Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Allumni

Went in to Liberty Grill and thought it was very good. Certainly better restaurants in Cork, but for the price it was spot on. Liked the way you can get a half caraffe of wine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Throwing another recommendation in for Sultan, the new Lebanese place. Went there a couple of times (ok, so I may have a hummus addiction...) in the last month or so and both times were great. First time we were 2 people and had the "king" mezze or some such, the most expensive variety basically. It could easily have done as a full meal for us, so when we got our mains and they weren't massive in size we were actually quite pleased.

The server for our first visit was the chef for our second (I think he may be the owner) and possibly the nicest guy I've met in a long time. Second time around we were a party of six and after some joking around about how the boys could clearly have food spicier than what they got he came out with some chili paste (harissa at a guess) for our meal and he even gave us all some to take home. It rocked the spicy food freaks' worlds.

His wife makes all the desserts by hand and the baklava was absolutely amazing.

For recommendations on dishes; the shawarma and lamb shish were both so tasty and my favorite starters were the spicy potatoes that have a great combination of spicy and kind of warm with cinnamon, as well as the hummus with minced lamb.

As a note, they don't serve alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

nerwen wrote: »

Do they allow BYOB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Throwing another recommendation in for Sultan, the new Lebanese place. Went there a couple of times (ok, so I may have a hummus addiction...) in the last month or so and both times were great. First time we were 2 people and had the "king" mezze or some such, the most expensive variety basically. It could easily have done as a full meal for us, so when we got our mains and they weren't massive in size we were actually quite pleased.

The server for our first visit was the chef for our second (I think he may be the owner) and possibly the nicest guy I've met in a long time. Second time around we were a party of six and after some joking around about how the boys could clearly have food spicier than what they got he came out with some chili paste (harissa at a guess) for our meal and he even gave us all some to take home. It rocked the spicy food freaks' worlds.

For recommendations on dishes; the shawarma and lamb shish were both so tasty and my favorite starters were the spicy potatoes that have a great combination of spicy and kind of warm with cinnamon, as well as the hummus with minced lamb.

Aw, it sounded so good until the last line :pac:

I do want to try it, but I enjoy a glass of wine or a beer with dinner. At least if it's BYO it would be nice.

Do they open for lunch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

The guy who owns it is really nice .... he usually has a stall at the Douglas Court farmers market every saturday and the blackrock one on sundays. He makes the most amazing lamb kofta kebabs .... nom nom. Best hangover food ever :D

Defo must try out the restaurant sometime

• Advertisement

kcb wrote: »
    Do they allow BYOB?

I honestly don't know, but you could ask on their facebook page as they seem to reply there fairly regularly.
    Malari wrote: »
    Do they open for lunch?

I believe they do, the take away menu I grabbed says Mon-Fri 10-10 and Sat-Sun 3-11. I grabbed this some time ago though, so you may want to call and ask to be sure. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 franzilein

Hi, can anybody recommend a good Italian? I mean a REAL Italian, not the likes of Milano etc. or those places where they give you chips with your meal...

If you want a really good one I don't know if you'll get it in Cork city! Try Napoli in Monkstown, it really is quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Well DON'T go to Il Padrino's!! Crap food, worse service...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭sporina

If you want a really good one I don't know if you'll get it in Cork city! Try Napoli in Monkstown, it really is quality.

i have heard about this place.. would like to try it out sometime..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

franzilein wrote: »
    Hi, can anybody recommend a good Italian? I mean a REAL Italian, not the likes of Milano etc. or those places where they give you chips with your meal...

I was always impressed by Bacco's in ballincollig, but it's a while since I was there. Run by an italian family. They have a deli / italian grocery across the road.

I liked gallo and galetti in Wilton too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

There is an Autentico Ristorante Italiano in killarney, Sorry, I can't remember the name, but I've never heard of one in Cork.

A formal Italian meal should be several/many courses, there should not be any mention of "comes with", "followed by" is good. Italians do eat spuds and even chips but not as obsessively as we do here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Well DON'T go to Il Padrino's!! Crap food, worse service...

Really?

I've been going there for over 5 years very regularly and have always had fantastic service and food.

The calzone alone is gorgeous, absolutely stuffed to the brim and perfectly prepared.

What happened on your visit?

Service was rushed, even though we'd booked a table in advance. The food appeared instantly (never a good sign), and had obviously been kept under lights. End result - the pasta had dried out, and tasted like cardboard. The sauce was obviously processed. The bill was expensive.

Never again. THAT'S why I would never return to Il Padrino. Neither would I recommend the place to anyone else.

Italee on Oliver Plunkett st. One of my favorites and the best dish on the menu? Pasta pomodoro. Though their daily specials are amazing when I stray from the favorite.

No chips, proper Italian food cooked by Italians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had another lovely meal in House Café in The Opera House the other day. Good food, cooked simply, served in a casual setting. Lots of vegetarian offerings, couple of fish dishes and one or two meat. Seriously good desserts and truffles too and an interesting wine list. We had two tidy mains and one glass of wine for under €30. Nice. Golden bean coffee is top notch too.

Italee
    Ricos (Mardyke)
    La Dolce Vita

I would say these are the only "real" Italian restuarants in Cork.

In terms of "real" pizza you can't beat Novecento.

Places like Rossini, Il Padrino are not real Italian although seem to be very popular to Irish people. we won't even mention the likes of Milanos!

Is La Dolce Vita good? I assumed it was more along the lines of Rossini et al. I've never heard anyone mention it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There's a new Japanese sushi and noodle restaurant opening on McCurtain Street this week. Sakura (or something like that) it's called. Hopefully it will be good, reasonable and if so, do well.

Is La Dolce Vita good? I assumed it was more along the lines of Rossini et al. I've never heard anyone mention it before.

i had dinner there for a birthday bash back in december. The food was good - and real italian - but the place was freezing. Maybe its ok in summer. The staff were so nice though. They made a "birthday cake" out of my buddy's tiramisu.. and we sang happy birthday.
    Nice place - i would like to see it busier. Also, one of us wanted a glass of white wine which said on the wine list that it was only sold by the bottle but they gave her a glass of it anyway.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Never again. THAT'S why I would never return to Il Padrino. Neither would I recommend the place to anyone else.

I'd have to concur with this - the food often tastes like it comes out out of a rehydrated packet. Not a restaurant I'd recommend TBH

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

dudara wrote: »
    I'd have to concur with this - the food often tastes like it comes out out of a rehydrated packet. Not a restaurant I'd recommend TBH

I always thought it was outrageously overpriced too. €16/€18 for a bowl of pasta that cost €2 to make?

I'm pretty sure I've whinged about that before, but it really grates my cheese. I don't mind paying high prices when it's worth it, but I always see pasta as a cheap option.

Yes, it's very good. Give it a shot. They do a €20 early bird 5-7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Hey, looking for a recommendation please, early bird on Friday for 4 or 6 people, BYOB preferable but not a deal breaker if not. Cuisine isn't too much of an issue either. Had heard of Strasbourg Goose, any thoughts on it?

I wasn't that impressed by the Goose. Service wasn't great, food was disappointing and we were seated on the mezzanine floor, which was a bit cramped.

How about Fenn's Quay? They do a 2 course and 3 course early bird before 7.30pm. Not sure if its BYO though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Thanks for the reply, just visiting Cork so don't know the places, Fenn's Quay menu looks good though. Any other's to consider?

Em, I think Electric do an early bird too. They do a really good set menu for €20.

Market Lane on Oliver Plunkett St do a nice Early Bird as well. E20 from memory.

Hey, looking for a recommendation please, early bird on Friday for 4 or 6 people, BYOB preferable but not a deal breaker if not. Cuisine isn't too much of an issue either. Had heard of Strasbourg Goose, any thoughts on it?

the only place that i can think of that offer's BYOB is cafe gusto on washington street. Its small though,.. and not sure if they take bookings..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Em, I think Electric do an early bird too. They do a really good set menu for €20.

Had it last week - the food was pretty terrible. Service, as usual there, impeccable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement