Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

Family lunch/dinner with 3 teens required.... a mission!
    Dads' birthday...so no Milanos/eddie rockets (barf!).......any suggestions greatly appreciated. Am dying to try out strasbourg goose - but wonder what time is acceptable for our arrival/departure!It can be early sat night......

The Liberty Grill? Really nice food, something for everyone , been there loads myself and never had any issues, they have quick service, are very clean and extremely friendly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I see a lot of families in Electric too. They have a good menu with burgers and fish and chips, as well as nice fish specials.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Giak

Anyone know of a restaurant that does lobster?

Oysters or the Electric fish bar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Malari wrote: »
    Oysters or the Electric fish bar?

Oysters!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We ate in Electric for my birthday last night. I had really high hopes, but if I had to rate it, I'd give it 3/5.

I had arancini to start, which were overly cheesy and the base risotto was overcooked so it had no bite. It was more like eating one of those cheese bites from M&S. My OH had chowder, which was about 50% potato and celery. He said the fish was almost an afterthought in it. We all had steaks for the main, which were really enjoyable and cooked perfectly. Dessert was a bit of a let-down again. Because it was a big celebration, I broke my 'no sugar' diet and had an unremarkable sticky toffee pudding, which wasn't actually worth breaking the sugar fast for.

However, the service was excellent, and when they heard it was a celebration, they gave us some bits and pieces on the house. The wine was also delicious :D.

So I'd recommend it, but it wasn't as great as I thought it would be.

What about Indians in the city center? (not Douglas)

I already know Bombay Palace, Iyer's and Eastern Tandoori.

Any other ones?

edit: Apparently there's a place called Saffron on South Mall. Could be out of date info on google though. Ever heard of it Also the Majarahagah or something on Cook street. Never heard of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

Does anyone have a phone number for Ozwalds the new Tapas place in Douglas? I can't find any reference to it on Google.

Better still if someone has been there could they post a mini-review? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Giak wrote: »
    What about Indians in the city center? (not Douglas)

I already know Bombay Palace, Iyer's and Eastern Tandoori.

Any other ones?

edit: Apparently there's a place called Saffron on South Mall. Could be out of date info on google though. Ever heard of it Also the Majarahagah or something on Cook street. Never heard of it.

There's also the Indian Palace on Princes street, which is the one I prefer out of these ones (though I haven't tried Iyer's yet!). I always find that Eastern Tandoori disappoints me on both food and service, though I keep going back because the first time I went there (years ago) was awesome and I love the decor. Only been to Bombay Palace twice and it was thoroughly average both times, though I found it pricey for the portions. I just prefer the style of curry you get from Indian Palace.

And how's the decor of Indian Palace? I found Bombay Palace to be extremely boring. I could have been in some country bumpkin hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Indian Palace is tiny and what I'd call typical Indian style, though not over the top. They got some blue lights in the ceiling I got no idea why, but otherwise you got your typical elephant and hindu statues and all that stuff. :) Just as an fyi, the biggest group I ever went there with was 10 and we basically occupied the whole places besides 2 4 man tables and 1 2 man. It's dinky. ;) The staff is cool, unless it's the old bat that I suspect is some kind of owner, though I haven't seen her there in ages. She's... very short with people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

pogsick wrote: »
    The Liberty Grill? Really nice food, something for everyone , been there loads myself and never had any issues, they have quick service, are very clean and extremely friendly

Oh No....closed on Sundays! :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Oh No....closed on Sundays! :(:(:(

You said saturday earlier???

Sunday is a disaster around cork. Loads of places don't open for sunday lunch at all.

I'd say ditch the city. You could try the elm tree in glountaune (carvery and sandiwch menu) or one of the hotels. Maryborough does a nice sunday lunch. Blackrock castle is open on sundays as well for lunch, and they do pizza as well if the teenagers are a fussy lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

pwurple wrote: »
    You said saturday earlier???

Couldn't go yesterday. Went to Blackrock Castle....all happy! Thanks to all

Went to Blackrock Castle Cafe for lunch on Saturday as a late Valentine's thing. Was very disappointed.

€8 for two crab fish fingers ... I don't mind spending a bit extra for Valentine's but that was a bit ridiculous. They were soggy too. Could have done with a bit of extra frying at a higher temperature to make them crispy.

I do recommend the bread & dip starter, big enough to share for two and it was quite yummy. I think there was 5 different types of bread, with a relish dip, pesto dip and hummus dip.

The mains were pretty crap.

The missus got the "Grilled Sea Trout, chevril, french beans, roast cherry tomatoes and a citrus mash" which sounded nice and posh but was just a bit of trout thrown onto mashed spuds with some tasteless white sauce. Very very very bland and I didn't taste any citrus in the mash.

I got the "Lebanese flatbread with lamb chump in spicy tomato dressing with cucumber tzatziki, coriander, pickled chilli and salad". It was pretty crap. It was basically a tomato-y lamb stew with the tiniest hint of spice on a pizza base, with "tzatziki" and "salad". The Tzatziki was not tzatziki, it was chopped cucumber and yoghurt with none of the extra Tazatziki ingredients like mint/dill or garlic. The "Salad" was a lump of coarsely chopped iceberg lettuce. It was F-ing pathetic.

grMLyV3.jpg

I suspect this "Lebanese" dish is targeted at mountain people who have no experience of exotic foods or salad. If I was Lebanese I would have declared war on the Castle.

Overall - ****e. I will never go there again.

Once positive was the nice walk to the place on Saturday. Not a drop of rain.

I saw a little cafe with some orange decor outside on the way to the castle. It had outside seating and seemed to have a few of those medals hanging on the door. I never checked the name of the place. Anybody know what it is? It's near where the Sunday market is held by the Marina on blackrock road.

I saw a little cafe with some orange decor outside on the way to the castle. It had outside seating and seemed to have a few of those medals hanging on the door. I never checked the name of the place. Anybody know what it is? It's near where the Sunday market is held by the Marina on blackrock road.

The orange place on the pier is the Good Food Bakery. Very popular spot.

ps, that lebanese thing is the worst thing on the menu. Sorry your only experience of the place was that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Faith wrote: »
    So I'd recommend it, but it wasn't as great as I thought it would be.
    That sums up Electric for me too! For such a popular place you'd expect more.

I'd put it in the same bracket as Eco and Market Lane and places... "Tis grand like"! But the amazing thing is that I think there are more people who actually prefer the "grand" meal than what I would regard as more adventurous and flavorsome meal.

kcb wrote: »
    That sums up Electric for me too! For such a popular place you'd expect more.

I'd put it in the same bracket as Eco and Market Lane and places... "Tis grand like"! But the amazing thing is that I think there are more people who actually prefer the "grand" meal than what I would regard as more adventurous and flavorsome meal.

I wouldn't put Eco and Market Lane in the same bracket at all! The thing that strikes me about Eco is that the place is dirty.

I haven't had a bad experience in Electric but I haven't been in a few months, I must admit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Milly33

grMLyV3.jpg

That looks pretty ming alrite looks like something from a take away..Did you say it to them?

We have gone twice for dinner and it was quite nice both times. Looks like they really let themselves down with this..shame shame

The good food bakery is quite nice for lunches and to stop by for a coffee on a walk

I wouldn't put Eco and Market Lane in the same bracket at all! The thing that strikes me about Eco is that the place is dirty.

I haven't had a bad experience in Electric but I haven't been in a few months, I must admit.

Ya comparing a place to Eco is probably unfair! I haven't been there in years to be honest but it's just an example of a place that seems to have a bit of a cult following for some unknown reason!

It's like that KC place down the street!

• Advertisement

Milly33 wrote: »

That looks pretty ming alrite looks like something from a take away..Did you say it to them?

I don't have any experience of sending food back in a restaurant, but I'm really kicking myself for not saying something.

What should I have said?

Also I didn't want to make a scene during our "romantic" Valentine's thing.:rolleyes:

But I will write a very angry email :D nothing will happen probably.

Just that it wasn't up to scratch really, perhaps mention the salad was not a salad more like chopped lettace just what you said here really. I haven't done it a lot of time but I have no problem sending food back, or if something isn't what it should be..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭Markcheese

"I saw a little cafe with some orange decor outside on the way to the castle. It had outside seating and seemed to have a few of those medals hanging on the door. I never checked the name of the place. Anybody know what it is? It's near where the Sunday market is held by the Marina on blackrock road."

It's " Natural foods bakery" they've a place on Paul street as well, and they're opening in Fitzgerald park soonish...
    Was surprised about blackrock castle, is that the same crowd as market lane ??

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Was surprised about blackrock castle, is that the same crowd as market lane ??

Yes it's the same crowd.

Also I didn't want to make a scene during our "romantic" Valentine's thing.:rolleyes:
    in fairness, "causing a scene" is the main thing that stops people complaining. It's a difficult one. I think the only way to handle it is to have a quiet word as you are paying the bill. Make it your business to go to the counter rather than pay at the table.
    But I will write a very angry email :D nothing will happen probably.

You'd be surprised.

you never know god I remember complaining about Ecos and wrote a letter to the manager after got a good enough apology back not one that would cover what happened but it was ok and a voucher to go back, never did as that was the 2nd strike but passed it onto someone who would go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭.red.

I complained in a hotel once about the meal. It wasnt upto scratch and parts of what was on the menu were missing from the plates. I said it whilst paying and was told i should have complaned to the waiter. I explained i didnt want a scene as it was busy and what we got served was nice, just not what we expected.
    He apologised and said it was a new menu and a chef was out sick with no cover so they got caught out. He only charged for our mains. We also got 2 rounds of drink at the bar.
    Great customer service we tought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

kcb wrote: »
    in fairness, "causing a scene" is the main thing that stops people complaining. It's a difficult one. I think the only way to handle it is to have a quiet word as you are paying the bill. Make it your business to go to the counter rather than pay at the table.

I agree with this approach. My last time in the Market Lane, I ordered a prawn starter (Think it was the eclair?). It was stone cold, and the prawns were raw! :eek: That was the first time I'd ever had a problem with a meal at the Market Lane.

Anyway - called the waiter over, quietly explained the problem, and the prawns were replaced no problem. We weren't charged for a round of drinks we ordered and I was given a bag of fudge to take home, along with fulsome apologies from the manager. We'd have no problem eating in there again.

Personally, I have no problem complaining if the food isn't good. I'm the customer who's paying enough for the meal, so I expect a certain standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭sporina

how are things with Ramen now anyone?
    have their delivery times improved?
    also, anyone know if they use msg?

• Advertisement

sporina wrote: »

Tried them the other night. Delivery took 90 minutes, which is WAY too long. Now, when I ordered, I got a text advising it could take that long, but still - that's a joke.

However, the food was lovely. My fiancé liked it more than I did, but I'd order from there again if we had the money. I doubt they use MSG, tbh, but I don't care if thy do because MSG is delicious :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Loved it initially, used it three more times since and it's always taken ages to be delivered and there was a problem with every order. I'd be wary of it now but my a OH loves it.

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Loved it initially, used it three more times since and it's always taken ages to be delivered and there was a problem with every order. I'd be wary of it now but my a OH loves it.

hmm i am mad to try it but i keep waiting for them to get their **** together - they have been open a while now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I phone up and go in and collect it 20 mins later. No problems last few times. I do like it I must say.

I phone up and go in and collect it 20 mins later. No problems last few times. I do like it I must say.

That's what we've done, maybe about 30 minutes waiting time. Still long enough when you are hungry.

My boyfriend has taken to calling it Ramadan instead of Ramen because you are waiting so long you are starving by the time you get the food :pac:

and what are the waiting times like to eat inside at night? average?

• Advertisement

and what are the waiting times like to eat inside at night? average?

The problem is getting a seat! Last time we went over with the plan to eat in and we ended up getting take out because it was jam packed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

The problem is getting a seat! Last time we went over with the plan to eat in and we ended up getting take out because it was jam packed.

You're best to go in there as early as possible, the earlier I've gone the quieter it seems to be, it starts to get crazy busy from 7.30 onwards every night, i like the place so am glad that they are doing so well

We ordered at 6.15pm after queuing for 10 mins! I'm wondering if the madness must end soon because the kitchen is in such a mess.

Is there anywhere good for brunch in Douglas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

On The Pig's Back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

The douglas tea room is nice.

https://www.facebook.com/DouglasTeaRoom

Another question has anyone here gone to an event/party/wedding afters in Amicus in Town?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

brevity wrote: »
    The douglas tea room is nice.

https://www.facebook.com/DouglasTeaRoom

I think it's gone downhill a lot in the last few months, I liked it at the start but the last few times there were mistakes with our orders every time and it just felt like there was no effort put into the food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

I know that a lot of you hate the place but for the few (like me!) who are still fans, The Eastern Tandoori is back on Grabone after a few months hiatus:

http://www.grabone.ie/cork/view-all

€26 for 2 starters and 2 main courses is a great offer in my opinion and I have bought another couple of vouchers to keep me going!

What's so bad about Eastern tandoori?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The food?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The food?

and the service.

Eastern tandoori is very oily I think. Not a fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Had some food in Deep south last night. Enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Had some food in Deep south last night. Enjoyed it.

Where's this?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement