Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Faith wrote: »
    I'm surprised by that. I've had very positive experiences in there. The service is a bit slow, granted, but I've enjoyed the food I've gotten and I've found the atmosphere to be great. I've definitely never smelled any bad smells in there, and they've an outstanding beer garden!

Some things are overpriced, but overall I'd recommend trying it. It's run by the same guys that run the Opera House café, so on that alone, I think it's worth trying.

one of the worst dining experiences ive had in cork.got the posh snackbox and it was absolutely woeful, there was a piece of chicken there you'd get more meat in a chicken nugget. parsnip chips that were cold and soggy and tasteless coleslaw that was more like shredded horseradish. all tis for 15 euro.I was genuinely shocked by how bad for value it is. nice place for a drink but couldn't go back for food again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭AshAdele

Deep south

decided to eat here after seeing the review on the sunday paper.
    don't order the pork burger it just tasted of lemongrass! nothing else! the sweet potato chips were soggy.

husband got the beef sliders they were much better and the potato wedges were nice.
    small portions, pricey

probably wont be back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

AshAdele wrote: »
    Deep south

decided to eat here after seeing the review on the sunday paper.
    don't order the pork burger it just tasted of lemongrass! nothing else! the sweet potato chips were soggy.

husband got the beef sliders they were much better and the potato wedges were nice.
    small portions, pricey

probably wont be back

Been there two or three times for lunch and everyone was happy with the place. The lunch special for €10 including a coffee seems like reasonable value. The huge beer garden out the back is really nice on a sunny day although it makes service slower for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

https://www.facebook.com/GoldbergsBar?fref=ts

To clarify, and I know I'll be in the minority here, but it really bugs me when businesses use social media without having even the faintest grasp of correct grammar. So when I see things like:

It makes my eye twitch ;). But I know of a couple of the guys involved in it, and I'm sure they'll do a great job. Maybe just put someone else in charge of Facebook updates.

Oh dear, today they have "hope your all enjoying the good weather"

:(:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

Hi everyone. Has anyone on here tried Gallo & Galletti in Wilton?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Many times. It's really good in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yup, gallo and galetti is very nice. Going there next week again hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

I just have to mention "Rock the Wok" chinese in Ballyphehane. Ordered this eve and was delish! Got thumbs up from 6 hard-to-please-honchos.

They delivered, so not strictly a restaurant, but so worth a thumbs up!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 UnderTheSky

Going to Cork with my boyfriend in a few weeks time, looking for a nice place to eat dinner one night, somewhere romantic-ish, the kind of place you could go on a date like. And I need somewhere that's not too expensive...
    The best place I've managed to find thus far is the Stir Restaurant in the Maldron Hotel, as their early bird dinner is €20 for four courses.
    However I'd really like to find a few more options if you guys would kindly help me out??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Going to Cork with my boyfriend in a few weeks time, looking for a nice place to eat dinner one night, somewhere romantic-ish, the kind of place you could go on a date like. And I need somewhere that's not too expensive...
    The best place I've managed to find thus far is the Stir Restaurant in the Maldron Hotel, as their early bird dinner is €20 for four courses.
    However I'd really like to find a few more options if you guys would kindly help me out??

Have a look at the Market Lane Early Bird menu 5 - 7 PM, 3 courses for 20 euro and the food and service is great quality.

http://www.marketlane.ie/food/90-early-bird-menu-monday-thursday-5-7pm-sunday-1-7pm/

• Advertisement

Was at gallo and galetti... Food was good. Really really good. Could not fault anything with the food.

Atmosphere is missing somthing though. I can't put my finger on what it is... Maybe the fake plastic flowers on the tables are wrong? It feels like a cafe in there with the decor. The benches on the wall are a little too low for the tables, it's not as comfy as it could be. The service is efficient, but maybe gone too far as well for an italian. I expect to linger more over food of that style, we felt rushed.

All nit-picky there, i'd go back for sure for the great food, and they did nothing wrong service-wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

pwurple wrote: »
    Was at gallo and galetti... Food was good. Really really good. Could not fault anything with the food.

Atmosphere is missing somthing though. I can't put my finger on what it is... Maybe the fake plastic flowers on the tables are wrong? It feels like a cafe in there with the decor. The benches on the wall are a little too low for the tables, it's not as comfy as it could be. The service is efficient, but maybe gone too far as well for an italian. I expect to linger more over food of that style, we felt rushed.

All nit-picky there, i'd go back for sure for the great food, and they did nothing wrong service-wise.

That was my experience as well. Some soft lighting, italian art work and perhaps terra cotta painted walls and it would be great. It just feels a bit surburban and soulless to me. Food was good though and it's a great location for anyone on that side of the city...wine & walk ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Has anyone had any recent experiences they'd like to share? Passed there today and the food looked really nice, and the place appeared spotless.

I know there were a few teething problems when it opened, but has it improved since?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I haven't been in a couple of months, but my opinion is pretty low. It's basically self-service, which I dislike because it gives it a cafeteria feel. It's a very large, cavernous room that amplifies all sound, so it's hard to hear the people you're with. The tables are crammed on top of each other at the same time, so it feels very cramped. The food was alright but nothing to write home about.

That's my opinion anyway. I've been twice and wouldn't go again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I haven't been in a couple of months, but my opinion is pretty low. It's basically self-service, which I dislike because it gives it a cafeteria feel.
    I've been there a few times. On each occasion my order has been taken at the till but the food was delivered to me at my table.
    It's a very large, cavernous room that amplifies all sound, so it's hard to hear the people you're with.
    I haven't noticed any difficulties communicating with whomever I've been accompanied by. I've been there when it has been quite busy but not full.
    The tables are crammed on top of each other at the same time, so it feels very cramped.
    I haven't experienced this as I've been able to choose a table on each occasion. The tables and chairs aren't fixed though so perhaps they have removed some of these since your last visit.
    The food was alright but nothing to write home about.

I've enjoyed the food on each occasion. However, I've been informed by a friend of mine that they've recently brought in a new chef. Your concerns regarding the service and the experience of feeling cramped are typically symptomatic of the teething issues often associated with new establishments. Perhaps if you give it another go you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I've been to Pery St Market Café several times but my main issue is that it's overpriced for food that you collect at the counter (unless you are getting hot food delivered to your table).

Also I never feel that comfortable walking around on anything but flat shoes as the floors are crazily slippy! I don't know what they use to clean it but it seems to get greasy very quickly.

I've ended up going back there with friends who like it/people who want to try it but I wouldn't choose to go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I haven't been in a couple of months, but my opinion is pretty low. It's basically self-service, which I dislike because it gives it a cafeteria feel. It's a very large, cavernous room that amplifies all sound, so it's hard to hear the people you're with. The tables are crammed on top of each other at the same time, so it feels very cramped. The food was alright but nothing to write home about.

The Breakfast I had there on my second visit was amongst the worse meals I have ever had and it was terribly expensive.

Lemag wrote: »
    I've been there a few times. On each occasion my order has been taken at the till but the food was delivered to me at my table.
    I haven't noticed any difficulties communicating with whomever I've been accompanied by. I've been there when it has been quite busy but not full.
    I haven't experienced this as I've been able to choose a table on each occasion. The tables and chairs aren't fixed though so perhaps they have removed some of these since your last visit.
    I've enjoyed the food on each occasion. However, I've been informed by a friend of mine that they've recently brought in a new chef. Your concerns regarding the service and the experience of feeling cramped are typically symptomatic of the teething issues often associated with new establishments. Perhaps if you give it another go you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Unless you order hot food, it's not brought to your table. You're also expected to get your own water and cutlery.

I've only been there during the lunchtime period and it's been pretty full, so I've had to take whatever table was available. It's also typically had a high proportion of children, adding to the din.

It could certainly be teething issues, but it's been open since at least last October. I really don't intend on giving it another go tbh, no matter how many new chefs they get. The food is the least of my complaints in this instance.

Unless you order hot food, it's not brought to your table. You're also expected to get your own water and cutlery.

I've only been there during the lunchtime period and it's been pretty full, so I've had to take whatever table was available. It's also typically had a high proportion of children, adding to the din.

It could certainly be teething issues, but it's been open since at least last October. I really don't intend on giving it another go tbh, no matter how many new chefs they get. The food is the least of my complaints in this instance.
    Fair enough. I've only ever had hot food there. I didn't find it off-putting that I had to collect my cutlery and water. I guess that others might.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

i have eaten there a few times - and I only do so because the quality of the food is soo good.. its all local artisan produce..

Its self service for cold food because you choose what you want - you see how the food is prepared - personally i prefer this.. for hygiene and you how your sandwich is prepared..

This service works - Nash's is the same and its more than a thriving business..

its a bit more expensive - you pay for what you get,..

and its not self service for hot food - and you get the cool little spoon with your table number on it…
    and the room is fresh and airy..

I think your a little bias?

• Advertisement

sporina wrote: »

I think your a little bias?

Dislike /= bias. I have no bias, I just don't like the place. As I am entitled to :).

Dislike /= bias. I have no bias, I just don't like the place. As I am entitled to :).

so its not cos of the reasons you stated earlier? you just don't like. why didn't you "just" say that!

sporina wrote: »
    so its not cos of the reasons you stated earlier? you just don't like. why didn't you "just" say that!

I don't like it because of the reasons I stated earlier :confused:. I think that was obvious to most people. If I just said "I don't like it" without offering any reasons as to why, it wouldn't be a very constructive or helpful review.

That's all I'm going to say on the matter, because the more people nitpick my opinion, the more it looks like I have some kind of grudge against the place, when it's just not to my tastes for the reasons previously outlined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Guys, seriously, Faith just doesn't like the restaurant, let's move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

pwurple wrote: »

I was there for lunch last week, food was very good I thought. Didn't pay too much attention to the decor so zero marks for observation for me :)

Had one of my favourite desserts on the menu, Affogato, which despite it being so simple is rare to see for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

opus wrote: »
    Had one of my favourite desserts on the menu, Affogato, which despite it being so simple is rare to see for some reason.

Liberty Grill do an excellent one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Called into gogos there for breakfeast and wouldn't be overly impressed nice enough food but very pricey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Milly33 wrote: »
    Called into gogos there for breakfeast and wouldn't be overly impressed nice enough food but very pricey

They don't give prices on their website. Any idea how much the full Irish was or anything else for comparison?

opus wrote: »
    I was there for lunch last week, food was very good I thought. Didn't pay too much attention to the decor so zero marks for observation for me :)

Yeah' the affogato is yummo. Especially with the choc icecream ,and for 3.50, sure how couldyou go wrong.

I was in ECO in douglas for lunch recently as well. Hadn't been in years. Had a nice salad with fruit in it, nantucket salad I think? Was tasty enough anyway. Wasn't as cramped as I remember. Didn't have dessert myself, but they looked very nice and other people seemed to be enjoying them.

• Advertisement

Ludo wrote: »
    They don't give prices on their website. Any idea how much the full Irish was or anything else for comparison?

I know there was a pizza slice or something similar around €10.00 and they had them on them on the counter they didn't look very nice. The omelette aswell was €10.95 I think..Now unless prices have gone up since I last went out but I thought it was a bit much

I know there was a pizza slice or something similar around €10.00 and they had them on them on the counter they didn't look very nice. The omelette aswell was €10.95 I think..Now unless prices have gone up since I last went out but I thought it was a bit much

Pizza for breakfast! :eek::pac:

I've never found it over-priced there because it's nice food and you do seem to get a lot (side salads, etc) but what puts me off at lunch is that it's so hard to get seated and it's quite cramped. Haven't been in a while.

I know were just crazy for pizza, maybe they were changing the boards or something it was up on that..

I ate in Orso on Pembroke Street the other day. I've put off going there because it always looked really healthy :o and I like a bit of decadence when I eat out. But it was lovely! The menu was quite healthy overall, but it was really tasty and decently priced. I got a selection of different salads on the side so that I could try them all, at the suggestion of our lovely waitress, and choose which one is my favourite for future reference. It's a great spot for a light but filling meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I ate in Orso on Pembroke Street the other day. I've put off going there because it always looked really healthy :o and I like a bit of decadence when I eat out. But it was lovely! The menu was quite healthy overall, but it was really tasty and decently priced. I got a selection of different salads on the side so that I could try them all, at the suggestion of our lovely waitress, and choose which one is my favourite for future reference. It's a great spot for a light but filling meal.
    Bang on summation - I've eaten there twice and it's a great spot for a quick bit that won't have you reeling afterwards

My only issue with the place is that it can be tight on space

There's a woman working in Gogo's (the owner, I think) who's very unfriendly. This contrasts the experiences I've had with other staff who seem to be lovely. However, whenever this woman is working there it seems to negatively impact the atmosphere there amongst the staff.

I've been to ORSO quite a bit and I've enjoyed it every time. I'd echo what D'Agger has said about it feeling tight on space when busy.

• Advertisement

It's definitely very small, but we were there at an odd time - 3pm-ish - so it was really quiet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭CCWrestling

Any recommendations for nice restaurant for lunch in Cork City centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Any recommendations for nice restaurant for lunch in Cork City centre?

There's almost 100 pages of recommendations. ;) Are you looking for something specific cuisine or price wise? Couple/family, diet restrictions and so on?

Lemag wrote: »
    There's a woman working in Gogo's (the owner, I think) who's very unfriendly. This contrasts the experiences I've had with other staff who seem to be lovely. However, whenever this woman is working there it seems to negatively impact the atmosphere there amongst the staff.

I've been to ORSO quite a bit and I've enjoyed it every time. I'd echo what D'Agger has said about it feeling tight on space when busy.

Mary-Clare would be her name, yeah she comes across as a bit stand off ish alright.. Like daggers could kill kind of looks but she is nice, used to work with her before just takes a while to warm too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Don't know if it's been mentioned, previously, but a new restaurant has opened where Cafe Bar Deli was - Coqbull (as in Coq = chicken, Bull = beef), I think. Looks nice, but didn't try it as it looked very dark when walking by and it was a gorgeous day outside. Menu seemed mostly burgers (Gourmet-burger-esque perhaps?)

On another note - walking down French Church St. yesterday the place was mobbed, everywhere had an outdoor seating area and each was packed full. Looked great.

• Advertisement

Got a flyer through the door this afternoon for McGettigan's Cookhouse & Bar at the Ambassador Hotel. The menu looks quite nice, so thinking of giving that a try.

Has anyone been there?

Got a flyer through the door this afternoon for McGettigan's Cookhouse & Bar at the Ambassador Hotel. The menu looks quite nice, so thinking of giving that a try.

Has anyone been there?

I think that's a chain... There's an identically named place in dublin. I've been to the dublin one. Twas grand. Burgers, steaks, that kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Mary-Clare would be her name, yeah she comes across as a bit stand off ish alright.. Like daggers could kill kind of looks but she is nice, used to work with her before just takes a while to warm too :)

Great to get your opinion and it's good that her staff like her-it's a plus if staff are being treated well.
    However, I've to agree with the other posters - she isn't the best person to have engaging with customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Has anyone been there?

I know someone who was there recently and they said it was lovely

Yes, we're thinking of giving it a go on Friday. Do you have to reserve, does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

who_me wrote: »
    Don't know if it's been mentioned, previously, but a new restaurant has opened where Cafe Bar Deli was - Coqbull (as in Coq = chicken, Bull = beef), I think. Looks nice, but didn't try it as it looked very dark when walking by and it was a gorgeous day outside. Menu seemed mostly burgers (Gourmet-burger-esque perhaps?)

On another note - walking down French Church St. yesterday the place was mobbed, everywhere had an outdoor seating area and each was packed full. Looked great.
    Yeah saw their facebook page recently - food looks good so must look to pop in at some stage and give it a lash!

anyone had lunch in jaques of late?

Well. We went to McGettigan's for lunch today. Wasn't overly impressed TBH.

The beef carpaccio was off the menu. So were the venison sausages (although they did substitute ordinary pork sausies. My husband said they were nice). The lamb chops I ordered were fine, but no lemon & thyme mash as advertised. Just ordinary mash. And it was dry and tasteless. I'd nearly finished my meal before the mint sauce I'd asked for arrived. The side order of buttered veg arrived stone cold. We had to send them back. My husband had finished his meal before the veg came back! And there was no aioli with the triple-cooked chips as ordered (but the chips were nice). The service although very pleasant, was slow considering there were only four other tables on a Sunday afternoon.

The coffees were good, and the Raspberry Mess my husband ordered was delicious.

But I think these are teething problems which hopefully should be sorted over time. I'll give it a couple of weeks before we try again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JeffDar

Best restaurant in Cork by a distance is Les Gourmandise. Food is as good as Guilbauds in Dublin.

Best kept secret is Hardwood on the North Quays.

Star Anise and Greenes are very good too.

The old favourites like Jacques and Jacobs are usually consistently good.

Of the cheaper places, Il Padrinos, Cornstore and Amicus are very good at what they do.

I'm in Cork 2 years now and my fave is definitely Hardwood...an absolute gem of a place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

JeffDar wrote: »
    I'm in Cork 2 years now and my fave is definitely Hardwood...an absolute gem of a place!

Really? It closed about three years ago.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement