Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

For whoever asked about the river lee earlier, I have only had brekkie there, but it was very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

Italix wrote: »
    In fairness I don't think it's too much to ask for.
    Not a hope in hell I'd be bothered to go in and ask either, just walk on to the next spot with a menu outside.

I had an unbelievably good bacon sandwich at the Eden cafe in Dwyers on Forge Hill.
    It was a toasted ciabatta with maple glazed bacon, excellent coffee as well.
    Well worth a try if you're in the area.

but you are willing to spend the energy to come on here an post about it,.. emm... sure what ever your comfortable with

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

I thought that, under some consumer protection laws, restaurants were obliged to have menus with prices on display where they can be seen from the outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Oak Fire pizza got it for take away tonight absolutely brilliant pizza. Like nothing else in the city

rob316 wrote: »
    Oak Fire pizza got it for take away tonight absolutely brilliant pizza. Like nothing else in the city

how was it better than others? say Novecento? Pompeii?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sporina wrote: »
    so ye won't spend 1 min to ask to look at the menu yet, even though ye have an interest in eating there,,, yet ye will come on line and moan about such for much longer than a min.. emmm.. sounds dubious to me..

man up and just ask for a fecking menu.. 30 secs sconce - done

Oh, you're right.
    I've completely changed my attitude and will enter the next restaurant I see with no menu.

Or

Would you for the love of Jaysus let it go.
    Lots of people here have a problem with restaurants not displaying menus. You obviously don't have a problem with this. Get over it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

HI all... am looking for a restaurant for a party of 4, just a chill-out place - somewhere that has really good food - 'Les Gourmandises', was suggested, - but I find it so stuffy there.
    There will be 4 of us, like food (one's a chef), atmosphere and a pint!
    Thank you!

how was it better than others? say Novecento? Pompeii?

I don't think it was better but it was just different to those. It was closer to palmento I thought but firmer and more toppings. Got baby potatoes with pesto mayo on the side, very nice.

HI all... am looking for a restaurant for a party of 4, just a chill-out place - somewhere that has really good food - 'Les Gourmandises', was suggested, - but I find it so stuffy there.
    Thank you!

Market lane it's always my number 1 to recommend. Great house brews too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Thank you!

Market Lane ticks all the boxes and the Market Lane Lager is delicious.

you could rename the thread to the "market lane recommendation thread"

Thank you!

I'd second the Market Lane suggestion but I'd also recommend Gallaghers.
    You can book Gallaghers :)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108165883&postcount=7086

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

Thank you!

Went upstairs to Oyster few weeks back of a Friday evening - wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised and love being wrong ; food nice ( if a little limited but I think its changing) ; great service & nice atmosphere.

If you like traditional Italian food - da Marcos on Bridge street is lovely as well and he is very friendly and chatty in a nice way - nice casual buzz in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

you could rename the thread to the "market lane recommendation thread"

Market Lane or spit Jack, (I'd probably jump for market lane), anyone recently tried liberty grill in the evening...?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Market Lane or spit Jack, (I'd probably jump for market lane), anyone recently tried liberty grill in the evening...?

Liberty Grill is possibly the most overrated restaurant around. I'd cook better at home

• Advertisement

Liberty Grill is possibly the most overrated restaurant around. I'd cook better at home

Fair enough I've only been in for brunch recently (a few times) , but it's been top notch....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I hadn't been in around a year but I went back on Friday for breakfast and thought it was savage. Lots of different options, reasonable and the staff are always lovely. Haven't been for an evening bite for ages so can't comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Grabbed a pizza at Oak Fired Pizza on Saturday after the match, have to say the base is perfect and the ingredients really good. Really enjoyed it.

Grabbed a pizza at Oak Fired Pizza on Saturday after the match, have to say the base is perfect and the ingredients really good. Really enjoyed it.

Ya its really good. Had the west cork myself, good balance of toppings.

Oh, you're right.
    I've completely changed my attitude and will enter the next restaurant I see with no menu.

Or

Would you for the love of Jaysus let it go.
    Lots of people here have a problem with restaurants not displaying menus. You obviously don't have a problem with this. Get over it!

maybe you need to let the "problem" go

• Advertisement

if wanting to know prices was your only issue, why didn't you just pop in and grab a menu?
    if the menu is not on display i have no problem with going in, asking for it and having a look - whether i plan to eat at that time or not.. whats the problem with doing so? they are only restaurant staff - its not a crime and if they give you attitude then so be it - have some confidence - get the info you need..

there are much more important things to worry about..

i am not being smart but it seems be me that some folk here feel insecure by asking to look at a menu if it is not displayed.. there is nothing to be scared of in doing so
    so ye won't spend 1 min to ask to look at the menu yet, even though ye have an interest in eating there,,, yet ye will come on line and moan about such for much longer than a min.. emmm.. sounds dubious to me..

man up and just ask for a fecking menu.. 30 secs sconce - done
    but you are willing to spend the energy to come on here an post about it,.. emm... sure what ever your comfortable with
    maybe you need to let the "problem" go

Yes.
    #dogwithafeckinbone

I'm not responding to any more of your persistent attempts to change the behaviour of people online. It must be getting extremely tedious for others too, not to mention being completely off topic. Despite it not being a case of anyone being right or wrong, I will, for the sake of all readers concede that you are, in fact, right and I, and possibly others, are afraid of restaurant staff and I need to man up. I really am done on the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Went to Farmgate, Midleton on Friday night with the lady and had a really great meal. Fillet steak with jameson & mushroom sauce - possibly the best sauce I've ever had with steak. Bread and butter pudding for desert was tops too. Lovely atmosphere, staff were friendly too and will definitely be going back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

D'Agger wrote: »
    Went to Farmgate, Midleton on Friday night with the lady and had a really great meal. Fillet steak with jameson & mushroom sauce - possibly the best sauce I've ever had with steak. Bread and butter pudding for desert was tops too. Lovely atmosphere, staff were friendly too and will definitely be going back.
    Yeah we went for the first time in November and were really impressed also , I love a good desert it really ends the meal on a high

Yes.
    #dogwithafeckinbone

I'm not responding to any more of your persistent attempts to change the behaviour of people online. It must be getting extremely tedious for others too, not to mention being completely off topic. Despite it not being a case of anyone being right or wrong, I will, for the sake of all readers concede that you are, in fact, right and I, and possibly others, are afraid of restaurant staff and I need to man up. I really am done on the matter.

yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

yep

Cop on and grow up.

limnam wrote: »
    Cop on and grow up.

lol i'm not the one who's afraid of restaurant staff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I know I don’t post here much but it’s one of my favourite threads on Boards & I read it religiously but ye are spoiling it with this pettiness, can ye not just put each other on ignore or something?

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I know I don’t post here much but it’s one of my favourite threads on Boards & I read it religiously but ye are spoiling it with this pettiness, can ye not just put each other on ignore or something?

yes moving on..

just read that The Sextant is closing, but it will open at a new location..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

yes moving on..

just read that The Sextant is closing, but it will open at a new location..

I've never been in the Sextant, I believe Carey's own it though, I wonder if this means the whole block is coming down?

I had myself another bacon sandwich in cafe Eden @ Dwyer's, I've some fat belly. Honestly irresistible.
    Need to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Went to Cornstore the other day. The food and service was great, but my pet peeve was activated. Got there at about 18:30 and they gave us the early bird menu that stated last orders at 18:30. When I tried to order, they didn't have 3/6 mains on it, including the burger, steak and pasta. Left to chose between was a thai curry, pork belly, and I believe a fish dish. Generally this wouldn't bug me, but they didn't mention anything about it beforehand, only said "oh we're out of this" when I tried to order each dish. Just tell me beforehand!

Ended up having the pork belly, which was delicious, with garlic mash and a bacon jus type thing. The service was great and attentive, one of my companions had a nosebleed and was as discrete as you can be about bleeding from your face, yet the maitre d discretely popped over with some napkins, and "our" waiter stopped by to ask if he could help in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

nerwen wrote: »
    Went to Cornstore the other day. The food and service was great, but my pet peeve was activated. Got there at about 18:30 and they gave us the early bird menu that stated last orders at 18:30. When I tried to order, they didn't have 3/6 mains on it, including the burger, steak and pasta. Left to chose between was a thai curry, pork belly, and I believe a fish dish. Generally this wouldn't bug me, but they didn't mention anything about it beforehand, only said "oh we're out of this" when I tried to order each dish. Just tell me beforehand!

Ended up having the pork belly, which was delicious, with garlic mash and a bacon jus type thing. The service was great and attentive, one of my companions had a nosebleed and was as discrete as you can be about bleeding from your face, yet the maitre d discretely popped over with some napkins, and "our" waiter stopped by to ask if he could help in any way.
    I went in here a few weeks ago for lunch on a Saturday. Menu was ok, but I didn't think it was good value for what we got. It was nice, I couldn't fault any of it. It was just OK though.
    I have to check with herself and see what we had, I can't remember (says it all really)
    €9 a glass of wine is too expansive for there too imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Italix wrote: »

I had myself another bacon sandwich in cafe Eden @ Dwyer's, I've some fat belly. Honestly irresistible.
    Need to stop.

Had breakfast there, really great food that you would not expect there. http://edencafe.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

cadaliac wrote: »
    I went in here a few weeks ago for lunch on a Saturday. Menu was ok, but I didn't think it was good value for what we got. It was nice, I couldn't fault any of it. It was just OK though.
    I have to check with herself and see what we had, I can't remember (says it all really)

Yes the €9 is too expensive for too little

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Heya... I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere in the last 500+ pages, but has anyone eaten in the Dockland cafe (Lapp's Quay, next to Tequila Jacks). Looks great, but haven't seen the menu; the website seems to be down.

Was that the cheapest glass of wine available?
    If so, I'd agree that they should offer cheaper options.

Without saying what the wine is, you can't really say that €9 is too expensive. Was it no good?

who_me wrote: »
    Heya... I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere in the last 500+ pages, but has anyone eaten in the Dockland cafe (Lapp's Quay, next to Tequila Jacks). Looks great, but haven't seen the menu; the website seems to be down.

Docklands is nice, good quality food, not crazy money. Have eaten there a couple of times since it changed design. Very experienced bunch of chefs and front of house in there, it used to be club brasserie, and Harold’s and maybe something else in between. Food-wise, it’s a mix of stuff. Steak, salads, crispy pork belly, some fish dishes, crostini.

Without saying what the wine is, you can't really say that €9 is too expensive. Was it no good?

If you asked for a glass of lager, and what came out was 9 euros, you wouldn't be ordering beer often...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    If you asked for a glass of lager, and what came out was 9 euros, you wouldn't be ordering beer often...

Lager doesn't generally have the kind of price variance that wine can have.
    I'm still curious if this was the house wine or the cheapest wine. If so then I agree that it seems expensive for a casual dining restaurant but we don't have this information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Last time I was in the CornStore (happened to be the Limerick one) the wine was extortionate. I think the cheapest bottle was around 28/29 euro. Now maybe it was an excellent wine but frankly I don't care. I will generally go for the house wine or the second cheapest etc. But at 30 euro a bottle, that would be a pass. It was the first time I remember seeing a wine list and going NO thanks..too expensive. I'll have a beer thanks.
    I like a lot of wine and I don't like a lot of wine across all price ranges so I simply won't pay that much unless I KNOW I will like it. I always like the Cornstore but they need a better variety of wine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I was in the River Lee a few months back, my girlfriend had Seafood Chowder & a glass of wine. The wine was more expensive than the chowder, which is crazy.
    Was something like €9 v €7. I didn’t see a menu just asked for a glass of white & saw it on the bill after.

A New Zealand wine. The wine was "lovely" but still, a cabernet sauvignon.... and it was second cheapest I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

A New Zealand wine. The wine was "lovely" but still, a cabernet sauvignon.... and it was second cheapest I think.

NZ wines are often at a higher price point because of transport costs, I'd also be pretty nonplussed at that being second cheapest. I've noticed prices jumping around town too, I work in a wine bar (where the price of a glass hasn't changed in 2 years fyi everyone :pac:) and have had a fair few customers make the same observation recently.

Margins are veeery healthy on wine by the glass. I've known people who deliberately bumped the prices of bottles up to nudge people more towards ordering the house wine by the glass. The paranoid side of me wonders if there's some degree of coordination on the prices, or maybe it's a coincidentally common strategy to counteract the VAT increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Had lunch in Crawford and Co (formerly Market Tavern) during the week...sandwich was amazingly fresh and tasty...and my dining companion raved about the soup...will definitely be back

Do you mean a Sauvignon Blanc?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Cabernet Sauv is a wine also

• Advertisement

Has anyone been to either Boceilli on Maylor street, or the revamped Rachels (O'dwyers?) Menu in O'Dwyers looked tame... burger, chicken burger, fish&chips and a curry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Had lunch in Crawford and Co (formerly Market Tavern) during the week...sandwich was amazingly fresh and tasty...and my dining companion raved about the soup...will definitely be back
    Been meaning to get in there because it looks great from Instagram & there's a market there too where you can pick up some fresh produce at the weekends I believe

Yes I actually do (my bad) my wife was drinking it. I always drink Cabernet sauvignon.

Sorry about that.

For clarification purposes, re; cornstore, she had prawn pil pil, I had a Cesar salad and our daughter had a portion of chips and garlic bread. All very average and expensive for what you got, imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

(Not directly related to this thread... but seems a good place to ask... with all you wine buffs!)

I've a wine question. I've been to a certain Cork restaurant several times, and recently tried a new wine there. Now, I've been told I have a poor sense of smell (NOT a nice compliment to receive! :) ), but when I picked up the glass, all I could get was a smell much like nail-varnish. Not a faint whiff, but a pungent smell. I could only drink it by holding my breath while drinking. And yup, it tasted every bit as good as it smelt!

I thought it might be something on the glass - the cleaning detergent etc. - so I politely asked for another. They brought me another from a fresh bottle of the same label, and it was much better, but still noticeable. I went there again recently, and forgetfully ordered the same wine, and sure enough got the same smell/taste off it (though the mild one, not the overpowering version).

It was a Malbec.. I'm far from a fussy wine-drinking, if I ask for Malbec and someone gives me Merlot or Pinot Noir I wouldn't have a clue. But this seems to a "feature" of this brand of Malbec, noticeable in freshly opened bottles and absolutely nasty after the bottle has been open for a while. Is this common? I've never been served a glass of wine that I've returned before... I could understand an individual bottle being spoiled, but not several. I find it hard to believe there's someone out there thinking "hmmmm, I think there's a huge market opportunity for a Cabernet-Varnish blend...." :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement