Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Pabmac

Went to Sultans in Penrose Wharf last Saturday. Had the mezze to start, shared by three of us. It was fantastic. Must say the main course was a bit disappointing. Had the chicken Kafta. Tasty enough but I felt it lacked something. I think I was looking forward to going there so much it was a bit of an anti climax :( Any one else been there?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭irishcsifan

Yup, was open last night anyway! Had a lovely meal, cheers to everyone who recommended it, best Chinese I've had in Cork.

Have you tried the dim sum there. its fab

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭MagnusDamm

Best restaurant in Cork by a distance is Les Gourmandise. Food is as good as Guilbauds in Dublin.

Best kept secret is Hardwood on the North Quays.

Star Anise and Greenes are very good too.

The old favourites like Jacques and Jacobs are usually consistently good.

Of the cheaper places, Il Padrinos, Cornstore and Amicus are very good at what they do.

Was in corn store recently and will never go back. Steak was way over cooked and then when I asked for another all I got was attitude.

To top it off I found hair in my dessert.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

I was at the National Chowder Cook Off in Kinsale recently, and the entry for Cork was the Cornstore - it didn't win but it was quite good and we said we would go there to have some chowder some time but the last poster has put me off going there! Hair in the food - gross yuck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

MagnusDamm wrote: »
    Was in corn store recently and will never go back. Steak was way over cooked and then when I asked for another all I got was attitude.

That sounds like my experience there! Food was hit and miss, they tried to charge for water and overall an attitude above their station.

Would not recommend the place at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

MagnusDamm wrote: »

The Cornstore is probably one of my favourite places to go in Cork for steak (that and Jacques). We often get the steak for 2, either rare or medium rare, and it's always been spot on. Plus they make decent cocktails. Pity to hear about your experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hair in food... Shudder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Oleander wrote: »
    I was at the National Chowder Cook Off in Kinsale recently, and the entry for Cork was the Cornstore - it didn't win but it was quite good and we said we would go there to have some chowder some time but the last poster has put me off going there! Hair in the food - gross yuck!

If you are gonna decline going to a restaurant because of a comment on the internet, then you should probably get used to the idea of never going to any restaurant ever again....or stop reading about restaurants on the internet.

For every thousand happy customers who never post on internet forums, there will be one who has a bad experience and will post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

That's the thing you see. Good news travels fast, but bad news travels faster yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Have to say always thought the cornstore was overrated aswell. I just don't get it (not that) but you know what I mean. There are much better places in Cork..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I don't think I've ever had a bad meal in the Cornstore, but it wouldn't be somewhere I'd go often. I've probably eaten there 5 times ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I've eaten there only a couple of times aswell but I did think it was quite pricey for what it was. They also replaced a main that came with veg or potatoes (can't remember exactly) with lentils :eek: They said the dish had changed and it's served with lentils now, although it wasn't changed on the menu and they didn't tell me when I ordered. :rolleyes: Yuck.

I will be going there soon for the Tapas Trail though, so I'm hoping the food will be nicer than I remember!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

I got the worst mushroom bruschetta I could ever imagine in the Cornstore recently! It's something that is difficult to get wrong but they did with some aplomb! Soggy and cold and tasteless.

I also don't like a place that brings you bottles of water when you ask for a jog of water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Oh fook, I didn't realise it was on that tapas trail. We're doing that. I had a bad experience with the cornstore in 2007. I was trying to do two things... eat a dinner for two that we had a reservation for, and book a party for about 12 people in 4 weeks time. I couldn't get a straight answer out of the manager on prices, menu's, availability. I wanted to order from the same menu that the party would be eating from so I could check it out in advance. Could not get it through his skull. Waited 30 mins at a table for a menu, trying to hail people repeatedly, and going to the manager directly. Gave up on getting any food, and booked party elsewhere. Haven't been back. Hope it's different this time, probably a different floor manager at least several years later.

What's the Tapas Trail and when's it on?

Faith wrote: »
    What's the Tapas Trail and when's it on?

Check it out: http://www.campoviejotapastrail.ie/

:) Very few details yet, except it's 4 restaurants - Oysters, Cornstore, Electric & Arthur Mayne. Tapas tasters. Noms!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭MagnusDamm

A friend of mine ordered soup in cornstone about a year ago. He said he found a full egg in the soup,shell and all.

How can that happen?

Malari wrote: »
    Check it out: http://www.campoviejotapastrail.ie/

:) Very few details yet, except it's 4 restaurants - Oysters, Cornstore, Electric & Arthur Mayne. Tapas tasters. Noms!

Thanks! Do you know how much tickets are? The website was trying to make me give them all my details before giving me any information to work with!

Yeah, I noticed that I had to get as far as entering my card details before I found out how much it was! It was €20 a ticket and a couple Euro fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I had great hopes for this interesting café as it was recommended by a friend.I ordered a bowl of sour barley soup in CoMix. After what seemed a long wait for a bowl of soup in a quiet café my soup was served. The soup was so salty it was almost inedible. I should have returned the soup straight away but instead I proceeded to eat almost half of it.
    Defeated, I brought my unfinished bowl to the counter and mentioned it to the staff member who, despite not tasting the soup while I was there, insisted there was nothing wrong as it is a salty soup and took the full price for it.

Seemed like a good place otherwise but I won't be returning as I can only assume that the chef is that heavy handed with all his/her seasoning as I find it hard to imaging any soup that is supposed to be that salty.

How can they insist that there was nothing wrong with the soup without tasting it?
    Very unclever customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

Not going to go through to check if it's here already but Il Padrino's on Cook Street does my favourite pizza in the world, and I love pizza. Of course, it's just my opinion, but I strongly recommend them on their simple Margherita alone. Good prices too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Has anyone heard of the new restaurant that has opened in Wilton - I think its owned by the chef from Oysters restaurant in the clarion?

Just did a quick google and found it - it's called Gallo and Galetti. Food looks pretty decent on their facebook page anyway :)

http://www.facebook.com/GalloandGaletti

leahyl wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of the new restaurant that has opened in Wilton - I think its owned by the chef from Oysters restaurant in the clarion?

Just did a quick google and found it - it's called Gallo and Galetti. Food looks pretty decent on their facebook page anyway :)

http://www.facebook.com/GalloandGaletti

Someone mentioned this to me at the weekend. Looks like it would be worth a visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Malari wrote: »
    Someone mentioned this to me at the weekend. Looks like it would be worth a visit!

+1. Called in last Sat to pick up a menu and it looks great. Reasonably priced too. They have a kids menu, but I think something like the kids menu in Milanos would be better. Still though, a nice looking restaurant and a great location for many people who can walk & have a bottle of wine (and walk badly home!)

Mr ABC & I were thinking of trying it at the weekend. Does anyone have a menu or any idea of what's on there?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

leahyl wrote: »

Yup - Brendan Cashman (formerly of Augustine's in the Clarion) is the chef there. That bodes very well for the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

God knows Bishopstown could do with a decent restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Got a table for tomorrow evening, so looking forward to it!

Don't forget to give us a full review of the food and ambience!

• Advertisement

If you could snap a picture of the menu too, I'd appreciate it ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement