Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Dbu wrote: »
    Just noticed that burnt looks like its closed. Windows all painted up.

Wow that's a surprise .... They always seemed busy when I passed

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Dbu wrote: »
    Just noticed that burnt looks like its closed. Windows all painted up.

Closed for a few days getting one of those authentic naples ovens installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

rob316 wrote: »
    Closed for a few days getting one of those authentic naples ovens installed.

I thought they had the proper wood burning stove when they opened not that long ago. the company I work for have done some business with them, they certainly made a big enough deal about having a second oven for gluten free pizzas. IMO, Oakfire across the street has better pizzas, though the ambiance is a bit basic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Raven had a couple of options when I was there recently, Orso will usually have something or come up with something. Vegan options on all courses on the set menu in Jacob's iirc, but it's over a year since I've been. Pigalle is great apparently, I haven't tried it.

Popped into the Raven on Saturday evening with the intention of having a quick bite but didn't like the atmosphere, the staff were a bit standoffish and the music far too loud. The food's pretty OK but there's something missing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi - in Cork city and looking for a good (authentic) Chinese dinner apart from Yuan Ming Yuan please - thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Debub wrote: »
    Hi - in Cork city and looking for a good (authentic) Chinese dinner apart from Yuan Ming Yuan please - thanks

Why bother?

Yuan Ming Yuan is one of the best in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

I miss the ambassador.....
    A few beers followed by dinner there was always a treat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

limnam wrote: »
    Why bother?

Yuan Ming Yuan is one of the best in the country.

Not any more.
    They changed their chef - food isn't a patch on what it used to be.

Soba express on Carey's Lane are doing some very good Asian food at the moment. Great soup noodles.

The Chinese supermarket off Corn Market Street (Dalton's Avenue) has a restaurant now. It's a pretty odd set up and I'm in two minds about the quality of the food but is worth a look if you fancy something a bit strange.

Kaya's Asian Bites on Paul Street are doing some fairly authentic Malaysian dishes but have started to pander to local tastes and seems to be going a little downhill. Still worth a try.

Not any more.

Ah, Do you know when that happened?

I'm trying to see if I noticed any difference but it's been awhile since I was there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

Not any more.

Soba express on Carey's Lane are doing some very good Asian food at the moment. Great soup noodles.

The Chinese supermarket off Corn Market Street (Dalton's Avenue) has a restaurant now. It's a pretty odd set up and I'm in two minds about the quality of the food but is worth a look if you fancy something a bit strange.

Kaya's Asian Bites on Paul Street are doing some fairly authentic Malaysian dishes but have started to pander to local tastes and seems to be going a little downhill. Still worth a try.

my brother loves Kaya's Asian Bites and he is quite a foodie

• Advertisement

Ah, Do you know when that happened?

I'm trying to see if I noticed any difference but it's been awhile since I was there

Around two years ago, I think.
    We kept noticing small differences in the food and regularly commented on it to the staff.
    Eventually, we were told that the chef had changed and was doing some things differently.

We just stopped going after eating there regularly for about 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Debub

We did eventually go to YMY, 2 adults 2 kids, had a big soup to share and few dimsum baskets. Whatever we had was really good and the service is still great (2 faces that we still recognised). Maybe will have to try a few main dishes to see if quality has dropped, but based on last nights experience - we enjoyed the meal (I do love their chilli oil still)

We like both Soba and Koto, yet to try Kaya, next time

Around two years ago, I think.
    We kept noticing small differences in the food and regularly commented on it to the staff.
    Eventually, we were told that the chef had changed and was doing some things differently.

We just stopped going after eating there regularly for about 10 years.

Interesting,

I've definitely been a few times in that time and didn't really notice anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Speaking of Asian food but the White Lady Hotel in Kinsale has some of the best Asian food you will get in Cork. They have staff from Malaysia and some superb and very authentic dishes and very popular with the locals. Well worth checking out if venturing out further from town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Was talking to a Chinese colleague about food recently and when I mentioned YMY as being apparently a very good Chinese restaraunt, she was far from impressed. Awful she said and not a patch on some places in Dublin. Nothing authentic about it at all. She has been in Cork about 7 years now and was necver impresses with it.

Ludo wrote: »
    Was talking to a Chinese colleague about food recently and when I mentioned YMY as being apparently a very good Chinese restaraunt, she was far from impressed. Awful she said and not a patch on some places in Dublin. Nothing authentic about it at all. She has been in Cork about 7 years now and was necver impresses with it.

Strange.

As I can't recall been in there and not seeing plenty of Chinese people eating.

Strange.

As I can't recall been in there and not seeing plenty of Chinese people eating.

It's a pretty big assumption to make that all Chinese people have good taste in food.

It's a pretty big assumption to make that all Chinese people have good taste in food.

Of course.

I'm just saying it would be very odd for a Chinese restaurant to have a steady stream of Chinese regulars in a restaurant that was poor.

That and I happen to know the food is good there.

It's probably a slightly better combination than 1 person said it's not great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Sorry off topic, but does anyone know anywhere in the city they will be doing Patrick’s day theme cocktails?

Anyone know where I can get a grasshopper or aero mint/ baileys mint martini?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

This is actually a great point because you can also look at it from the perspective that perhaps Ludo's friend is the one with shít taste in food :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

D'Agger wrote: »
    This is actually a great point because you can also look at it from the perspective that perhaps Ludo's friend is the one with shít taste in food :D

That is very possibly the case. It was mentioned though that the food there it is not authentic in anyway. That is more the point than the quality of food. I would be more of the opinion that seeing Chinese people there does not necessarily mean it is a good Chinese restaraunt.
    I have been to plenty of **** Irish pubs and restaraunts for example. Some many times. Go to any Irish pub abroad and you will generally meet Irish people. Doesn't mean it is a good place.

Ludo wrote: »
    That is very possibly the case. It was mentioned though that the food there it is not authentic in anyway. That is more the point than the quality of food. I would be more of the opinion that seeing Chinese people there does not necessarily mean it is a good Chinese restaraunt.
    I have been to plenty of **** Irish pubs and restaraunts for example. Some many times. Go to any Irish pub abroad and you will generally meet Irish people. Doesn't mean it is a good place.

Mrs Beer and I pretty much always ate off the Dim Sum menu and found that to be "authentic" but the Dim Sum changed and not to our liking.
    Anything we did try off their regular menu was very much Westernised Chinese food, we thought - better than your average Irish Chinese, alright.

Regarding Chinese people and food; my mother-in-law is of Chinese extraction and people often assume that my wife grew up eating great Chinese food. The truth is that her mother is a terrible cook and isn't really interested in food at all.
    People make the same assumption about French people but, apart from a few notable exceptions, most of the French people I know aren't good cooks at all and don't really know much about food.

Sorry for going so off topic:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Speaking of Asian food but the White Lady Hotel in Kinsale has some of the best Asian food you will get in Cork. They have staff from Malaysia and some superb and very authentic dishes and very popular with the locals. Well worth checking out if venturing out further from town.

Seconded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

fin12 wrote: »
    Sorry off topic, but does anyone know anywhere in the city they will be doing Patrick’s day theme cocktails?

The Glen Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

sporina wrote: »
    my brother loves Kaya's Asian Bites and he is quite a foodie

Can't believe people are recommending this place. Went there with the missus and got the seafood noodle thing. 90% of the seafood was fake plastic bits of maula. Felt like eating an eraser. The broth had those pink fish sticks and other plastic things I didn't recognize. Think the only bit of actual fish were the two prawns and the fish flavoured water everything was floating in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Slightly off topic but....
    Does the fish wife on Mac Curtain street have seating?
    I'd assume it does but the delivery across to the shelbourne has me wondering.
    I've the kids promised a fish n chips today after the Everyman.

.red. wrote: »

Not as such.
    There's a shelf where, if quiet, 2 or 3 people could eat.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

It's tiny...I think there was an old garden table with 2 or 3 seats outside before but I might be getting it mixed up with the bakery/cafe nearby

It's tiny...I think there was an old garden table with 2 or 3 seats outside before but I might be getting it mixed up with the bakery/cafe nearby

Cheers lads, that's what I was thinking. Probably just head up to the Grand Parade so

Hey Slim....Is Poot still selling shoes?

fin12 wrote: »

Barbarella on Barrack St are doing them - with creme de menthe etc..

• Advertisement

Cheers lads, that's what I was thinking. Probably just head up to the Grand Parade so

Hey Slim....Is Poot still selling shoes?

:D

anyone been to Caffe Nero on OP street recently and noticed a really bad smell? drains I think - it puts me off going there.. mentioned it to a staff member months ago - went back yday to see if it has been resolved and nope, its still there.. but the loo down the back is closed... (the smell was worst there - bad drain smell as oppose to anything else)...
    Just strange that they have not resolved it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

sporina wrote: »
    anyone been to Caffe Nero on OP street recently and noticed a really bad smell? drains I think - it puts me off going there.. mentioned it to a staff member months ago - went back yday to see if it has been resolved and nope, its still there.. but the loo down the back is closed... (the smell was worst there - bad drain smell as oppose to anything else)...
    Just strange that they have not resolved it..

And often lots of small flies around the place. Not attractive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭fulanoquetal

I wanted to go out for some dinner last night so was browsing menus from home in the afternoon to see what was appealing. Settled on Elbow Lane. Their site VERY CLEARLY states, No Bookings Taken, Walk-ins only. Got there, waited at the door to be seated as per the sign. Other coouple comes in behind us and says they have a table booked and so get seated. WTF ?....I was disappointed not to be able to eat at my first choice and admit that you take your chances to some degree on a Saturday night but WHY TAKE BOOKINGS IF YOUR WEBSITE SAYS EXLPICITLY THAT YOU DON"T ??. Either amend the damn website or do what you say.
    Rant Over.

I wanted to go out for some dinner last night so was browsing menus from home in the afternoon to see what was appealing. Settled on Elbow Lane. Their site VERY CLEARLY states, No Bookings Taken, Walk-ins only. Got there, waited at the door to be seated as per the sign. Other coouple comes in behind us and says they have a table booked and so get seated. WTF ?....I was disappointed not to be able to eat at my first choice and admit that you take your chances to some degree on a Saturday night but WHY TAKE BOOKINGS IF YOUR WEBSITE SAYS EXLPICITLY THAT YOU DON"T ??. Either amend the damn website or do what you say.
    Rant Over.

They take bookings if you walk in, I.e you arrive at 7 the place is full, they add you to the list, take your number and send you off for a pot with an estimated time of seating.

They take bookings if you walk in, I.e you arrive at 7 the place is full, they add you to the list, take your number and send you off for a pot with an estimated time of seating.

Correct...they do operate a waitlist but last night it distinctly looked like they were taking bookings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭mrpdap

I’m fairly sure that you can take your fish n chips across the road to The Shelbourne Bar and eat there with a pint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Correct...they do operate a waitlist but last night it distinctly looked like they were taking bookings.

Nope, you're wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They like market lane don't take bookings, walk in only. Only exception is for parties of 6 or more.

mrpdap wrote: »
    I’m fairly sure that you can take your fish n chips across the road to The Shelbourne Bar and eat there with a pint

Only, outside, though.
    Cork Arms will let you take the food into the bar.

• Advertisement

mrpdap wrote: »

We ended up going to the grand parade as I didn't want to be bringing the kids into a city centre bar on a Saturday afternoon, especially as I wasn't gonna have a drink.
    The kids got the fish goujons I had the burger. Kids devoured the fish and my burger was as good as the last time.
    2 patties, 2 slices of smoked cheese and 2 slices of bacon and a portion of real chips for €9.50. I'd rather that again over son of a bun any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Very unlikely. I dine there pretty much every week, and have never seen people come in with a booking.

If it's very quiet, they might try to be helpful to people walking in by getting a seating at a given time. (i.e. instead of "I'll call you when the next table comes up" they might say "I'll try to call you around the time you like")

But it's still walk-ins only. Most likely the other couple were just an earlier 'walk in' returning when called.

who_me wrote: »
    Very unlikely. I dine there pretty much every week, and have never seen people come in with a booking.

If it's very quiet, they might try to be helpful to people walking in by getting a seating at a given time. (i.e. instead of "I'll call you when the next table comes up" they might say "I'll try to call you around the time you like")

But it's still walk-ins only. Most likely the other couple were just an earlier 'walk in' returning when called.

That could be it....I'm probabluy being too harsh on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

Can I ask a stupid question... did you not ask the people working in the restaurant about their booking system if it upset you that much? would have been nipped in the bud

I've not eaten there yet, been meaning to go there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Yeah, it's a great spot, but busy almost every weekend. If you want to walk in and get a seat right away, you probably have to be in there before 5:30 on a Saturday (sometimes it's full by 5:10) or you might get very lucky. Otherwise, Sunday is usually quieter.

It's the only restaurant in Cork where I've seen people queueing for it to open!

who_me wrote: »

It's the only restaurant in Cork where I've seen people queueing for it to open!

Iyer's often has a queue waiting for it to open at 6.

Can I ask a stupid question... did you not ask the people working in the restaurant about their booking system if it upset you that much? would have been nipped in the bud

I've not eaten there yet, been meaning to go there

It was one of those days...pouring rain, truculent wife, hangry....tried to ask the girl at the door but she had to take people to a table....will get there some day.

rob316 wrote: »
    They like market lane don't take bookings, walk in only. Only exception is for parties of 6 or more.

I thought it was only elbow lane that you couldn't book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

I thought it was only elbow lane that you couldn't book.

You can't book at any of the restaurants in that chain. Market Lane, Elbow Lane, Orso's, the place at Blackrock castle, and the new one they have across the way in Oliver Plunkett St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Iyer's often has a queue waiting for it to open at 6.

Liberty Grill has queues regularly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement