Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

fin12 wrote: »
    So moving to level 3. How hard is it going to be now to get a booking as restaurants/bars and cafes can only have max 15 seating outside.

I think the bigger issue will be the number of places that will just close during restrictions. Certainly for anything bigger than a cafe, they would struggle to cover costs

Most places will close unless they have a decent take-away trade, it's effectively winter ............ very few people interested in eating outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

If u read the chart, it actually says indoor is allowed but with extra restrictions.

Why can’t the government clarify what this actually means?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,260 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If u read the chart, it actually says indoor is allowed but with extra restrictions.

They did, we have moved to level 3 the same as Donegal and these are the additonal restrictions. They are effectively closed
    restaurants and cafes (including bars/pubs serving food/wet pubs) may remain open for take-away and delivery and outdoor dining/service to an absolute maximum of 15 people. Wet pubs in Dublin remain closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Harika

Wondering if the tent at the castle in glanmire counts as outdoor m that looks heatable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I really feel for restaurants.
    A few months ago designing and implementing takeaway options must have seemed like an exciting challenge, then they got to move on and reopen.
    The idea of going back to that takeaway model with the novelty gone for both the customer and the supplier must be heartbreaking.
    I suspect that many who offered takeaway a few months ago just won't bother this time around.

Yes, I think it's the level 3 in Dublin and donegal though that is now nationwide which was level 3 with additional restrictions........ ie restaurants and pubs are at level 4.

Perhaps the additonal restrictions at level 3 are for hotel residents, ie you need to be resident to dine there.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/level-3-means-50-000-bar-staff-face-losing-jobs-publicans-warn-1.4373394

"Nationwide restrictions limiting all pubs and restaurants to outdoor seating and a maximum of 15 customers will be an effective closure order for many struggling businesses, industry groups have said...........Under Level 3 measures wet pubs, restaurants, cafes and bars serving food can remain open for take-away, delivery, and outdoor dining/services to a maximum of 15 people. Indoor dining is not allowed"

It's certainly looks like level 4 to me for restaurants.

would anyone mind if they have time to list all the pubs in the city that have outdoor areas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Anyone try "Wild" in Ballinspittle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Which restaurants offer the best take away value/quality? Reluctant to pay 15 or 20 euros for a main course only for it to be soggy and lukewarm when I go to eat it.

Was thinking of getting White Rabbit, anyone gotten take away from them recently?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

siblers wrote: »
    Which restaurants offer the best take away value/quality? Reluctant to pay 15 or 20 euros for a main course only for it to be soggy and lukewarm when I go to eat it.

Was thinking of getting White Rabbit, anyone gotten take away from them recently?

Thanks

Iyer's meal for one is ridiculously good value.
    €15 - it feeds both myself and Mrs. Beer.
    (we are fairly small eaters, but still.....)

Iyer's meal for one is ridiculously good value.
    €15 - it feeds both myself and Mrs. Beer.
    (we are fairly small eaters, but still.....)

Been meaning to try them, nice one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Thanks
    Haven't had take away but ate there a few times of late - the hot one is a dinger of a burger I'd highly recommend going for that if you do take the plunge...let me know how you get on I'll likely follow suit!

D'Agger wrote: »
    Haven't had take away but ate there a few times of late - the hot one is a dinger of a burger I'd highly recommend going for that if you do take the plunge...let me know how you get on I'll likely follow suit!

They don't do chips oddly enough which is the only downside but might just get some fancy McCain chips instead and throw them in the oven. Their burgers do sound nice though

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

They don't do chips oddly enough which is the only downside but might just get some fancy McCain chips instead and throw them in the oven. Their burgers do sound nice though

get these - from Aldi, as good if not better and at a lovely price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

This is going to be a disaster for retail too. If I’m shopping in town at the weekend and it starts raining I’ll usually run in somewhere for a quick coffee until it passes.
    That option is now gone and the queues everywhere means there won’t be anywhere to get shelter if the weather turns.

I was planning on going into town Saturday but I won’t bother now in case I get stuck outside in the rain somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Tiger20

The best fish and chips I ever had by a long shot was at long strand outside Clonakilty.
    The freshest fish and great batter, with excellent chips, expensive but well worth it

Have you tried Catch of the Day by the bridge in Kinsale? I would hold judgement til you have, try the kiblings, small pieces in batter, portions big enough for two unless you’re starving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I really feel for restaurants.
    A few months ago designing and implementing takeaway options must have seemed like an exciting challenge, then they got to move on and reopen.
    The idea of going back to that takeaway model with the novelty gone for both the customer and the supplier must be heartbreaking.
    I suspect that many who offered takeaway a few months ago just won't bother this time around.

Appreciate not Cork but was talking with JP McMahon in Galway yesterday & he was saying his restaurant Kai would lose €8k a month if he closed completely, if he did takeaway (he doesn't have outdoor eating) he would "only" lose €4.5k a month.... thats the reality of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Tiger20 wrote: »
    Have you tried Catch of the Day by the bridge in Kinsale? I would hold judgement til you have, try the kiblings, small pieces in batter, portions big enough for two unless you’re starving!

I did actually just a few weeks before, and I got the kibling as it was all they had left!
    It was good, but I found it very greasy tbh, I might have caught them at a bad time as it was nearly all they had left so maybe the oil was a bit tired or something, but I'll certainly be giving it another try as I've heard rave reviews.

The Fish Basket was way ahead thou comparing both, I'd expect it for the price difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Thanks

Well, what kind of food and where are you going to eat it? Have you a kitchen to reheat things? Every thai/indian/chinese/pizza/noodle/chipper place does take-away for cheap if that's what you are asking about.

If you're looking for fancier, greenes is 30 euro for two people two course I think, cafe paradiso is starting up their cook-at-home again as well. Spitjack was doing that, and glass curtain is good there too.

If it's lunch, Sonny's deli does an enormous salad box at lunchtime for 7 quid which feeds 2 or 3 people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,260 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Debub wrote: »
    get these - from Aldi, as good if not better and at a lovely price

They discontinued them unfortunately :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭limnam

Tiger20 wrote: »
    Have you tried Catch of the Day by the bridge in Kinsale?

Have never tasted anything as good anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭sporina

rob316 wrote: »
    They discontinued them unfortunately :(

i HATE when products you like are discontinued grr

thats life I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

sporina wrote: »
    i HATE when products you like are discontinued grr

thats life I guess

Still loads of them in my nearest 2 Aldi's :-)

only thing is that both are approx 30 kms from me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Yeah they'd a load in Blackpool yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

limnam wrote: »
    Have never tasted anything as good anywhere.
    When my mrs was pregnant with the second child, we'd have to go there at least once a fortnight! Gorgeous fish and chips, nicer than anywhere i've ever gotten it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Can't get through to fransiscan well. Anybody know if you can dine in this eve? In the outside area of course.

Can't get through to fransiscan well. Anybody know if you can dine in this eve? In the outside area of course.

Have u tried emailing and using the online booking system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,173 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I find facebook is the place these days to find put information.
    They are open and taking walk ins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Has anybody went to KCs recently.. I fell the quality has dropped significantly. The chips don't taste as good and the chicken in the pitta is too big and dry. Way too much chicken in there as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement