Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

rob316 wrote: »
    It really doesn't, I used to eat in Wagamama for a bit but every dish tasted the exact same, Ramen has some wonderful dishes. Pad thai, Chicken Penang and Chicken Cashew are delicious.

It really does.

btw... Their "Pad Thai" is as far removed from authentic Pad Thai as a noodle dish can be. I can't comment on the other two dishes but I have had the "Singapore noodle" (I think) and as that was the exact same dish as he Pad Thai, I'm sure they're not authentice either.

Saying that... €6 is still a reasonable price for for any old noodle dish even if the quantity of meat is pitiful.

Also my opinion of Wagamamas has increased signifcantly since this place opened. The food is of a far higher standard. at least they know how to cook noodles in Wagamamas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I seriously don't get all the fuss about Ramen. Their food is generic and everything tastes the same, quite bland really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Bit out of the city, but went to a christening party at the Elm Tree, Glounthane. Food there was lovely! Was taken aback by the sheer size of the place - goes all the way back.

It was BBQ food, but it was of good quality and tasty. Restaurant had plenty of space, excellent parking and the service was prompt without being intrusive.

Had a look at their menus and thinking of giving it a proper spin tomorrow for dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yeah, the Elm Tree is nice. I thought it was carvery only at the weekends though?

Had some dim sum during the week in yuan ming yuan. We asked them to recommend this time. Got a scallop & prawn dumpling and some yam stuffed with pork ones. So good. I'd eat my own weight of those scallop things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

pwurple wrote: »
    Yeah, the Elm Tree is nice. I thought it was carvery only at the weekends though?

Had some dim sum during the week in yuan ming yuan. We asked them to recommend this time. Got a scallop & prawn dumpling and some yam stuffed with pork ones. So good. I'd eat my own weight of those scallop things.

Nope! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Heading out for a bite tomorrow night, cant decide between Liberty Grill or Amicus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Heading out for a bite tomorrow night, cant decide between Liberty Grill or Amicus.

Liberty Grill! No comparison, in my opinion; the quality of the food in Liberty is much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

ah man there is no comparison at all - liberty grill of course

Thanks Lads!

Gah! Closed for annual maintenance until Friday.

Any other recommendations for some good quality food? something alone the lines of Liberty Grill/Amicus/Market Lane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Liberty Grill is the single most over rated place I have ever been to.

Oh wow, it's closed anyway, so no worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Any other recommendations for some good quality food? something alone the lines of Liberty Grill/Amicus/Market Lane

You could try Electric? Although not sure you'd get a booking at this stage - they are usually booked up pretty well in advance, but might depend on time you are going too.

I actually can't think of anywhere else! The Woodford is meant to be nice for dinner, they have a new menu of late also - was in there for lunch on Saturday and it was lovely - the only thing is, it's a bar and they only serve till 8pm I think.

gimmick wrote: »
    Liberty Grill is the single most over rated place I have ever been to.

:eek: *sharp intake of breath* :pac:

I'd second Electric, I've had only good meals in there.

You could try Orso. Small restaurant and they don't take bookings so get there early and stick your name down then go for a scoop for half an hour. It's more Mediterranean but good quality food.

I've heard that Jacobs is a good alternative to Market Lane, but I'll be honest, I haven't been myself. This is a review from someone who likes the same restaurants I do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

You could try Coqbull on academy street. I haven't been there yet but I've heard good things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Lemag wrote: »
    You could try Coqbull on academy street. I haven't been there yet but I've heard good things.

It's nice but it's just burgers and chicken.

Lemag wrote: »
    evilivor wrote: »
    It's nice but it's just burgers and chicken.

Yep, giving this a go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Electric don't book out, they apparently keep a percentage of their tables for walk-in customers, so they said the last time I booked a table there. So could be worth a shot but I would go early!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Anywhere in town that serve unusual dishes? I don't mean things like shark or anything like that. I mean creative dishes, unusual ways of serving, creative desserts or interesting structure of dishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Had my first experience in the Hayfield Manor tonight, such an upper class place!

The ambiance and style is amazing, as was the food.

It was almost worth paying the extra to experience the interior itself. Even the bathtroom was amazing!

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Anywhere in town that serve unusual dishes? I don't mean things like shark or anything like that. I mean creative dishes, unusual ways of serving, creative desserts or interesting structure of dishes.

Ivory Tower would be where I'd go for that.

Oysters also do great presentation, mainly seafood.

Cafe Paradiso too, vegetarian.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Does anyone know what time Man Fu House in Ballinlough opens at? I have a craving :o. Haven't eaten in there in years - is it still good?

Faith wrote: »
    Does anyone know what time Man Fu House in Ballinlough opens at? I have a craving :o. Haven't eaten in there in years - is it still good?

It opens at 5, in case any one else is wondering. And it's gone way downhill, IMO :(. My noodles were really stodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Malari wrote: »
    :eek: *sharp intake of breath* :pac:

I'd second Electric, I've had only good meals in there.

You could try Orso. Small restaurant and they don't take bookings so get there early and stick your name down then go for a scoop for half an hour. It's more Mediterranean but good quality food.

I've heard that Jacobs is a good alternative to Market Lane, but I'll be honest, I haven't been myself. This is a review from someone who likes the same restaurants I do!

+ 1 for Orso, if I couldn't go to Liberty Grill I'd go there, great food at great price IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Faith wrote: »
    It opens at 5, in case any one else is wondering. And it's gone way downhill, IMO :(. My noodles were really stodgy.

My parents go there so if I'm visiting we'll sometimes order from there and the last few times I've found the food to be really tasteless. The fried rice in particular tastes of nothing.

My parents go there so if I'm visiting we'll sometimes order from there and the last few times I've found the food to be really tasteless. The fried rice in particular tastes of nothing.

Yep, definitely tasteless. I ordered chicken chow mein and the noodles are overcooked and stodgy, the chicken is really dry and there's next to no vegetables. I had to use loads of soy sauce just to get some flavour, and I still left most of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

I know tisnt a restaurant but still trying to find the best fish and chips or chippy in Cork and tried Lennoxs on McCurtain street yesterday.. Mm I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there nothing major..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Milly33 wrote: »
    I know tisnt a restaurant but still trying to find the best fish and chips or chippy in Cork and tried Lennoxs on McCurtain street yesterday.. Mm I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there nothing major..

You were on McCurtain Street wanting fish and chips and you didn't go to the Fish Wife??.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

:eek: You were on McCurtain St and went to Lennox's, next time do yourself a favour and go to the Fish Wife, it is outstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I was down in Cork back in December and have to say I was very pleasantly surprised by the food. Not that I had low expectations or anything, but three places in particular had food that was not only absolutely delicious and adventurous but looked incredible and was bafflingly well priced.

1. Market Lane. Very busy as has been mentioned but great service e. Lots of pubs on the same street as it so we got in some live music and I got a call to my phone about a half hour later when our table was ready. Both of us had a three course meal that you'd pay an arm and leg for in Dublin, with a beer on my side, a cocktail on hers (house special that's a bit like a pint colds, couldn't recommend it enough) and a glass of house wine with the main for in the region on €60, a little less I think it actually was. 10/10

2. Electric. Again it was incredibly busy so we went to their seafood restaurant, and again it was beautiful. Extremely friendly service, quality food (especially the paella), only "complaints" would be getting stuck on a bench in the corner and that service could have been a tiny bit more organised but again it was far busier than I (and they, according to the waiter) had expected that time of year, seemed like there was some street festival going on outside and I think I noticed two different Christmas parties at the bar downstairs. 8.5/10

3. Corn Store (edit). Only got lunch here before heading back, really classy setting but probably more suited for dinner as it was a Tony bit dark for that time of day but oh my God that Little Piggy Burger was no little piggy! Huge and delicious, worked great with the apple chutney and the sauerkraut was done perfect (it's rare to even find sauerkraut anywhere in Ireland, never mind done well). I could barely finish it and was half asleep on the way back up as a result, but it was worth every bite. 9/10

Good job Cork!

What was your third restaurant Billy, you don't name it?

Glad your experiences were so good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Malari wrote: »
    What was your third restaurant Billy, you don't name it?

Glad your experiences were so good!
    Sorry, was Corn Store. Accident rally had Market Lane as Corn Store originally (it's been a while) so forgot to edit #3 when I made the switch. It's pretty much right across the road from a pub called The Raven (really busy place so I assume it's well known?).

Hadn't been to Cork since I was a kid, it's some job you lads have done with Patrick Street!

Yep well to be honest I have gone to the Fish Wife and we have found only one thing there is worth the effort and that is the Smoked Haddock and Chips. Tried the squid and that's nothing to write home about, and the Guinness batter fish again nothing whoop whoop..

Just said wed try Lennoxs as we heard people going on about it but ne tis a fail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just said wed try Lennoxs as we heard people going on about it but ne tis a fail

It's Lennox's on Bandon Road that has the great (imo, undeserved) reputation.

Oh ok, sure aren't they all the same..Bandon is way too far out to go ill stick the hunt

• Advertisement

Oh ok, sure aren't they all the same..Bandon is way too far out to go ill stick the hunt

It's the Bandon Road - near UCC....

Ah now this is like the Barrack Street black hole isn't it.. Still they would be cold by the time we get home haha

They're different Lennox's though, different owners - as far as I'm aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Tis on the Bandon road, not in Bandon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

leahyl wrote: »
    They're different Lennox's though, different owners - as far as I'm aware.

Yeah, the Bandon road one is Jackie Lennox's and the other one is CF lennox's and that's the chain. There's only one Jackie Lennox's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭AshAdele

Eat in the charcoal grill (use to be the Bierhall) on popes key on Saturday night.

they have kept the majority of the old menu but have added a few new things to it.
    we have nachos to start which were very nice.
    my partner had the pulled pork roll which he said was very good. i have the ribs.

the ribs tasted good and were cooked well but sadly the portion size was tiny, maybe i was unlucky but it seemed to be 70% bone 30% meat.

can anyone recommend a good place that does ribs in the city? i can only think of the charcoal grill and luigi malones. sadly any time i have ordered ribs in luigis i have been disappointed by over cooked dry ribs.

Just popped into a new place in Blackrock Village. Presto it's called. Opened yesterday, no sign up yet even, it's next to Taste Of Italy. Opens at 8am they said! They do icecream, sandwiches and salad I think. Plus coffee maybe. Cute looking place.

I was in the tea rooms in Douglas last week. It's a gorgeous setting and the cakes look fab. I ordered a spiced beef sandwich on a bap. Sadly, when it arrived, the bap was as stale as old boots and the beef was COVERED in horseradish sauce. I had to scrape a lot of it off, and it still burnt the mouth off me. Later, my friend ordered a cappuccino and it took about 15 minutes to arrive. She went in to remind them after about 5 minutes, and it still took another 10.

I wouldn't be rushing to eat there again on the basis of disappointing food and service, but it's still a lovely place if you're just after a cake and tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

The Tea Rooms used to be much better but they seem to have gone downhill a good bit around the same time La Lavanda closed; hopefully they'll improve again when that reopens as it is a nice place in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Ate at The Ivory Tower last weekend. Went for the 8 course Japanese Tasting menu and it was fantastic. Each course was so different. The tuna was my favourite. Highly recommended!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Is Lavanda re-opening? Douglas is getting a bit ridiculous in terms of the number of restaurants in a relatively small area. Great to have lots of options - if there's enough business for them all to stay open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Don't know if Lavanda is opening but someone has taken over the old Bullys - think it opened in the last couple weeks.

I also heard a rumour that Wetherspoons are taking over the old TSB building ? Whatever about restaurants I would have thought that the last thing Douglas needed was another pub! Especially one that serves food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

who_me wrote: »
    Is Lavanda re-opening? ...
    They have signs stuck in the window saying they're opening soon
    Karmella wrote: »
    Don't know if Lavanda is opening but someone has taken over the old Bullys - think it opened in the last couple weeks.
    The new place is an Italian called Marcello's https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marcellos-of-Douglas/826586010687798
    Karmella wrote: »
    I also heard a rumour that Wetherspoons are taking over the old TSB building ? Whatever about restaurants I would have thought that the last thing Douglas needed was another pub! Especially one that serves food.
    Haven't heard anything about that but if Wetherspoons took over the old TSB and put a beer garden in the carpark at the back they could do nicely out of it as there aren't really any beer gardens in the village.

Bullys were in the bad books for crap food and Italian are now in it for not answering their reply to looking for staff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

JohnK wrote: »
    The new place is an Italian called Marcello's https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marcellos-of-Douglas/826586010687798

Ate there last week and was very happy with the food. Enjoyed the seafood pizza and the wife enjoyed her pasta dish (sorry cant remember for the life of me what it was). Kids enjoyed their dishes also. Floor staff were quite obviously new and inexperienced but still did fine and we will be going back this weekend.
    Wouldn't class it as fine dining by any means (bit then it isn't meant to be). It is a nice reasonably priced family restaurant.

Are there really that many options in Douglas? Restaurants I mean now..not pub food. There is Marcellos, Eco, El Vino, Rose Garden and.....ermmm...McDonalds? Yes I am leaving out Indian restaurant..I really dont like Indian food :D

I am probably missing loads.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement