Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

roundymac wrote: »
    I miss Star Anise.:(

yep i miss star anise too..

must try docklands though - apparently its has the same owners as club brasserie which i also liked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

sporina wrote: »

must try docklands though - apparently its has the same owners as club brasserie which i also liked

I was there the other night...Dockland, that is. It's a lovely looking restaurant, though quite dark at the back, and very noisy! We were both happy with what we had, tasty, if perhaps a bit on the small side, portion-wise. And they seemed to be selling 150ml glasses of wine, or someone was being tight with the pouring. Reasonable prices - would probably return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Malari wrote: »
    I was there the other night...Dockland, that is. It's a lovely looking restaurant, though quite dark at the back, and very noisy! We were both happy with what we had, tasty, if perhaps a bit on the small side, portion-wise. And they seemed to be selling 150ml glasses of wine, or someone was being tight with the pouring. Reasonable prices - would probably return.
    Where's that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

roundymac wrote: »
    Where's that?

Next to Tequila Jack on Lapp's Quay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

i miss fenn's quay

Kate has taken over Oyster tavern kitchen. Head in there instead.

• Advertisement

Yup, or if you’re are old as me... they ran Harold’s before that.

pwurple wrote: »
    Yup, or if you’re are old as me... they ran Harold’s before that.

no i wasn't around for Harolds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

People here seem to like it.
    I didn't think there was great flavour from the patties but I did like the fact that their standard burger is 2 thinner patties rather than one thick one.

No flavour from the meat, found myself adding salt to the burger is which something I would not normally do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No flavour from the meat, found myself adding salt to the burger is which something I would not normally do.

Not just me!!!

I think the flavour from the bunsen meat is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Finally went to Ichigo Ichie, absolutely loved it.

Not really a raw fish person, which wasn't a problem at all as there was only really raw fish twice. 1 of the nigiri pieces and 1 out of the 3 sashimi were raw, the rest were all treated in some way.

My favourite dishes:
    - The ume plum tofu which was this amazing soft jelly consistency with a combination of flavours that blew me away
    - The pork belly and daikon soup which felt a lot like Japanese bacon and cabbage with the most amazing broth
    - The little seaweed amuse-bouche which had the texture of glass noodles and was pickled in I think a dashi vinegar? It was great anyway
    - Honourable mentions to the egg custard with chicken thigh, my brain couldn't compute the texture of panacotta in a savoury dish

Took some pics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Would you be full after eating in Ichigo?

We were. But I wouldn't bring someone there who "likes a big feed". I've brought an american to elbow lane before, they ate 2 steaks and a few sides, and still wanted to stop for pizza on the way home.

I was stuffed.
    Average eater would be full.
    Big eater might be a little hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

The pictures are really helpful NERWEN thanks. I don't know if it would be for me, I love my food, I don't think it would be the portion size that would bother me, I'm sure the flavours are amazing but it's not crying out to me to try it. I think the Cod Roe has put me off, I don't like that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

I'm not a really big eater, but I was stuffed.

If you like Japanese food I'd heartily recommend it Oleander, roe or no. You can always kind of brush that aside. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

It's expensive stuff to be brushing aside, but yeah that's what I would do!! I do like Japanese food, and I know the flavours must be amazing. We have two friends who will be going separately so we'll see what they say, but maybe we'll give it a go sometime.

Regarding Ichigo Ichie, I'm kind funny when it comes to fish. I don't like very "fishy" tastes - I don't like anchovies or any tinned fish, for example. I also don't like roe but these element are really tiny on the plate.

I don't have any problems with raw or marinated fish. When I was there most of the fish was, essentially, raw. Some was pressed, some aged, some marinated and some very lightly flamed but it was all, to my mind, basically raw.

If you can get over this idea/texture you will find that the flavours aren't strongly fishy at all.

I want to go again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Anyone heard anything about Bao Boi lately? No social media activity for a few weeks - and they had been very busy up to that point (actually couldn't even find their Instagram page today!) - and the place has been closed the last few times I passed (though that wouldn't have necessarily been at busy times).

Would be a shame if it was closed. There seemed to be a lot of interest in some quarters for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Anyone heard anything about Bao Boi lately? No social media activity for a few weeks - and they had been very busy up to that point (actually couldn't even find their Instagram page today!) - and the place has been closed the last few times I passed (though that wouldn't have necessarily been at busy times).

Would be a shame if it was closed. There seemed to be a lot of interest in some quarters for it.

I went once, I did enjoy the food but I found it extremely overpriced....

Shame if it closed, we only went the once as well. Very tasty, but jesus it was eye-crossingly expensive for a street food take-away. I've no problem paying for quality, but enough of us travel these days... Not expecting Thai prices, will throw a quizzical look when it's considerable cheaper in London for a Bao than in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

The unit is for rent on daft so guessing its gone

I remember when Bao Boi were just opening up and they had some promo stuff in the papers.

This article was in the Echo. Nothing wrong with the article, but I always wondered what in the absolute f&*% was on that plate he's holding.

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Thats-the-job-Boi-Asian-inspired-eatery-joins-host-of-new-outlets-0a575dd4-4ce0-4569-9b63-b678b6b3a58e-ds

Still keeps me up at night.

clio_16v wrote: »
    The unit is for rent on daft so guessing its gone

Shame, I liked Bao Boi.
    It was a touch too expensive, I thing.
    Although the €10 deal was alright. (Bao, side, fries and a drink)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Was out in East Village in Douglas on Saturday night for the first time in a long long time.
    5 of us had dinner in the bar and I was very impressed with it. Very relaxed setting and a decent crowd in. We were entertaining a cousin who was over from England and she loved it. I had the Sea Bass which was possibly a tad overcooked but nothing too offensive and had ribs starters which fell off the bone - absolutely delicious. FREE TIP: if you're ordering Tacos starter make sure there's at least 3 people there to share them !! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Had pancakes in the cafe in BTs at the weekend. Those and a cup of tea cost about €11. Disgraceful. Wouldn't feed a sparrow. Not that I'd had high hopes mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I see Alchemy by the Lough was issued a closure order in July, I presume it was only temporary thing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

I see Alchemy by the Lough was issued a closure order in July, I presume it was only temporary thing ?

Yeah just checked their facebook page
    Hi all. We had hoped to work away serving out of the horsebox but the authorities have advised us we need full facilities including staff toilet and hot water in every sink etc. So we have to close as there is a lot of work to do. So it's REVAMP and REBOOT guys - Thanks for keeping us company in the sunshine these past few months. See you all soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I would expect everyone in the business, would know the basics required for a food outlet.

Water John wrote: »
    I would expect everyone in the business, would know the basics required for a food outlet.

ate in the langford row cafe once (same owners?) - never again - place was quite unhygienic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Hey guys haven't been to the city for a while. Just wondering is alchemy and alchemy 2 still the best places to grab a coffee and a sweet treat?
    Cheers

Hey guys haven't been to the city for a while. Just wondering is alchemy and alchemy 2 still the best places to grab a coffee and a sweet treat?
    Cheers
    Probably not based on the previous 5 or 6 posts above!
    Italee is my fav. Their biscuits are the biz.
    I like Vanilla for coffee and ice-cream. 
    Natural Foods Bakery - love their oatmeal biscuit with the coffee icing on it...
    Ali's kitchen. the cakes are fab here.
    The Bookshelf. Lovely spot on south mall, did they open another, or move?
    Upstairs in the english market (right side), a classic for good atmosphere
    Nash 19 - very busy, fast turnover
    Crawford gallery cafe
    Cafe Velo
    Filter

I'm sure I've forgotten loads, but they are all good above imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I'd agree with most of the above, I like Union Grind over near city hall as well, oh and Perry Street, they have lovely cakes and things. Little bit expensive but nice.

The Bookshelf is still on South Mall but another branch is due to open soon in the Elysian, where El Vino was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Tiramisu do lovely coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

Soma a nice spot as well

Cheers

Soma on Tuckey Street is my favourite.
    Bookshelf, Filter and Three Fools Coffee all good spots too.
    Haven't been to Alchemy in a good while. Alchemy 2 is gone and Alchemy at the Lough shut down due to FSAI order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Warren Allen has great coffee.
    Soma a good spot.

Mardyke wrote: »
    Warren Allen has great coffee.
    Soma a good spot.

Good shout this too. Always forget about it until I'm walking down that side of town!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dapperdan

Cork Coffee Roasters is another top Coffee spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Am I alone in thinking the Bookshelf has a lot of hype around it? Not a fan of their coffee tbqh, now that said, I'm glad I can try a new space they're moving to because I've never been able to sit down in their current location, only had coffee to go a few times.

Agree on Union Grind, Velo, Soma & Filter - lovely coffee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I haven't tried the bookshelf in Cork, their Tralee branch turned me off due to the coffee being pretty poor IMHO. The food is nice but I would only get a pot of tea there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

The Bookshelf doesn't appeal to me either. Cramped and a bit chaotic.

I tend to avoid places like Perry St also as they have a illogical hype around them.

Warren Allen is the only decent coffee on Maylor St and open 7 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I agree with you on the Bookshelf! Was there for the first time recently as I’d heard great things about it and found the coffee tasted burnt and bitter, also very expensive for a tiny piece of bake well tart. Wouldn’t be back in a hurry.

Has anybody been to the had a coffee from that new-ish spot on North Main st? Up near the cinema.

ncmc wrote: »
    I agree with you on the Bookshelf! Was there for the first time recently as I’d heard great things about it and found the coffee tasted burnt and bitter, also very expensive for a tiny piece of bake well tart. Wouldn’t be back in a hurry.

i use to live in The Bookshelf but don't like it since they did it up.. it use to be so cosy..

Was in Soma once - twas like a night club - coffee shop style - found it v pretentious

The cakes in Alchemy on Barrack Street are fab though I question their level of hygiene - and chairs v unstable

I like Dukes and The Parlour Cafe

i love the coffee in italee but its more like a restaurant

Bean and Leaf is nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Has anybody been to the had a coffee from that new-ish spot on North Main st? Up near the cinema.

Yes it is called priory coffee, I liked the ones that they make like cappuccino but find the filter coffee very watery. Cork coffee roasters in French street? Is also great.
    Personal favourite is three fools, but just coffee as usually skipping cake

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yes. Good coffee and nice staff.
    Would recommend the black pudding rolls, and sandwiches look great.

Three Fools definitely for good coffee.
    Filter on George's Quay is my favourite, but I find St Peters on North main street has gone down hill since filter left.

Triskel used to be great for coffee, but haven't gone there much since Scrypt took over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Three Fools is my go to for my coffee and chill. The lads are lovely in there and they’ve tasty cakes and sandwiches. Nice to sit out on grand parade on a sunny day.

Three Fools is my go to for my coffee and chill. The lads are lovely in there and they’ve tasty cakes and sandwiches. Nice to sit out on grand parade on a sunny day.

That tall guy is so friendly, he used to work in Electric.

Very chilled staff though, and great coffee.

I once made the mistake of going into nearby Gloria Jean's. Bad coffee, rip off prices, and unfriendly staff. Why do people go there? And busy in their new outlet on castle street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You know 3 fools is good when they are wholesaling their coffee into many other coffee shops around town.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement