Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

I know eastern tandoori by the opera house had a shoppers lunch special on sturdays 4 courses for 20 odd quid Might be a bit early fot you I think it might be 12 30 to 2 I'm not sure if they re still running it .... http://www.easterntandoori.ie/

The first time I was there I thought the food was excellent (I always eat indian food) Second time was around or after christmas thought it was after going downhill Could be after picking up since then I've only ever gotten the lunch special during the week so the food could be better or worse on the saturday The last time I had a feeling the rice was reheated and food wasn't as tasty as the first time I haven't been back since, too disappointed

Anyway hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

rosie16 wrote: »
    I know eastern tandoori by the opera house had a shoppers lunch special on sturdays 4 courses for 20 odd quid Might be a bit early fot you I think it might be 12 30 to 2 I'm not sure if they re still running it .... http://www.easterntandoori.ie/

The first time I was there I thought the food was excellent (I always eat indian food) Second time was around or after christmas thought it was after going downhill Could be after picking up since then I've only ever gotten the lunch special during the week so the food could be better or worse on the saturday The last time I had a feeling the rice was reheated and food wasn't as tasty as the first time I haven't been back since, too disappointed

Anyway hope this helps :)

Thanks Rosie. Might have a look at the Eastern Tandoori.

Anyone know anything about the place on Pope Street? Iyer's Indian café.

Is it cheap? Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

kraggy wrote: »
    Thanks Rosie. Might have a look at the Eastern Tandoori.

Anyone know anything about the place on Pope Street? Iyer's Indian café.

Is it cheap? Thanks again :)

Iyer's is a vegetarian South Indian cafe.
    I think the food there is amazing and cheap.
    Really nice folk there.
    Only open until 5.30 at the moment.
    Facebook page here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Iyer's is a vegetarian South Indian cafe.
    I think the food there is amazing and cheap.
    Really nice folk there.
    Only open until 5.30 at the moment.
    Facebook page here.

Sounds exactly like what we're looking for. Will pay it a visit and let ye know how it was :)

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

The Eastern Tandoori has gone to pot. It's a shame but best avoided.

The Indian Palace on Princes St is probably the best in the city centre at the moment. Odd that most of the better Indian's are outside the city (ie. Raj Gaylord being the best without a doubt).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Bombay Palace on Cook St is OUTSTANDING, nicest place I have ever been to for Indian food in Cork city.

Went to Eastern Tandoori twice, first time was terrible but second time I had a groupon offer and the food was actually lovely, still though bombay is better.

Never been to Indian Palace but walked past it a few times, does not look very impressive from the outside but after a few good reviews on here I will give it a try :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Anyone tried the new fish bar in Electric?

Malari wrote: »
    Anyone tried the new fish bar in Electric?

I tried it! While the food was lovely and the restaurant is buzzing, the service was sloooow! And meals - mains and sides - all arrived sporadically so it's best not to go in starving. They could have done with an extra waiting staff member, but they were all really relaxed, as were the kitchen staff, who you can see working away behind the counter!

They don't take reservations, so it's just walk-in and if you don't get the middle table you'll be sitting at a bar in a row. Not great if there's more than 2 or 3 people.

I liked it though, I'd definitely go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Interesting wouldn't be too impressed if they took so long with sides and that but we shall have to call in and try. we were talking to some man who worked then have to say he was lvoerly and he said they have 5 types of oysters in there...looking forward to calling in

• Registered Users Posts: 35 verat

Hi, just to let you all know that there's a new Lebanese restaurant in Penrose Warf called Sultan's. It's absolutely amazing. Nice to see different cuisines coming to Cork

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Sounds great! Saves me a trip to Bayswater to eat falafel! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

kraggy wrote: »
    Sounds exactly like what we're looking for. Will pay it a visit and let ye know how it was :)

Thanks.

How'd you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

I used to love Market Lane, but I've found that the portions are getting smaller while the price remains the same. I was there during the week and the piece of hake I got was tiny! The service is good though and the atmosphere is nice.

Can anyone recommend a nice chinese takeaway/restaurant? There's been a lot of talk about Yuan Ming Yuan on this thread, but I passed it the other day and thought it was closed. Rose Garden in Douglas was my favourite but the last time I had it, I was sick afterwards so I'm on the hunt for somewhere new.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Never got market lane myself have to say..Tis nice but nothing memorable. Shame with Rose Garden did you mention it to them or anything.. The worst Chinese has to be the one above the pub in Blackrock by the pier stay well away tis rotten.. Manfu House on the ballinlough road is quite tasty but a little more pricey. Worth it though for no stodge and me thinks you can ask for no msg to be added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

There's a brilliant Chinese restaurant in the Fox and Hounds neighbourhood in Ballyvolane. I'm terrible at names, but think it's called the Golden Palace. Restaurant never seems full, but does a roaring trade in takeaways. The aromatic lamb is WICKED!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Can anyone recommend a nice chinese takeaway/restaurant? There's been a lot of talk about Yuan Ming Yuan on this thread, but I passed it the other day and thought it was closed. Rose Garden in Douglas was my favourite but the last time I had it, I was sick afterwards so I'm on the hunt for somewhere new.

Feck, we were thinking of heading to Yuan Ming Yuan tonight, I'll report back if it's closed. Had a very bad meal in Rose Garden a while back too, hard to find a really good Chinese.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Feck, we were thinking of heading to Yuan Ming Yuan tonight, I'll report back if it's closed. Had a very bad meal in Rose Garden a while back too, hard to find a really good Chinese.

It tends to just look closed because of the way it's designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Faith wrote: »
    It tends to just look closed because of the way it's designed.

Yup, was open last night anyway! Had a lovely meal, cheers to everyone who recommended it, best Chinese I've had in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Can anyone recommend a nice vegan restaurant?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Can anyone recommend a nice vegan restaurant?

Not sure about nice but I think Very Healthy Food on Douglas Street is the only fully vegan food place in Cork. Iyers has, afaik, many vegan dishes and there's also Café Paradiso and Quay Coop doing veggie stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Can anyone recommend a nice chinese takeaway/restaurant? There's been a lot of talk about Yuan Ming Yuan on this thread, but I passed it the other day and thought it was closed.

Pity if Yuan Ming Yuan is closed. I actually like Panda Mama as a generic Chinese restaurant.

dudara wrote: »
    Pity if Yuan Ming Yuan is closed. I actually like Panda Mama as a generic Chinese restaurant.

It's not closed, they just have the window blinds pulled all the time, so it sort of looks that way. :)

I see the Boqueria is closed for renovations though: http://boqueria.ie/ with no opening date. Hope that's not an ominous sign. :(

Malari wrote: »
    I see the Boqueria is closed for renovations though: http://boqueria.ie/ with no opening date. Hope that's not an ominous sign. :(

It won't be reopening and it's for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Can anyone recommend a nice chinese takeaway/restaurant?

I'd highly recommend Panda Mama (AMAZING !!) I would recommend booking a table though especially at weekends.

evilivor wrote: »

Bummer :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

evilivor wrote: »

I am sad to see this, yet not very surprising. They kept changing the menu. You'd eat a lovely dish there, but when you'd return the next time, it would be gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I used to love Market Lane, but I've found that the portions are getting smaller while the price remains the same. I was there during the week and the piece of hake I got was tiny! The service is good though and the atmosphere is nice.

Just back from market lane, got the hake and I couldn't finish it, too large for me. I really hate a huge mountain of food though. Find it very wasteful to chuck food away, and don't like eating for the sake of clearing my plate when I have had enough. I think it is firmly aimed at women with the portion sizing.

Yuan ming yuan just looks closed with their shop front design I'd say. Blinds down all the time, you can't see in.

dudara wrote: »
    I am sad to see this, yet not very surprising. They kept changing the menu. You'd eat a lovely dish there, but when you'd return the next time, it would be gone.

It as the same with the staff - someone nice, friendly and efficient one time and a total ass the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭sporina

pwurple wrote: »
    Just back from market lane, got the hake and I couldn't finish it, too large for me. I really hate a huge mountain of food though. Find it very wasteful to chuck food away, and don't like eating for the sake of clearing my plate when I have had enough. I think it is firmly aimed at women with the portion sizing.

Yuan ming yuan just looks closed with their shop front design I'd say. Blinds down all the time, you can't see in.

quite confused by the above,,

anyway, yeah I have been to Market lane a few times… the food is good but 1. the restaurant is too noisy and I feel that you have to leave as soon as you stop eating..- kind of conveyor belt restaurant.. and 2. I brought friends there and their meal was so small, I was embarrassed. The main was like a starter. I had recommended the place - and they were starving and visitors to the city. And gender is irrelevant when it comes to dining out (unless religion dictates segregation of sexes etc).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

sporina wrote: »
    quite confused by the above,,

anyway, yeah I have been to Market lane a few times… the food is good but 1. the restaurant is too noisy and I feel that you have to leave as soon as you stop eating..- kind of conveyor belt restaurant.. and 2. I brought friends there and their meal was so small, I was embarrassed. The main was like a starter. I had recommended the place - and they were starving and visitors to the city. And gender is irrelevant when it comes to dining out (unless religion dictates segregation of sexes etc).

Women eat less. You know.... the 2000 cal vs 2500 cal per day thing? I brought visitors to the city there too. Vancouverites. (aka health nuts) Market lane was just the right size portions for us. One of them just got a starter size salad as a main and declared herself stuffed. I know it's not for everyone, it is not big portions, I agree, but I think they are catering to a specific market rather than trying to rip anyone off. 6ft GAA playing man-mountains are going to be hungrier than the 5ft figure-consious women.

Downstairs is noisy alright as the kitchen is right there on top of you, upstairs is quieter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement