Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sorry if I didn't have a good experience in one of your favourite eateries 🙄

I've never been.

Thanks for clarafing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Know its more of a bar thing, but has anybody been into Spyglass ? Same people who were running the sextant up to its closure for redevelopment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭rebelgourmet

BailMeOut wrote: »
    where is the 'best' pizza in Cork City? Something that could compare to a good pie from NYC or even better Naples?

I take the kids on occasional Saturday road trips to La Jolie Brise in Baltimore to get what I think is one of the best pizzas in Ireland but would prefer a shorter drive.

Mobile pizza just launched, currently at Douglas Park Family Park market on Sundays, but expanding to other locations.

https://www.instagram.com/the.seven.heads/

Everything fresh and hand made to order. PS I am the owner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Know its more of a bar thing, but has anybody been into Spyglass ? Same people who were running the sextant up to its closure for redevelopment.

I was in there the weekend before last. Quiet enough on a Saturday afternoon, but it's a good spot. Nice beer on draught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

tailgunner wrote: »
    I was in there the weekend before last. Quiet enough on a Saturday afternoon, but it's a good spot. Nice beer on draught.

Actually met a few friends in there Saturday night , it was busy, bar service was efficient . Decent choice of beers, (no archway which is my pick at the moment) . Nice crowd in there a good mix of people, well worth stopping in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭opus

Didn't realise that House Cafe at the Opera House has been closed since Jan 'til I tried going there for lunch today. Too bad as food was good & was a very handy spot to meet people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Mobile pizza just launched, currently at Douglas Park Family Park market on Sundays, but expanding to other locations.

I'm not a lover of pizza, but my son reckons your's is as good as it gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭.red.

Good luck with the venture, seen similar in other locations and they always seem to do well.
    A simple margarita, done well is one of my favourite things to eat.
    The next Sunday I'm off I'll pop over to Douglas to try it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Miyazaki, Rob Krawczyk and others are doing a charity type dinner at the Raven in a couple of weeks, the food will probably be amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

opus wrote: »
    Didn't realise that House Cafe at the Opera House has been closed since Jan 'til I tried going there for lunch today. Too bad as food was good & was a very handy spot to meet people.
    Eeek, that's a shame, (not that I got in there much)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,183 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Went to spit jacks for sunnday dinner. Was very didappointed to see they have taken their herby roast potatoes from the menu.

I didnt ask why but assume it was probably cause they weren't veggie friendly.
    I loved them,They were one of the best things about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

2 Cork establishments made the "30 best brunches in Ireland" list in this weeks Independent.

Ali's Kitchen in the city and Seasalt in Cobh

https://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/eggs-arent-just-for-easter-30-of-the-best-brunches-in-ireland-38001066.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Was home for the weekend and made it to Iyer’s on Friday night for dinner. I hadn’t been there in a long time, and it was excellent. Lovely onion dosa, uttappam and a special mention for the dahi samosa chaat.

I keep thinking how Dublin should have a place like Iyer’s, but then I remember that it would be packed all the time and I’d never get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭phater phagan

HI all. It's my birthday (please don't ask ) in a few days, when I'm scheduled to be in Cork then; away from family and friends. Would the Oyster Tavern be a good place for a little self-indulgent treat for lunch? Or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭sporina

HI all. It's my birthday (please don't ask ) in a few days, when I'm scheduled to be in Cork then; away from family and friends. Would the Oyster Tavern be a good place for a little self-indulgent treat for lunch? Or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

been to the Oyster Tavern once for dinner - was lovely - not sure about Lunch - it is dark.. i think its better suited to night time eating.. lots of places with nice day light - what are you looking for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

dudara wrote: »

I keep thinking how Dublin should have a place like Iyer’s, but then I remember that it would be packed all the time and I’d never get in.

Iyers often has big queues outside :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It really depends on your tastes. If you are a meat lover, then perhaps market lane (according to others here, idk), otherwise I would suggest good day deli. No lack of options though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Happy birthday! I really like the Oyster Tavern but have only had dinner there. Elbow Lane is great or Orso is very nice too for lunch. Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭Drdenise75

I'd recommend the Farm Gate restaurant in the English market - left at the top of the stairs as opposed to the cafe side - (which is great too but obviously more casual), but if you're looking for a treat and I get the impression you''ll be dining solo? then its a great spot for lunch. You might need to book a table if you choose it as it gets pretty busy.

Crawford Gallery cafe good too of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Thanks to all for your good suggestions. I have a few nice choices. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Thanks to all for your good suggestions. I have a few nice choices. Cheers.

For what it's worth, I quite like the Oyster Tavern - it's a lovely spot upstairs, the food was tasty and the staff were lovely. I went there for brunch one Saturday. It is dark downstairs but I don't recall it being an issue upstairs.

Plenty of good options so should have a good one - happy birthday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

(Dunno if this belongs in here..) thinking of heading out Saturday for a bite to eat and pints to watch the Munster game. Given the weather is predicted to be nice (19-ish, 10% chance of rain) what are the options for a) sitting outside b) eating c) drinking and most importantly d) watching the game? :)

Courtyard on Sober Lane is one option, Deep South is another (don't know anything about their food). Any other options that people know of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

who_me wrote: »
    (Dunno if this belongs in here..) thinking of heading out Saturday for a bite to eat and pints to watch the Munster game. Given the weather is predicted to be nice (19-ish, 10% chance of rain) what are the options for a) sitting outside b) eating c) drinking and most importantly d) watching the game? :)

Courtyard on Sober Lane is one option, Deep South is another (don't know anything about their food). Any other options that people know of?

Sober lane....that's where we are going, get in early, if the weather forecast is right, the gaff will fill up quick.

there were a lot of posts on this a few weeks back - think Deep South was the chosen place in the end

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Is TripAdvisor a true reflection on restaurants in Cork? The top 10 includes many takeaways and pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Balanadan wrote: »
    Is TripAdvisor a true reflection on restaurants in Cork? The top 10 includes many takeaways and pubs.

Yeah sometimes I see strange restaurants in the top 10 on Tripadvisor. At the moment it's...

1- Golden Elephant. Take away and sit down restaurant. Really like it there, great Thai food.

2- Elbow Lane. Fantastic restaurant for steaks especially.

3- Cafe Spresso. Small cafe on Mc Curtain street. No idea why it's on the list. Never been. Nearly all the reviews say "Review collected in partnership with this restaurant". Wonder do you get money off for leaving a review.

4- Haveli. Indian in Douglas, very popular. Can't say I enjoyed it myself but must try again.

5- Paradiso. Veggie restaurant. Fab food. Very highly regarded and popular.

6- South County. Popular bar in Douglas. Never got food there myself. That's 3 places in Douglas in the top 10 so far! I guess a lot of people live there judging by the traffic...

7- Koto. Best Asian street food sort of place in Cork in my opinion.

8- Market Lane. Surprised this isn't higher on the list. One of the best and most popular in Cork city.

9- Liberty Grill. Another popular breakfast, lunch and dinner restaurant. Nice but nothing amazing.

10- Fran Well. Busy pub. They sell great pizza. Very popular with tourists so probably gets lots of reviews from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Balanadan wrote: »

TripAdvisor is never a true reflection on any city. It’s a system that can be, and is, gamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

dudara wrote: »
    TripAdvisor is never a true reflection on any city. It’s a system that can be, and is, gamed.

From experience people will more likely post a bad review on it then a good one for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

From experience people will more likely post a bad review on it then a good one for some reason

Is that true I wonder?

I have 200+ trip advisor reviews over the last 10 years.. i started using it as a memory book almost, to record what I thought of places. I have 8 poor reviews. I give benefit of the doubt most of the time, They REALLY need to piss me off to get a poor one.

And even from reading reviews, most places are generally positive with the odd poor experience or disgruntled person. Some poor reviews are downright unfair, slating a place for being full so they couldn’t eat there for example.

Anyway, just popped over to say I ate in two places over the last month or so that are worth a mention. Perry street cafe in ringaskiddy is a lovely spot. Fast, decent food, good food. I had fish cakes with a salad for lunch.

Also ate in the Grain and grill in the Maldron hotel. Had a steak. Cooked right, nice chips, decent pepper sauce, onion rings, tomatoes and mushrooms too. Tad pricey, it was 28 I think? Hotel prices I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Pretty sure the opposite is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Good to hear the Maldron is decent.

Good to hear the Maldron is decent.

They seem to be working on another restaurant out the back, going through to open some street footage onto Parnell place. The Italian kitchen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Rendezvous yesterday for lunch. Terrible, so bad and overpriced. I was someone's guest so said nothing but they'd of got an earful if it was my bill.

Rendezvous was alway very very expensive I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Yeah sometimes I see strange restaurants in the top 10 on Tripadvisor. At the moment it's...

1- Golden Elephant. Take away and sit down restaurant. Really like it there, great Thai food.

3- Cafe Spresso. Small cafe on Mc Curtain street. No idea why it's on the list. Never been. Nearly all the reviews say "Review collected in partnership with this restaurant". Wonder do you get money off for leaving a review.

4- Haveli. Indian in Douglas, very popular. Can't say I enjoyed it myself but must try again.

6- South County. Popular bar in Douglas. Never got food there myself. That's 3 places in Douglas in the top 10 so far! I guess a lot of people live there judging by the traffic...

8- Market Lane. Surprised this isn't higher on the list. One of the best and most popular in Cork city.

9- Liberty Grill. Another popular breakfast, lunch and dinner restaurant. Nice but nothing amazing.

10- Fran Well. Busy pub. They sell great pizza. Very popular with tourists so probably gets lots of reviews from them.

Jesus, that's a very random list.

Orso? Spitjacks? Cornstore? Rossini's? No idea what they're basing this on, unless it's a matter of getting publicity/hits..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭mrpdap

Orso? Spitjacks? Cornstore? Rossini's? No idea what they're basing this on, unless it's a matter of getting publicity/hits..

I think its based on the reviews, so lots of great reviews will get you to the top whether you’re a chipper or a ‘fine dining’ spot. Tripadvisor ratings don’t really mean very much.

Anyone know what happened in Italee? It's closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

Another victim of high rents across the city, shame.

mccard wrote: »
    Another victim of high rents across the city, shame.

Is that it? Heard from elsewhere it was the ban on driver's coming into the city, decreased footfall. Anything other than rumour?

Loved that place. :(

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    Anyone know what happened in Italee? It's closed down.

had an evening meal there once - we had a fish and a steak main - thee best of quality and only a fraction of the price of other restaurants with similar offerings/standards

such a shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

There was a time it might have been in top 10 but that was years ago,certainly not now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Going to be near Bon Secours hospital tomorrow for lunch. Any recommendations? Not seeing a tonne of places on the Goog. Casual dining with some vegetarian choices would be best, Indian or Asian food good, too. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Igotadose wrote: »
    Going to be near Bon Secours hospital tomorrow for lunch. Any recommendations? Not seeing a tonne of places on the Goog. Casual dining with some vegetarian choices would be best, Indian or Asian food good, too. Thanks.

Probably best off heading into town. College Rd. isn't too far from the city center, you could walk it no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Ramen on Victoria cross, not far walk from the hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

As you can guess from the name Sicilian Delights, are neither Indian or Asian, but it's just around the corner and their gnocchi is excellent. Great value, tiny inside though, so can get quite busy. Noted vegetarian restaurant Cafe Paradiso is really very near as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Cross the river and try Iyers. Walking distance, if dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Lia_lia wrote: »

Cafe Spresso shouldn't realistically be on that list. It'd struggle to make the top 10 of places to eat on MacCurtain Street, let alone the whole City for cripes sake.

It's a cheap and cheerful place. Get a big feed for not an expensive price. So I'm not putting the place down. If you want a standard big full Irish breakfast with tea/coffee then I'd recommend it for sure. If you expect any sort of high quality or gourmet experience it will disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Squatter wrote: »

Cross the river and try Iyers. Walking distance, if dry.

Think you might be confusing the Bons & the Mercy.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Speaking of hospitals I had a hospital appointment on Tuesday. I was a bit early for my appointment so I said I'd try the Coffee Doc in CUH. Just had a latte. I wasn't expecting wonders or anything but it was bad...and I'm no coffee connoisseur. The thing was stone cold. They charged €3.30 for it. That's what I pay for coffee in Nero's, the Bookshelf and The Oliver Plunkett. I know they have a captive audience in the hospital but it was like they weren't even trying.

Speaking of hospitals I had a hospital appointment on Tuesday. I was a bit early for my appointment so I said I'd try the Coffee Doc in CUH. Just had a latte. I wasn't expecting wonders or anything but it was bad...and I'm no coffee connoisseur. The thing was stone cold. They charged €3.30 for it. That's what I pay for coffee in Nero's, the Bookshelf and The Oliver Plunkett. I know they have a captive audience in the hospital but it was like they weren't even trying.

There's a new cafe in CUH now which is much better. Worth a try next time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement