Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The problem with KFC is, its awful sh*te.

Thats not me trying to be a fast food snob or anything but its muck.

Given its got the biggest fast food franchise less than 100ft away and about a dozen other competitors in the village for take aways or sit down, I dont think it was ever going to do a massive trade out there.

The only time I went out there to the drive thru was during the summer looking for one of there ice cream crushem's and they had no ice cream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

GavRedKing wrote: »
    The problem with KFC is, its awful sh*te.

Thats not me trying to be a fast food snob or anything but its muck.

Given its got the biggest fast food franchise less than 100ft away and about a dozen other competitors in the village for take aways or sit down, I dont think it was ever going to do a massive trade out there.

The only time I went out there to the drive thru was during the summer looking for one of there ice cream crushem's and they had no ice cream.

It actually is, anytime I've had it (about 4 times in total and only because other people were going there) I've been massively disappointed. I don't understand why it's one of the biggest fast food chains in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So the rule is, if you're going for fast food in Douglas you drop the F from KFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Speaking of Douglas, is Kubo gone? Looked to be shut yesterday evening.

snotboogie wrote: »

i ordered takeaway from them about 2 wks ago

Although that doesn't answer your question!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

i ordered takeaway from them about 2 wks ago

Although that doesn't answer your question!

Going off their instagram they are still open and posting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Had Kubo on Sunday and very nice it was so I assume for now that they are still open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I hope not! Fantastic food, especially the lunch specials. Pad Thai, delish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Everyone seems to love it (myself included),so it's hard to imagine that they have!

Edit. They just updated FB with a post advertising mon and tues deals so dont think they definitely haven't: )

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I was there on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Apologies if I got it wrong on Kubo, I will take a walk over this weekend to double check and update here. Agreed on the food there, best Asian fast food in the city, service can be patchy though.

Brewdog talking of opening in Cork but want to get through a few locations in Dublin first, so probably 12 months off at best. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go in around the new developments in the Docklands since they have targeted Capitol Dock in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Apologies if I got it wrong on Kubo, I will take a walk over this weekend to double check and update here. Agreed on the food there, best Asian fast food in the city, service can be patchy though.

Brewdog talking of opening in Cork but want to get through a few locations in Dublin first, so probably 12 months off at best. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go in around the new developments in the Docklands since they have targeted Capitol Dock in Dublin.

That’s great news, I love their punk IPA.

Is there a pubs in Cork recommendation thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

fin12 wrote: »
    That’s great news, I love their punk IPA.

Is there a pubs in Cork recommendation thread?

Bierhaus has punk on at the moment.

Bierhaus has punk on at the moment.

Thanks, where is that bar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Thanks, where is that bar?

Up
    Near the comedy club after you pass Sin É

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Up
    Near the comedy club after you pass Sin É

Are you thinking of the Abbot Ale House? The Bierhaus is not too far away, but it's on Pope's Quay just by the pedestrian bridge.

who_me wrote: »
    Are you thinking of the Abbot Ale House? The Bierhaus is not too far away, but it's on Pope's Quay just by the pedestrian bridge.

Oh right next to Thali Nepal, meaning to go to that restaurant now for ages so have even more reason to go now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Oh right next to Thali Nepal, meaning to go to that restaurant now for ages so have even more reason to go now.

Thali is very good, I recommend the jimbu chicken. Their naan breads are the best I've had in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Thali is very good, I recommend the jimbu chicken. Their naan breads are the best I've had in Cork.

do they have hummous on their menu?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

sporina wrote: »
    do they have hummous on their menu?

No, afraid not. It's more Indian/Nepali.

The Bierhaus is great, IMO. A huge selection of - unsurprisingly - beers. From the everyday, to the stuff of nightmares served in shot glasses.

It's not massive, but you have big crowds sit outside in the summer as it's a bit of a sun trap (and the footpath outside borders a cycle-path so you're less likely to be run over).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Was given a gift of €150 meal voucher for Soho Bar. Has anyone been there? Is the food and service OK ? Best evening to visit ? It always impressed me as a kind of "loud music" place, and while I love music, not while I'm eating....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

nlrkjos wrote: »
    Was given a gift of €150 meal voucher for Soho Bar. Has anyone been there? Is the food and service OK ? Best evening to visit ? It always impressed me as a kind of "loud music" place, and while I love music, not while I'm eating....

They had/have more of a restaurant vibe upstairs. Do good wings, grand steaks etc. Wouldn't say no to a free meal there and a few drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

I see that bar on Marlboro St, which was called RUM is now being done up and renamed as Spyglass (if I recall correctly!)

Mardyke wrote: »
    I see that bar on Marlboro St, which was called RUM is now being done up and renamed as Spyglass (if I recall correctly!)

Isnt that where the sextant are relocating to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

Any suggestions on Sunday lunch? Looking for something like a roast/carvery... as with elderly parents. Was going to go to elm tree but they don’t take bookings for Sunday lunch. Any other suggestions?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

suds1984 wrote: »
    Any suggestions on Sunday lunch? Looking for something like a roast/carvery... as with elderly parents. Was going to go to elm tree but they don’t take bookings for Sunday lunch. Any other suggestions?

Viaduct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭mrpdap

suds1984 wrote: »
    The Imperial is a good spot if you’re chasing a carvery. Not sure if they take bookings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Man Friday in Kinsale for lunch is nice if you are up for a little drive or The Barn in Mayfield/Glanmire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not carvery but Sage in Middleton do a lovely Sunday lunch that seems to go down well with more conservative eaters.
    It's more simple than their evening menus.

• Advertisement

Drove past yesterday and it was open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

Popped into Comix on the Kinsale road this morning for breakfast, very nice full brekkie.
    Worth a visit if you're passing.

On KFC, It's utter drivel in Ireland, simple as.
    In England however anywhere I've ever tried is simply delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Viaduct?

Was there a few weeks ago, place was chaotic, messy and food was very poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

siblers wrote: »
    Was there a few weeks ago, place was chaotic, messy and food was very poor

Yera, it's not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Joes & Bros this morning for brunch. It was very busy so there was a bit of a wait, but it was worth it. The food was really tasty and the staff were lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Tedo, princess st. Brilliant. Tapas, had beef enchiladas and Argentinian empanadas, after an artisan meat and cheese platter (shared).
    Good kids options too
    Had a Spanish red (crianza) and my wife had a Spanish white which was equally good
    Would highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Barry's in Douglas do a great carvery on a Sunday. Very good quality, portions and reasonably priced. Nice surroundings too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭timtim2016

Any place to get evening/late night coffee in or around the city other than Starbucks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

timtim2016 wrote: »
    Any place to get evening/late night coffee in or around the city other than Starbucks?

the internet cafe on winthrop st

sporina wrote: »
    the internet cafe on winthrop st

How is the coffee in there? i've never tried it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Pity tabletop don't stay open until 10/11 - would be a great spot to pop in for a coffee at nighttime instead of heading to a pub. Can't think of the name of the establishment that used to be across from Fast Eddies (now Mason/TableTop) but that has been mentioned on this forum a few times as being badly missed - never went there myself, closed while I was in college.

I think it's nice enough but haven't gone there in quite a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

D'Agger wrote: »
    Can't think of the name of the establishment that used to be across from Fast Eddies (now Mason/TableTop) but that has been mentioned on this forum a few times as being badly missed - never went there myself, closed while I was in college.

Tribes?

tailgunner wrote: »
    Tribes?
    Spot on, they were open late weren't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

They were, can't remember the exact opening hours but I definitely remember being in there after the late bars closed.

Its average enough, but the cafe is a handy spot to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Pity tabletop don't stay open until 10/11 - would be a great spot to pop in for a coffee at nighttime instead of heading to a pub. Can't think of the name of the establishment that used to be across from Fast Eddies (now Mason/TableTop) but that has been mentioned on this forum a few times as being badly missed - never went there myself, closed while I was in college.

Its open till 11 most nights, its so small though its rare there is a space in there.

My wife doesn't drink so its a nice alternative for us to go to, I can have a beer while she has a coffee and a bit of cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Think you're mixing up Tabletop and Tiptop here? Tabletop is on Castle St and it is open until 11 most nights.

tailgunner wrote: »
    They were, can't remember the exact opening hours but I definitely remember being in there after the late bars closed.

Open until 4 I think. Absolutely blew my mind that you could walk out of a club and get some sit-down food and a coffee (and the food wasn't fast-food).

I want it back. I mean, does anyone really want to eat in a food establishment named after/like mens' undies? Yeesh.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    Its open till 11 most nights, its so small though its rare there is a space in there.

My wife doesn't drink so its a nice alternative for us to go to, I can have a beer while she has a coffee and a bit of cake.
    Think you're mixing up Tabletop and Tiptop here? Tabletop is on Castle St and it is open until 11 most nights.

Was thinking of the right place but checked their FB page and it's down as open from 11am - 8pm, I can't get to their webpage at work.

Apologies for any confusion caused! Will def try get in there soon for a mini-night out

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement