Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

whatever76 wrote: »
    Not great to be honest - OK place for a drink at bar but I would not recommend for food - had an awful night there few months back and would not recommend.

Mexican in city is pretty limited to be honest! I know it gets is critics but Cafe Mexicana is grand for what u pay for I think - food won't blow u away but nice atmosphere and service . Always come away happy from there when dining with friends !

Personally, I hate the fake Mexican schtick, food is OK-ish as long as you know what to expect I guess, but I did like the spinach soup last time, seemed beef broth based.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

northgirl wrote: »
    Good Day Deli for pancakes yesterday. Tbh I find it only ok. It's VERY noisy once there's a few people in and the food is grand but pretty overpriced IMO. €12.50 for pancakes (2) the trimmings and a tea. Service is good though.

I really like GDD. I love the setting, the food and the staff are always good but I agree with you regarding the space. It's a glass box and does have poor acoustics.
    As for the price, it is expensive but it's always packed so I guess they got the price point right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I liked it too. It's nothing special, but the whole setup and idea is nice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Went to Jacobs on the Mall last week. Hadn’t been in a while and totally loved it. I had the Toonsbridge halloumi starter, hake for main and the orange semolina cake for dessert. It was absolutely delicious and great value (early bird, €25). I love the actual building and the fact that it’s possible to have a decent conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Went to Jacobs on the Mall last week. Hadn’t been in a while and totally loved it. I had the Toonsbridge halloumi starter, hake for main and the orange semolina cake for dessert. It was absolutely delicious and great value (early bird, €25). I love the actual building and the fact that it’s possible to have a decent conversation.

I really like Jacob's too. Always found the service to be really good and the early bird is great value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

zweton wrote: »
    no prob thanks folks may give mexican a miss, is there anywhere you would recommend where the food does blow you away? Can be anywhere.

Mid range or higher end?

Mid would be Spitjack, market lane, Elbow lane, the fish bar in electric. I like the food in l'attitude 51 too, but possibly because it's accompanied by copious glasses of wine. Docklands too.

Higher end are Greene's, Jacobs on the mall, Jacques, the Hayfield Manor restaurant.

Talking points, adventurous places : cafe paradiso, ivory tower, Ichigo ichi.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

I found SpitJack quite poor really.
    And Electric is a complete dump at this stage?

Orso, Elbow Lane, Market Lane - yes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Mardyke wrote: »

Orso has some lovely middle Eastern food, I love it. Small place, can get busy at peak hours.

I've enjoyed Jacque's any time I've been there but it's hardly high end.
    It's pretty standard tapas done, mostly, well but not without its flaws.
    I'd call it good casual dining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Where is my eyeroll reserved for this thread.

I don't know why people come into this specific thread for a slagging match instead of to, ya know, actually recommend restaurants. One post with a few recommendations and it's a pile up of hecklers the next morning. We all have our own opinions, experiences. I didn't preface mine by degrading anyone else's, or insisting mine was the only opinion in town. I added my tuppence. How does noisy squabbliing help the person asking a question? Try simply making your own recommendations there lads, you're big boys now...

And this one... the fish bar in electric is "a complete dump"? That's just plain rude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Finally got to Cafe Paradiso (never gotten around to booking before) and absolutely loved the food. Had vegetarian sushi, feta and spinach couscous cake and a plate of four lemon things for dessert, left the place smiling from ear to ear. Bit pricey for sure, but worth it for something different every now and then.

Pwurple, have cup of tea, it'll be all right.

nerwen wrote: »
    Finally got to Cafe Paradiso (never gotten around to booking before) and absolutely loved the food. Had vegetarian sushi, feta and spinach couscous cake and a plate of four lemon things for dessert, left the place smiling from ear to ear. Bit pricey for sure, but worth it for something different every now and then.

I really don't know why I've never been, apart from lunch, years ago. The only negative things I've heard are the expected "rip off for no meat" nonsense. I need fix this.

And Electric is a complete dump at this stage? ...........

I've always found it quite pretentious and the food not great relative to the prices. I wouldn't describe it as a dump at all.
    It's a lovely building and bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Any recommendations for healthy breakfast! Granola and the likes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Liberty Grill and Spitjack both do a decent range of porridge, muesli and granola AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Olsky

whatever76 wrote: »
    Not great to be honest - OK place for a drink at bar but I would not recommend for food - had an awful night there few months back and would not recommend.

Mexican in city is pretty limited to be honest! I know it gets is critics but Cafe Mexicana is grand for what u pay for I think - food won't blow u away but nice atmosphere and service . Always come away happy from there when dining with friends !

Agreed. Food in Tequila Jacks is poor
    Don't think Cafe Mexicana even have a kitchen. Everything is reheated in a microwave although atmosphere is ok.

Does anyone know what happened to Wildways. The place was a goldmine but it seemed to go rapidly downhill a few months before it closed. I really miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Olsky

Does anyone know what happened to Wildways. The place was a goldmine but it seemed to go rapidly downhill a few months before it closed. I really miss it.

It did. Great food. Think it changed ownership. Menu stayed the same but quality deteriorated markedly. I gave up going there. Then a few months later it was closed. No idea.

Wasn't it flooded and it never reopened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

Olsky wrote: »
    It did. Great food. Think it changed ownership. Menu stayed the same but quality deteriorated markedly. I gave up going there. Then a few months later it was closed. No idea.

Yes had same experience, quality went to bits
    It was the same grumpy woman there though...full of chat

That’s what it said on the door but I’m not sure it’s true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Maybe it was a flood.......of complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Apt8

Noticed the old N Square unit on Camden Quay has been renovated, any word what's going in there?

Apt8 wrote: »
    Noticed the old N Square unit on Camden Quay has been renovated, any word what's going in there?

Don't know if anyone is lined up or not but that unit was defeloped as a restaurant space and empty for a long time before N Square moved in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

the one time i was there our dining experience was soo bad I can't even talk about it.. never again..

on a different note, ichigo ichie have an offer on 7 course tasting menu €69 tue and wed eve (or something like that)

roll on start main and desert offer ekk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

sporina wrote: »
    on a different note, ichigo ichie have an offer on 7 course tasting menu €69 tue and wed eve (or something like that)

Yep, was posted on Facebook, €65.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

That’s what it said on the door but I’m not sure it’s true.

Just passed it the other day and wondered the same thing! Definitely wasn't flooded and absolutely zero work done on the place since it closed. As Cork Lass said, it seemed like a great business but just shut all of a sudden. Would love to know the real reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Has anyone been to Camille Thai in Bishopstown yet?
    The ones in Dublin come highly recommended so I'd imagine it should be good.

• Advertisement

Dublin franchise guy, got that one in Cork too. I know they were looking for some one in Cork but the money was savage. Same story with Chopped, very high entry but they then went a different route going into existing shops as an add on.
    Camille owned by Brody Sweeney formerly of O'Brien Sandwiches.

.red. wrote: »
    Has anyone been to Camille Thai in Bishopstown yet?
    The ones in Dublin come highly recommended so I'd imagine it should be good.

gee well i hope the portion sizes are bigger than what I had in Dublin..

I can usually never finish a full take out in Eire - but we were still hungry after ours.. it was nice but v v small,, almost wish I had measured the little tubs it came in..

and no free prawn crackers - i would rarely eat them but would have liked them to help fill me up ekk

Eire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Cornstore hopping last night, great buzz.
    Done up recently
    Nice food.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

On The Pigs Back in Douglas Woollen Mills serve a healthy breakfast board, with granola, sheeps milk yogurt, honey, compote and fruit. Really satisfactory, sufficient and good value at €6.95.

Was in Gallaghers last Sunday, first time there, 4 of us.
    Food was tremendous, two got the roast beef main, they were highly impressed. I got whatever they call surf & turf in there and it was ridiculously good.

Starters (3 of us got cod croquettes) and deserts top drawer stuff too.

We had a table booked..... highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Augeo wrote: »
    Was in Gallaghers last Sunday, first time there, 4 of us.
    Food was tremendous, two got the roast beef main, they were highly impressed. I got whatever they call surf & turf in there and it was ridiculously good.

Starters (3 of us got cod croquettes) and deserts top drawer stuff too.

We had a table booked..... highly recommended.

I love Gallaghers, been there a few times and always had great food and excellent service, very popular place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

A collection :pac:

Tequila Jacks
    Was there with a group, service was a bit lacklustre but knowledgeable. I found the cocktails nice, the food portions (especially starters) big but the food itself was bland and boring. The group said it was great, maybe I was unlucky with starter and main.

The Old Bank Café
    Defo already recommended it, and once again not disappointed. Breakfast was fantastic and staff supportive, great addition to Mayfield area.

Murphys Rock
    Went there as they have Irish originals in their carvery on Friday and have guests over from abroad so wanted to test Bodice. Never had that so tried it and positively surprised. Also it was so full on a Friday afternoon, what is always a good sign. Still why would you boil ribs and not BBQ them? ;)

Camile Thai
    Ordered delivery and it is in a league with Soba, Ramen and Kotu. Great food, we had their take on the spice bag and for everyone who loves spices give it defo a try. Portion sizes were decent enough.

Harika wrote: »
    A collection :pac:

Tequila Jacks
    Was there with a group, service was a bit lacklustre but knowledgeable. I found the cocktails nice, the food portions (especially starters) big but the food itself was bland and boring. The group said it was great, maybe I was unlucky with starter and main.

The Old Bank Café
    Defo already recommended it, and once again not disappointed. Breakfast was fantastic and staff supportive, great addition to Mayfield area.

Murphys Rock
    Went there as they have Irish originals in their carvery on Friday and have guests over from abroad so wanted to test Bodice. Never had that so tried it and positively surprised. Also it was so full on a Friday afternoon, what is always a good sign. Still why would you boil ribs and not BBQ them? ;)

Camile Thai
    Ordered delivery and it is in a league with Soba, Ramen and Kotu. Great food, we had their take on the spice bag and for everyone who loves spices give it defo a try. Portion sizes were decent enough.

were portion sizes the same as from a similar asian restaurant in cork? i got one in Dublin a few mths ago and even the tubs were smaller - we were still hungry afterwards

sporina wrote: »
    [/B]

were portion sizes the same as from a similar asian restaurant in cork? i got one in Dublin a few mths ago and even the tubs were smaller - we were still hungry afterwards

I had a soup, my partner the curry and shared a spice bag and we were full. I would need to compare the tubs but my guess is that they are a bit smaller, but as said, my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi - we were dropping off parents for the 6:00 AM flight to AMS out of Cork airport last Sunday. Thought of doing a nice family breakfast (with our 2 kids) before we were due at a friends at 8.
    Maybe we didn't know, but could not find ANY place that would be open and doing breakfast - off course it was more difficult I guess being a Sunday. Anyone know if there are any places in Cork open early - for future reference?
    Also - the upstairs restaurant at the airport was accessible from the visitor side before, but we noticed that now you can only access it after security...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Debub wrote: »
    Hi - we were dropping off parents for the 6:00 AM flight to AMS out of Cork airport last Sunday. Thought of doing a nice family breakfast (with our 2 kids) before we were due at a friends at 8.
    Maybe we didn't know, but could not find ANY place that would be open and doing breakfast - off course it was more difficult I guess being a Sunday. Anyone know if there are any places in Cork open early - for future reference?
    Also - the upstairs restaurant at the airport was accessible from the visitor side before, but we noticed that now you can only access it after security...

Both hotels in the airport are good, the older one that you pass as you drive in/out is probably better and slightly cheaper. Proper cooked breakfast from about 7ish in both hotels.

.red. wrote: »
    Both hotels in the airport are good, the older one that you pass as you drive in/out is probably better and slightly cheaper. Proper cooked breakfast from about 7ish in both hotels.

Nope - they weren't open either, maybe it was Sunday and they start later

I think for this time, the only option is McDonalds breakfast.

Dropped into Tradehouse Central in Ballincollig for a bite yesterday evening. Food was nice, when it arrived. OH had burger and I had battered fish. That requires great cheffing!!!. Took over 40 mins, FFS.

I think for this time, the only option is McDonalds breakfast.

unfortunately we don't consider McDonald's as an eating option :-) that too so early in the morning - not our type of food - no offence to McDonald's

I'm surprised that any hotel wouldn't have breakfast available early in the morning, even Sundays. Maybe it's just for residents?

According to their homepage they should be open at your time

https://www.corkairporthotel.com/breakfast.html

According to their homepage they should be open at your time

https://www.corkairporthotel.com/breakfast.html

They weren't Harika - we went in to enquire :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Places we go for Sunday breakfast include Serendipity and the Viaduct - much later opening times than 7 am though I'd imagine.

They weren't Harika - we went in to enquire :)

Was it before 6.30am?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement