Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Don't think they are the same Gino's. They are a chain from Dublin I think?

Yeah they are always packed. Great location in fairness. Haven't tried it yet.. Shame if they were to have a big effect on Casanova, I love that place!

yeah i didn't really think it was connected to gino's on winthrop.
    yeah not tried it yet either - wonder if its as authentic as casanova - era it might be ok - its quiet unique and prob has regulars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Second ginos opening on Oliver Plunkett Street...
    And assume coming to a shopping centre near you soon too... The place is very cool but the ice cream is only OK....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    And assume coming to a shopping centre near you soon too... The place is very cool but the ice cream is only OK....

not as good as casanova? its v v good in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Markcheese wrote: »

I also think that €3.50 for a single scoop is pretty saucy. Casanova is €2.90
    Little Italy inWilton SC does a nice scoop for €2.50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

If it’s the same Ginos as the one in Dublin then it’s average at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Slightly off topic, when your out for a meal with your partner of the opposite sex and the waitress(normally) comes up and says, "are you ready to order guys" does it annoy people. There is one guy and one woman at the table. I know it drives me effing mad and my wife dos'nt like it either. Just wondering what other people think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

roundymac wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, when your out for a meal with your partner of the opposite sex and the waitress(normally) comes up and says, "are you ready to order guys" does it annoy people. There is one guy and one woman at the table. I know it drives me effing mad and my wife dos'nt like it either. Just wondering what other people think.

Do you mean referring to a mixed group as guys? No, doesn’t bother me ... I do it myself all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭wally1990

bee06 wrote: »
    Do you mean referring to a mixed group as guys? No, doesn’t bother me ... I do it myself all the time.

I’ve noticed it but doesn’t bother me or my partner in the slightest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I think you'd be better off not leaving the house, lol.

Tis just a bit American, but totally harmless.

i think its gender neutral these days - comes from the states I guess.. TV influence perhaps..

I wouldn't be annoyed/offended by it - but it would depend on the type of establishment I think - if its somewhere casual - fine but if its somewhere a bit more upmarket, then I might find it inappropriate

what would be an appropriate alternative for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Folks I do get my own back, its reflected in the size of the tip we leave. For guys, 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That would be fine, but I wouldn't be too precious about it. Basically, familiar but not overly so. Certainly not over formal. Prefer a relaxed athmosphere overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

What's the correct gender-neutral term for a mixed group then?

"Hello humans, are you ready to order?"

Folks I do get my own back, its reflected in the size of the tip we leave. For guys, 0.

Wow, it must be tiring being offended by stuff like that.

Wow, it must be tiring being offended by stuff like that.

he he

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Apt8

I find it more irritating when you're trying to have a conversation and you get interrupted with the standard everything ok here??

Yeah don't worry, if I find any severed fingers in here I'll be sure to let you know.

Or when you're again interrupted by someone trying to take away your half eaten dinner.

That's the sort of stuff that irks me, rather than being a child and withholding tips from friendly wait staff for trying to be friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I constantly refer to a group of women or mixed group as guys. Like "Whats up guys?" Whats offensive about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

rob316 wrote: »
    I constantly refer to a group of women or mixed group as guys. Like "Whats up guys?" Whats offensive about that?
    The same as the waitress calling you "love" :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I really must stop being surprised by the insaneness of the world these days.

Wow.

Anyway, went to Ichigo Ichie recently. I must say my thoughts were mixed. The venue is great. They have made a very cool space. My thoughts are framed by the fact that the bill was €250+ for 2 with drinks and tip... Service was good and friendly. Meal lasted 2 hours exactly. The food just didn't do enough for me given the price. A few of the courses were plain and the textures didn't work for me. Some were great but thinking back the overall impression of the food wasn't fantastic. Overall it was a good night, but would I go back for that price? I probably wouldn't. Have booked in for another night later in the summer at the chefs table but I'm leaning towards cancelling it.

Anyone else here go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

This is like a post from the stingy thread. Sounds like a very petty reason not to give a tip..

Apt8 wrote: »
    I find it more irritating when you're trying to have a conversation and you get interrupted with the standard everything ok here??

Yeah don't worry, if I find any severed fingers in here I'll be sure to let you know.

Or when you're again interrupted by someone trying to take away your half eaten dinner.

That's the sort of stuff that irks me, rather than being a child and withholding tips from friendly wait staff for trying to be friendly.

oh gosh - to think that you came on here to post that... gee.... well, you obviously have v v little in life to moan about ... good for you..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Easily avoided. Simply inform them when you make the booking that you don't wish to be addressed as 'you guys'.
    Might I suggest 'you knobheads' as an alternative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

'You guys, you guys kill me.'

Apt8 wrote: »

I really must stop being surprised by the insaneness of the world these days.

Wow.

Anyway, went to Ichigo Ichie recently. I must say my thoughts were mixed. The venue is great. They have made a very cool space. My thoughts are framed by the fact that the bill was €250+ for 2 with drinks and tip... Service was good and friendly. Meal lasted 2 hours exactly. The food just didn't do enough for me given the price. A few of the courses were plain and the textures didn't work for me. Some were great but thinking back the overall impression of the food wasn't fantastic. Overall it was a good night, but would I go back for that price? I probably wouldn't. Have booked in for another night later in the summer at the chefs table but I'm leaning towards cancelling it.

Anyone else here go?

"once in a lifetime"

still baffles me that they called the restaurant as much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭bizz213

No doesnt bother me or my partner at all. If anything it makes it casual and friendly between you and staff which is something that i do like when eating out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I have enough stresses in my life, so long as the service is prompt and friendly I don’t care whether they call me ‘guys’ or ‘madam’ or whatever term is the middle ground between those two.

I’m there to enjoy good food and company, not to be keeping mental tally of things like that. How exhausting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I want to record a skit whereby a person gets food at a restaurant, looks left, looks right, nobody around him/her...looks left and right again, nobody to be seen. Takes a bite of food and boom, there's a waiter there saying 'Is everything okay for you here?'

I find there's no issue with asking, it just seems to be asked every time I've taken a large bite of my food :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

D'Agger wrote: »
    I want to record a skit whereby a person gets food at a restaurant, looks left, looks right, nobody around him/her...looks left and right again, nobody to be seen. Takes a bite of food and boom, there's a waiter there saying 'Is everything okay for you here?'

Don't give up the day job :p

Ludo wrote: »
    Don't give up the day job :p
    Clearly this needs to be filmed for full effect :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭WhoElse

Will definitely still try Ichigo Ichie, I would have to do Chef's table though, for that money. 

Regards using 'guys' as gender neutral, it;s very american, but there's no good gender-neutral vernacular phrase to cover it. Ladies and gentlemen is VERY formal. Cutting a tip over a well meant phrase is kind of mean. 

Regards "is everything OK here", that's just best practice. The best time for waitstaff to check back to make sure nothing's been missed is the few minutes after food has been delivered and assessed by the customers. Especially in Ireland where customers sit quiet and fume rather than flag issues. It gives you the chance to call out any missing items, condiments or changes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

This thread is gone waaaaaaaaay off topic. Lets keep the etiquette chat out of here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I find there's no issue with asking, it just seems to be asked every time I've taken a large bite of my food :pac:

It's definitely a skill. Ask the customer when their mouth's full, then they can't complain.

I usually make a "you got me again!" joke with the waitress/waiter when this happens. Usually with lots of pointing, smiling and food flying out of my mouth. :)

Has anyone been to Tequila Jacks recently? I went after it opened and it was grand but a bit lacking in flavour. Just wondering if it had improved over the last few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

Had a meal in El Vino Douglas at the weekend
    First time there and have to say was impressed with the food.
    We shared 4 tapas and had a bottle of vino. €60 odd
    The prawns in bacon were yum, will go again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Has anyone been to Tequila Jacks recently? I went after it opened and it was grand but a bit lacking in flavour. Just wondering if it had improved over the last few months.

I actually went last week and was pretty impressed. The food fell a bit flat for me when it opened as well, but it was great this time. The salsa verde was one thing that our entire table agreed was outstanding, as were the sides of beans. Overall we agreed the food was good, occasionally surprisingly spicy and the margaritas were great.

Service went from ok to quite slow throughout the evening, so not too impressed on that. I wont hesitate to go again for the food and drink though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Another review for ichigo-ichie:
    https://www.guides.ie/megabites/having-taken-cork-city-storm-takashi-miyazaki%E2%80%99s-new-kaiseki-restaurant-ichigo-ichie-shows

Went to the Barn Restaurant recently. They didn’t have fillet steak anymore after the weekend, what surprised me on a Tuesday. Anyway had the rib eye steak that was delivered blue as requested. And I cannot tell you how often I ordered blue and got medium. Cannot fault it and the veggies/potatoes added. Overall it feels like a journey back in time, especially as the Christmas decoration was still up. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'll probably be in the City tomorrow at some stage, what do people make of Wow burger?

I've tried the rest and son of a bun just pips Bunsen for me, to the best burger in town.

2 people in work reckon wow is like five guys, not a bad thing, I liked five guys burgers in NY. :o

I'll just be going for the burger too, not overly bothered about sides/shakes/drinks menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'll probably be in the City tomorrow at some stage, what do people make of Wow burger?

I've tried the rest and son of a bun just pips Bunsen for me, to the best burger in town.

2 people in work reckon wow is like five guys, not a bad thing, I liked five guys burgers in NY. :o

I'll just be going for the burger too, not overly bothered about sides/shakes/drinks menu.

Its my go-to place for burgers. I'd rate it as better than Son of a Bun, Coqbull, and Bunsen.
    I actually agree that its very like Five Guys. I'd really recommend it.

GavRedKing wrote: »

Burgers are decent there although Son of a Bun still leads the pack for me.

I know you specified you're not interested in shakes etc. but I've had the salted caramel shake there twice and it's very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I really like Wow Burger also, definitely very similar to Five Guys.

West Cork Burger is great too if you haven't tried it.

• Advertisement

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Its my go-to place for burgers. I'd rate it as better than Son of a Bun, Coqbull, and Bunsen.
    I actually agree that its very like Five Guys. I'd really recommend it.

Cheers for the advice, herself seems up for it too which is always a good sign.
    Burgers are decent there although Son of a Bun still leads the pack for me.

I know you specified you're not interested in shakes etc. but I've had the salted caramel shake there twice and it's very good

Ya, of all the places, I'ver tried so far, I'd rate son of a bun as best, herself thinks Coqbull is best but I'd reckon Bunsen is better than Coqbull but behind S.O.A.B.

If i see a decent shale I might try it, I used to enjoy Eddie Rocket Malt shakes YEARS ago but havent had a decent shake in Cork in a long time.
    I really like Wow Burger also, definitely very similar to Five Guys.

West Cork Burger is great too if you haven't tried it.

I'll have to give it a go when I'm in there, I'm assuming theres pudding or something on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

With West Cork burger you can choose from some set menu burgers or completely build your own from scratch, I think they may have some pudding options but it's definitely not a central component or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Are all these burger places sit-down, licensed restaurants, or are some of them just more like takeaways?

I've only been to Coqbull (didn't really rate it) and Gourmet Burger, but wouldn't mind trying somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Had a lunch with a few friends in Bobo Cafe in the basement of the Glucksman Gallery in UCC during the week, everyone was very happy with the food. Looks like the menu changes regularly as well which will tempt me back.

Malari wrote: »
    Are all these burger places sit-down, licensed restaurants, or are some of them just more like takeaways?

I've only been to Coqbull (didn't really rate it) and Gourmet Burger, but wouldn't mind trying somewhere else.

They're all sit down places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Has anyone eaten in the new Italian that's gone in where Star Anise used to be yet? Passed there today and the menu looks small but nice. It was closed when I passed so not sure is it only open evenings or if it's not actually opened yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

HS Rachael’s officially closed or what’s the story lads ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That was rumoured before, but wasn't true. Someone here, was in fairly recently and said , it was quite busy.
    But, don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

Anyone here tried Joes and Bros on Gillabbey St. Really decent sandwiches and good brunch. Mostly student clientel which is to be expected. Been a good few times and always happy with what I've got. Check it out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

MrMac84 wrote: »
    HS Rachael’s officially closed or what’s the story lads ?

They're currently hiring staff and had a Facebook post up yesterday saying "Something exciting coming soon..." so if they have, it must have been quite the shocker!

--

Finally made it to Iyers last week. Some of the best food I've had in Cork in a very, very long time. Delicious - and really well priced. Staff were brilliant too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement