Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭sporina

i have been to Casanova, Gino's and Vanilla..

Gelato is made with milk not cream (ice cream)

IMO Casanova is streets ahead of Gino's gelato wise..

Vanilla is top dog Ice cream..

Overall I prefer Vanilla as I prefer Ice cream - stays firmer longer.. Gelato melts v fast..

Casanova has a great setting though - it gets the sun a lot of the time

Vanilla on the other hand does not get much sun but I love their products - great selection - great quality - and its a great place to go - cafe feel - you can stay a while - great coffee and service too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

West Cork Burger is superb. Probably the best chips in Cork and the burgers are really, really nice. Much more filling and satifsying than Son Of A Bun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

siblers wrote: »
    West Cork Burger is superb. Probably the best chips in Cork and the burgers are really, really nice. Much more filling and satifsying than Son Of A Bun

It really is and the staff are great too. It's so small though I hope it's doing well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

sporina wrote: »
    i have been to Casanova, Gino's and Vanilla..

Gelato is made with milk not cream (ice cream)

IMO Casanova is streets ahead of Gino's gelato wise..

Vanilla is top dog Ice cream..

Overall I prefer Vanilla as I prefer Ice cream - stays firmer longer.. Gelato melts v fast..

Casanova has a great setting though - it gets the sun a lot of the time

Vanilla on the other hand does not get much sun but I love their products - great selection - great quality - and its a great place to go - cafe feel - you can stay a while - great coffee and service too

Out of curiosity, where are you getting the idea that gelato doesn’t contain cream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Out of curiosity, where are you getting the idea that gelato doesn’t contain cream?

The definition of it, probably.

It’s milk based, not cream. That’s why you get the insta-puddle with gelato.

pwurple wrote: »
    The definition of it, probably.

It’s milk based, not cream. That’s why you get the insta-puddle with gelato.

What definition? Where’s the additional fat content coming from?

What definition? Where’s the additional fat content coming from?

What additional fat? It is lower fat content. That’s why they serve it at the warmer temp too, so not rock solid.

What additional fat? It is lower fat content. That’s why they serve it at the warmer temp too, so not rock solid.

What percentage fat do you think gelato is? Could it be the density requires the higher temperature?

What percentage fat do you think gelato is? Could it be the density requires the higher temperature?

Density doesn’t affect melting point, so... no, it wouldn’t be that.

% fat varies with flavour.

What’s your beef anyway? Making the stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Gelato seems to be close to, frozen custard as in the US. Less overrun (air), and containing egg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Water John wrote: »
    Gelato seems to be close to, frozen custard as in the US. Less overrun (air), and containing egg.

Well ice-cream is basically frozen custard.

Maybe this will explain https://amp.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-ice-cream-and-gelato-word-of-mouth-119657

Frozen Custard as a frozen dessert treat began in NY in 1909. Mainly now in Mid West US. It has to contain egg. It's made fresh and not stored.
    Seems to be another variation. Sorry if off topic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Mardyke wrote: »
    Each to their own, but that Long Table thing is losing the run of itself.

It's a fantastic idea, and I was interested in it until I heard it cost €95! What a rip off.

And now the same shower are shaking people down for €65 to listen to the likes of Cantillon waffle on with a few tapas! You'd expect it from the CBA and Nash sort of crowd.

I suppose if people are willing to do it...!

What??? Feck that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭Harika

Each to their own, but that Long Table thing is losing the run of itself.

It's a fantastic idea, and I was interested in it until I heard it cost €95! What a rip off.

And now the same shower are shaking people down for €65 to listen to the likes of Cantillon waffle on with a few tapas! You'd expect it from the CBA and Nash sort of crowd.

I suppose if people are willing to do it...!

Was at the long table yesterday, and while 95 Euro for a meal with wine and cocktails seem much, myself and the wife were happy enough. Food was very nice. The kicker of this event is the location, that several Cork restaurants and shops are working together to feed 400 people at the same time. It's an event and experience.
    And with all the demand, I would think they go up next time in price, as they cannot expand to more tables.

https://twitter.com/HariKa65612824/status/1011143766504288257

Harika wrote: »
    Was at the long table yesterday, and while 95 Euro for a meal with wine and cocktails seem much, myself and the wife were happy enough. Food was very nice. The kicker of this event is the location, that several Cork restaurants and shops are working together to feed 400 people at the same time. It's an event and experience.
    And with all the demand, I would think they go up next time in price, as they cannot expand to more tables.

https://twitter.com/HariKa65612824/status/1011143766504288257

Great weather you had for it. I saw the photos, looked beautiful. Glad you enjoyed it, that menu was the same as we had on the walking version. (Our lamb was outstanding, did it work for that size group?)

• Advertisement

Great weather you had for it. I saw the photos, looked beautiful. Glad you enjoyed it, that menu was the same as we had on the walking version. (Our lamb was outstanding, did it work for that size group?)

Yes all went fantastic, the organisation of the whole event was top notch.
    All courses worked very well and it was funny to see 400 oysters being carried past you. My wife who wouldn't eat fish or lamb usually liked all courses, so sad that I couldn't get more extra courses from courses she wouldn't eat. :D
    And with the weather there was sunshine till 18:30 down the road and then it was still nice and warm till the end at 20:30, very lucky with the weather. That's how you live the life.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Yep it is a fantastic event and a huge success story so it's hard to argue with the price in that respect.

My point was that it was touted (or maybe I got it wrong) as a Cork Midsummer event, which to my knowledge, are community events for all.

I didn't get the feeling it was available to all. I'd say tickets were held aside for friends of the CBA shower. I probably get turned off by their involvement based on their attitude lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Lots of Midsummer events are ticketed and, therefore, not available to all, realistically. Limited capacity and pricing always renders some people out of the loop.

I've never been to the Long Table dinner but my interpretation is that it's no more closed off than the Everyman plays held as part of Midsummer - Asking for It this year - the Opera House concerts held (Hauschka, for e.g) or the Corcadorca plays held in Fitzgeralds Park, all of which are ticketed and priced.

----

Anyway, I actually came here with a request. Any good lunch take out options? Somewhere to grab a sandwich or salad and go into the park or something. I feel like I always stick to the same few - East, rocket Man, loving salads - but wouldn't mind trying something new if there was a recommendation. City centre preferably. Sandwiches or salads please!

Lots of Midsummer events are ticketed and, therefore, not available to all, realistically. Limited capacity and pricing always renders some people out of the loop.

I've never been to the Long Table dinner but my interpretation is that it's no more closed off than the Everyman plays held as part of Midsummer - Asking for It this year - the Opera House concerts held (Hauschka, for e.g) or the Corcadorca plays held in Fitzgeralds Park, all of which are ticketed and priced.

----

Anyway, I actually came here with a request. Any good lunch take out options? Somewhere to grab a sandwich or salad and go into the park or something. I feel like I always stick to the same few - East, rocket Man, loving salads - but wouldn't mind trying something new if there was a recommendation. City centre preferably. Sandwiches or salads please!

Chopped in Spar has opened - entrance from patrick street and paul street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I think Twenty on Anglesea St is a brilliant sandwich spot. They do about 7 or 8 warm baguette choices and some of the same fillings as salads. Yummy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Orso is great for a takeaway lunch. And you can order online and they'll have it ready for you at whatever time you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The Bookshelf opening under the elysian, where el vino used to be.

Yep it is a fantastic event and a huge success story so it's hard to argue with the price in that respect.

My point was that it was touted (or maybe I got it wrong) as a Cork Midsummer event, which to my knowledge, are community events for all.

I didn't get the feeling it was available to all. I'd say tickets were held aside for friends of the CBA shower. I probably get turned off by their involvement based on their attitude lately.

As far as I know, each of the participating suppliers and restaurants got a couple of tickets each. So, for example, that smoked salmon was donated, and the supplier got tickets. Ditto for spuds, cheese, etc.

That probably left ~300 out of 400 tickets. They were sold in bunches of 4. Which is by my guess around 75 transactions.

I don't know who the "CBA Shower" are.

The Reuben in the Sandwich Stall in the market is pretty damn tasty.
    Cafe Velo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Lapse

Hi any recommendations of places with outdoor seating? Does'nt necessarily have to be in city centre.

Was in the Montenotte Hotel last week for a meal. Great spot to chill out with a meal or drinks on these fine evenings, with a wonderful view over the city. Highly recommended for the location alone.

Was in the Montenotte Hotel last week for a meal. Great spot to chill out with a meal or drinks on these fine evenings, with a wonderful view over the city. Highly recommended for the location alone.

Yep was there on Friday night for a work do. It was a barbecue but the food was savage. And in this weather you can't beat the views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

Stopped in The Maryborough hotel for something to eat in the bar last week

Was really disappointing, 2 burgers €17 each and the burger was just like something from a big Als packet.
    It was just slapped on a plate in a brioche bun with a few chips and a few salad leaves with a drizzle of dressing.
    Had eaten the the restaurant before and was nice, but the bar menu and the food we had last week means we wont be rushing back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Lapse wrote: »
    Hi any recommendations of places with outdoor seating? Does'nt necessarily have to be in city centre.

There aren't very many, to be honest, other than pub/restaurants which have tables outside.

I like the River Lee river terrace too. The food's good,not fantastic; but it's a sun-trap in the evenings, by the river, watching the world pass by.

Docklands has some outside tables, and next door, is it Tequila Jacks? Greenes has a courtyard with outdoor tables.
    The street with cocbull on it has a few tables on it. Does liberty grill have a few?

There are beer gardens around then as well. The sextant, and some other pubs up barrack street. Tom Barrys?

And the cafe’s. In Fitzgerald’s park the Natural Food Bakery, and their place in Blackrock as well. Salt on Victoria road.

Actually, Blackrock castle has outdoor tables in the courtyard.
    Where else... douglas... I think Gogo’s has some.

• Advertisement

In the Montenotte your looking down on their own beautiful garden too.
    My tempura fish was lovely. The starter with four small stuffed mushrooms could do with two more companions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Nano Nagles does I think?

As far as I know, each of the participating suppliers and restaurants got a couple of tickets each. So, for example, that smoked salmon was donated, and the supplier got tickets. Ditto for spuds, cheese, etc.

That probably left ~300 out of 400 tickets. They were sold in bunches of 4. Which is by my guess around 75 transactions.

I don't know who the "CBA Shower" are.

So was it difficult to get tickets for this event? PS The CBA is the Cork Business Association I assume

sporina wrote: »
    So was it difficult to get tickets for this event? PS The CBA is the Cork Business Association I assume

Yes we were lucky that we checked the website at 18:15, when the sale started at 19:00. At this time we were already queued and got the tickets when the sale started at 19:00. We joined with more PCs/mobile phones afterwards from 18:20 on, but when it was those devices turn, the tickets were already sold out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Docklands has some outside tables, and next door, is it Tequila Jacks? Greenes has a courtyard with outdoor tables.
    The street with cocbull on it has a few tables on it. Does liberty grill have a few?

There are beer gardens around then as well. The sextant, and some other pubs up barrack street. Tom Barrys?

And the cafe’s. In Fitzgerald’s park the Natural Food Bakery, and their place in Blackrock as well. Salt on Victoria road.

Actually, Blackrock castle has outdoor tables in the courtyard.
    Where else... douglas... I think Gogo’s has some.

A few on French Church St. alright (Strasbourg Goose, Harvey's, Bunsen, Coqbull, 14a). I don't think Liberty Grill has any, unless there's something out the back? (unlikely).

In Douglas, Barry's and the South County have outdoor areas, Ramen has a small sun-trap too. El Vino too.

what are you looking for? because there are lots of places - of different kinds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Just saw on FB that Huckleberrys are done.

I saw that too, wow that is a surprise. It was discussed here that them have the best chance of survival of all the donut shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Surprised but a combination of a downturn in the donut fad and a 2nd store was probably what killed them.

Looks like the shack and the one by the opera house have won out.

Fair dues to huckleberrys owner he gave it everthing, all over social media they were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭.red.

rob316 wrote: »
    Surprised but a combination of a downturn in the donut fad and a 2nd store was probably what killed them.

Looks like the shack and the one by the opera house have won out.

Fair dues to huckleberrys owner he gave it everthing, all over social media they were.
    I'm surprised they lasted so long, they weren't very nice(imo) and very expensive.
    We got 4 donuts for €5 in Dunnes last week. Boston cremes and Nutella/ferero rocher but they had lots of different ones. They were really nice and good value. Considering most people get donuts as take away then places like Dunnes and Super Value would have had a massive effect on them.

That's a shame. I'm not into the doughnut thing, but I hope they didn't lose their shirts and can start something else.

He'll start something else no doubt, he seems pretty savvy. Good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

Anyone reports on da Mirco Osteria on bridge street ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

whatever76 wrote: »
    Anyone reports on da Mirco Osteria on bridge street ?

I've heard it's very good.
    Nice simple menu.
    Looks good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭RINO87

The Donut shack appear to be doing something right, they're opening on O'Connell St. in Limerick too..
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/321888/donut-effect-new-food-outlet-to-open-at-former-wacky-shoes-unit-in-limerick.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭timtim2016

Just wondering has anyone any recommendations for quirky or unusual spots in or preferably around county cork. Like The Fish Basket or The workshop, Skinnys in Bally cotton, Divas bakery, toonsbridge dairy etc. Cafes, chip vans anything

Suggest Toonsbridge cafe. On the Macroom - Inchigeelagh road. Only open at weekends. Haven't been in a good while.
    Great idea Timtim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭timtim2016

Suggest Toonsbridge cafe. On the Macroom - Inchigeelagh road. Only open at weekends. Haven't been in a good while.
    Great idea Timtim.

Great spot, hopefully there is a few hidden gems out there. With all this good weather it's great to go for a drive or walk to somewhere new.

Alchemy in the lough I found also very alternative. And there is http://www.fooddepotireland.com in courtmacsherry. Gourmet food truck only open on weekends

M/s Dodog, she used to run a shack in the West Cork Technology Park. Must call to Courtmac to try that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement