Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

rob316 wrote: »
    Just avoid luigi malones, I was there recently not by choice I might add and the food is still atrocious. Ranging from tasteless to disgusting.
    Dessert was the only decent thing.
    I used to love Luigi's and went there quite regularly, but haven't been there in about 4 years now due to experiences that like you Rob, ranged from mediocre to downright inedible. The last straw was when I went in for lunch with my sister and ordered the wings which were always their saving grace and they were disgusting! Tasted like they had been soaked in vinegar. Plus the service in there had become downright rude. There are too many nice places to eat in Cork so have to suffer bad meals there.

I booked Annies for myself and my folks on Saturday so will let you know how I get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Just avoid luigi malones, I was there recently not by choice I might add and the food is still atrocious. Ranging from tasteless to disgusting.
    Dessert was the only decent thing.

That's because they bought it in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

ncmc wrote: »
    I used to love Luigi's and went there quite regularly, but haven't been there in about 4 years now due to experiences that like you Rob, ranged from mediocre to downright inedible. The last straw was when I went in for lunch with my sister and ordered the wings which were always their saving grace and they were disgusting! Tasted like they had been soaked in vinegar. Plus the service in there had become downright rude. There are too many nice places to eat in Cork so have to suffer bad meals there.

I booked Annies for myself and my folks on Saturday so will let you know how I get on!

This

Our waitress was so rude and abrupt. Can I get another beer please? You will have to wait till I bring out the starters she says? Again I wasn't there by choice and certainly didn't pay for it, if I was I would have walked at that moment.

I got a dry fillet of salmon, tasteless potato gratin and steamed Brocolli (already the most tasteless veg) for €16.90! Absolute high way robbery.

Annies I got to try, my favourite place in town at the moment is the Charcoal Grill formerly called the Bierhalle, wont beat it for value and quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If it has disimproved from 10 years ago it must be truly awful!!

I think it was always terrible and people who like it tend to out grow it.

This

Our waitress was so rude and abrupt. Can I get another beer please? You will have to wait till I bring out the starters she says? Again I wasn't there by choice and certainly didn't pay for it, if I was I would have walked at that moment.
    One of the last times I was there, I asked for a margharita and specifically asked for it in a margharita glass (I know it’s probably stupid - but I like having drinks in the right glasses) It came out in a regular tumbler and I asked if I could have it in the right glass, well she rolled her eyes and looked like she was about to say something but stopped herself. I was so annoyed, the drink would have been €8-9 at the time and it really isn’t a lot to ask that it be served correctly. The last time I was there my husband had the fajitas and he got the most measly portion of salad/cheese with it, he asked for some more and you’d swear he’d asked for the waitress’s first born child. Just not acceptable for the prices they are charging.
    If it has disimproved from 10 years ago it must be truly awful!!

I think it was always terrible and people who like it tend to out grow it.
    I think it used to be good for a purpose, it was always a good lively place to go with a large group or party. While not fine dining, the food used to be tasty and it was a nice fun environment for a meal. I gave it plenty of chances though and was continuously disappointed, so will never go back there.

Actually, you could be right about outgrowing it, at the ripe old age of 34, I like somewhere a little quieter and low key now! But it has to be said, the chicken wings used to be savage and a monster portion for €10… that blue cheese dressing….. nyom, nyom, nyom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I don't mind it... but it's overpriced. However, if I go I only get steak ribs or pasta. I do think the atmosphere can be ok weekend nights.

But ya, it's a lazy option at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Was at a work lunch in Serendipity on the Western Road. It was absolutely fantastic - the food was sublime and setting was perfect. Out of the 13 who sat to lunch - not one complaint. Will def be back and wouldn't hesitate in recommending it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

heading into Jacobs on the mall later looking forward to trying it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

Been there twice recently, mains was ok, but their peanut butter icecream desert was divine

I shall take note thanks

• Advertisement

Really enjoyed our meal in Annie’s Pub in Sunday’s Well on Saturday night. Lovely relaxed atmosphere - it is very ‘pub like’ rather than a fine dining restaurant experience - but everyone that was there was eating rather than tables of rowdy drinkers. It’s unusual in that there is no menu, the nights menu is just written on a chalk board, so you have to decide what you’re having before you sit down. I was a little disappointed when I first saw the menu, as there was nothing particularly exotic as shown on the sample menu online, but there was a nice choice and the prices were reasonable. I had the chilli crab cake to start which was lovely – nice mild chilli flavour, a nice kick but not too overpowering. I then had the sea bream on squid ink linguini, the sea bream was stunning, melt in the mouth with no bones and a couple of pieces of calamari on top. I thought this was excellent value at €18. I also tasted the rib eye steak which was incredible, lovely flavour and texture. We tried nearly all of the desserts and shared, I liked the orange and chocolate tart, although it was very rich. I think the best dessert we tried was the lemon tart though – delicious. It was a lovely meal and really affordable, three courses with tea/coffee and 3 alcoholic drinks came to €196 for 5 people. Service was also really good. Will definitely return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I've been dying to try Annie's for years, but can never seem to get a table! I'll be redoubling my efforts...

I've been dying to try Annie's for years, but can never seem to get a table! I'll be redoubling my efforts...
    I think I booked on Tuesday for the Saturday. The earliest they could take me was 8:30, they seem to have an early and a late sitting. It's definitely worth trying to get a table!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

Really enjoyed our meal in Annie’s Pub in Sunday’s Well on Saturday night. Lovely relaxed atmosphere - it is very ‘pub like’ rather than a fine dining restaurant experience - but everyone that was there was eating rather than tables of rowdy drinkers. It’s unusual in that there is no menu, the nights menu is just written on a chalk board, so you have to decide what you’re having before you sit down. I was a little disappointed when I first saw the menu, as there was nothing particularly exotic as shown on the sample menu online, but there was a nice choice and the prices were reasonable. I had the chilli crab cake to start which was lovely – nice mild chilli flavour, a nice kick but not too overpowering. I then had the sea bream on squid ink linguini, the sea bream was stunning, melt in the mouth with no bones and a couple of pieces of calamari on top. I thought this was excellent value at €18. I also tasted the rib eye steak which was incredible, lovely flavour and texture. We tried nearly all of the desserts and shared, I liked the orange and chocolate tart, although it was very rich. I think the best dessert we tried was the lemon tart though – delicious. It was a lovely meal and really affordable, three courses with tea/coffee and 3 alcoholic drinks came to €196 for 5 people. Service was also really good. Will definitely return.

glad you enjoyed it…

what were you expecting? it is a "pub".. i doubt anyone ever compared it to fine dining.. but its pub grub either.. closer to the former..

and like you said everyone was eating..

and the food is great for the price…

your main sounded pretty exotic -

did the other's enjoy their meal?

sporina wrote: »
    glad you enjoyed it…

what were you expecting? it is a "pub".. i doubt anyone ever compared it to fine dining.. but its pub grub either.. closer to the former..

and like you said everyone was eating..

and the food is great for the price…

your main sounded pretty exotic -

did the other's enjoy their meal?
    I know nobody said it was fine dining, I wasn't expecting fine dining. I was worried it would be like eating in a regular pub with rowdy drinkers getting louder as the night went on - it wasn't. That's why I mentioned it, I was trying to describe the atmosphere and maybe allay the fears of someone else who might be worried about eating in a pub.

I wouldn't call sea bream particularly exotic, on the sample menu they had items like ostrich and kangaroo, there was nothing like that on the menu on Saturday night, but as they say on their website, the menu changes regularly depending what is fresh. It's not a critiscm of the restaurant, just an observation.

Yes we all enjoyed our meal.

I know nobody said it was fine dining, I wasn't expecting fine dining. I was worried it would be like eating in a regular pub with rowdy drinkers getting louder as the night went on - it wasn't. That's why I mentioned it, I was trying to describe the atmosphere and maybe allay the fears of someone else who might be worried about eating in a pub.

I wouldn't call sea bream particularly exotic, on the sample menu they had items like ostrich and kangaroo, there was nothing like that on the menu on Saturday night, but as they say on their website, the menu changes regularly depending what is fresh. It's not a critiscm of the restaurant, just an observation.

Yes we all enjoyed our meal.

oh the way it was phrased in your previous post read to me that is was v pub like but not fine dining.. i was just saying that no one said it was like fine dining… but its more like a restaurant to me than a pub..

anyway.. squid ink linguini sounds exotic to me..

nevertheless glad ye enjoyed it - its a gem

Well back from Jacobs and mweee I don't think I would be rushing back.. Restaurant itself has a nice feel to it and the staff are lovely just missing something. We got the early bird menu and was surprised to see a €9.50 surcharge for the steak which on the main menu was I think €25. My dishes were loverly marker pate that isn't pate as such should be called a mouse or spread even, tisnt a pate and salmon which I normally would not go for. No side with any of the dishes you get whats on the plate. Another got steak which wasn't cooked as order, and another pasta which was served way to al dente and with peas in it which is just daft and not even nice peas..

We got some bread at the start which was nice but it would have been nicer if they told us what type it was.. Over-rated most defo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Milly33 wrote: »
    Well back from Jacobs and mweee I don't think I would be rushing back.. Restaurant itself has a nice feel to it and the staff are lovely just missing something. We got the early bird menu and was surprised to see a €9.50 surcharge for the steak which on the main menu was I think €25. My dishes were loverly marker pate that isn't pate as such should be called a mouse or spread even, tisnt a pate and salmon which I normally would not go for. No side with any of the dishes you get whats on the plate. Another got steak which wasn't cooked as order, and another pasta which was served way to al dente and with peas in it which is just daft and not even nice peas..

We got some bread at the start which was nice but it would have been nicer if they told us what type it was.. Over-rated most defo..

That's weird, did they not tell you when ordering that side dishes had to be ordered separately? Would make it more expensive, no?

Also, what's wrong with peas in pasta? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Malari wrote: »
    That's weird, did they not tell you when ordering that side dishes had to be ordered separately? Would make it more expensive, no?

Also, what's wrong with peas in pasta? :pac:

I love peas in pasta! Is that wrong? ;)

It is just odd I for one have never had a warm pasta with peas in it, not that it isn't a nice idea but they weren't even nice peas like those chunky garden peas you can get yummie..

Nope they never mentioned anything about sides, yep it would have made it more expensive but that's grand you expect to pay for some sides...

Just felt it wasn't worth it.. When you have the Strasbourg down the road doing and early bird for €20 that is yummie..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I love peas with pasta. So good. I've only been in Jacobs on the Mall once but I wasn't really impressed.

It is just odd I for one have never had a warm pasta with peas in it, not that it isn't a nice idea but they weren't even nice peas like those chunky garden peas you can get yummie..

Nope they never mentioned anything about sides, yep it would have made it more expensive but that's grand you expect to pay for some sides...

Just felt it wasn't worth it.. When you have the Strasbourg down the road doing and early bird for €20 that is yummie..

Oh, see I don't rate the Goose at all :) I thought the food was bland and overcooked (overheated in the microwave?) and the service was pretty poor in a packed restaurant. Not comfortable dining at all.

We would clash on a dinner date then haha..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I don't rate strasbourg goose either. Bit studenty.

And peas in pasta are yum. Pancetta, cream and peas.. Lemon and peas... Tomato and peas... Chili, garlic and peas... Pesto with peas. You have been missing out not having peas in pasta!

Milly - you could never come to dinner in our house! My husband's favourite dish is penne pasta with bacon, chilli, onion, garlic and PEAS!! Mixed together with creme fraiche? YUM!! :D

hmm hence i went once and never again.. totally over rated..

on the pea's - pea's are a fav in pasta - i mean, ham and pea's in pasta is a classic dish.. in a cream sauce.. nigella has a nice recipe too

hahah its like a pea cult on here!! Gas, don't get me wrong now I do like them myself but those big nice garden peas you can get them id eat straight from the pod but these were not good peas.. Jaysus ill have peas on the brain ill have to have some tonight

hahah its like a pea cult on here!! Gas, don't get me wrong now I do like them myself but those big nice garden peas you can get them id eat straight from the pod but these were not good peas.. Jaysus ill have peas on the brain ill have to have some tonight

You need to cook you a nice big plate of pasta. Add some peas, , , onion, chilli & garlic. Then repeat this mantra. 'Peas in pasta are good'. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭HeadPig

Looking for a recommendation for fine dining in Cork for a formal lunch. Wanted to go to les gourmandises but they only do dinner.

• Advertisement

HeadPig wrote: »
    Looking for a recommendation for fine dining in Cork for a formal lunch. Wanted to go to les gourmandises but they only do dinner.

Hayfield Manor
    Maryborough House Hotel

Maybe ballymaloe, but it isn't in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Alv_M

Anyone interested in fine dining food, try the bayview Hotel in ballycotton for dinner. There lounge menu is quiet good too and it's served until 8 or so.

Has anyone been for afternoon tea at the Hayfield Manor? I've heard good things about it, but wanted some other opinions.

HeadPig wrote: »

the imperial hotel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not much fine dining in Cork City to be honest. Not in the sense that you have it in Dublin. Lots of good, more relaxed options but I wouldn't call them fine dining.

Cafe Paradiso is at a pretty high standard. Good options could also include Jacques Restaurant, Star Anise or Oysters in the Clarion. The restaurants at the Hayfield might also be worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Greenes possibly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Has anyone been for afternoon tea at the Hayfield Manor? I've heard good things about it, but wanted some other opinions.

I was there about a year and a half ago and I wasn't at all impressed - the sandwiches they served were stale and the cakes/patisserie style desserts were way too sweet and seed to all be mousse based and just not very nice. The scones were ok but then you'd expect a nice scone really. The surroundings were lovely and the waitress was very pleasant but I wouldn't go back. It's not worth 25e IMO, especially now having been to the Westin in Dublin and Fota Resort (my favourite at only 17e pp) since.

dudara wrote: »
    Not much fine dining in Cork City to be honest. Not in the sense that you have it in Dublin. Lots of good, more relaxed options but I wouldn't call them fine dining.

Cafe Paradiso is at a pretty high standard. Good options could also include Jacques Restaurant, Star Anise or Oysters in the Clarion. The restaurants at the Hayfield might also be worth a look.

Lunch options are even more reduced. Oysters isn't open for lunch as far as I know, not sure about the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

We went to Maryborough House last month for a Confirmation lunch (something like €28pp, can't remember exact cost) and I wasn't a bit impressed. The seafood chowder was quite tasty but had VERY little seafood in it. It came with no soda bread (the first time ever, when I have ordered chowder) and the staff seemed surprised when I requested it, which amazed me!

My pork main course was completely over-cooked and chewy and the vegetables arrived about 5 minutes afterwards. I accept that they were busy but the service was very slow and it took forever to pay the bill. Overall, not a good experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭paintinglasses

Myself and my boyfriend went to the Gourmet Burger Bistro last night. It was amazing. Great selection of burgers but its not just burgers they do! My chicken burger was nicely full without everything just falling out the bottom. Chicken wings are amazing and the staff are lovely.

Only downside... I was too full to try out the desserts! Will definitely be going back!

Myself and my boyfriend went to the Gourmet Burger Bistro last night. It was amazing. Great selection of burgers but its not just burgers they do! My chicken burger was nicely full without everything just falling out the bottom. Chicken wings are amazing and the staff are lovely.

Only downside... I was too full to try out the desserts! Will definitely be going back!

wow i am surprised - i had a chicken fillet burger there once and it was tough as old boots.. my opinion glorified burger and chips.. price same..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

I like burger bistro myself, but I have never had a chicken burger as it's just not my thing. My favorites are their lamb one with feta/tzatziki and the manchego/chorizo combo that I always ask to have as a beef rather than chicken, which is no problem at all.

Also, love the skin on fries. Nom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Is this the place at the end of Patricks hill?

Agree if it is, Got a burger and Onion rings in there a few weeks back, it was hands down the best burger I've ever had, I've noticed places asking recently how would you like your burger cooked, I always get it well done.

Isn't burger mince dangerous not cooked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Is this the place at the end of Patricks hill?

Agree if it is, Got a burger and Onion rings in there a few weeks back, it was hands down the best burger I've ever had, I've noticed places asking recently how would you like your burger cooked, I always get it well done.

Isn't burger mince dangerous not cooked?

Yes it is. Jo’ Burger in Dublin was ordered to stop serving burgers rare and medium-rare to in order to avoid facing legal action or closure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

evilivor wrote: »
    Yes it is. Jo’ Burger in Dublin was ordered to stop serving burgers rare and medium-rare to in order to avoid facing legal action or closure.

Why is that?
    I know another place in the city that asks you how you want it cooked.
    I honestly thought it was an Irish thing to always have a well cooked burger as I get the option pretty regular abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

54kroc wrote: »
    Why is that?
    I know another place in the city that asks you how you want it cooked.
    I honestly thought it was an Irish thing to always have a well cooked burger as I get the option pretty regular abroad.

If it's rare, it hasn't been cooked all the way through so bacteria in the middle can survive, which can be a serious health risk. Steak can be fine, but white meats & mixed meats are more risky. I was surprised too when someone asked how I'd like my burger done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

It's down to the fact that minced meat has had a much larger surface originally for bacteria to live, when minced this surface can be inside too, not being cooked, where as steak, the inside never comes in contact with outside bacteria.

I'm sure I've been asked how I want my burger cooked in Gournet burger, Soho, East Village in Douglas and one other place maybe the Woolshed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

It's down to the fact that minced meat has had a much larger surface originally for bacteria to live, when minced this surface can be inside too, not being cooked, where as steak, the inside never comes in contact with outside bacteria.

I'm sure I've been asked how I want my burger cooked in Gournet burger, Soho, East Village in Douglas and one other place maybe the Woolshed.

You're correct. Steak tartar is single source meat so it's safer.

Mmm, feel like burger tonight now! I usually order mine medium, if the restaurant will cook it that way. It's less about the colour and more about the temperature it's cooked to though, that means it's safe.

It's also about the cleanliness of the mincing machine. A steak will only have been in contact with knives, and that cut surface then has any bacteria killed by the hot pan. A burger will have gone through a mincer and either formed by hand or with a pressing machine. How often and at what temp are those machines cleaned? How long has the burger been sitting around since being formed?

Really want a kc's fajita burger now. Damn you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

sporina wrote: »
    wow i am surprised - i had a chicken fillet burger there once and it was tough as old boots.. my opinion glorified burger and chips.. price same..

I was there last night, disappointing food, lovely staff. I had the chicken burger which was nice but I don't think I've ever been served a burger before without any salad. The plate was totally bare except for the burger. Not even a couple of leaves inside the bun!
    There was a really hard sell going on for the brownies also. Order any hot drink and get a brownie for a euro, sounded great except what came out was little more than a mouthful..no cream or icecream and then they forgot to bring one of the hot drinks which meant we were charged €3 for one of the brownies.
    They had techno blaring the whole time as well. Used to love that place but definitely won't be back again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement