Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dropped into Ninja Sushi Bento today.
    They have a deal on at the moment - 3 for the price of 2 on all individual sushi.

I had six pieces of nigri, a bowl of miso soup, some wasabi and pickled ginger. The bill came to €5.45 but they undercharged me. Think it should have been €6.80. When I went back up to point this out, they wouldn't charge me the extra.

Very nice sushi and seriously good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

Dropped into Ninja Sushi Bento today.
    They have a deal on at the moment - 3 for the price of 2 on all individual sushi.

I had six pieces of nigri, a bowl of miso soup, some wasabi and pickled ginger. The bill came to €5.45 but they undercharged me. Think it should have been €6.80. When I went back up to point this out, they wouldn't charge me the extra.

Very nice sushi and seriously good value.

Must give it a go.

Non food related, but it's odd they have a hotmail address for a business contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Did the Cork pub recommendation thread ever get up and running?
    Looking for somewhere 9 of us can watch the last two six Nations games this Saturday.
    We normally go to sober Lane but the TV quality and location isn't ideal,
    tried The woolshed a few years ago and after being in contact via phone and email and guaranteed they'd be showing South Africa v Australia Game (it's an Australian bar) we were thrown down the back by then gents watching a small portable with no audio.
    Silly Goose has great TV's and booths but any time we've been there we're normally the only ones in there in the afternoon and only starts filling up when we're leaving.
    And then deep South has probably the worst quality bigscreen I've ever witnessed and most people in there are oblivious that there's even a game on.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Looking for somewhere 9 of us can watch the last two six Nations games this Saturday.
    tried The woolshed a few years ago and after being in contact via phone and email and guaranteed they'd be showing South Africa v Australia Game (it's an Australian bar) we were thrown down the back by then gents watching a small portable with no audio.
    Silly Goose has great TV's and booths but any time we've been there we're normally the only ones in there in the afternoon and only starts filling up when we're leaving.
    And then deep South has probably the worst quality bigscreen I've ever witnessed and most people in there are oblivious that there's even a game on.

A few of us booked a cabin in deep south. 12 of us there, pizza, Guinness and our own space. TV was a bit small but we could chat away etc and it was a good experience. We did it for the Scotland game. I'm not sure if any of the cabins are available for this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The new Dwyers place on Washington St looks good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Reardans is surprisingly good now. Big screen at the back, lots of tables and food served.
    Rising Sons has one of the largest screens around, though the seating layout isn't ideal for watching. Pizzas only.
    If the weather is mild enough, the Courtyard is a great call. Been in there for some Munster games and people are certainly aware, it's jammers.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, totally forgot about the cabins out the back of deep South so I'm waiting on an email back.
    Dwyers are fully booked from 12 till 6.
    Thought about rising sons but not everyone is into craft beers.
    I was in Reardans last Friday night for the first time in years and I still can't take to the place.
    Looking at the forecast unfortunately the courtyard isn't going to be enjoyable Saturday.

On the food side of things, 23 of us ate in Holy Smoke two weeks ago for a work outing and it was really good, we availed of the bowl & dine offer which included a starter and a main,
    I had the ox cheek to start which was absolutely melt in your mouth, I only wish I could have got it for a main also,
    My main was the pitmaster which consisted of half a rack of ribs, BBQ chicken and pulled pork with coleslaw and chips, where everything on the plate was really tasty.
    I sampled a friend's fishcakes and another one prawns which both of were very tasty.

Inside frugal tip, if you're drinking Stonewell cider for the night in any of the Mardyke areas I think it's roughly €7 or €7.50 but if you pre arrange drinks vouchers for yourself they're only €6 and they accept them against Stonewell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

suds1984 wrote: »
    Any suggestions on Sunday lunch? Looking for something like a roast/carvery... as with elderly parents. Was going to go to elm tree but they don’t take bookings for Sunday lunch. Any other suggestions?

The Model Farm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Had lunch in Dwyers today, really like the setup inside which has an area specifically away from the big screen tv and noise, if that's your jam. Service was nice too.

Had a chicken and stuffing toasted sandwich with fries for €10, was pretty good and decent value I think. Menu isn't terribly exciting, but I'll probably go again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

who_me wrote: »
    Open until 4 I think. Absolutely blew my mind that you could walk out of a club and get some sit-down food and a coffee (and the food wasn't fast-food).

I want it back. I mean, does anyone really want to eat in a food establishment named after/like mens' undies? Yeesh.

Ginger bread house used to be on paul street was similar too.

• Advertisement

A few of us booked a cabin in deep south. 12 of us there, pizza, Guinness and our own space. TV was a bit small but we could chat away etc and it was a good experience. We did it for the Scotland game. I'm not sure if any of the cabins are available for this weekend.

Cheers for the recommendation, we got a cabin in Deep South and it was ideal, TV was Grand, nothing groundbreaking, heaters and blankets, also a great buzz in the beer garden all day.
    On the food side of things they had a burger van, I got a buffalo chicken burger which was nice but not €8 nice without sides,
    One of the other lads got a cheeseburger which was also €8 if I remember correctly and it was honestly like a big Al's and he said it wasn't nice.
    Anyway looking for another recommendation please,
    I have a meeting out the Western Road this evening and I won't have time to cook before I leave so I'll have roughly an hour to grab something between 18:30 and 19:30 preferably on Washington Street or the Western Road,
    Was thinking maybe West Cork Burgers or The River Lee Hotel.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Cheers for the recommendation, we got a cabin in Deep South and it was ideal, TV was Grand, nothing groundbreaking, heaters and blankets, also a great buzz in the beer garden all day.
    On the food side of things they had a burger van, I got a buffalo chicken burger which was nice but not €8 nice without sides,
    One of the other lads got a cheeseburger which was also €8 if I remember correctly and it was honestly like a big Al's and he said it wasn't nice.
    Anyway looking for another recommendation please,
    I have a meeting out the Western Road this evening and I won't have time to cook before I leave so I'll have roughly an hour to grab something between 18:30 and 19:30 preferably on Washington Street or the Western Road,
    Was thinking maybe West Cork Burgers or The River Lee Hotel.
    Thanks

I'd go with West Cork Burger. Honestly I have been put right off the River Lee hotel after my recent exprerience of trying to book a table there. I had to ring them and email them 4 times and eventually got through and the guy told me he'd take my details and ring me back. To cut a long story short, they didn't ring me back so ended up booking the Raven (no problem) and the food was delicious and the staff were very nice. While I was actually in the Raven I had two missed calls from the River Lee....really bad customer service. Don't know about the food though cos I never got there to try it :pac:

went to Coqbull for the first time last night.
    I liked the space and the atmosphere there and the dreaded too loud music was not a thing as I feared it might be.
    Food was pretty poor, though and expensive for the quality.
    I had rotisserie 1/2 chicken with gravy and chips. Chicken was overcooked and dry, chips not very crispy. Gravy was nice. €13.50
    Mrs. Beer had a special which was a fennel sausage served in a roll with chips. The roll they put it in was a hard crusty roll - totally unsuited to eating with a sausage, served with some toppings and chips. A very cheeky €15.50 for a slightly tarted up sausage in a roll with chips!

When clearing our plates, the server asked was everything ok. I mentioned the dry chicken - he said he'd pass this information on. We weren't offered anything and noting was taken off the bill. I didn't expect a free meal but I think some small gesture should have been made.

I wouldn't be in a rush back.

In Iyers for lunch.

Bit like Elbow lane in the fact every time I walk out of it I'm smiling ear to ear.

The food, the service. Even though the place is a bit cramped there's something really cosy about it I love.

Far from a vegetarian but if I could cook like that I'd consder it! ;)

When clearing our plates, the server asked was everything ok. I mentioned the dry chicken - he said he'd pass this information on. We weren't offered anything and noting was taken off the bill. I didn't expect a free meal but I think some small gesture should have been made.

I wouldn't be in a rush back.

This is one of my bug bears.

Places can have off days. But when feedback is given if I was in there shoes I'd move heaven on earth to make sure you left satisfied in anyway I could. I never understand this mentality.

I guess the servers don't really care too much.

limnam wrote: »
    In Iyers for lunch.

Bit like Elbow lane in the fact every time I walk out of it I'm smiling ear to ear.

The food, the service. Even though the place is a bit cramped there's something really cosy about it I love.

Far from a vegetarian but if I could cook like that I'd consder it! ;)

Ha, ha, the reason we went to Coqbull was because Iyer's was, for some reason, closed last night. Galled me to pay way more money for lesser quality food.
    Iyer's is crazy good value for money - everywhere else seems very expensive in comparison.

Ha, ha, the reason we went to Coqbull was because Iyer's was, for some reason, closed last night. Galled me to pay way more money for lesser quality food.
    Iyer's is crazy good value for money - everywhere else seems very expensive in comparison.

Yes sometimes I feel guilty when I see the bill. Such quality at such a low price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

leahyl wrote: »
    I'd go with West Cork Burger. Honestly I have been put right off the River Lee hotel after my recent exprerience of trying to book a table there. I had to ring them and email them 4 times and eventually got through and the guy told me he'd take my details and ring me back. To cut a long story short, they didn't ring me back so ended up booking the Raven (no problem) and the food was delicious and the staff were very nice. While I was actually in the Raven I had two missed calls from the River Lee....really bad customer service. Don't know about the food though cos I never got there to try it :pac:

The Raven? Does that do food?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭opus

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Anyone gone to Pink Moon on Washington Street?

Was in there today, came to €10 for a cup of soup & a lentil pasty thing with a side salad. They had a special as well (caribbean casserole I think). Food was tasty so will definitely head back there again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

who_me wrote: »
    The Raven? Does that do food?

Oh yes. It had a revamp there a while back.
    I haven't eaten there yet but would like to.

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Oh yes. It had a revamp there a while back.
    I haven't eaten there yet but would like to.

Had a really nice halloumi burger there, it’s not fancy food but just really tasty, everyone I was with enjoyed what they had and the staff are very nice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

I had a toastie at the priory coffee co the other day.
    Very nice, barley able to finish it, the badger & dodo is excellent as well.

I also popped back in to Eden cafe for what's turning into my weekly bacon sandwich, lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭sporina

had a meal in La Dolce Vita Proby's Quay last night - food was v good and the service was great but man there is a draught in there.. we were v cold..

twas the same last time I was there and that was years ago...

such a shame,.. it would put me off as its uncomfortable eating while feeling cold..

sporina wrote: »
    had a meal in La Dolce Vita Proby's Quay last night - food was v good and the service was great but man there is a draught in there.. we were v cold..

twas the same last time I was there and that was years ago...

such a shame,.. it would put me off as its uncomfortable eating while feeling cold..

Did you mention it to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Italix wrote: »
    I had a toastie at the priory coffee co the other day.
    Very nice, barley able to finish it, the badger & dodo is excellent as well.

I also popped back in to Eden cafe for what's turning into my weekly bacon sandwich, lovely.

The priorys toasties are really great...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

limnam wrote: »
    Did you mention it to them?

no i didn't, normally I would but it wasn't appropriate last night

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

Had lunch in the raddison in little island today lovely buffet Sunday lunch . THe buffet is great cause you can get what u want and seconds if you can fit it in 😀 Really tasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

May I ask how much is this Sunday buffet?

It is expensive at €14.50 but you can get seconds and it includes tea/coffee after . And people really do fill their plates up ! It's very family friendly with a lovely outdoor playground just outside the seating area . Would advise to book if it was a special occasion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Buffet in Little Island is on all week it's worth noting as I've popped in there during a work day for a good feed from time to time.

Also, not a restaurant but popped into Impala the new pup in Cavanaghs old spot, across from where Redz was and have to say I think it's a great spot, nice beer, nice atmosphere and lighting - brilliant music by them which is key and it wasn't blaring by any means, will definitely be back for more nights there.

D'Agger wrote: »
    Buffet in Little Island is on all week it's worth noting as I've popped in there during a work day for a good feed from time to time.

Did t know they did it during a week day that's handy to know !

Went to careswood garden center in Castlemartyr the other day for lunch it was lovely , not cheap but well worth the money . Had goats cheese and bacon quiche and the most amazing potato salad really tasty

leahyl wrote: »

I took your advice and went to West Cork Burger last Thursday evening,
    The place is nice, a small but burrito and blues vibe,
    There was an obnoxious guy across from me and he was in a group of what looked like two couples but no one else got a work a word in, if I heard one more thing about the time he lived in Barcelona I was going to price flights and show them to him so he'd feck off back.

Ok rant over but that reduced my experience phenomenally,
    I went for one of the specials a Ghost burger which was basically a burger Patty in a brioche bun with onions, cheese and ghost chilli sauce and I got chips with that,
    I had a bottle of Stonewell while I was waiting and had one with the burger.
    It was very nice but honestly nothing spectacular and Bunsen far far surpasses it,
    I've also had a better burger in Silly Goose.
    Chips were nice but could have done with more.

Now two things that I don't think are acceptable are the price €27 for a burger+chips & two ciders.
    Time 1 full hour by the time I was seated until I left, which only gave me 10 minutes to get to my meeting in the River Lee.

Won't be rushing back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

There was an obnoxious guy across from me and he was in a group of what looked like two couples but no one else got a work a word in, if I heard one more thing about the time he lived in Barcelona I was going to price flights and show them to him so he'd feck off back.

I went for one of the specials a Ghost burger which was basically a burger Patty in a brioche bun with onions, cheese and ghost chilli sauce and I got chips with that,
    It was very nice but honestly nothing spectacular and Bunsen far far surpasses it,

Now two things that I don't think are acceptable are the price €27 for a burger+chips & two ciders.
    Time 1 full hour by the time I was seated until I left, which only gave me 10 minutes to get to my meeting in the River Lee.

Won't be rushing back.

I've had this exact experience in West Cork Burger Co. I like the food and the staff were very apologetic - they gave us some free sides to say sorry - but it's not an acceptable amount of time to wait for a burger and chips.

It looked to me like preference was being given to takeaway orders as the Deliveroo drivers were in and out like crazy, being handed bags immediately, but it definitely frustrated me to be waiting for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Two bottles of Stonewell would be the guts of 15 quid pretty much everywhere wouldn't it? €12-15 for a burger and chips doesn't strike me as extortionate if they're nice.

• Advertisement

Won't be rushing back.

Aw, sorry you had a bad experience. I've only ever had a good experiece there and their burgers along with bunsen would be my favourite in the city. Having said that I ate in Silly Goose once and was suprised at how nice the burger was; maybe I'll pay another visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Had an excellent lunch in the Spitjack last weekend. I don't know why it took me so long to try it, but I'm sorry I didn't go sooner.

I had the ceaser salad sandwich & it was lush. The chicken was juicy, the bacon was crispy and the added touch of avocado made it even more delicious. It came with chips and a side salad, both of which were fab. I love skin-on chips and they're hard to find these days!
    It was all generously sized and very filling, despite being from the lunch menu.

Its one of the tastiest meals I've had in ages and it just goes to show how a basic option on a menu can be amazing when made right with top quality ingredients.

The service was prompt and friendly, and the tables aren't on top of each other either, which is a plus.
    Including a cappuccino, it all came to about €13 iirc, which is very good value for money.
    Will definitely be returning, I can see it becoming a regular spot for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Had an excellent lunch in the Spitjack last weekend. I don't know why it took me so long to try it, but I'm sorry I didn't go sooner.

I had the ceaser salad sandwich & it was lush. The chicken was juicy, the bacon was crispy and the added touch of avocado made it even more delicious. It came with chips and a side salad, both of which were fab. I love skin-on chips and they're hard to find these days!
    It was all generously sized and very filling, despite being from the lunch menu.

Its one of the tastiest meals I've had in ages and it just goes to show how a basic option on a menu can be amazing when made right with top quality ingredients.

The service was prompt and friendly, and the tables aren't on top of each other either, which is a plus.
    Including a cappuccino, it all came to about €13 iirc, which is very good value for money.
    Will definitely be returning, I can see it becoming a regular spot for me.

Seeing as I chimed in with a slightly negative review further up the thread, I'll join in for a positive here -

Every meal I've had in Spitjack has been great. As you say, basic enough menu options but great ingredients, well cooked.

The porchetta is delicious and the roast chicken too.

I've also really enjoyed any breakfasts I've had there. Haven't made it in for lunch yet though but would definitely go back.

Won't be rushing back.

ghost burger? how so?

Two bottles of Stonewell would be the guts of 15 quid pretty much everywhere wouldn't it? €12-15 for a burger and chips doesn't strike me as extortionate if they're nice.

The Stonewell were €13 , €6.50 each which I thought was actually reasonable for the city.
    For the burger I got, not being wagyu or anything and just a plain chips, I think €14 is a bit steep.

• Advertisement

sporina wrote: »
    ghost burger? how so?

Ghost chilli sauce.

Time 1 full hour by the time I was seated until I left

This is a bizarre way to describe a wait time.
    How long you take to eat your dinner is completely down to you.

Surely, the time from being seated to getting your food is what is significant??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

brevity wrote: »

My exact experience of the base in Oak fired pizza. Not sure why it's so highly rated here. All personal opinions I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Debub

After hearing about it here, went to Kubo (Douglas) for dinner last night. We live in West Cork an hour n 15 mins drive from Cork, were visiting a child just out of surgery in CUH in the evening so thought that will get dinner in Cork and then head home. Wanted a quickish dinner, bur kids wanted ‘noodles dinner’ so Kubo it was. Walked into Kubo, a few tables were empty but a queue at the till, looked like a takeaway Q. Waited around a bit for someone to talk about a table, but no severs to be seen, so had to ask if we could just sit at any table… somebody did come out and cleaned a table, we got the menu ourselves. Didn’t have much tome so ordered noodle soups for the 2 adults and a kiddie noodles for the 2 kids to share thinking that noodle soup would be the fastest – well it wasn’t, close to an hour of waiting for the food. Food did come out with apologies and that they have been very busy with takeaway orders so ours took too long. Kids were bit cranky as we had already been siting for a while, at least they had the crayons and colouring paper, but had started to fidget a bit. Had to wait for their food to cool down a bit adding to the time (not the restaurants fault of course) but the kids did enjoy the food. We got a Tom Yum and Pho – the Tom Yum was good, the Pho was just about ok, not great. Overall not a great experience – but could have been a bad day, might give it a try again when we have a little time on our hands to have a meal. But I would personally not put takeaway orders as a priority over sitting in diners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Was in SoHo on Saturday for the second half of the match. My Wife called me when she finished her few bits in town and we decided to get nachos and wings in SoHo as it was convenient. My 6 yo daughter had chicken tenders and chips.

The nachos were ordered without onions.
    The nachos were cold and there were loads of onions throughout the plate. The wings were ok and so were the tenders.
    I complained about the nachos and they didn't charge for them. The manager did ask if I wanted another drink on him, to be fair.

I know SoHo isn't a restaurant and the pub grub is exactly that, just pub grub. However, simple things could have made it a good experience instead of a poor one.
    I knew the barman wasn't paying attention when I asked for no onions. In any case, it was a Saturday and it was busy.
    Staff were nice, polite and respectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Went to The Oyster Tavern for the first time for brunch today.
    For some reason, I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised. A nice, unfussy brunch menu, including a burger and fish and chips for those wanting something more lunchy, well executed food, good coffee, a nice space and lovely, efficient staff.
    Good value, too, I thought.

Is it only evenings & weekends?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Has anyone been to Fudi And More in Douglas? Any recommendations?

This is a bizarre way to describe a wait time.
    How long you take to eat your dinner is completely down to you.

Surely, the time from being seated to getting your food is what is significant??

Sorry if I didn't have a good experience in one of your favourite eateries 🙄
    Ok so if we're being pedantic, it took 40 minutes from when I took my seat until my burger and chips hit the table.
    I would hardly complain about a delay that my slow eating was responsible for?
    Anyway 40 minutes is an unacceptable wait for a burger and chips, burger joints are basically somewhere you can pop into on your way to a show or to the cinema because it's notoriously unfussy, low prep food.
    I'll be clearer the next time and maybe use diagrams and crayons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Went to Da Mirco the other day. Had a tagliatelle special with mushrooms, Italian sausage and truffle butter. The pasta was good, but the portion wasn't huge and the price of €17 was a little extreme. I know truffles are expensive, but there wasn't a sliver of truffle to be found, and two of the guys that I was there with went for a burger after.

Service was great, they know their wines. I might be back, but not on a regular basis. I think I'd be happier just going to Italee for a €10 lunch of equally good pasta.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement