Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

not having sh*t on the meat seems to be working well for them.

I thought how they handled that situation was really smart. They were open and honest and people returned. Like I said, I'm not a fan myself, but I admire their success (I know, not a very Cork thing to do).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

The place is always heaving - even midweek.
    I don't see the huge attraction, myself. Been once and thought it was fine but fair play, they struck a chord with people and not just as a passing thing.

Yeah, though there seem to be multiple foods 'trending' at the moment (gourmet burger / asian street food / doughnut shop etc..) so who knows what ones will last..

Personally I thought it was pretty good, but still essentially fast food. Except there's nearly always a wait, so it's rarely fast. And I've always felt rushed there when eating, so it's waiting for a table, then rushed when you have one. Not really for me, I guess.

I'd much prefer 12 Tables for a better burger, or Gourmet Burger for a quicker burger when in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭shortcircuitie

Ate in Iberian Way last night, was excellent as always. Without doubt the most authentic and delicious tapas in Cork, perhaps in Ireland. Far better than the over-hyped and expensive Las Tapas de Lola in Dublin. The only minor quibble is that the place is a bit chilly in a cold winter's evening, so wrap up.

Ate in Osteria di Mirco before Christmas and it was very nice too, not your typical red sauce joint "Italian"

Just in today's Examiner .

Two Cork restaurants in the running for the (inaugural) World Restaurant of the Year:
    Cafe Paradiso (Collaboration of the Year category)
    Ballymaloe House (Trolley of the Year category)

Given the number of categories, it's a bit less auspicious, but we'll take it! :) If either wins, it should definitely be promoted - alongside the recently awarded Michelin stars for two West Cork restaurants. Cork is well on the way to being the "foodie region" of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

Any news on what new restaurant is going into the downstairs of Mahon Point? Read on twitter that there is rumors of Five Guys, That would do so well if true. Would be heaving the first couple of months anyway. The location needs a name like that I feel.

Was in Sober Lane the other night and the burger was unreal. Their sauces are class.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Ate in Iberian Way last night, was excellent as always. Without doubt the most authentic and delicious tapas in Cork, perhaps in Ireland. Far better than the over-hyped and expensive Las Tapas de Lola in Dublin. The only minor quibble is that the place is a bit chilly in a cold winter's evening, so wrap up.

Ate in Osteria di Mirco before Christmas and it was very nice too, not your typical red sauce joint "Italian"

Always seems busy in iberian way, do you need to book in advance? Would love to try it,i miss their deli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭shortcircuitie

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Always seems busy in iberian way, do you need to book in advance? Would love to try it,i miss their deli.

Midweek in this time of the year, you could probably walk in. At the weekend booking is essential.

It's so handy, I get my olive oil there whenever I'm in, you can get a 2L bottle of really good olive oil for about €13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Son of a Bun is nice but it's fairly pricey for what you get (you only get a burger, no chips or salad etc), you have to order them as a side and the burgers are small enough. Anytime I've been there, I'd have the burger gone in about a minute and I'd still be hungry for more. Gourmet burger and West Cork burger do far nicer burgers and most restaurants will do a bigger burger, bigger portion of chips with more extras for the same price (15ish euro). Elmtree do a massive burger with chips for €15 euros that is miles ahead of Son of a Bun in overall taste and value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

siblers wrote: »
    Son of a Bun is nice but it's fairly pricey for what you get (you only get a burger, no chips or salad etc), you have to order them as a side and the burgers are small enough. Anytime I've been there, I'd have the burger gone in about a minute and I'd still be hungry for more. Gourmet burger and West Cork burger do far nicer burgers and most restaurants will do a bigger burger, bigger portion of chips with more extras for the same price (15ish euro). Elmtree do a massive burger with chips for €15 euros that is miles ahead of Son of a Bun in overall taste and value for money

Gourmet Burger is my favourite in that type of restaurant, consistently good. I see they have a €10 offer for any burger and fries from Mon to Thursday in January. Hard to beat that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Wetherspoons today, can't say that it was good but I can say that it was not much. I am not convinced that the fish was really a fish and less than 10 chips with it. And that you now have to use an app on your phone to order and pay online wont make me go back either

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Harika wrote: »
    Wetherspoons today, can't say that it was good but I can say that it was not much. I am not convinced that the fish was really a fish and less than 10 chips with it. And that you now have to use an app on your phone to order and pay online wont make me go back either

I love those apps. I used one of them for the first time recently in Frankie and Bennys in the UK. Those kinds of places are usually pretty busy and it can be hard to get someone's attention to get the bill and when you do it could be a while before you actually get it and pay it. It was a nice time saver I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

pwurple wrote: »
    The attraction is deafening noise, with a decent burger. So you can bring along your most obnoxious charmless acquaintances, eat, and completely avoid talking to your companions.

Fills a niche nicely for a lot of the population I’d say. It’s absolutely perfect for anyone missing a personality.
    These are the type of people that make this thread hard to take advice from when you see their utter arrogance and complete disconnect from the normal Joe soap who's looking for a nice meal everyone once in awhile and not a "gourmet expedition, with palate stimulators and orgasms of flavour" .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

These are the type of people that make this thread hard to take advice from when you see their utter arrogance and complete disconnect from the normal Joe soap who's looking for a nice meal everyone once in awhile and not a "gourmet expedition, with palate stimulators and orgasms of flavour" .

Oh give over. I like to talk to, and hear my buddies when we're out, instead of being deafened by **** music, and booted out the door in record time, having horsed down some overpriced slop surrounded by Beards instagramming themselves? But I'm the pretentious one?

My preferred places are anything from a takeaway, to the Thady Inn, with a dog at my feet, to special occasion places, and everything in between. I'm willing to give most stuff a go as long as it's honest. Fakery, like that place, is my one and only dislike.

If you prefer that hipster falseness, it's there for ya. Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Do they have their drinks licence sorted yet

Sorted since Friday, last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Oh give over. I like to talk to, and hear my buddies when we're out, instead of being deafened by **** music, and booted out the door in record time, having horsed down some overpriced slop surrounded by Beards instagramming themselves? But I'm the pretentious one

Ha ha, brilliant Pwurple.

Oh give over. I like to talk to, and hear my buddies when we're out, instead of being deafened by **** music, and booted out the door in record time, having horsed down some overpriced slop surrounded by Beards instagramming themselves? But I'm the pretentious one?

My preferred places are anything from a takeaway, to the Thady Inn, with a dog at my feet, to special occasion places, and everything in between. I'm willing to give most stuff a go as long as it's honest. Fakery, like that place, is my one and only dislike.

If you prefer that hipster falseness, it's there for ya. Enjoy.

I think the issue people have with your post is not the fact that you don't like sob but rather the fact that you actively judge and criticise anyone who does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭Drdenise75

Elbow Lane Saturday night. Haven't been there in ages because the wait time is a bit off putting but we decided to go in a bit earlier this time and stick it out. Put our names down for table for 2 at 7pm and 2 and a half hours later got a table!!! In all fairness we were warned they were busy and likely to be waiting that long but we were determined to eat there! And I have to say it was totally worth the wait. The food was excellent as always and it seems to me that the presentation level has been taken up a notch since I was last there. We had the smoked beetroot dish to start. It's amazing. I wouldn't be a big fan of beetroot but this was really something. I asked how it was prepared and the 4 stage process was explained in detail - some of which I now forget but was quite intricate sounding at the time! Also had the ox tongue - delicious and so tender, the beef brisket rolls and the monkfish. All dishes were well presented and very tasty. Side of baby potatoes good too. The desert was nice enough- a kind of giant ice cream sandwich. Their beer is excellent and they make a mean espresso martini! Highly recommended if you're prepared to wait to get a table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Drdenise75 wrote: »
    Highly recommended if you're prepared to wait to get a table.

You can generally get one mid week handy enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Sago are doing real Chinese food but you need to ask for the menu and it's only in Chinese characters. I tried the spicy beef noodle soup and it's the best Chinese dish ive had in Ireland by an absolute mile. It's not overly exotic at all so I have no idea why they are making the menu so inaccessible for locals...

snotboogie wrote: »
    Sago are doing real Chinese food but you need to ask for the menu and it's only in Chinese characters. I tried the spicy beef noodle soup and it's the best Chinese dish ive had in Ireland by an absolute mile. It's not overly exotic at all so I have no idea why they are making the menu so inaccessible for locals...

This drives mad!
    It was the same in Yuan Ming Yuan. If the waiter didn't know you and you are European, you only got the basic menu.!
    Why not give these menus to everyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Took the kids to barcadia yesterday evening.... (it's a bar so we had to be gone by eight... But it was a school night so we were gone by then anyway)
    Anywho, it's a classic video arcade / fast food joint.. Burgers chicken pizza... But done pretty well...(decent slow proved base for pizza, and the burgers looked good) Very quirky. you buy a bag of tokens for a fiver, so each game is 50 cent...( Mario cart, space invaders, donkey Kong, Sega racing, r-type Ect ect)
    My 2 loved it... So we'll be going back...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Took the kids to barcadia yesterday evening.... (it's a bar so we had to be gone by eight... But it was a school night so we were gone by then anyway)
    Anywho, it's a classic video arcade / fast food joint.. Burgers chicken pizza... But done pretty well...(decent slow proved base for pizza, and the burgers looked good) Very quirky. you buy a bag of tokens for a fiver, so each game is 50 cent...( Mario cart, space invaders, donkey Kong, Sega racing, r-type Ect ect)
    My 2 loved it... So we'll be going back...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think the issue people have with your post is not the fact that you don't like sob but rather the fact that you actively judge and criticise anyone who does.

Meh. So? *shrug*

I don't give a hoot if flangemeister or whatever has their tongue wetly wrapped around Son of a Bun's scrotum. Each to their own.

Yeah, I judge away all the live long day. (much as flangemeister also did btw). I wouldn't be able to cross the road without making a decision based on a judgement. Useful skill, knowing what you like and what you want.

:D

Now, some noodle thing in Sago is the recommendation here today? Adding it to the list. thanks.

Drdenise75 wrote: »
    Elbow Lane Saturday night. Haven't been there in ages because the wait time is a bit off putting but we decided to go in a bit earlier this time and stick it out. Put our names down for table for 2 at 7pm and 2 and a half hours later got a table!!! In all fairness we were warned they were busy and likely to be waiting that long but we were determined to eat there! And I have to say it was totally worth the wait. The food was excellent as always and it seems to me that the presentation level has been taken up a notch since I was last there. We had the smoked beetroot dish to start. It's amazing. I wouldn't be a big fan of beetroot but this was really something. I asked how it was prepared and the 4 stage process was explained in detail - some of which I now forget but was quite intricate sounding at the time! Also had the ox tongue - delicious and so tender, the beef brisket rolls and the monkfish. All dishes were well presented and very tasty. Side of baby potatoes good too. The desert was nice enough- a kind of giant ice cream sandwich. Their beer is excellent and they make a mean espresso martini! Highly recommended if you're prepared to wait to get a table.

Re waiting lists - Orso is the same. Get in there for/before 6, and you can almost always walk in and sit down. 6:30 or 7 and you could have a 2 hour waiting list.

They no longer have their mini Pigs in Blankets (BOOOOOOOOO!) but all their dishes are really good, great attention to detail, even if the selection is pretty limited. Great choice of drinks too, I go there mostly for their "The Sweet, The Smoked and The Sour". Yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

What's the craic with Burnt? Tried twice now to go there only to find it shut. Opening hours had it as open from 4 yesterday but no sign of life.

Same for Sober Lane yesterday, advertised as part of the Cork Burger Fest and doors locked with bins outside it yesterday at 6pm. Nothing I could see on social media about it being closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

What's the craic with Burnt? Tried twice now to go there only to find it shut. Opening hours had it as open from 4 yesterday but no sign of life.

Same for Sober Lane yesterday, advertised as part of the Cork Burger Fest and doors locked with bins outside it yesterday at 6pm. Nothing I could see on social media about it being closed.

Sober Lane were doing a chef collaboration thing last night so maybe that was the reason they were closed. Burnt don't seem to open on Mondays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

Ya what is the craic with burnt? do they not put menus online or outside their premises?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Dbu wrote: »
    Ya what is the craic with burnt? do they not put menus online or outside their premises?

Their social media presence is very annoying and OTT but that's how businesses have to do it these days. Oak fire Pizza across the street from them is lovely.

Any suggestions of somewhere to try for burger fest that isn't Son Of a Bun, Gourmet Burger or West Cork Burger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Was around town with the missus looking for somewhere to eat and wandered over to Quinlans Seafood restaurant to check the menu. They did have a menu outside, but no prices. Ridiculous. Why would a restaurant do that? I just walked away. I was up for a bit of seafood too but just didn't bother on principle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Was around town with the missus looking for somewhere to eat and wandered over to Quinlans Seafood restaurant to check the menu. They did have a menu outside, but no prices. Ridiculous. Why would a restaurant do that? I just walked away. I was up for a bit of seafood too but just didn't bother on principle.

Seems a bit bizarre alright!

Found a menu here: https://www.kerryfish.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/cork-menu.jpg

Any suggestions of somewhere to try for burger fest that isn't Son Of a Bun, Gourmet Burger or West Cork Burger?

Holy smoke

To be honest, you didn't miss much,in my opinion. My only time there I found it fairly meh and not great value for the quality.

Harika wrote: »
    Holy smoke

Jeez... it was just a question... ;)

But being serious.... since the person asking didn't specify the city centre - I'd recommend 12 Tables in Douglas. My favourite burger in the city - the Micko burger (no cheese though). Don't know what the secret sauce is, but it's like my crack-cocaine. Cant get enough of it.

who_me wrote: »
    Jeez... it was just a question... ;)

But being serious.... since the person asking didn't specify the city centre - I'd recommend 12 Tables in Douglas. My favourite burger in the city - the Micko burger (no cheese though). Don't know what the secret sauce is, but it's like my crack-cocaine. Cant get enough of it.

Burger Shack comes in my mind too. Or for a challenge the oliver plunckett :D

• Advertisement

Wasn't impressed with Holy Smoke, might try Oliver Plunkett though. 12 tables burger is nice but didn't really fill me, who does the Micko burger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Burger Shack is savage. They only do burgers but they do a damn good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Not Cork City but two course evening meals in Kinsale during 'Restaurant Week' for €20 (18th to 24th Feb 2019). Might be worth a trip!

see https://www.kinsale.ie/event/2019-kinsale-restaurant-week

What are the opinions like for food at The River Lee hotel? How is it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Beef kofte flatbread in Orso earlier.

The kofte were delicious and juicy, but I did not like the flatbread. Hard and dense, more like a bad pizza base rather than a wrap style. And burnt too. I love Orso and hate to give a negative review.

Anyone else find this? Is that what it's supposed to be like??

• Advertisement

Seems a bit bizarre alright!

Found a menu here: https://www.kerryfish.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/cork-menu.jpg

They're still hiding the menu even if it's available online. Could even be different prices when I walk in. I'll just stay clear of them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

I'm mildly confused as to why people wont just walk in and ask to see a menu if they want to see the choices/prices before committing to the place. :confused:

Couple friends of mine went to the Raven and thought the food there was really good, so that might be a slightly more unusual option for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

nerwen wrote: »
    I'm mildly confused as to why people wont just walk in and ask to see a menu if they want to see the choices/prices before committing to the place. :confused:

Couple friends of mine went to the Raven and thought the food there was really good, so that might be a slightly more unusual option for you.

Because, when you walk in the door, you are committed to the place. It is more difficult to walk out.
    People are looking at you as you stand there and mull over the menu. Bollocks to that.
    Put the menu and price list outside the door. If you don’t, you will not get my custom and from what i read here, others also.

cadaliac wrote: »
    Because, when you walk in the door, you are committed to the place. It is more difficult to walk out.
    People are looking at you as you stand there and mull over the menu. Bollocks to that.
    Put the menu and price list outside the door. If you don’t, you will not get my custom and from what i read here, others also.

This.
    I just don't want to engage with a staff member just to see the menu,so I don't, I move on.

Sometimes, I'm not even looking to eat, I'm just curious about what they serve for future reference.

Yes, I know I can go in and ask. Yes, I can probably find the menu online but I really can't be arsed doing either when I just want to read the menu from outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

if the menu is not on display i have no problem with going in, asking for it and having a look - whether i plan to eat at that time or not.. whats the problem with doing so? they are only restaurant staff - its not a crime and if they give you attitude then so be it - have some confidence - get the info you need..

there are much more important things to worry about..

i am not being smart but it seems be me that some folk here feel insecure by asking to look at a menu if it is not displayed.. there is nothing to be scared of in doing so

sporina wrote: »
    if the menu is not on display i have no problem with going in, asking for it and having a look - whether i plan to eat at that time or not.. whats the problem with doing so? they are only restaurant staff - its not a crime and if they give you attitude then so be it - have some confidence - get the info you need..

i am not being smart but it seems be me that some folk here feel insecure by asking to look at a menu if it is not displayed.. there is nothing to be scared of in doing so

In my case, your hypothesis is nonsense.
    I simply can't be arsed engaging with a staff member in this circumstance. Not afraid, just can't be bothered.
    If a restaurant can't be bothered putting up a menu outside, like the vast majority of restraints in the world, I can't be arsed dealing with them.

If you enjoy doing this, good for you.

It's not that I feel insecure. It's just such an annoying way to operate that I couldn't be bothered my hole with them. Same as the beer revolu above. They're just making things very inconvenient for somebody looking for somewhere to eat. It's annoying so I just walked away.

I contacted them on FB out of curiosity and they told me they're just in the process of getting new menus for the window displays so that's why they don't have prices displayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

In my case, your hypothesis is nonsense.
    I simply can't be arsed engaging with a staff member in this circumstance. Not afraid, just can't be bothered.
    If a restaurant can't be bothered putting up a menu outside, like the vast majority of restraints in the world, I can't be arsed dealing with them.

If you enjoy doing this, good for you.
    It's not that I feel insecure. It's just such an annoying way to operate that I couldn't be bothered my hole with them. Same as the beer revolu above. They're just making things very inconvenient for somebody looking for somewhere to eat. It's annoying so I just walked away.

so ye won't spend 1 min to ask to look at the menu yet, even though ye have an interest in eating there,,, yet ye will come on line and moan about such for much longer than a min.. emmm.. sounds dubious to me..

man up and just ask for a fecking menu.. 30 secs sconce - done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

so ye won't spend 1 min to ask to look at the menu yet, even though ye have an interest in eating there,,, yet ye will come on line and moan about such for much longer than a min.. emmm.. sounds dubious to me..

man up and just ask for a fecking menu.. 30 secs sconce - done

In fairness I don't think it's too much to ask for.
    Not a hope in hell I'd be bothered to go in and ask either, just walk on to the next spot with a menu outside.

I had an unbelievably good bacon sandwich at the Eden cafe in Dwyers on Forge Hill.
    It was a toasted ciabatta with maple glazed bacon, excellent coffee as well.
    Well worth a try if you're in the area.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement