Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Uhh called into Luigis on Saturday and they have gone down hill..Used to be ok for a quick bite to eat, and grand service was always fairly crap but after Sat I wouldn't be rushing back there.. €60 for crap really got mussels that were just taste-less and garlic bread for nearly a €5 joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Is the Woodford any good? Was Gunna try it Friday.
    Any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

rob316 wrote: »
    Is the Woodford any good? Was Gunna try it Friday.
    Any recommendations?

Can highly recommend. Will you will be there for lunch or dinner? Was there for dinner but a dj was installed at 9ish. I don't know if that's still the case, but great food, service and atmosphere. Go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Didn't realise the Woodford did dinners now, thought it was only lunch. Every time I've eaten there I liked it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Apparently The Ambassador restaurant on Cook Street a Sino/Cork institution, is closing down shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

evilivor wrote: »
    Apparently The Ambassador restaurant on Cook Street a Sino/Cork institution, is closing down shortly.

I read on another thread that it's been sold to Penneys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Yeah it seems they own a restaurant in Carrigaline as well and the chef from the Ambassador is heading down there when it closes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ah, that's a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Restaurant awards ireland were on last night.
    Cork winners:

Best restaurant - fenns quay.
    Best chef - kevin ahern, sage restaurant midleton
    Best hotel restaurant - the presidents room, longueville house
    Best casual dining - nash 19
    Best gastropub - the electric
    Best wine experience - the black pig, kinsale
    Best customer service - market lane
    Best kids menu - the cornstore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

pwurple wrote: »
    Restaurant awards ireland were on last night.
    Cork winners:

Best restaurant - fenns quay.
    Best chef - kevin ahern, sage restaurant midleton
    Best hotel restaurant - the presidents room, longueville house
    Best casual dining - nash 19
    Best gastropub - the electric
    Best wine experience - the black pig, kinsale
    Best customer service - market lane
    Best kids menu - the cornstore

Must go to Sage - I have heard great things about it!

Was in Market Lane myself last Wednesday for the early bird and it was delicious and customer service was indeed very good.

I had soup for starter - celeriac, chicken and chorizo (delicious) with a slice of soda bread

For main I had smoked haddock with a bacon and cabbage potato cake, spice carrot puree and a cream sauce - gorgeous

For dessert I had scoop of homemade vanilla bean ice-cream - beautiful and so creamy

Then had a cup of tea after

All of this for 20e! I thought it was great value and the staff were lovely. Can't wait to go back; I had been a good few times in the past (like a few years ago) to Market Lane and I wasn't as impressed as others but the food is excellent now I must say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Ate Lunch in Nash19 during the weekend and was very impressed with it.

I'm minding my diet atm and got a chicken and mushroom pie with mash & brocolli. It wasn't too much, was very tasty and very laid back and spacious in there.

Will definitely be going back

I eat in Sage a couple of weeks ago, I kind of ended up there by accident but Im glad I did.

I got the beef and it was outstanding, herself was watching the figure so got chicken wings, they had this honey glaze on them they were delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Disappointing lunch in East Village recently. It used to be a match for Soho, which is reliable enough for burgers and the likes. But the burger didn't seem fresh. The place itself could badly do with a refurb also. Plus blaring Redfm on the radio, not so good.

kcb wrote: »
    Disappointing lunch in East Village recently. It used to be a match for Soho, which is reliable enough for burgers and the likes. But the burger didn't seem fresh. The place itself could badly do with a refurb also. Plus blaring Redfm on the radio, not so good.

I have 2 friends that love the East Village its the only place they go to, but any time I have been there its consistently been poor. I could cook better myself to be honest.

Its a pretentious place and the service is really poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

Anyone had a steak in Electric? Never had one and decided to change it, was thinking of trying there?

• Advertisement

I had a burger in Soho last year and it was awful! It had this awful aftertaste from it.... like it was gone off or something.

Sorry, just thought I'd throw that in there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Anyone had a steak in Electric? Never had one and decided to change it, was thinking of trying there?

Yes, and for my money, it's the best in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Ive been to both for dinner and thought they were ok, nothin special but hugely over priced. We paid just over €60 in soho for 2 starters, 2 mains which were burger and fajita and 3 cokes. The service was so slow we didnt have time for dessert as we were going to the cinema. Havent been back and wouldnt reccommend it to anyone.
    East Village was slightly better but we thought they were trading on its name. If it was a new place opened across the road with the same food and prices it wouldnt do too well.
    Just our opinions tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

leahyl wrote: »
    I had a burger in Soho last year and it was awful! It had this awful aftertaste from it.... like it was gone off or something.

Sorry, just thought I'd throw that in there :D

Well I've noticed that a few times recently (in various places), the burger meat has a slightly sour aftertaste - I don't know if that's what you mean.

I don't know if it is down to the meat having gone off, or is a different meat provider etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Now that the Ambassador Chinese is closing down I am looking for another haunt. Heard good things about Panda Mama but just spotted a place on the net I had never even heard of, Yuan Ming Yuan on Princes St. Good reviews on tripadvisor but surprised I never heard of it. Can anyone advise on it or any Chinese restaurants you would recommend?

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    Yes, and for my money, it's the best in Cork.

Really? I find it hit-n-miss. I would suggest they do a good tapas type of offering but I've twice had disappointing meals there. Maybe it was because one was a Groupon job and the other was an early bird... but it put me off anyway.

Lunch there recently... was surprised and disappointed to get a pre-made thing out of a fridge instead of a freshly prepared effort. It wasn't cheap.

not to mention charging €3.50 for a takeaway caramel slice on the way out!

A lot of work going on in the former Cafè Bar Deli premises at the moment, anyone know who's going in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Stenth

angeline wrote: »
    just spotted a place on the net I had never even heard of, Yuan Ming Yuan on Princes St. Good reviews on tripadvisor but surprised I never heard of it. Can anyone advise on it or any Chinese restaurants you would recommend?

It has good dim sum. I used to like it a lot but I can't really recommend it anymore, to be honest. It was really good a while ago, but the last couple of times I have been there I was very disappointed. I think the food quality has dropped significantly during the last year. Service is still good, though.

(Or perhaps I have just been unlucky.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The Golden Dragon at the Fox & Hounds, Ballyvolane is excellent for Chinese. So is Tung Sing on Patrick St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Now that the Ambassador Chinese is closing down I am looking for another haunt. Heard good things about Panda Mama but just spotted a place on the net I had never even heard of, Yuan Ming Yuan on Princes St. Good reviews on tripadvisor but surprised I never heard of it. Can anyone advise on it or any Chinese restaurants you would recommend?
    Pearl river on princes st is top notch. Probably a little more expensive than other chinese restaurants but well worth it.
    Banna Thai on maylor st. would be worth a go. Ive only been to their ballincollig restaurant but every time ive eaten there the food has been 10/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

I like YMY for the authentic Chinese food and their great selection of dim sum, while Panda Mama is great for big groups and more westernized style dishes. Both have great food in my opinion, as well as awesome Chinese beer and good service. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yuan ming yuan is a fantastic chinese in cork. It's my fav. Dim sum dim sum dim sum!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've had two in the last two months. They're delicious, but slightly under-seasoned. Great quality meat though.

I like both, but I haven't eaten in either in well over a year so I can't comment on how they are currently. Panda Mama has delicious fried rice though. I used to eat it on its own with some soy sauce :o

Ate in Isaacs last weekend. Excellent stuff and not badly priced either. Nice atmosphere there too. Nice busy spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

A lot of work going on in the former Cafè Bar Deli premises at the moment, anyone know who's going in there?

The Cornstore.

• Advertisement

Lemag wrote: »
    The Cornstore.

Really. That's a pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The Cornstore.

So they're moving from the Coal Quay? I know they have split levels where they are, but it's a much nicer building than where CBD was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Eden above boots on pana is very good and good value 2(during the day at least)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

farmerjj wrote: »
    Eden above boots on pana is very good and good value 2(during the day at least)

Only live a few mins from here so this is the local chinese, lovely food there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yuan Ming Yuan is the only Chinese in Cork that I'll eat in. As others have said, the Dim Sum is great. Go to the back of the menu and try something you haven't had before.

Tried Panda Mama with great excitement when it first opened. Thought it was rubbish and never went back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

So they're moving from the Coal Quay? I know they have split levels where they are, but it's a much nicer building than where CBD was.
    I don't know. As I was passing I asked a guy who was coming out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

Had breakfast this morning in Tara tea rooms on mccurtain st ! Highly recommend. Lovely spot and already planning returning for afternoon cake as they have great selection !

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stoutykid

A second shout out for Tara's tea rooms. Often pop in there for lunch during the week their sandwiches are really good and its impossible to walk past their cake selection. All the staff are really nice and helpful. I love going there. Its great to have somewhere nice near the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'm glad to hear the reviews about Tara's. We've been dying to try there for ages. Are they open weekends?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

'

YMY is possibly the most authentic restaurant in the city. If you want more European-type Chinese, then I quite like Panda Mama. I'd avoid many of the gloop-houses that are around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stoutykid

I'm glad to hear the reviews about Tara's. We've been dying to try there for ages. Are they open weekends?

They are def open Saturday not so sure about Sunday. I believe they have a facebook page maybe try that for their opening hours.

Hi, another positive review for Tara's - was there a few weeks ago, had a goats cheese and roasted vegetable panini - was nice but could have done with a bit more goats cheese alright!

Then had a slice of carrot cake which was beautiful - they have a great selection of cakes

They are open on Sundays too :-)

The Cornstore.
    Really. That's a pity.

Why? Just curious am I one of the few that thinks The Cornstore is an extremely over-priced and over-hyped place with barely average dishes (I've had a couple of awful dishes in there)....

Why? Just curious am I one of the few that thinks The Cornstore is an extremely over-priced and over-hyped place with barely average dishes (I've had a couple of awful dishes in there)....

That's why I think it's a pity if they are taking over CBD. I'd prefer if something nice were to open there instead.

Its awful. Worst place I have been to in Cork bar none. But it does serve the "plain eater" market, of which there are loads, and thats probably why it has a good name.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    Its awful. Worst place I have been to in Cork bar none. But it does serve the "plain eater" market, of which there are loads, and thats probably why it has a good name.

Good point. The plain eater market is huge and keeps these kind of places alive.

You wouldn't worry about a plain eater place though if they didn't think they were something more than that! What amazes/annoys me most about Cornstore is their attitude. Along with awful service (waited 1.5 hrs one night for starters) and rubbish food (got served a soggy, cold mushroom bruschetta).

I complained about that one and was told come back in for a free lunch! I will yeah!!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lisa78

My husband and I are heading to Cork for a couple of nights next week (arriving Tues 13th, leaving Thurs 15th) so just looking for a few ideas for places to have lunch and dinner that won't break the bank - early bird menus always good! Have a few ideas from this thread already that I'm going to look into - Market Lane, The Woodford, Serendipity Cafe, but any suggestions are welcome. We're not overly adventerous but don't mind trying most things. We're staying on Middle Glanmire Rd so anywhere around there or in the city centre should be fine - we'll hopefully be walking and want to avoid paying for taxis as much as possible.
    Thanks in advance :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lisa78 wrote: »
    My husband and I are heading to Cork for a couple of nights next week (arriving Tues 13th, leaving Thurs 15th) so just looking for a few ideas for places to have lunch and dinner that won't break the bank - early bird menus always good! Have a few ideas from this thread already that I'm going to look into - Market Lane, The Woodford, Serendipity Cafe, but any suggestions are welcome. We're not overly adventerous but don't mind trying most things. We're staying on Middle Glanmire Rd so anywhere around there or in the city centre should be fine - we'll hopefully be walking and want to avoid paying for taxis as much as possible.
    Thanks in advance :-)
    Sar Anise for early bird.
    Iyer's South Indian vegetarian cafe for lunch.
    Yuan Ming Yuan for Dim sum.
    House Cafe, Opera House, for lunch or casual dinner on show nights.

I'd echo the Star Anise early bird tip. Slavering now at the memory of my last meal there. Mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lisa78

That's brilliant - thanks very much. Will take note of them!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement