Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What kinda dish’s you looking for? Gyros? Souvlaki?

yes exactly, and hummous and pitta etc..

I know ORSO does a little of it but would love the whole greek package.. the way they chargrill meats etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

sporina wrote: »

I know ORSO does a little of it but would love the whole greek package.. the way they chargrill meats etc

Does ORSO do Taziki? Love Greek food myself. Souvlaki covered in lemon juice

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Does ORSO do Taziki? Love Greek food myself. Souvlaki covered in lemon juice

not sure..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I'd say Nosta would have a few Greek bits. I've yet to get in there but looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

What are peoples thoughts on Luigi Malones? For lunch, was looking at the €11 deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

What are peoples thoughts on Luigi Malones? For lunch, was looking at the €11 deal?

personally i find it one of the worst places in cork.

the only good thing is if you have kids there's a lot of space for buggies etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Market Lane would be much better and I'm sure they have a similar lunch deal? Soup and half sandwich and one of their tasty chocolate pots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

I'd say Nosta would have a few Greek bits. I've yet to get in there but looking forward to it.

Nosta is really more Turkish, but their meat plates, which are basically deconstructed kebabs with grilled, whole pieces of meat, are great.

Not a fan of their tzatziki myself as it's basically just yogurt with herbs on top.

yeah i have been - only once - there was such a draught running through the place, I never went back..

don't rem the food - think i was too cold to enjoy it..

it might be worth a revisit though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I wasn't incredibly impressed with Nosta, had some flatbreads with spiced meat. The flavouring wasn't great for me, and quite overpriced for what it was.

• Advertisement

House Cafe in the opera House has done some great flavoured food, way above what other places are offering and well priced IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Defo try Nosta. Get the lamb grill. Chargrilled and ****ing delicious. They have pittas hummus and tatziki too.

Defo try Nosta. Get the lamb grill. Chargrilled and ****ing delicious. They have pittas hummus and tatziki too.

yeah might have to give it another go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

So I have a group of friends over for new years. We have decided to go out for dinner on the 30th.. Majority are veggie and we wanted to go to cafe paridiso but it is closed as its a sunday. Waiting to ring Orso as they are normally closed sundays too.

Anyone any other really good veggie places? I'm not a fish fan,and I find italian more homely than fancy but anything else could be an option!

Might have to be indian at this rate!

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    So I have a group of friends over for new years. We have decided to go out for dinner on the 30th.. Majority are veggie and we wanted to go to cafe paridiso but it is closed as its a sunday. Waiting to ring Orso as they are normally closed sundays too.

Anyone any other really good veggie places? I'm not a fish fan,and I find italian more homely than fancy but anything else could be an option!

Good day deli?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Good day deli?

Not open for dinner. Closes at 5

not sure that there are any good indians in town - how about Market Lane? They usually have a few veggie options.. had a fab halloumi salad last time i was there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yeah market lane do good veggie stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Check out Jacobs on the Mall.
    They have a vegetarian menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Check out Jacobs on the Mall.
    They have a vegetarian menu.

and the worst staff and service I've ever encountered. Ruined my anniversary meal one year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

rob316 wrote: »
    and the worst staff and service I've ever encountered. Ruined my anniversary meal one year.

I have to say I eat there on a regular basis and always find the staff really nice. The food is always consistent and I’ve never had a problem there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yeah, they can be a little funny in there actually with the service. They have a bee in the bonnet about the menus, probably around pricing?

They've a bunch of menu's, vegan, veggie, ordinary. I love the food. But I wanted to order a veggie main course and something else for a starter, and they flat out wouldn't let me. Had to be all from the same menu, from me. I said I'd pay whatever the higher set price was... nope. So, I traded with someone else on the table and we swapped plates when they arrived.

Don't really get it. I mean, the same food is coming out to the table, who cares what person received it. Anyhooo.
    Love the restaurant, and the food. And for the most part, bar that one weird thing, service was good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Stuff like that comes down to poor management, very simply. It's amazing how many decent places are ran so poorly.

Good news for me! Orso is open ! :) for anyone that wants to know they are open Sunday 23rd all day & Sunday 30th from 4-10pm serving dinner menu.

Just nobody go on the 30th around half 7 because I have 7 people to try squeeze in there :pac:

pwurple wrote: »

They've a bunch of menu's, vegan, veggie, ordinary. I love the food. But I wanted to order a veggie main course and something else for a starter, and they flat out wouldn't let me. Had to be all from the same menu, from me. I said I'd pay whatever the higher set price was... nope. So, I traded with someone else on the table and we swapped plates when they arrived.

Don't really get it. I mean, the same food is coming out to the table, who cares what person received it. Anyhooo.
    Love the restaurant, and the food. And for the most part, bar that one weird thing, service was good too.

That is absolutely ridiculous. From working with my sister in a kitchen we can never understand why places wont acccomodate you if you are asking for something they clearly have in stock.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I have to say I eat there on a regular basis and always find the staff really nice. The food is always consistent and I’ve never had a problem there.

I'd give everywhere a 2nd chance but not here no way.

Wait time was nearly 1.5 hours between starter and main. Not one apology, just kept telling me it was on the way, after an hour they realized the waiter never put through our mains. If I had been there with anyone else than my wife I would of flat out refused to pay.

They didn't offer me a discount for the appalling service or even send over a bottle of wine.

I paid 50 euro a head, you expect so much better for that.

Wait time was nearly 1.5 hours between starter and main. Not one apology, just kept telling me it was on the way, after an hour they realized the waiter never put through our mains. If I had been there with anyone else than my wife I would of flat out refused to pay.

They didn't offer me a discount for the appalling service or even send over a bottle of wine.

Did you complain and ask for a discount on the night?

If not, maybe send them a formal complaint by email afterwards?

Failing all that, no harm slating them online.

I did the first two after a horrendous experience at Cornmarket. After getting no reaction from them I went online. All of sudden my phone was ringing with the Muppet of a manager whining to me. They offered a free meal then. I said no thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Good news for me! Orso is open ! :) for anyone that wants to know they are open Sunday 23rd all day & Sunday 30th from 4-10pm serving dinner menu.

Just nobody go on the 30th around half 7 because I have 7 people to try squeeze in there :pac:

Yikes. Good luck with that. Any more than 4 and they normally look at you funny..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Walking down in Monkstown the other day and got caught in a shower, ran into Napoli, a wee Italian cafe there, some of the best coffee I ever had and the panino was great, would recommend it to anyone down that way. Lovely little place with real friendly staff, i think they do dinners but only at the week-end.

• Advertisement

who_me wrote: »
    Yikes. Good luck with that. Any more than 4 and they normally look at you funny..

Well they have a heads up in my message so hopefully they will be ok!

who_me wrote: »

yeah i lovvve ORSO but you would be v v lucky to get a table within an hr for 4 never mind 7.. i only go there as a party of 2 or 3 max.. otherwise getting a table in a decent timeframe could be v problematic - or impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

Any reports on the new pizza place opened on princess st ?
    https://www.oakfirepizza.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

whatever76 wrote: »
    Any reports on the new pizza place opened on princess st ?
    https://www.oakfirepizza.ie/

Yeah I went there last week. Pizza is very good, beeR selection decent also. I found the side options a little lacking, a chicken option would have been good. Service was a little too casual for a sit down but overall I'd go back.

Mardyke wrote: »
    Did you complain and ask for a discount on the night?

If not, maybe send them a formal complaint by email afterwards?

Failing all that, no harm slating them online.

I did the first two after a horrendous experience at Cornmarket. After getting no reaction from them I went online. All of sudden my phone was ringing with the Muppet of a manager whining to me. They offered a free meal then. I said no thanks!!

I did, but as I said it was our anniversary she didn't want me making a scene.

Left a bad trip advisor review, no reply.

I've learned if you do want a response from a business, call them out on twitter, they'll waste no time answering you.

I did, but as I said it was our anniversary she didn't want me making a scene.

Left a bad trip advisor review, no reply.

I've learned if you do want a response from a business, call them out on twitter, they'll waste no time answering you.

i find that if i don't think it appropriate to say something at the time, then best to get the name of the manager and email them.. i have done this on two occasions and it has been appreciated and treated well as a result

its only fair to give them the chance to make amends - even if its after the event

lots can go wrong - management may not be aware of mistakes..

i don't think its fair to go straight to social media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

i find that if i don't think it appropriate to say something at the time, then best to get the name of the manager and email them.. i have done this on two occasions and it has been appreciated and treated well as a result

its only fair to give them the chance to make amends - even if its after the event

lots can go wrong - management may not be aware of mistakes..

i don't think its fair to go straight to social media

I ended up in a restaurant last week that gets slated here a bit, the service was absolutely shocking. I complained when paying the bill and was pretty much told to fcuk off. I emailed them Sunday and got no reply. Some places just don't care. I'm gonna give them a week to reply before I call them out on social media.
    I'll leave a proper review here too.

.red. wrote: »
    I ended up in a restaurant last week that gets slated here a bit, the service was absolutely shocking. I complained when paying the bill and was pretty much told to fcuk off. I emailed them Sunday and got no reply. Some places just don't care. I'm gonna give them a week to reply before I call them out on social media.

oh thats v bad form - did you ask to speak to the manager? or did you get contact details for a manager? Its best to have a contact.

although some places have v bad management - had an atrocious experience in Clancy's a few years ago... long story - for another day... but mgmt didn't give a toss.. they were actually rude about it.. no wonder they are gone belly up...

but on a whole, I think its only fair to give an establishment the benefit of doubt or a chance to make amends.. its a learning curve for them too.. well, if they are professional about it.. i am a believe in constructive criticism and it has worked for me in other industries too..

i don't like to name places where issues have been resolved..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Your patient,Id have walked after 30 mins.

Paid and leaved obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Any clues as to which restaurant this is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Any clues as to which restaurant this is

Im not going to mention them by name due to the managers reaction.
    He made contact and rang me. He was all apologies and offered no excuses. Just a hands in the air apology and offered a refund or a voucher. I accepted his apology and told him to send a voucher and I'll give them another go.

Mistakes happen, I always reckon it's how the mistake is dealt with and I was happy(eventually) with the response. Don't think it would be fair to name and shame them after accepting the apology and voucher.

• Advertisement

Does it rhyme with ornstore or oqbull?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Checked tripadvisor and not seeing anything negative in the last while for them, was convinced it was Rachels for a minute :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

:D:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Any recommendations for a pub that does a decent sandwich and a pint?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Any recommendations for a pub that does a decent sandwich and a pint?

Long valley

Im not going to mention them by name due to the managers reaction.
    He made contact and rang me. He was all apologies and offered no excuses. Just a hands in the air apology and offered a refund or a voucher. I accepted his apology and told him to send a voucher and I'll give them another go.

Mistakes happen, I always reckon it's how the mistake is dealt with and I was happy(eventually) with the response. Don't think it would be fair to name and shame them after accepting the apology and voucher.

I had a fairly bang average meal in spitjack before, left a review on FB as I asked for the manager in the restaurant at the time but there was no one available. Owner messaged me telling me they need to be doing better and will and invited me and a guest in for dinner, I never actually went back (just never got around to it) but it was a nice gesture and response and I felt he appreciated my custom and opinion.

I took down the review but he was actually pleased to be getting honest feedback as he said too many people just go "Ya its grand" and never come back and talk to there people about the place negatively.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

I won't name the restaurant, I wasn't there, but have every faith in person who was and told me this.
    Prominent business person took staff to a well-known city centre restaurant where prices are stiff enough, business person footed the bill.
    Between the meal and drinks, serious money lashed out. Food was top class, but all present were disgusted by the behaviour of the staff, snooty throughout and culminating in the table being roared at by the manager who wanted the table back after two hours. Now, all present knew of the arrangement, but am told the shouting began ten minutes before the two hours were up and they felt like chastened puppies as they were hounded out. I understand that there was no tip left.
    Never again, they said and already one of those present on the night has cancelled a new year's booking there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

He's a lovely fella takashi talked to him a few times when he first opened the takeaway. His wife too very warm and friendly delighted they are having such success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I won't name the restaurant, I wasn't there, but have every faith in person who was and told me this.
    Prominent business person took staff to a well-known city centre restaurant where prices are stiff enough, business person footed the bill.
    Between the meal and drinks, serious money lashed out. Food was top class, but all present were disgusted by the behaviour of the staff, snooty throughout and culminating in the table being roared at by the manager who wanted the table back after two hours. Now, all present knew of the arrangement, but am told the shouting began ten minutes before the two hours were up and they felt like chastened puppies as they were hounded out. I understand that there was no tip left.
    Never again, they said and already one of those present on the night has cancelled a new year's booking there.
    It's nothing personal here just an observation, but if I'm coming here to read recommendations or general experiences of restaurants, then I think they should be named. I don't know what I'm to derive from this post other than there's a restaurant in town who treat groups badly, in which case I'd like to avoid them.

Similarly with a previous poster who ended up having a good response from management - I wouldn't mind knowing who is in charge of that restaurant and the restaurant in question.

Each to their own I guess, it's your choice but I think adding anonymity doesn't help any people who read this thread regularly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement