Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    KCs website has stated they have been told to cease the click and collect because of the foot traffic.

Ffs Was gonna have a weekend treat :(

I really feel for businesses that try to do the right thing and still do business but are let down by their stupid, stupid customers.

Burritos and blues tried and failed to do takeaway only.

As did Murphy's chipper.

But unfortunately people are too feckin stupid to queue and maintain social distancing.
    Tough on businesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Its really disheartening. All we want to do is support these people and idiots have to ruin it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Be right back

I saw another company was asking for car registration numbers and then staff were bringing food and placing it into the car boot. Maybe something like that could work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Called it yesterday, it was never gonna be feasible unfortunately. Too many people piling up outside the store. They should look into doing deliveries only with Deliveroo.

Everything should be moving to delivery only, IMO.

Safer for restaurant/shop staff. Safer for customers. And could give work to couriers/taxi-drivers who need the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

who_me wrote: »
    Everything should be moving to delivery only, IMO.

Safer for restaurant/shop staff. Safer for customers. And could give work to couriers/taxi-drivers who need the money.

Apart from very rare circumstances, people should either eat at home or get delivery. A place that is open for collection only encourages people to leave their house, to get out for a bit, we should stay at home as much as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I don't think I would trust a delivery person who has knocked on how many doors and delivered to loads of houses every day bringing me food to be honest. A well run pick-up service seems a safer option to me. The staff can be protected like shop staff are. As long as customers can be easily isolated from each other also, I don't really see a problem. Obviously thisis an issue for very popular restaraunts though so would not work for all places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

So people were queuing outside before they got the call? Surely those people knew their actions would lead to the place closing up again.

I doubt they will come up with a solution. The crowds they attract are just too big and even bigger now that everybody's at home. Groups of youths go there just for something to do on top of it.

Im sure they evaluated the logistics of a delivery service many times and came to the conclusion it wouldn't work for some reason or another.

That tiny little hut they have wouldn't make it a very smooth operation.

A second premises would have quelled those long ques years ago. Maybe this situation will give them the imputes to open up another shop. If Dino's can have multiple units , why can't KCs have at least two..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭ThePott

I don't know if this is related to it but I know there was a massive delay with getting the orders out on time or at least friend of my brother ordered for around 5 and didn't get it till 7. So maybe that was why people were hanging around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

BruteStock wrote: »
    So people were queuing outside before they got the call? Surely those people knew their actions would lead to the place closing up again.

I doubt they will come up with a solution. The crowds they attract are just too big and even bigger now that everybody's at home. Groups of youths go there just for something to do on top of it.

Im sure they evaluated the logistics of a delivery service many times and came to the conclusion it wouldn't work for some reason or another.

That tiny little hut they have wouldn't make it a very smooth operation.

A second premises would have quelled those long ques years ago. Maybe this situation will give them the imputes to open up another shop. If Dino's can have multiple units , why can't KCs have at least two..
    Dunno - will take away somewhat from what is "KC's in Douglas" if you know what I mean. Also, are they non-profit (or on those lines) ? I thought they were a non-profit crowd of some description. Religion is in my head for some reason.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Once you go into having multiple outlets, even two, one is going into having a whole different level of management and a different financial model. Many owners wouldn't want to go that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

I really feel for businesses that try to do the right thing and still do business but are let down by their stupid, stupid customers.

Burritos and blues tried and failed to do takeaway only.

As did Murphy's chipper.

But unfortunately people are too feckin stupid to queue and maintain social distancing.
    Tough on businesses.
    why don't they deliver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Has anyone the financials on delivery, cost of each drop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Icepick wrote: »
    why don't they deliver?

With their fleet of vans is it?
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

pwurple wrote: »

That's where third party delivery firms like Deliveroo, Uber Eats and JUSTeat come in. Albeit costly to the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

cadaliac wrote: »
    Dunno - will take away somewhat from what is "KC's in Douglas" if you know what I mean. Also, are they non-profit (or on those lines) ? I thought they were a non-profit crowd of some description. Religion is in my head for some reason.....

That family are millionaires. Plenty of profit from it through the years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

some restaurants are still doing take out for collection - why is it working for some and not others? mate got one from golden elephant the other night and see others advertising on fb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Got takeaway delivery from O'Reilly's Fish & Chips in Glanmire, burger and fish highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Just got a Chinese takeout an hour ago. They rang when it was ready and I came in from waiting in car to collect. Been doing it every Friday evening. Very well organised. Screens up to protect staff and they are wearing cloves and masks. It is the one weekly piece or normality we have at the moment so we are keeping it up.
    I can see why KCs wouldn't work though. Simply too popular and age demographic of customers doesn't lend itself too much to common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Be right back

Harika wrote: »
    Got takeaway delivery from O'Reilly's Fish & Chips in Glanmire, burger and fish highly recommended.

Where are they in Glanmire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Where are they in Glanmire?

Next to lidl

• Advertisement

Is it just the Glanmire O'Reilly's doing takeaway does anyone know.

ThePott wrote: »
    Is it just the Glanmire O'Reilly's doing takeaway does anyone know.

Barrack Street outlet appears to be closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The one in the texaco garage in Bishopstown is open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

pwurple wrote: »
    Deliveroo, justeat...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Curious to try the pizzas that they've started to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Tried their barrack street outlet twice now. Desperate fish and chips for a place with the word "fish" in their name. Just a massive ball of grease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Can’t stand the food here. All grease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Can’t stand the food here. All grease

I know yeah, it would make you sick

Anyway, ordered West Cork Burger, the burger was a mess and the chips were overcooked and were all small ones like you'd get at the end of the bag. Won't be ordering off them anytime soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

siblers wrote: »
    I know yeah, it would make you sick

Anyway, ordered West Cork Burger, the burger was a mess and the chips were overcooked and were all small ones like you'd get at the end of the bag. Won't be ordering off them anytime soon

Ah, I got a takeaway from them last week that was absolutely savage, chips were unreal. It was my first time trying them, I'd normally go to Sober Lane or Son of a Bun if I fancied a good burger

Also got WCB last weekend, wasn't too impressed at all either tbh.

• Advertisement

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Ah, I got a takeaway from them last week that was absolutely savage, chips were unreal. It was my first time trying them, I'd normally go to Sober Lane or Son of a Bun if I fancied a good burger

Its my 4th time, first time was time was unreal but has gotten worse every time since. Its very expensive for what you get.

siblers wrote: »
    Its my 4th time, first time was time was unreal but has gotten worse every time since. Its very expensive for what you get.

Yeah I agree it's expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

We got Koto this evening and it was gorgeous. Rang up and placed the order, and then just had to turn up at a specific time to pick it up. No problems social distancing - they have set up the lobby almost like a hatch where you pay and pick up your food. Contactless payments only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

What takeaways are open in and around Douglas please?

ThePott wrote: »
    Also got WCB last weekend, wasn't too impressed at all either tbh.

It's seriously overpriced for what you get in return. Wouldn't bother again.

happyday wrote: »

KCs re-opened but had to close shortly after due to breach of social distancing. They need to set up a delivery service

Roosters still open I think and O'Sullivan'spub have a take away menu

Golden Fry still open but you need to queue on the street before you order so you could be queuing a while

Most of the others are on Just Eat etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Alex86Eire

happyday wrote: »

Majority of them are except KCs, KFC and McDonalds obviously.
    Just to add Ramen and Golden Thai to the list above

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    Just to add Ramen and Golden Thai to the list above

Add to the list of closed outlets or open outlets?

Add to the list of closed outlets or open outlets?

Both are open. Coriander Indian is too.

• Advertisement

Not in Douglas but Wilton Willow deliver to Douglas. Very good value and big portions. They give free cans of coke too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

They might have changed their packaging standards now , but the last time I ordered WCB - the bag was delivered wide open. As in , the delivery man could have reached in and eat chips out of the bag if he felt like it.

That happened twice and I never ordered from there again. No loss as it was way over priced anyway. Although the food tasted pretty good at the time , which was about a year ago.

Had oreillys in glanmire last night, it was awful. Got pizza which was bland and like cardboard I'd have made better myself. They even made an issue that I'd asked to change 2 toppings when I placed the order. The chips were the same...
    Herself picked it up and Staff were rude even giving out that they were waiting to close and that she was late (closing time wasn't advertised) and that in future you can't change pizza toppings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Had oreillys in glanmire last night, it was awful. Got pizza which was bland and like cardboard I'd have made better myself. They even made an issue that I'd asked to change 2 toppings when I placed the order. The chips were the same...
    Herself picked it up and Staff were rude even giving out that they were waiting to close and that she was late (closing time wasn't advertised) and that in future you can't change pizza toppings

Bald fella with glasses by any chance?

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Bald fella with glasses by any chance?

Not sure , I wasn't there when collected. Was a female in her 40's but there was a lad working there aswell , apparently he was very friendly about it and was trying to calm the situation.

I don't get chipper much but Id be sticking to Dennys in future

https://www.fundourfavs.ie/

This is a nice initiative set up to help local cafes and businesses through this time. It allows you to buy gift vouchers to use in the future. The obvious question is what happens if the business you buy from doesn't reopen, they don't address this at all in the FAQ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

good day deli kicking off weekend delivery boxes- looks interesting !
    https://www.gooddaydeli.ie/ketekaibox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

whatever76 wrote: »
    good day deli kicking off weekend delivery boxes- looks interesting !
    https://www.gooddaydeli.ie/ketekaibox

This round sold out already!

Kerry25x wrote: »
    https://www.fundourfavs.ie/

This is a nice initiative set up to help local cafes and businesses through this time. It allows you to buy gift vouchers to use in the future. The obvious question is what happens if the business you buy from doesn't reopen, they don't address this at all in the FAQ.

If the business does not reopen, you lose the voucher - same as if any business closes having issued vouchers - you'd join a long line of people owed money with little to no chance of recovery.

Nice idea but a little risky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

If the business does not reopen, you lose the voucher - same as if any business closes having issued vouchers - you'd join a long line of people owed money with little to no chance of recovery.

Nice idea but a little risky!

Lovely idea but the site should stand over the voucher and transfer it if somewhere doesn't reopen as they're surely taking a percentage of every voucher.

Think I'll stick to one4all vouchers if I need a present for anyone.

.red. wrote: »
    Lovely idea but the site should stand over the voucher and transfer it if somewhere doesn't reopen as they're surely taking a percentage of every voucher.

Think I'll stick to one4all vouchers if I need a present for anyone.

No, the site claims to be making nothing out of it, so they're not going to stand over the vouchers. I asked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement