Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lisa78

evilivor wrote: »
    I'd echo the Star Anise early bird tip. Slavering now at the memory of my last meal there. Mmmm

Will definitely have to give that a go then :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Jacques early bird runs all night midweek, really liked it the last time i was there.

Market lans is a good choice, maybe look up liberty grill and the electric as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

Crawford Art Gallery also is a nice place for lunch\afternoon tea.
    Orzo and Mayne Wine bar also worth a mention !

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lisa78

Thanks pwurple and whatever76.
    Getting a good list together - loads of menus to look at and salivate over!!
    I actually had the Crawford Art Gallery on my sightseeing list so that'd be handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

If you like Italian I'd recommend Italee for lunch one day, it's definitely not bank breaking and it is SO good. :) Have fun!

Edit: On a different note I heard that another Chinese place is closing down in addition to the ambassador, Aroma across from the opera house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

nerwen wrote: »
    If you like Italian I'd recommend Italee for lunch one day, it's definitely not bank breaking and it is SO good. :) Have fun!

+1 on Italee.
    Not been in a while but used to love it for lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

nerwen wrote: »

Best coffee in town too and probably the most reasonable. What they right is give you a normal sized cup for a decent price. Rather than these awful chain places charging you €3 for a soup bowl of capuccino!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

pwurple wrote: »
    Jacques early bird runs all night midweek

Love Jacques and didn't know that so thanks!

Loire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Looking forward to trying out Italee at some point, had never heard of it!

D'Agger wrote: »
    Looking forward to trying out Italee at some point, had never heard of it!

Oh, you're in for a treat! Their daily specials are awesome.

On a different note, went to Gambienis on Carey's Lane the other day, have to say I left not feeling very impressed. The spicy meatballs for starters were most definitely microwaved and the main (chicken parmigiana variety), while absolutely massive, was pretty watery and had not seen any real parmesan in it's short life. Service was alright; in general nothing was BAD, but nothing was good either. Thoroughly mediocre and will not be revisited by me. You could probably feed 2 people on 1 main though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Been to gallo and galetti a few times recently. I think it's absolutely excellent. Love the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Went to the Gourmet Burger Bistro last night for a bite to eat. Just wanted something casual as wanted a change from the Market Lane.

It was really good. I had chicken wings to start, and an American Classic burger for the main. My husband had the Arbutus bread to start and a Full Irish burger to follow. Both were really good, generous portions, and pleasant service. To paraphrase Arnie: We'll be back!!

Been to gallo and galetti a few times recently. I think it's absolutely excellent. Love the place.

I'd agree with that. Had a very nice late lunch there recently; portions were not too big, right size... very flavoursome and quite authentic.

Got a takeaway pizza another time which wasn't as good but I wouldn't let that be the judge of them.

Recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

A lot of work going on in the former Cafè Bar Deli premises at the moment, anyone know who's going in there?

To answer my own question the name of the new venture is Coqbull so, along with Goldbergs, at least two new eateries in the city.

To answer my own question the name of the new venture is Coqbull so, along with Goldbergs, at least two new eateries in the city.

where/what is Goldberg's?

where/what is Goldberg's?

Victoria Road. "Bar and kitchen".

My friends and I are looking for a pub that does a great carvery style lunch/dinner - anyone got any suggestions? Preferably in the city as we don't drive! :)

spotted a new place next to The Phoenix too.... a wine bar type place....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

kcb wrote: »
    spotted a new place next to The Phoenix too.... a wine bar type place....

That's l'Attitude - that's been there a while, never been mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

isn't that the sunbeam cafe or something? l'atitude is on the corner

sporina wrote: »

Is that the place that used to be Taste?

Goldbergs is news to me, must go for a nose. Wonder if it's open. I'll report back!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

pwurple wrote: »
    Goldbergs is news to me, must go for a nose. Wonder if it's open. I'll report back!

It's not, it opens on the June bank holiday weekend.

I must say, their Facebook page is doing an excellent job of putting me off before it's even open, but I'll try and reserve judgement until I actually visit the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Been to quite a few new places and not so new places recently (lots of birthdays and anniversaries this month), so I thought I'd share my experiences.

SoHo - Gorgeous food but quite pricey and LOUD. Nice sociable place to meet with friends but not suitable for an intimate dinner. I had the ceaser salad which was gorgeous, and the cheesecake which tasted like it came from a supermarket. I had heard great things about their desserts so I was disappointed. Service was okay, was quite slow for a Tuesday evening but the waitress was really nice.

The Bodega - I didn't know they did food so it was a new find. Huge portions, decent prices, and the food was okay. I had the ceaser salad which was a bit bland and dry and the lemon tart which was a bit stale (for lack of better word, it just didn't taste fresh). I'd probably go back and order something different because the rest of my group were very impressed. Service was excellent, probably the best I've had in Cork in a long time.

Uncle Petes - Awful, the less said the better. Dusty glasses, cramped tables, food didn't taste fresh, almost like it was microwaved. Wouldn't go back. Glorified fast food disguised as a restaurant.

Scoozies - Really really good. Food was like home comforts, just great quality standard fare, nothing too exotic. Desserts were to die for. Portions good, fair pricing and excellent service. A bit cramped and loud though!

Faith wrote: »
    It's not, it opens on the June bank holiday weekend.

I must say, their Facebook page is doing an excellent job of putting me off before it's even open, but I'll try and reserve judgement until I actually visit the place.

Do you have a link to their FB page?

• Advertisement

Do you have a link to their FB page?

https://www.facebook.com/GoldbergsBar?fref=ts

To clarify, and I know I'll be in the minority here, but it really bugs me when businesses use social media without having even the faintest grasp of correct grammar. So when I see things like:
    CALLING ALL FRIENDS - We Are On A Mission - Our Target is 1000 Likes - Can You Help Us - by inviting your friends to - Like Our Page - We Need Some Loving People !!

It makes my eye twitch ;). But I know of a couple of the guys involved in it, and I'm sure they'll do a great job. Maybe just put someone else in charge of Facebook updates.

I see what you mean...I hate companies touting for 'likes'. WHY???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Been to quite a few new places and not so new places recently (lots of birthdays and anniversaries this month), so I thought I'd share my experiences.

SoHo - Gorgeous food but quite pricey and LOUD. Nice sociable place to meet with friends but not suitable for an intimate dinner. I had the ceaser salad which was gorgeous, and the cheesecake which tasted like it came from a supermarket. I had heard great things about their desserts so I was disappointed. Service was okay, was quite slow for a Tuesday evening but the waitress was really nice.

The Bodega - I didn't know they did food so it was a new find. Huge portions, decent prices, and the food was okay. I had the ceaser salad which was a bit bland and dry and the lemon tart which was a bit stale (for lack of better word, it just didn't taste fresh). I'd probably go back and order something different because the rest of my group were very impressed. Service was excellent, probably the best I've had in Cork in a long time.

Uncle Petes - Awful, the less said the better. Dusty glasses, cramped tables, food didn't taste fresh, almost like it was microwaved. Wouldn't go back. Glorified fast food disguised as a restaurant.

Scoozies - Really really good. Food was like home comforts, just great quality standard fare, nothing too exotic. Desserts were to die for. Portions good, fair pricing and excellent service. A bit cramped and loud though!

That's a shame its one of my go to places when I want a quick bite. Its cheap and doesn't try to be anything fancy but I wouldn't call it fast food, there is a few dishes that are very good.

Scoozies is well known to be microwaved fare and you didn't spot it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Wouldn't like Scoozies at all, didnt think much of Uncle Petes either thou

That's the one. Only had a glance at it; looked interesting. Small and quirky looking. All depends on the offering I suppose!

Actually called Sunbean I think...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

kcb wrote: »
    That's the one. Only had a glance at it; looked interesting. Small and quirky looking. All depends on the offering I suppose!

Actually called Sunbean I think...

I didn't realise that was also a winebar. Especially with the name "bean" in the title, it just sounds like a coffee shop.

Malari wrote: »
    I didn't realise that was also a winebar. Especially with the name "bean" in the title, it just sounds like a coffee shop.

pretty sure its sunbeam - there is some resonance with the name and cork - and it is a cafe.. afaik.. local fare and locally owned..

pretty sure its sunbeam - there is some resonance with the name and cork - and it is a cafe.. afaik.. local fare and locally owned..

Nope, Sunbean.

I mentioned it to a friend who said she tried to go there for a drink but they don't serve wine without food.

Nope, Sunbean.

I mentioned it to a friend who said she tried to go there for a drink but they don't serve wine without food.

oh i stand corrected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Heading to the city for the weekend and looking for a nice restaurant that does Spanish food, in around the city.
    Any recommendations be brilliant thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

Orzo I reckon is your best bet on Pembroke street

orso.ie

Had some a great night in Cafe Gusto on washington street last week. They open at night thursdays, friday and saturday. Bring your own bottle corkage charge is a fiver, not too bad.

We shared one of their mixed boards (meat cheese, tomatos, hummus, bread etc) and then had the lamb kofta and the meatballs. Very good quality, couldn't fault the food. Tables were a little small, and the high stools mean you don't linger, but that's the style of the place, which is fine.

Altogether yummo and very reasonable. Mixed board was 12 euro I think, lamb and meatballs were ~8 each, and a fiver for the bottle we brought ourselves.

Linky
    http://cafegusto.com/menus/5/evening-food-in-cork#.U3-kltq9KSM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

There was a new restaurant in cork reviewed in one of the Sunday magazines recently but I can't think of its name. The writer commented it was a bit overly "trendy" and I think it was in some sort of converted building. Any ideas?

Cork city or county? What type of cuisine? Is it more a café or a bar or a restaurant?

Cork city or county? What type of cuisine? Is it more a café or a bar or a restaurant?

Pretty sure it was in the city. Kinda higher end pub stuff I think. Chicken wings burgers etc but with a twist. The menu with the review seemed v interesting but can't for the life of me remember the name. Think it had a kind of american theme and the staff wore lumberjack shirts!

• Advertisement

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Pretty sure it was in the city. Kinda higher end pub stuff I think. Chicken wings burgers etc but with a twist. The menu with the review seemed v interesting but can't for the life of me remember the name. Think it had a kind of american theme and the staff wore lumberjack shirts!

Deep South?

Deep South?

Bingo!

Is it any good?

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Bingo!

Is it any good?

Haven't been myself, and am unlikely to because I have heard bad things from 4 different people...poor service, smelly, food not great, no atmosphere.

Haven't been myself, and am unlikely to because I have heard bad things from 4 different people...poor service, smelly, food not great, no atmosphere.

I'm surprised by that. I've had very positive experiences in there. The service is a bit slow, granted, but I've enjoyed the food I've gotten and I've found the atmosphere to be great. I've definitely never smelled any bad smells in there, and they've an outstanding beer garden!

Some things are overpriced, but overall I'd recommend trying it. It's run by the same guys that run the Opera House café, so on that alone, I think it's worth trying.

I'm surprised by that. I've had very positive experiences in there. The service is a bit slow, granted, but I've enjoyed the food I've gotten and I've found the atmosphere to be great. I've definitely never smelled any bad smells in there, and they've an outstanding beer garden!

Some things are overpriced, but overall I'd recommend trying it. It's run by the same guys that run the Opera House café, so on that alone, I think it's worth trying.

Yeah, I was surprised with the bad reviews because the Opera House café is nice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 ResidentHill

There's a nice little spot called Chargrill on McCurtain street that opened a few weeks ago, just next to Tara's Tea Room. Kind of fast food with pizzas, panini, chargrilled meats etc. Nice spot for a lunchtime snack and prices are decent, although it's a bit pokey. The owner is a friendly chap too.

Ate in Fenn's Quay on Friday, service was excellent but we were a bit unimpressed with the food.

Onion Rings started were okay, It's hard to do much with Onion Rings I suppose, Roast Chicken breat came with a little cabbage and strip of Bacon, nothing else, I felt a bit underwhelmed for 18 euro. My GF got vegetable rolls starter as a main with an extra one as the main menu didnt really half much of a vegetarian dish, again they were okay, nothing special.

Service 9/10
    Quality of food 8/10
    Value 2/10
    Experience 6/10

Had lunch in the Woolshed on Sunday, cold chips and what tasted like beef gravy in the Lasagne instead of a tomato based sauce was a bit strange, poor poor service too.

have given the place 3 chances now but this was the last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Anything other than a basket of chips and sausage in the Woolshed is not worth it. Certainly wouldn't go there expecting anything decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I've been in there twice and each time had the Woolshed burger but I thought it was grand both times; although I will admit it took a while to get served the last time I was there but we weren't in a rush so it wasn't really an issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement