Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

who_me wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe there's someone out there thinking "hmmmm, I think there's a huge market opportunity for a Cabernet-Varnish blend...." :P

Could your taste buds being sensitive, I can't smell / eat Gorgonzola cheese at all, while else eating everything. But this cheese causes the same reaction as licking a battery. (for science ofc)
    That's why places like l'atidude are cool where you can taste several wines before deciding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Acetone smell in wine is a telltale sign of poor winemaking. Either the wine going bad, or a bad batch, or a cheap wine basically.

It is the stage before the wine goes to vinegar, very high acidity.

I’d say you have a good nose! Well suited to getting into good wine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭GEM_13

pwurple wrote: »
    Has anyone been to either Boceilli on Maylor street, or the revamped Rachels (O'dwyers?) Menu in O'Dwyers looked tame... burger, chicken burger, fish&chips and a curry.

Tried Bocelli about 3 weeks ago. I thought the menu was quite good. Kids had pizza and meatballs & pasta. They are fussy enough but they loved it.

I got the penne paglicci and it was excellent. The toilets were being renovated and were ok but I would definitely go back .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

cadaliac wrote: »
    Yes I actually do (my bad) my wife was drinking it. I always drink Cabernet sauvignon.

Sorry about that.

awe i was thinking as much, as Cabernet Sauvignon wouldn't be a common wine from NZ on menus here - whereas Sauvignon Blanc is - v much so.. some of my fav white wines are from the Marlborough region.. hmm.. but they are always at a higher price - but i find them v good quality - much better than a lot of others..

GEM_13 wrote: »
    Tried Bocelli about 3 weeks ago. I thought the menu was quite good. Kids had pizza and meatballs & pasta. They are fussy enough but they loved it.

I got the penne paglicci and it was excellent. The toilets were being renovated and were ok but I would definitely go back .

Thanks! What is penne paglicci?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Looking for somewhere decent for brunch today that we could also grab a pint in, recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Looking for somewhere decent for brunch today that we could also grab a pint in, recommendations?

Rum on Marlboro st. Tapas and lots of other stuff available on the menu.
    It’s quite good. Full bar too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Cafe Torino, on Washington Street, has got great reviews on Google.

However I wasn't overly impressed with the cannelloni, which was mushy and dry, obviously had been some time out of the oven before reheating. Some salad would have helped vary the texture.

Still, worth a shot. Maybe their pastries are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Is there any one area in Cork city that has a good selection of restaurants? Have been in the city a few times and outside the Patrick street area - I have spectacularly failed to find decent restaurants. Some I was looking for I found were closed despite declared opening hours or had closed up shop completely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

gozunda wrote: »
    Is there any one area in Cork city that has a good selection of restaurants? Have been in the city a few times and outside the Patrick street area - I have spectacularly failed to find decent restaurants. Some I was looking for I found were closed despite declared opening hours or had closed up shop completely!

Washington Street and MacCurtain Street would both have some very nice options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

Could someone explain this, how is it that wines from the other end of the world such as New Zealand and Chile are in greater numbers and generally cheaper than those from Europe in Irish shops ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Went to The Oyster Tavern for the first time for brunch today.
    For some reason, I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised. A nice, unfussy brunch menu, including a burger and fish and chips for those wanting something more lunchy, well executed food, good coffee, a nice space and lovely, efficient staff.
    Good value, too, I thought.

Went to The Oyster Tavern for the first time for brunch today.
    For some reason, I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised. A nice, unfussy brunch menu, including a burger and fish and chips for those wanting something more lunchy, well executed food, good coffee, a nice space and lovely, efficient staff.
    Good value, too, I thought.

I’ve only ever had drinks there and have to say the all the staff are extremely sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The price of wine has no link to its production and shipping costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Brunch in Lab 82 recently. Pretty good. Menu a bit different and lots of choice. Coffee excellent. Few little things that weren't great but overall would try it again.

Could someone explain this, how is it that wines from the other end of the world such as New Zealand and Chile are in greater numbers and generally cheaper than those from Europe in Irish shops ?

Marketing.

Shipping costs are very low. To ship a full container costs 2000 pound and carries 14400 bottles. So roughly 15 cents per bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Water John wrote: »
    The price of wine has no link to its production and shipping costs.

Of course it does.
    The price of anything is generally somewhere between the cost of production (and shipping) and what someone is willing to pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

It is simply cheaper even with shipping costs. There is no tax advantage buying wine from EU compared to new world therefor difference between New World and EU is mainly due to 'ex-cellar price' and difference in logistics costs.

So for example in Chile, the ex-cellar price is very low as the cost of production is very low, which more than covers the additional costs. New World wine also typically use a lot more machinery and technology to mass produce thus cheaper.

(I know someone who imports white wine from NZ!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

gozunda wrote: »

Hah, I can understand that. Most of the restaurants in Cork seem to be all down side-streets or off the beaten track. Patrick St. itself has few restaurants other than fast-food - funnily the council seem very intent on not having bars/cafes and restaurants on Patrick St., yet it ends up with fast food joints, pop-up stores and empty units.

So you really have to head up and down the side-streets, between Patrick St. and Paul St. especially (Carey's Lane, French Church St., Academy St.), and between Patrick St. and Oliver Plunkett St. / South Mall (Prince's, Marlboro and Cook Streets).

Across the bridge and Bridge St. / McCurtain St. are good too.

Anyone gone to Pink Moon on Washington Street?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Anyone gone to Pink Moon on Washington Street?

Isn't that just a sandwich bar ?

Isn't that just a sandwich bar ?

I saw that they do a hot dish of the day too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

who_me wrote: »
    Hah, I can understand that. Most of the restaurants in Cork seem to be all down side-streets or off the beaten track. Patrick St. itself has few restaurants other than fast-food - funnily the council seem very intent on not having bars/cafes and restaurants on Patrick St., yet it ends up with fast food joints, pop-up stores and empty units.

So you really have to head up and down the side-streets, between Patrick St. and Paul St. especially (Carey's Lane, French Church St., Academy St.), and between Patrick St. and Oliver Plunkett St. / South Mall (Prince's, Marlboro and Cook Streets).

Across the bridge and Bridge St. / McCurtain St. are good too.

Imo one of the biggest mistakes the council is making is not having restaurants or bars on Pana.
    I'd love to know the thinking behind allowing ecig shops but restricting bars and restaurants.
    If I had my way I'd ban cars permanently and encourage a café culture on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

There is a new Nano-Brewery and Restaurant coming to Cork. Planning has been granted to Cotton Ball Brewing Company to redevelop parts of the former Thompson House, previously a bakery, on MacCurtain Street.

Sounds interesting ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Grabbed a pizza at Oak Fired Pizza on Saturday after the match, have to say the base is perfect and the ingredients really good. Really enjoyed it.

Had lunch across the road in Burnt today, much bigger operation. I ordered from the brunch menu so can't comment on the pizzas but they were noticeably more expensive. My friend said his pizza was nicer but again you paying a bit more for it, €15 is a bit rich for lunch for my blood.

Everything else was fine, friend staff not too long to wait etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

Have to really recommend Slice, at the top of Oliver Plunkett St/Lapps Quay (where Panda Mama Chinese used to be.) Went there with my family recently and we were all blown away.

I think individual pizzas start from about €10 - you can choose between 9.5in or 13in. At lunch time (I think 12-2pm but don't quote me on that) you can get a 9.5in or a salad and a drink (hot or cold) for €10.

My mother said it was the best pizza she had ever had, and that woman is notoriously difficult to please. Definite recommendation, possibly my new favourite place to eat in the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Have to really recommend Slice, at the top of Oliver Plunkett St/Lapps Quay (where Panda Mama Chinese used to be.) Went there with my family recently and we were all blown away.

I think individual pizzas start from about €10 - you can choose between 9.5in or 13in. At lunch time (I think 12-2pm but don't quote me on that) you can get a 9.5in or a salad and a drink (hot or cold) for €10.

My mother said it was the best pizza she had ever had, and that woman is notoriously difficult to please. Definite recommendation, possibly my new favourite place to eat in the city.

Fair play, the only positive review I've seen of this place. Hopefully they upped their game as it was mediocre the last time I tried it. Might give it a second shot.

Friend loudly singing praises of a new place in Washington street today called Bleu Bistro. Small place but she says it's one of the best around. Hope to try it myself soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Fair play, the only positive review I've seen of this place. Hopefully they upped their game as it was mediocre the last time I tried it. Might give it a second shot.

I’ve been to Sliced a good few times and I’ve only had one bad meal there (carbonara).

• Advertisement

Bunsen are on deliveroo now, so much for the diet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Bunsen are on deliveroo now, so much for the diet...

Got it last night- just as nice being delivered. Best burger in town.

Friend loudly singing praises of a new place in Washington street today called Bleu Bistro. Small place but she says it's one of the best around. Hope to try it myself soon.

I heard the onion soup is good. Would love to try. There's a shortage of reasonably priced French food.

Got it last night- just as nice being delivered. Best burger in town.

Ordered from them on Thursday, delivery guy got lost and my chips were cold. Burger was still warm thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Ordered from them on Thursday, delivery guy got lost and my chips were cold. Burger was still warm thankfully.

Actually saying that my chips were luke warm and the delivery guy went a long way around to get to the house. Probably the same guy!

You think with GPS they could get it right.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    You think with GPS they could get it right.

I know, and I always put in directions as well on the app. I live really close to town in a very easy to find house, but yer man stopped up the road and stayed there for a while before I get an notification from deliveroo saying he can't find me and I have to go and meet him. It's annoying you can't wait until you get your food before tipping these guys. I always tip on deliveroo but sometimes they make you regret it!

Does eircode work for this?

Ivory Tower is closing end of march, he is moving to Killarney for a new restaurant.

Harika wrote: »
    Ivory Tower is closing end of march, he is moving to Killarney for a new restaurant.

saw a post about this on fb - this is was from the examiner - and some of the comments were tough..

tbh i ate in his restaurant twice and loved the food but thats before i knew who the chef actually was - now apart from anything about his love life, i would not eat in his restaurant again as I have since seen him walking around town and putting it politely, he looks v v unkempt - kinda magnifies the fsai issue

i wish him the best of luck though

• Advertisement

There is the link : https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/lifestyle/foodanddrink/why-seamus-oconnell-is-shutting-down-the-ivory-tower-904452.html
    I never was aware of the closure but enjoyed every time the cooking what from the link he described as not by the wishes from the customers as they wanted steak well done and bordeaux and instead you got this fusion of different foods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Harika wrote: »

Good for Killarney though. I’m from Killarney and always find it hard to find good places to eat when I go home. We are spoiled in Cork really.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

sporina wrote: »
    saw a post about this on fb - this is was from the examiner - and some of the comments were tough..

tbh i ate in his restaurant twice and loved the food but thats before i knew who the chef actually was - now apart from anything about his love life, i would not eat in his restaurant again as I have since seen him walking around town and putting it politely, he looks v v unkempt - kinda magnifies the fsai issue

Strange post. You're a barrel of laughs I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Mardyke wrote: »
    Strange post. You're a barrel of laughs I'd say.

Was in that building and restaurant before, the place is a kip, untidy, dusty and unkempt. As for the man himself... Ignorant

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Was in that building and restaurant before, the place is a kip, untidy, dusty and unkempt. As for the man himself... Ignorant

yeah and when i see him around town .. gee... he looks like someone who needs a good wash and a feed, never mind someone who you would pay to cook your dinner for you.. ekk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Cotts72 wrote: »

To add to all that, the food is rubbish.

Went there once, an underwhelming experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

sporina wrote: »

What’s the story about his love life?

Ah jesus lads, this is a bit much now. A lot of us know these people, Cork is small.

• Advertisement

Eating in ivory tower, was the best culinary experience I ever had in Cork, years ago.

I know Seamus can look a little unkempt, but the food was always amazing, and would not judge from either his personal life or appearance.

Ivory tower will be well missed. Would like to visit his new venture in kerry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement