Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

He'll probably have to do that once Cork diners blow their load during the first couple of months and bookings slow down.

I'll be happy to eat my words though. If this €95 dinner thing lasts a year or more fair play to him.

i wish him every success but i can't see it lasting too long with that menu... not in cork... such a place can only thrive with repeat customers and at that price he won't have many... and by the looks of his website he's not encouraging such either "once in a lifetime".. ekk - he might wanna get rid of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Getting some of the dishes to go in Miyazaki would definitely ruin them. I'm thinking of the Lemon Ramen in particular.

The lemon ramen isn't available as takeout. I've been wanting to try it, but when I go there's either no seat or it's not on the menu that day. :(

Always end up getting something amazingly tasty though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I passed Miyazaki today and had a look at the specials, they're prices seem to be more expensive than when I ate there not that long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Got Bao Boi last night. Very tasty.

Got the pork one with peanuts & wasabi and there was a special on with Smoked Haddock & Crab.

Meal deal for €10 is good. 1 bao with fries, a side & a drink. Definitely go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Seamai wrote: »
    I passed Miyazaki today and had a look at the specials, they're prices seem to be more expensive than when I ate there not that long ago.

They've definitely upped the price. They started charging for the egg in the ramen now. Used to come with it, now I think it's €1.50 extra. For an egg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Went for lunch to Sicilian Delights today, not really a panini fan but have to say it probably one of the best ones I've had. Tight squeeze in there so go early or late I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Just saw on Neil prendeville Twitter that Bad Boy Bbq has closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Valyawl wrote: »

On one level, I'm not surprised, I think they weren't sure what target market they were aiming for. That said, it's surprising because they are in a great location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Valyawl wrote: »

It was a really horrible looking place to sit in, a narrow strip down the side of the restaurant.
    Everything seemed to be served with chips and coleslaw. Nothing about the place drew me in and I live close by.
    I pass by there most Wednesdays and lately it hasn't been open on that day.

To be honest, I'm surprised that they lasted as long as they did.

I hope the markets side of their business survives, at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭DeadlyH83

Can anyone recommend any bars or restaurants which is baby/buggy friendly from your experience?
    Myself and my wife love going out for meals , we have a 18 month old boy and another on the way.
    Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

DeadlyH83 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend any bars or restaurants which is baby/buggy friendly from your experience?
    Myself and my wife love going out for meals , we have a 18 month old boy and another on the way.
    Thank you

Believe me I hear you as the father of a 2 year old, 3 month old & a 6 year old it's really restrictive speaking from experience and as a couple who love eating out.

I'm going to name a few places and some snobs in here will read in disgust but unfortunately you have to sacrifice some quality for the space to park a double buggy next to you and eat in piece.

Luigi Malone's

Cornstore

Linen Weaver

Crawford art gallery

SoHo

O'Sullivans (Douglas)

East Village (Douglas)

Boojum

Oliver Plunkett

Market Lane (tight but welcoming)

Elm Tree

Island Gate

The Barn

Titanic (Cobh)

Gilbert's (Cobh)

Waters Edge (Cobh)

Majority of Hotels.

Hope you get a chance to check out a few of these and if you find any more please pass them on.

It's great to get the kids out in a restaurant atmosphere from an early age to get them used to it & train them how to behave rather than putting your life on hold until they're 3 or 4 then they don't know how to react on their first visit to a restaurant and it can go very very wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thank you
    I was in Gallagher recently with my 3.5 year old and 9 month old. Great food and they were more than welcoming with the kids. We have eaten all over Cork with our kids and we have never had an issue anywhere tbh. I think the key is to eat a bit earlier than usual. Most places probably wouldn’t be too happy with you turning up with a buggy at 9pm! So we try and eat around 6/6:30

Hope you get a chance to check out a few of these and if you find any more please pass them on.

It's great to get the kids out in a restaurant atmosphere from an early age to get them used to it & train them how to behave rather than putting your life on hold until they're 3 or 4 then they don't know how to react on their first visit to a restaurant and it can go very very wrong.

Thank you for the detailed reply, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

We have been to Luigi's and it was great for the baby and buggy.

We were in the cornstore too at the jazz weekend upstairs and the staff were great.

We are regulars in the east village as living close enough to it, my favourite spot actually.
    Likewise Soho and we were in there on Easter Sunday actually , upstairs they had a children's entertainer going around to the kids which was a great idea and the reason we were in there.
    (I'll have to try listen out for more of these kind of meals with kids entertainment)

Blackrock inn are very welcoming too.

I'm going to start the trying the rest of your list now starting this evening at 5:30 maybe the market tavern?

Thanks again.

ncmc wrote: »
    I was in Gallagher recently with my 3.5 year old and 9 month old. Great food and they were more than welcoming with the kids. We have eaten all over Cork with our kids and we have never had an issue anywhere tbh. I think the key is to eat a bit earlier than usual. Most places probably wouldn’t be too happy with you turning up with a buggy at 9pm! So we try and eat around 6/6:30

Thanks,
    Ya we would never be later than 6 anyway when we go to places that we know and are comfortable there.
    Some places are better for kids tho offering paper and crayons and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Thank you

The Old Town Cafe in Mayfield - Breakfast/Lunch
    Cafe Beva - Glanmire
    Brook Inn - Glanmire

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Believe me I hear you as the father of a 2 year old, 3 month old & a 6 year old it's really restrictive speaking from experience and as a couple who love eating out.

I'm going to name a few places and some snobs in here will read in disgust but unfortunately you have to sacrifice some quality for the space to park a double buggy next to you and eat in piece.

Luigi Malone's

Cornstore

Linen Weaver

Crawford art gallery

SoHo

O'Sullivans (Douglas)

East Village (Douglas)

Boojum

Oliver Plunkett

Market Lane (tight but welcoming)

Elm Tree

Island Gate

The Barn

Titanic (Cobh)

Gilbert's (Cobh)

Waters Edge (Cobh)

Majority of Hotels.

Try the bishopstown bar sometime. Parking, lots of room for kids and buggy’s and food is lovely.. normally have family deals aswell where they give the kids ice cream too

Coqbull very accommodating too!

Coqbull very accommodating too!

Ya I was there recently we loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Market Lane is very accommodating in my experience too. Or you could take a leaf out of my OH’s book; wear baby in wrap and still eat at Bunsen :o

Thank you

market lane all the way - was there with relatives recently including my 2 yr old nephew and they could not have been any more helpful... high car, space for buggy, crayons and colouring book, baby bowl (which the adults loved too lol) - service is the bomb there

• Advertisement

sporina wrote: »
    market lane all the way - was there with relatives recently including my 2 yr old nephew and they could not have been any more helpful... high car, space for buggy, crayons and colouring book, baby bowl (which the adults loved too lol) - service is the bomb there

Ya those baby bowls are delicious lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Been an eat out week... Combination of parents anniversary and birthdays plus overseas visitors..
    Started with gourmandaise first time ever- 6 of eating. Most of us had starter tasting plate, it was the star of the meal, - everything as on the menu, and perfectly nice....(and a really nice French sav blanc) But lacking in wow factor...will try again though..
    Had a bite in bunny Connelans in myrtleville... It was nice (I just had a burger) service was really good and prompt.. And a cracking view...
    Big group of us had lunch in Mary Anne's in castletownshend... Great food.. Proper pub food... Not fancy fancy but great...leave room for dessert... The roulade is big enough for 2...😀
    Quinlans for fried squid and chips... 5 of us had calamari... (not mad on their homemade sweet chilli though)
    And.. The unexpected highlight of the week...
    Prory coffee company in youghal.... A-f#*kin- mazing toasties.... 8 bucks a pop.. But me fed for the day. Corination chicken, Cuban, and a blaa with slaw and pulled pork.... Think they've a place in city next to gate cinema in cinema too,
    And now to diet...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I had lunch with a friend in the Good Day Deli today. It was my first time and I loved it, I can see myself being a regular there. I had fish tacos and they were delicious. I actually went to school there so it was great to go back and see the renovations. Very impressed.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I had lunch with a friend in the Good Day Deli today. It was my first time and I loved it, I can see myself being a regular there. I had fish tacos and they were delicious. I actually went to school there so it was great to go back and see the renovations. Very impressed.

have to try that place - maybe on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Went to Aagrah (where Annie's used to be) for some Indian last night, and was pleasantly surprised. They have some unusual items on the menu in addition to your normal curries. My friend was a big fan of the peshwari rice, everyone was pleased with their curries and the naan were nice and crispy. I had a lamb dish with garlic, coriander, green chillies and tomatoes, was really nice. Clearly been cooking low and slow for ages, the lamb was fall apart tender. Will definitely be back there as the other Indian offerings in town aren't on my favourites list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

have to try that place - maybe on Sunday
    Where is that place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

roundymac wrote: »
    Where is that place?

The Good Day Deli? It's in Nano Nagle place, on Douglas St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

nerwen wrote: »
    Went to Aagrah (where Annie's used to be) for some Indian last night, and was pleasantly surprised. They have some unusual items on the menu in addition to your normal curries. My friend was a big fan of the peshwari rice, everyone was pleased with their curries and the naan were nice and crispy. I had a lamb dish with garlic, coriander, green chillies and tomatoes, was really nice. Clearly been cooking low and slow for ages, the lamb was fall apart tender. Will definitely be back there as the other Indian offerings in town aren't on my favourites list.

Is this the lads from Gaylords?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Brunch in Salt, brilliant as always, went for the breakfast tacos instead of the Kiwi Brunch for a change and it was damn good, love their coffee too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The long table bookings are opening up May 2nd I heard... I'm slightly put off by the price. First year we went, it was 45 euro, second run was 70, and now it's 100. I mean, it is a great night, we have always enjoyed it.. but are they upping the food level too? Maybe they include the booze this time or something. 

Was out at Frogs Attack event in L'attitude 51 there last week. 
    Food was very good... beautiful salad, fantastic roast pork with wild garlic oil... decent chocolate fondant with rhubarb and a nice cheese place. But they should have kept it to the food. My god I wanted to push the 'entertainment' out a 3rd floor window. Exceptionally loud, obnoxious, sweaty and annoying french creep, who was jumping up on tables beating a drum in peoples faces while he played some ****e, loudly on a laptop at the bar. The wine they offered, weirdly, for a well regarded wine bar, was  atrocious. It was an event run by wine sellers it seemed, who had some irish buddies who occasionally went over to pick the grapes. All buddy buddy, great fun lads. Hate to break it to ye, but that was real paint-stripper stuff, mainly tasted of pure ethanol. Couldn't get past the first mouthful. Popped next door to El Fenix, who had a fecking amazing jazz band in and a great set of beers on top. Should have taken our food in there instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Went to elbow lane for the 1st time last night food was fantastic.

I had the best breaket roll to start it was cooked perfect and melt in your mouth.

After I had the ribs they were also cooked perfect and tasted so nice the sauce in there is to die foor. I had chips on the side and only thing I would say I would like more then 10 chips.

Both the mother and the girlfirend had rib eye with chips and both loved it said it was melt in your mouth.

After we all had the mouse and it was just perfect.

Was the perfect meal and enjoyed it a lot. Will defo go back soon. I am still smelling the smoke of me today ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

We are in The Coach House restaurant in the Old Imperial hotel in Youghal yesterday,
    Food lovely I had a chicken and prawn Madras my wife had chicken and ham roast of the day and our 18 month old had a baby bowl.
    Menu variety was huge.
    Our table server was excellent.
    Our problem was that our 6 year old is very fussy so all she wanted was garlic bread without the garlic so basically what normally comes out is a toasted baguette or toasted ciabatta but as you can see from my picture what came out looked like two bits of brown toast that were left over from breakfast & to add insult to injury we were charged €3 for it, we didn't want to cause a fuss at the time because our 18 month olds baby bowl was complimentary.
    One other tiny niggle was that I got a toasted wrap with my Madras as opposed to the naan bread that was advertised.
    As I said our food was lovely, menu was huge, service was great but small things like a mentioned would deter us from returning.

After we all had the mouse and it was just perfect.

:eek: :pac:

Have to try Elbow Lane ASAP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

D'Agger wrote: »
    :eek: :pac:

Have to try Elbow Lane ASAP

I could imagine a few restaurants where you've already had that !!! ;)

I've gone there twice and both times the wait time was too long for us, given the time of night we went, must make a point of going to town early and having a pint or two while we wait next time because it's food that's right up my street and I haven't heard one bad word about it since it opened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I actually went for the first time sunday evening. I must say the steak was fab. They sprinkle it with a mix of something... spices im assuming with the torch over it. I had a panna cotta for dessert which was yummy too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Elbow Lane is one of my regulars; really lovely staff in there, and they do have great attention to detail on everything (starters, cocktails, desserts etc.)

The only things I could quibble about are a relatively limited menu. For me, it's a choice of steak or fish. I'm not a massive steak person, and the fish is always on the bone which kinda ruins the dish for me - I spend more time pulling bones out of my mouth than eating.

I still go for the starters, cocktails and desserts though! :)

• Advertisement

who_me wrote: »
    Elbow Lane is one of my regulars; really lovely staff in there, and they do have great attention to detail on everything (starters, cocktails, desserts etc.)

The only things I could quibble about are a relatively limited menu. For me, it's a choice of steak or fish. I'm not a massive steak person, and the fish is always on the bone which kinda ruins the dish for me - I spend more time pulling bones out of my mouth than eating.

Maybe that's on purpose and a sly dig for not ordering some delicious, juicy steak

would they not take the fish off the bone for you if you asked? most restaurants do this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

would they not take the fish off the bone for you if you asked? most restaurants do this

Might give that a go - they certainly offer to take off the head & tail but never mentioned (and I never asked) them to take it off the bone. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Might give that a go - they certainly offer to take off the head & tail but never mentioned (and I never asked) them to take it off the bone. Thanks.

Do, or have a google yourself how to pull them out in one piece. I love deboning a cooked fish myself. That feeling when you get that whole cartoon-like fish skeleton!

Elbow lane is dark is the only thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Any reports from Ichigo Ichie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Any reports from Ichigo Ichie?

There are four reviews on google review with pictures: e.g. https://goo.gl/maps/Tc1GM2EKkSm
    Sorry cannot directly link all here
    We had seats at the Chefs Table and were not disappointed! If you know Miyazaki already, you are coming in with certain expectations and they were met. When I’m
    Saying it’s an experience, I don’t just mean watching the Chef prepare each of the 12 courses for you or explaining the details of each meal, it’s the combination of tastes and textures that really did it for me! Most ingredients are simply adding something to it instead of dominating the whole thing.
    Ichigo Ichie roughly translates into “once in a lifetime” and even though I appreciate the sentiment, I have to say it’s definitely not once in a lifetime as I’m coming back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Hello all,
    Firstly, apologies for this somewhat vague enquiry.
    I visited a new bar in the city some months ago - a really nice one, in the old style. It is also a restaurant. But I have forgotten its name and exact address. It is near the English Market (not Mutton Lane). Can someone help me with its name and location please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

Hello all,
    Firstly, apologies for this somewhat vague enquiry.
    I visited a new bar in the city some months ago - a really nice one, in the old style. It is also a restaurant. But I have forgotten its name and exact address. It is near the English Market (not Mutton Lane). Can someone help me with its name and location please?

Oyster Tavern?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Dbu wrote: »
    Oyster Tavern?

Yes that's it. Thank you.

i see that there is a gelato place open on paul street - gino's? any connection to gino's that use to be on winthrop st?
    it will take business from cassanova i'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

i see that there is a gelato place open on paul street - gino's? any connection to gino's that use to be on winthrop st?
    it will take business from cassanova i'd say

Don't think they are the same Gino's. They are a chain from Dublin I think?

Yeah they are always packed. Great location in fairness. Haven't tried it yet.. Shame if they were to have a big effect on Casanova, I love that place!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement