Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

You can't book at any of the restaurants in that chain. Market Lane, Elbow Lane, Orso's, the place at Blackrock castle, and the new one they have across the way in Oliver Plunkett St.

Might be a method to it.

Can't remember the last time I managed to get into elbow lane or orso's :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You can't book at any of the restaurants in that chain. Market Lane, Elbow Lane, Orso's, the place at Blackrock castle, and the new one they have across the way in Oliver Plunkett St.

You can in a group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

pwurple wrote: »
    You can in a group.

Yes. 6 or more IIRC. And I think a deposit is required. For smaller, you have to wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes. 6 or more IIRC. And I think a deposit is required. For smaller, you have to wait.

No, 2+ people can defo book in the Castle Cafe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Ate in Market lane during the week for the first time in ages and it was really enjoyable, the portion and quality of their bread and butter pudding was impressive after the chicken dish which was different but well cooked and delicious.

Had brunch in Salt yesterday and decided to not go for the Kiwi brunch for once - had the Parley breakfast (may be spelling that incorrectly as I don't see it on their menu) - butternut squash, chickpeas, tomato, egg and cheese - served like a lasagne almost, absolutely brilliant. Banana and chocolate muffin with a coffee went down well after too.....clearly the sweet tooth has been out in force this week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭sporina

on a slightly different note, are people avoiding going out in groups to restaurants?
    they were talking about this on Newstalk earlier - lots of restaurants are being hit heavily with cancellations..

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Micko99

sporina wrote: »
    on a slightly different note, are people avoiding going out in groups to restaurants?
    they were talking about this on Newstalk earlier - lots of restaurants are being hit heavily with cancellations..

Its taking a bit of a chance eating out in current circumstances. The potential for spread of the virus is much greater in enclosed spaces so I for one will be avoiding bars and restaurants if at all necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Heading down to cork this weekend, Sunday to Tuesday. Looking for a good Italian to eat in, not necessarily fine dining. Have eaten in Gallo and Galletti twice and really liked it but want a change this town round. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Heading down to cork this weekend, Sunday to Tuesday. Looking for a good Italian to eat in, not necessarily fine dining. Have eaten in Gallo and Galletti twice and really liked it but want a change this town round. Thanks.

Da Mirco on Bridge Street is excellent. The menu changes frequently so might be worth checking Facebook or the website.

I have a feeling they don't open Mondays too, so just to factor that in if you're only here for a few days.

Da Mirco on Bridge Street is excellent. The menu changes frequently so might be worth checking Facebook or the website.

I have a feeling they don't open Mondays too, so just to factor that in if you're only here for a few days.

Yeah I just see closed Sunday and Mondays. Anywhere else??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

La Dolce Vita on Probys Quay is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Rossini's on Princes Street is great. Also havent been to Bocelli on Maylor street but maybe worth a look

Will pick one of these and try it. Thank you.

Is La dolce Vita closed?? Can’t find much about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Be right back

Will pick one of these and try it. Thank you.

Is La dolce Vita closed?? Can’t find much about it.

I'm sure that it has closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭poitinstill

I'm sure that it has closed.[/QUOTE]
    the location would get very little foot fall id say only those going to look at the big church nearby (St finbarres)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

sporina wrote: »

Ya lots of people I know are canceling nights out. Heard both Liberty Grill and Reardons are closing for a couple of weeks.

I was meant to be going to Glass Curtain this weekend and they rang yesterday to see if we were still coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭sporina

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Ya lots of people I know are canceling nights out. Heard both Liberty Grill and Reardons are closing for a couple of weeks.

I was meant to be going to Glass Curtain this weekend and they rang yesterday to see if we were still coming.

we cancelled our meal - some have colds (not covid) - some work in hospitals.. so we feel a sense of responsibility - much and all as we would like to hook up as planned (we miss out as does the restaurant - no winners)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I'm sure that it has closed.

Permanently shut down?

Permanently shut down?

I believe so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Yeh that's been gone for months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭ofcork

I see owner of Idaho on twitter showing a warning letter from the council because he put seats outside!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

ofcork wrote: »
    I see owner of Idaho on twitter showing a warning letter from the council because he put seats outside!!

That street is closed to cars at that time, so those are no impediment to those with mobility issues. So many problems in this city, and they spend their time attacking the fragile vibrancy that does exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

bingo9999 wrote: »
    That street is closed to cars at that time, so those are no impediment to those with mobility issues. So many problems in this city, and they spend their time attacking the fragile vibrancy that does exist.

There was a lot of billoxology in that post.
    Firstly, the letter was dated 4 days before that post - a lot changed in that time.
    The letter never claimed that he was blocking anyone.
    Basically he didn't bother paying his annual charge for outdoor seating (charges that his competitors pay) and got the hump at getting a letter from the council.

If I get a ticket for not paying my motor tax, should I go online screaming about the virus?

There was a lot of billoxology in that post.
    Firstly, the letter was dated 4 days before that post - a lot changed in that time.
    The letter never claimed that he was blocking anyone.
    Basically he didn't bother paying his annual charge for outdoor seating (charges that his competitors pay) and got the hump at getting a letter from the council.

If I get a ticket for not paying my motor tax, should I go online screaming about the virus?

It says on the letter he didn't have permission to have seating on the street. Just apply and get? One rule for him?

It says on the letter he didn't have permission to have seating on the street. Just apply and get? One rule for him?

He has permission between 11 and 5 or something. The issue was that he hadn't paid his annual fee but was continuing to use the outdoor space.

I have no doubt that his failure to pay happened well before this crisis but where would the story be in that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gourmet Burger Bistro gone into liquidation.

rob316 wrote: »

That's a shame. They probably struggled with son of a bun just around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Gourmet Burger Bistro was over priced i thought , but Bun around the corner would have certainly trounced them in competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

rob316 wrote: »

Ah that's a shame. I used to go there a lot when I was in college. Had a soft spot for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Burty330 wrote: »
    Gourmet Burger Bistro was over priced i thought , but Bun around the corner would have certainly trounced them in competition.

I disagree on both counts. The burgers were reasonably priced but the desserts were sometimes on the basic side.

Son of a Bun was great when it first opened, and we ate there quite a bit. The last time was a disappointment. We ordered and asked for a side of wings to take out as it was Super Bowl Sunday and wanted some nibbles for the game.

The order came - ALL of it. Starters, mains and the take out just deposited on the table. I asked for the take out to kept behind until we left. OK - annoying but no problem. We had barely taken a bite of the started, when the waitress appeared and asked if everything was all right. Fine we say.

Halfway through the meal, the waitress again appears with the bill!! We hadn't even finished the dinner. By this time, I was so annoyed, I paid the bill, got the takeout and left.

I know there's pressure to turn the tables over quickly, but this should not be to the extent of trying to give customers indigestion and was taking the living p1ss.

She got no tip, and we haven't eaten there since. At least the Gourmet Burger didn't try to hustle you out before even finishing your meal!! It's a shame it's closed, is all I can say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

They did great burgers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Gourmet Burger Bistro was lovely but it was incredibly cramped in there. Everyone was on top of each other and wasn't very comfortable

Son Of A Bun is nice but quite overpriced.

siblers wrote: »
    Gourmet Burger Bistro was lovely but it was incredibly cramped in there. Everyone was on top of each other and wasn't very comfortable

Son Of A Bun is nice but quite overpriced.

Have to say I never ate in the gourmet burger bistro but son of a bun is incredibly packed also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It was never really my favourite burger place ,but my brother loved it ... Sad for everyone involved..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Had a savage takeaway from Murphy's last night. They've closed the doors now and they're serving through the window which is ideal really, very easy to keep well away from anyone else waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Had a savage takeaway from Murphy's last night. They've closed the doors now and they're serving through the window which is ideal really, very easy to keep well away from anyone else waiting.

Where is Murphy's?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

happyday wrote: »
    Where is Murphy's?

Just off Cathedral road on way towards the Neptune

I imagine not many places will say open to do takeaways now. It would be pretty lousy to keep staff working and at risk on minimum wage when they can get €350 a week if they're let go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭Harika

Docklands offer take away menu, you order until Friday evening and get food on Saturday

Has anybody ever tried a place called "Charcoal Grill" on justeat? Apparently they're on popes quay, but I think it might have something to do with the Indian that's down there.

They seem to serve a million different quisines.

Anyway I'm interested in their steal ciabatta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Has anybody ever tried a place called "Charcoal Grill" on justeat? Apparently they're on popes quay, but I think it might have something to do with the Indian that's down there.

They seem to serve a million different quisines.

Anyway I'm interested in their steal ciabatta.

Is that not the place on Washington St beside lavish?

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Is that not the place on Washington St beside lavish?

No that's called "Ignite Charcoal Grill".

This one is simply "Charcoal Grill".

https://www.just-eat.ie/restaurants-thecharcoalgrill-cork

No that's called "Ignite Charcoal Grill".

This one is simply "Charcoal Grill".

https://www.just-eat.ie/restaurants-thecharcoalgrill-cork

Charcoal grill on Popes Quay is gone.
    Perhaps the take away next door (rooster pil pil?) is still carrying the charcoal grill menu?

Charcoal grill on Popes Quay is gone.
    Perhaps the take away next door (rooster pil pil?) is still carrying the charcoal grill menu?

It's the place that went in to the old charcoal grill premises. For some reason still going by the name charcoal grill on just eat and deliveroo but no where else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭Drdenise75

The Glass Curtain doing takeaway at the weekends from this weekend. Set 2 course menu different each night Fri-Sun (also veggie option but that's the same all 3 nights) €40 for dinner for 2 people (veggie cheaper). Also selling beer/wine from their menu. Details on their website. Seems you get the food mostly prepared (cold) and then there's a little bit to do yourself when you get it home to finish/heat etc. I'm going to give it a go on Saturday - loved their food when got to eat there before COVID19 came along...

Miyazaki started take away only service too Thurs-Sun a couple weeks ago I think. Specials/menu on their facebook page each day of service. Both are phone beforehand to order, pick up at set time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

KC's in Douglas are doing click & collect on their website. Select a time and they'll call you when you can come to their door to pick it up.

It's a bit manic with it being their first day back open, but the few teething problems will be sorted I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

KC's in Douglas are doing click & collect on their website. Select a time and they'll call you when you can come to their door to pick it up.

It's a bit manic with it being their first day back open, but the few teething problems will be sorted I'm sure.

Paddy waggon keeping an eye on things just now. There must have been 40 people between both sides of the road so regular pedestrians have no room to distance along that stretch. Why can't people say in their cars??

Paddy waggon keeping an eye on things just now. There must have been 40 people between both sides of the road so regular pedestrians have no room to distance along that stretch. Why can't people say in their cars??

Yeah, saw them having to break up about about 6 lads stuck together earlier this afternoon. Dopes like.

This is why we can't have nice things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,183 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

KCs website has stated they have been told to cease the click and collect because of the foot traffic.

Ffs Was gonna have a weekend treat :(

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    KCs website has stated they have been told to cease the click and collect because of the foot traffic.

Ffs Was gonna have a weekend treat :(

Called it yesterday, it was never gonna be feasible unfortunately. Too many people piling up outside the store. They should look into doing deliveries only with Deliveroo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement