Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Same as Son of a Bun. Pile of arse. We were starved looking for a place to eat the other night and skipped Son of a Bun just because of the no menu thing. Just went across the street to Novecento.

They probably don't care anyway, it's always full.

Really??? Thats a bit dramatic isnt it, its a burger place what do you expect to see on the menu?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

my thoughts exactly,im guessing the wait probably was the reason? Big Son of a Bun fan so slightly biased :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

CHealy wrote: »
    Really??? Thats a bit dramatic isnt it, its a burger place what do you expect to see on the menu?

Prices.

Prices.

Like almost every other burger place, burger will be in and around a tenner, side will be extra about a fiver, and whatever your drinks are then. A bit of common sense goes a long way.

Like almost every other burger place, burger will be in and around a tenner, side will be extra about a fiver, and whatever your drinks are then. A bit of common sense goes a long way.

A menu in the window goes a long way, imo, and costs virtually nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I dunno guys I'm kind of gone off Son of a Bun. There's too many toppings for me and you can hardly taste the meat. I think Bunsen and West Cork Burger are tops for me at the moment.

Ah I know there should be a menu in the window, but its hardly a deal breaker either, a bit of common sense or a quick pop in the door and you'd get all the info you need.
    I dunno guys I'm kind of gone off Son of a Bun. There's too many toppings for me and you can hardly taste the meat. I think Bunsen and West Cork Burger are tops for me at the moment.

I think Bunsen is the best by far.

I think Bunsen is the best by far.

That's something we can agree on;)

(yet to try West Cork - it all depends on whether (imo) they overcook their burgers or not)

still haven't been to Bunsen or West Cork burger! heard great things about bunsen

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

What's the nicest restaurant in cork city . I heard that French one one cook street and the ivory tower are up three

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

Any good cheap fry ups in the city? Does a €5 fry up exist anywhere? I wouldn't be into huge belly busters of a fry up, just one of each item and a bit of toast.

Witherspoon's used to have a €4.95 fry up but tis gone from the menu.

You get a decent fry in your kitchen for 5 euro if you went to Aldi before hand

Cotts72 wrote: »
    still haven't been to Bunsen or West Cork burger! heard great things about bunsen

If you like fancy toppings and sides, Bunsen is not for you.
    It's very simple and nicely done lettuce, tomato, onion, gherkin, ketchup, mayo and mustard (optional cheese). I'd like some sort of chilli sauce or jalapenos offering but I can live without it.

It's the flavour of the meat that does it for me and the fact that the burger isn't all dried up when cooked (like most other places, in my experience).

letsgo2018 wrote: »
    You get a decent fry in your kitchen for 5 euro if you went to Aldi before hand

Probably not for one, you wouldn't.
    Buy a pack of sausages, a pack of rashers, black and white pudding, 6 eggs, a loaf of bread, tomatoes and what ever else you want.

Yes, you'd have plenty of leftover ingredient but I suspect you'd spent more than €5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

I haven't been to Son of a Bun but went to Bunsen once.

Can't say I was a huge fan, burger was average as were the fries although I must admit the milkshake was amazing (I went back a few weeks later and had just a milkshake lol). I guess I just prefer a place with more choice?

On a side note - I tried the 'Wow burger' place once and found it average also but I see it's now closed.... doesn't appear to have lasted all that long ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Went for lunch with a few people in Dywers (fka Rachels) today, nice decor & friendly staff. Food nothing to write home about though, smallest portion of chips I've ever seen came with the burger. To be fair it was fine but none of the four of us left & said we must come back here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

if wanting to know prices was your only issue, why didn't you just pop in and grab a menu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

opus wrote: »
    Went for lunch with a few people in Dywers (fka Rachels) today, nice decor & friendly staff. Food nothing to write home about though, smallest portion of chips I've ever seen came with the burger. To be fair it was fine but none of the four of us left & said we must come back here.

Ah, it opened then after all. I saw the court case before the bank holiday weekend, and heard no more.

letsgo2018 wrote: »
    What's the nicest restaurant in cork city . I heard that French one one cook street and the ivory tower are up three

Well, that’s all subjective. Ichigo itchie has a michelen star and is pretty bloody amazing. Authentic Japanese food.

Les gourmandaise is a really good French cuisine spot, great Birthday treat.

I love ivory tower, really imaginative food, fusion of Japanese and Irish. Foodie adventure.

Cafe paradiso is gorgeous, vegetarian with finesse.

Greene’s on macurtain street is beautiful.

Spoilt for choice really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

Was in elbow lane at the weekend, service was quick and friendly, menu wasn't overly expansive but enough to keep most palates happy.
    Overall, very happy with the food and beer, decent gluten-free options, and a very pleasant experience overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Had food in The Bodega was really good and the selection of cocktails and other drinks is really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

had some food yesterday in the Woodford, nice food, fish n' chips and a philly sandwich were grand, and reasonably priced, Irish coffee's were as good as I've had, and the staff were sound. Only problem was the smell of sewage near the fireplace, I said it to one of the staff who said it was a regular occurrence but as the building is "listed" nothing could be done about it except light incense sticks...we were moved, but surely this is ridiculous and a serious health hazard "listed" me boll***s, they should hold back their rates until something is done about it, the girl server seemed embarrassed about the smell, but why should she have to explain and apologise for it!!! Its a nice pub with decent food and this must be a terrible situation to have to deal with. I wouldn't be a moaner about food/booze normally, but I have friends coming from Norway in the summer and the Woodford would be the kinda place I would bring them, but no fault to the pub, not now ! Anyone else here have this experience, or knowledge of it? This really pee's me off....if a place is doing its best and local bureaucracy puts barriers in front of them! Or am I reading it all wrong!

Very hard to say about the "listed" thing, whether that is a lack of engineering investigation on the building owners part, or whether it is genuinely part of the listing. Usually there is SOME way around it, the problem can be that the way around it is prohibitively expensive. It's a huge shame, because that inflexibility it leads to dilapidation rather than conservation.

I've seen places basically unable to open because safety regulations demand a fire-door, and protection on a facade means a fire door can't be installed. So, they rot instead.

Ditto for that Living Above The Shop scheme that was brought in to increase urban accommodation. There were incentives to convert the upstairs above street level businesses into apartments, but the regulations to comply included one where the entrance to the apt had to be to the front of the building. The buildings were listed in a lot of cases, so no entrance to the front could be added without breaching that.

The right way to do heritage protection, would be with a range of grants and assistance (a dedicated panel of expert consultants, and funding help) to maintain the buildings. But, that would mean diverting funds from something else. Who's going to be the dope who reduces health spending or social welfare so that the EVIL landlords or developers can get a break. Political suicide. Amirite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

We were in town for something the other day and spotted the Luigi's lunch deal. 2 courses with a soft drink for €11 and gave it a go.
    It's a seriously good deal with plenty of options on the menu.
    We had wings(extra€1) and a ceasar salad for starters, mains were pizza and meatballs with linguine. The sauce on the meatballs was really really good. Easily as good as I've had anywhere.
    The bill came to €23 cos of the wings and I doubt there's a better lunch deal out there unless it's a soup and sandwich.
    I'm not in town too often but if it's on the next time I'm in I'll probably go for it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

.red. wrote: »
    We were in town for something the other day and spotted the Luigi's lunch deal. 2 courses with a soft drink for €11 and gave it a go.
    It's a seriously good deal with plenty of options on the menu.
    We had wings(extra€1) and a ceasar salad for starters, mains were pizza and meatballs with linguine. The sauce on the meatballs was really really good. Easily as good as I've had anywhere.
    The bill came to €23 cos of the wings and I doubt there's a better lunch deal out there unless it's a soup and sandwich.
    I'm not in town too often but if it's on the next time I'm in I'll probably go for it again.

We always go for that deal as well if we're in the city on a weekday and not only is it fantastic value for money but they've actually consistently improved over the last 2 years.

We were regulars there around 10 years ago but it went downhill drastically roughly 7 years ago and we didn't return again until two years ago and we noticed the improvements in all aspects immediately, from menu selection, staff, price and most importantly quality.

There's a faction on here that look down there nose on Luigi's & call it fast food but that's just the elitist coming out of them so they can rave about their experience in itchy coochy coo & orso or wherever else is hip & niche at the moment but if you're in the city between 1 & 4 on a weekday you won't find a better lunch menu than Luigi's.

I was there last Thursday and got the garlic mushrooms to start followed by a BBQ pork skewer with chips and salad washed down with a glass of beer for €13.50 and it was fab.

• Advertisement

There's a faction on here

Are you sure it's not a brigade?

Didn't you enjoy ichigo iche when you went?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We always go for that deal as well if we're in the city on a weekday and not only is it fantastic value for money but they've actually consistently improved over the last 2 years.

We were regulars there around 10 years ago but it went downhill drastically roughly 7 years ago and we didn't return again until two years ago and we noticed the improvements in all aspects immediately, from menu selection, staff, price and most importantly quality.

There's a faction on here that look down there nose on Luigi's & call it fast food but that's just the elitist coming out of them so they can rave about their experience in itchy coochy coo & orso or wherever else is hip & niche at the moment but if you're in the city between 1 & 4 on a weekday you won't find a better lunch menu than Luigi's.

I was there last Thursday and got the garlic mushrooms to start followed by a BBQ pork skewer with chips and salad washed down with a glass of beer for €13.50 and it was fab.

That's bollox mate, its been hammered because the food has been consistently one of the worst in the city. If its improved brilliant, I'll be glad to give it ago and say if it is.

The 3 or 4 times I ate there have been the worst meals I've ever had.

rob316 wrote: »
    That's bollox mate, its been hammered because the food has been consistently one of the worst in the city. If its improved brilliant, I'll be glad to give it ago and say if it is.

The 3 or 4 times I ate there have been the worst meals I've ever had.

Ditto. And the previous poster mentioned it as well. The food quality plummeted a few years ago. I'd gladly go back if it was decent again. My memory of it is from 7 years aog. Massive tasteless portions with poor quality ingredients (plasticy cheese. A mountain of gloop. I also remember getting a pizza so burnt it was like charcoal. I very rarely send something back, and generally give places room for human error, but cripes it was B A D.

I think most peoples issues are the fact that the food is apparently precooked during the day and then reheated and served later. Also numerous alleged cases of food poisoning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

pwurple wrote: »
    Ditto. And the previous poster mentioned it as well. The food quality plummeted a few years ago. I'd gladly go back if it was decent again. My memory of it is from 7 years aog. Massive tasteless portions with poor quality ingredients (plasticy cheese. A mountain of gloop. I also remember getting a pizza so burnt it was like charcoal. I very rarely send something back, and generally give places room for human error, but cripes it was B A D.

My experience of the place has been similar. Went back last year as it'd been years since I was there last, and was disappointed with the food again. Gloopy, stodgy stuff. I'll give it another few years before I go back I think.

• Advertisement

nlrkjos wrote: »
    had some food yesterday in the Woodford, nice food, fish n' chips and a philly sandwich were grand, and reasonably priced, Irish coffee's were as good as I've had, and the staff were sound. Only problem was the smell of sewage near the fireplace, I said it to one of the staff who said it was a regular occurrence but as the building is "listed" nothing could be done about it except light incense sticks...we were moved, but surely this is ridiculous and a serious health hazard "listed" me boll***s, they should hold back their rates until something is done about it, the girl server seemed embarrassed about the smell, but why should she have to explain and apologise for it!!! Its a nice pub with decent food and this must be a terrible situation to have to deal with. I wouldn't be a moaner about food/booze normally, but I have friends coming from Norway in the summer and the Woodford would be the kinda place I would bring them, but no fault to the pub, not now ! Anyone else here have this experience, or knowledge of it? This really pee's me off....if a place is doing its best and local bureaucracy puts barriers in front of them! Or am I reading it all wrong!

to be honest i'd be asking the manager what the Food Safety Authority/Health and Safety have to say about that - its a place that serves food after all... after reading this post, i won't be eating there again

• Registered Users Posts: 14 FlacidBiscuit

Not a suggestion but does anybody know where I can get a good authentic Cannoli in Cork/Kerry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Not a suggestion but does anybody know where I can get a good authentic Cannoli in Cork/Kerry?

Italee on Oliver Plunkett St do amazing ones and great coffee to go with them.

keen to try the restaurant in the new Maldron Hotel on the South Mall - menu looks fab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

sporina wrote: »
    keen to try the restaurant in the new Maldron Hotel on the South Mall - menu looks fab

Just looked at it because of your post. It does look good! Some slightly different options there. Always a good thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Had lunch in the Maldron today. Very tasty and some of the friendliest staff I've encountered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

JohnK wrote: »
    Had lunch in the Maldron today. Very tasty and some of the friendliest staff I've encountered.

Do they have their drinks licence sorted yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Do they have their drinks licence sorted yet

Don't know that I'm afraid, only had a coffee with my lunch.

And had lunch in Bocelli's today on Maylor St.; very tasty there also. Have to say we're getting a lot of good places recently :D

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

Strasbourg Goose has a €22.95 offer of two courses, main and either starter or dessert. Was there a few days ago, good food , good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Went to the Rendezvous for dinner with a friend last night. Very expensive mediocre grub. I had a chicken curry. The chicken was hardly sliced to cook it. Some pieces were 3/4 inches big. It lacked in presentation. The friend got a burger. The bun was nearly falling off the plate on presentation. No sauce in the burger and the chips were over cooked frozen ones. It was mediocre. I'll stick to a pint there and skip the food next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Strasbourg Goose has a €22.95 offer of two courses, main and either starter or dessert. Was there a few days ago, good food , good value.

It'll be a long time before I go back there...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Bookshelf cafe do a very nice brunch. Was very pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Went to the Rendezvous for dinner with a friend last night. Very expensive mediocre grub. I had a chicken curry. The chicken was hardly sliced to cook it. Some pieces were 3/4 inches big. It lacked in presentation. The friend got a burger. The bun was nearly falling off the plate on presentation. No sauce in the burger and the chips were over cooked frozen ones. It was mediocre. I'll stick to a pint there and skip the food next time.

Thanks for this.

Maybe it's presumptuous of me, but when I saw what they did with the terrace (A nice open area which they turned into a smoking room) i assumed a bunch of idiots had taken over and hence the food would be ****e.

Good to know. I'll avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Had burger of the month in Son of a Bun tonight. Absolutely savage, definitely one of their better combinations. Well worth trying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

Had burger of the month in Son of a Bun tonight. Absolutely savage, definitely one of their better combinations. Well worth trying out.

drove passed there about 8.15pm this evening the place was heaving ... its doing something right that for sure … have yet to try it !

whatever76 wrote: »
    drove passed there about 8.15pm this evening the place was heaving ... its doing something right that for sure … have yet to try it !

The place is always heaving - even midweek.
    I don't see the huge attraction, myself. Been once and thought it was fine but fair play, they struck a chord with people and not just as a passing thing.

I don't see the huge attraction, myself. Been once and thought it was fine but fair play, they struck a chord with people and not just as a passing thing.

The attraction is deafening noise, with a decent burger. So you can bring along your most obnoxious charmless acquaintances, eat, and completely avoid talking to your companions.

Fills a niche nicely for a lot of the population I’d say. It’s absolutely perfect for anyone missing a personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

pwurple wrote: »
    The attraction is deafening noise, with a decent burger. So you can bring along your most obnoxious charmless acquaintances, eat, and completely avoid talking to your companions.

Fills a niche nicely for a lot of the population I’d say. It’s absolutely perfect for anyone missing a personality.

Wow.

Had coffee in Cocoa in the winthrop arcade yday - coffee is fantastic - Mahers.. with a truffle on the side - delish.. the place is v v small but its quaint - a vintage vibe about it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

not having sh*t on the meat seems to be working well for them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement