Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

sporina wrote: »
    but strangely enough - speaking of raspberry, i saw raspberry and orange club orange somewhere but can't find it now.. tried lots of shops in town and to no avail - anyone seen it anyway and or tried it? sounds lush

Probably like the rest of the tasteless fizz out there since they took our sugar :(

What I'd give for a red lucozade sugar rush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

rob316 wrote: »
    Probably like the rest of the tasteless fizz out there since they took our sugar :(

What I'd give for a red lucozade sugar rush

red lucozade as in the regular stuff? if so i use it when hiking - quality stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Apart from upstairs in Debs is there anywhere else to get a carvery lunch in the city center?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Get up and go

Apart from upstairs in Debs is there anywhere else to get a carvery lunch in the city center?
    The imperial.

red lucozade as in the regular stuff? if so i use it when hiking - quality stuff

It's absolutely disgusting these days.

It's absolutely disgusting these days.

so what is the "red lucozade sugar rush" you referred to earlier?

so what is the "red lucozade sugar rush" you referred to earlier?

The old recipe before they changed it. It's got less sugar now than diet drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Had sunday lunch in Roberts Cove Inn yesterday, very impressed with the quality and choice of food on offer. Not so much the traditional sunday fare, a steak was the nearest to that. Plenty of fish which the O/H really enjoyed, and the staff were really pleasent. We'll be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭shawki

Anyone know any restaurants doing discounted Black Friday Vouchers?

So far I've found Electric(20%), Oyster Tavern(20%) and Soho(15%).

Market lane again last night, outstanding as usual. The food is just so simple but executed with perfection. Few of there finest home brews to wash it down. Well worth the hour and a half wait.

• Advertisement

Ordered takeaway from Camille Thai last night.
    Gorge. Nicest I’ve had since the golden elephant in Douglas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Square table in Blarney recently. Good meal, great service. Would return.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

Market lane again last night, outstanding as usual. The food is just so simple but executed with perfection. Few of there finest home brews to wash it down. Well worth the hour and a half wait.

Gem of a place, must have dined there nearly 100 times down through the years and can never remember being disappointed.

Gem of a place, must have dined there nearly 100 times down through the years and can never remember being disappointed.

Probably my 5th time this year.

I just had roast chicken with mash, gravy, roasted veggies, red cabbage and stuffing. Sounds bog standard but I wanted to lick the plate. Strawberry sundae for desert yum.

It's a lesson many restaurants could learn, people want good quality simple food and are willing to wait 1.5 hours for a table for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

Had a meal in the Elm Tree again, it was a carvery and I don't think anyone else does it better Imo.
    Well worth a visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Same owners/group as Orso and the Castle Cafe (Blackrock castle). Haven't tried the Castle but eat in the other two regularly and they're always good. Busy, but relaxed vibe, friendly staff, and food very well done, with a great selection of drinks. Winning formula for me!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I found the food in the Castle to be only OK and over priced. Love Orso though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I found the food in the Castle to be only OK and over priced. Love Orso though.

Agree - last few visits to the castle were not great for me - seems to have dipped a bit and I'd be slow to return or recommend now really … .Market and Orso though .. top notch !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

Popped into Amicus today for lunch, We ordered from their €10 menu.
    I had the pulled pork quesadilla and the partner had a chicken curry.
    Both were really nice, mine came with a nice side salad, chips and guacamole.
    The meal along with a tea or coffee is great value imo.

Any opinions on Tequila Jacks?

• Advertisement

Italix wrote: »
    Popped into Amicus today for lunch, We ordered from their €10 menu.
    I had the pulled pork quesadilla and the partner had a chicken curry.
    Both were really nice, mine came with a nice side salad, chips and guacamole.
    The meal along with a tea or coffee is great value imo.

Any opinions on Tequila Jacks?

I've been to Amicus quite a few times and found it very hit and miss .Prices are very reasonable though and the staff are top-class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

I see Orso dont take reservations was looking to try it out this sat. Can i assume there will be a queue? Also any recommendations for a good tapas bar?

zweton wrote: »
    I see Orso dont take reservations was looking to try it out this sat. Can i assume there will be a queue? Also any recommendations for a good tapas bar?

Yes, there is usually a queue. Give them your number while you have a pre-meal wine next door in Arthur Maynes.

I haven't been, but Iberian Way on Douglas St. has got good reviews. Salt also does good tapas, or so I hear. Maybe some others might help you out with a personal recommendation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Yes, there is usually a queue. Give them your number while you have a pre-meal wine next door in Arthur Maynes.

I haven't been, but Iberian Way on Douglas St. has got good reviews. Salt also does good tapas, or so I hear. Maybe some others might help you out with a personal recommendation.

Wonderful thank you, cant wait now:D btw any personal standouts of what to try in Orso?

Wonderful thank you, cant wait now:D btw any personal standouts of what to try in Orso?

I haven't been there in a while, but everything I've tried was delicious! Browse the menu:

https://orso.ie/from-the-kitchen-nighttime#.W_x7IjnLc0M

For any lovers of Indian/Asian food, I loved each visit to Thali on Pope's Quay.

https://thalinepal.com/menu/

Their jimbu curry is very delicious and unique.

If you like dumplings, try their momos.

Recommended!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

If you get in before 6 at the weekend you'll likely get a table (or seats at the bar if you're ok with that) straight away. After that, it's hit 'n' miss (more miss!).

As said above, hop next door and grab a wine in Arthur Maynes, I think they even let you bring the glass in with you if you're called for the table before you're finished. Edit - and on the tapas, there's the Iberian Way, or "Enjoy your Senses" / Alimento tus Sentidos on Washington St. The Parlour on Cornmarket St. is another option.

For any lovers of Indian/Asian food, I loved each visit to Thali on Pope's Quay.

https://thalinepal.com/menu/

Their jimbu curry is very delicious and unique.

If you like dumplings, try their momos.

Recommended!

My wife is obsessed with it. It fairly good alrite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

On another topic - had lunch in Lishh (Dosco Business Park - south douglas rd) today - wow what a find - all locally sources ingredients - top top quality - minimal (if any) processed food.. great space, service - v v generous portions.. what a treat...

Lishh have expanded into Atkins Garden Centre on Carrigrohane Road and are also open on Sundays.

I would like to start a thread indirectly related to this one, but more suited to being separate. How do I do it ? On looking around here, am told I would need permission to do so (there doesn't seem to be an option for me right now to start a thread ). So, in essence, how do I get that permission ?
    Thanks.

I would like to start a thread indirectly related to this one, but more suited to being separate. How do I do it ? On looking around here, am told I would need permission to do so (there doesn't seem to be an option for me right now to start a thread ). So, in essence, how do I get that permission ?
    Thanks.

Eh? Go to the forum, do you see a Post button?

• Advertisement

Eh? Go to the forum, do you see a Post button?

I don't. I see the following options outlined in boxes at top of page :

Latest posts.
    My forums.
    My threads.
    Trending.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Any reports on Da Mirco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

you have to have a certain amout of comments and stuff me thinks before you can start your own thread. Like show you are a true believer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

I'm heading into town next Saturday for The Snowman in city hall and looking for a lunch option for about 2pm. I'd imagine most places will be busy. We'll have 2 kids and one takes an age to eat anything.
    Any recommendations on somewhere family friendly that won't be rushing us out the door?

.red. wrote: »
    I'm heading into town next Saturday for The Snowman in city hall and looking for a lunch option for about 2pm. I'd imagine most places will be busy. We'll have 2 kids and one takes an age to eat anything.
    Any recommendations on somewhere family friendly that won't be rushing us out the door?

Personally Id recommend Milano's - v child friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

.red. wrote: »

Market Lane is most family friendly (IMO) restaurant in Cork and will never rush you out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Market Lane is most family friendly (IMO) restaurant in Cork and will never rush you out the door.

Agreed - had a brilliant lunch there at the weekend too.

Only bit of advice I'd give is that we were 20 minutes waiting for a table for 2 at at 1.45pm, it was rammed busy with Christmas shoppers.

There were groups of 3 and 4 being given an even longer wait time at the same stage so if planning on eating by 2, it might be wise to try call in their a bit earlier I'd say.

Also had dinner in Koto over the weekend - delicious as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Agreed - had a brilliant lunch there at the weekend too.

Only bit of advice I'd give is that we were 20 minutes waiting for a table for 2 at at 1.45pm, it was rammed busy with Christmas shoppers.

There were groups of 3 and 4 being given an even longer wait time at the same stage so if planning on eating by 2, it might be wise to try call in their a bit earlier I'd say.

Also had dinner in Koto over the weekend - delicious as always.

ML will take a number and text you when table is ready so you can just continue shopping and then just return when you get the text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

bleach94 wrote: »
    Any reports on Da Mirco?

I haven't been yet, but after seeing the Michelin guide tweet this picture I definitely have plans to go soon. Looks delish!

Menu seems nice, bit limited though?

http://www.damirco.ie/menus#/dinner_4435

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, da mirco is very good, we were there in the summer. I had Homemade pasta with vodka and salmon, it was gorgeous. Very reasonable too in fairness. Group of six of us, shared those mixed boards and focaccia, had wine, mains, desserts with limoncello, came to 30 a head.

Plenty on the menu. They have specials too.

went to da mirco few weeks back - highly recommend , food simple and basic but very well cooked and tasty … nearest thing to what u get on holidays !

I wish we had a Greek restaurant in Cork

Street food over kill on careys lane. Soba after joining ramen and koto.

Street food over kill on careys lane. Soba after joining ramen and koto.

had a Ramen a while ago - unplanned night out called for some food - had a hankering for a red thai curry - but they didn't have one??? had the massaman instead - was ok i guess but wudn't have it again

Is Koto worth a shot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

had a Ramen a while ago - unplanned night out called for some food - had a hankering for a red thai curry - but they didn't have one??? had the massaman instead - was ok i guess but wudn't have it again

Is Koto worth a shot?

I really like Koto anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

The Soba in Glanmire is amazing anyway! I'll give it a shot in the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I really like Koto anyway.

Was in koto over the bank holiday weekend and thought it was lovely and I wouldn't be a major oriental/street food person but I had pad thai with chicken and prawns and it was very tasty and the portion was huge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I wish we had a Greek restaurant in Cork

What kinda dish’s you looking for? Gyros? Souvlaki?

• Advertisement

The Soba in Glanmire is amazing anyway! I'll give it a shot in the city.

Ya spicy chicken is my favorite in blackpool anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement