Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭siblers

BruteStock wrote: »
    Has anybody went to KCs recently.. I fell the quality has dropped significantly. The chips don't taste as good and the chicken in the pitta is too big and dry. Way too much chicken in there as well.

KCs has been ****e for years. I've no idea why there is so much hype. Their pittas are drenched in mayo and lettuce, felt ill last two times I ate there due to all the mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

BruteStock wrote: »
    Has anybody went to KCs recently.. I fell the quality has dropped significantly. The chips don't taste as good and the chicken in the pitta is too big and dry. Way too much chicken in there as well.

We stopped going because their pulled pork became mainly fat and gristle. Significant decline in quality from a meat perspective
    (I never get the pittas) just liked it as a chipper

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Got a lovely takeaway meal from Tedo. And they have lovely bottles of sangari to get with ur meal aswell. Would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

fin12 wrote: »
    Got a lovely takeaway meal from Tedo. And they have lovely bottles of sangari to get with ur meal aswell. Would recommend.

I’ve eaten there before and didn’t rate it at all tbh!
    That was a good two years ago I’d say though

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

fin12 wrote: »

I love that place, their empanadas are to die for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭sporina

Bag of chips from Frank's take away Carraigtwohill... yum yum yum... divine..
    Proper chips!!!!!

Consumed while walking down the street during the day on a bank holiday Monday.. a 1st for me.. lol.. it took a pandemic ekk.. a silver lining though..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭dobman88

Hi guys, looking for a recommendation for a fancy restaurant where I can buy a voucher. It's a graduation present for my sister and her housemate, both graduated but obviously no party or anything so I want to treat them to a nice meal when the restaurants reopen again. They're living walking distance to city centre location wise.

Have looked for Michelin star and only seems to be one place in cork called Ichigo Ichie which did look nice tbf. Does anyone have any recommendations along those lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭sporina

dobman88 wrote: »
    Hi guys, looking for a recommendation for a fancy restaurant where I can buy a voucher. It's a graduation present for my sister and her housemate, both graduated but obviously no party or anything so I want to treat them to a nice meal when the restaurants reopen again. They're living walking distance to city centre location wise.

Have looked for Michelin star and only seems to be one place in cork called Ichigo Ichie which did look nice tbf. Does anyone have any recommendations along those lines?

Hayfield Manor - thats a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

sporina wrote: »
    Hayfield Manor - thats a treat

Lovely hotel, but their food isn't really up to par. It's not bad, just no-where near what you'd expect. There's really very little in Cork City, Ichigo is fabulous though.

How tied are they to Cork? Cliff House hotel in Waterford would be the obvious choice for me with the Michelin star. I will say, I rated it higher when Martijn Kajuiter was running the restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Michelin star ,? Chestnut in ballydehob , or ichigo ichie ( japanese food ) , bastion in kinsale ,.I think thats it ...
    But there are some other fine dining restaurants in cork ,. greenes on maccurtain street ,
    or the glass curtain is supposed to be really good ( haven't tried it yet )
    Pigalle on barrack street is up there food wise ,but not super formal ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Paradiso is a very good vegetarian restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Two graduates living in the city won't want to travel too far.

Glass Curtain, Greenes are both nice on that side of the city.

Towards college direction (assuming they live there...) Cafe Paradiso would be my choice. I think Hayfield manor is nice, but maybe for an older couple rather than recent students.

Ichigo ichi is amazing, but can be very challenging for anyone who isn't an adventurous eater! You'd want to know they like japanese food and eating new things.

And then there's the Elbow Lane / Market Lane / Goldies / Orso group. They might do a voucher that covers all of those?

pwurple wrote: »
    And then there's the Elbow Lane / Market Lane / Goldies / Orso group. They might do a voucher that covers all of those?

They do afaik :)

On Glass Curtain: Their finish at home menu is superb; well worth a try and the veg option is usually serious value. Between this lockdown and the last, we've had four different meals now and I can't rate them highly enough. Also had Ichigo's F@H, which was expensive (expected), but extremely tasty.

Surprised that there’s no real talk of the various options restaurants are offering at the moment.

pwurple wrote: »
    Two graduates living in the city won't want to travel too far.

Glass Curtain, Greenes are both nice on that side of the city.

Towards college direction (assuming they live there...) Cafe Paradiso would be my choice. I think Hayfield manor is nice, but maybe for an older couple rather than recent students.

Ichigo ichi is amazing, but can be very challenging for anyone who isn't an adventurous eater! You'd want to know they like japanese food and eating new things.

That's it yeah. They dont drive so itll be staying close to home. I liked the look of Greenes actually before asking here so may go with that.

As much as I'd love Ichigo Ichi, I'm not sure theyd love it so dont want to risk it and while I have no doubt Hayfield is amazing, it's more something I'd buy for my parents.

Thanks all for the suggestions, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

OP, I really don't think Green's is half as good as it thinks it is .

For me there is only a list of 3 fine dining restaurants in Cork city:
    Ichigo Ichie, Paradiso and The Glass Curtain.

OP, I really don't think Green's is half as good as it thinks it is .

For me there is only a list of 3 fine dining restaurants in Cork city:
    Ichigo Ichie, Paradiso and The Glass Curtain.

Fair enough. Why would you say that? Reviews look good?

Fair enough. Why would you say that? Reviews look good?

Been a few times and I've found it a bit hit and miss.
    Some plates great, some plates - what were they thinking?

I just don't think it has the finesse and cooking quality of the others I mentioned - just not in the same league as far as I'm concerned.

For similar money, I think The Glass Curtain is considerably better.

Ok, cheers. Taking all this on board to chat with the missus tonight and hopefully get them a nice present after a hard final year for them with the virus and all.

Ok, cheers. Taking all this on board to chat with the missus tonight and hopefully get them a nice present after a hard final year for them with the virus and all.

Much as I love Ichigo Ichie, it isn't for everyone.

I'd be inclined to go for Paridiso because many people would dismiss it because it's vegetarian - if they get a gift of a voucher they'll have to go and won't be disappointed:D

My only time in The Glass Curtain, I thought it was excellent from start to finish.

• Advertisement

Been a few times and I've found it a bit hit and miss.
    Some plates great, some plates - what were they thinking?

I just don't think it has the finesse and cooking quality of the others I mentioned - just not in the same league as far as I'm concerned.

For similar money, I think The Glass Curtain is considerably better.

Greene's for me, feels like they just miss the mark with silly mistakes and inattention to detail... and some odd choices. Had the 10 course tasting menu and a three course during the summer and while there's some excellent cookery, there's also a few head scratchers. Over cooked scallops, a dessert that's just mush with no textural element, rock hard carrots etc. They just don't have (as you said) the finesse and consistency to be up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I agree on Greenes. Was only there once & was wondering what the fuss was about.

Glass Curtain, I want to try. I had their eat at home thing and it was nice but not amazing. But eating in I think will be better than takeaway.

Cork has a lot of nice restaurants but thinking about it, there’s not many that could be called special. Shame really.

The Market Lane group voucher is a good idea because they’ll have a choice of four places.

Somewhere I’ve liked in the past is Jacobs On The Mall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

On Glass Curtain: Their finish at home menu is superb; well worth a try and the veg option is usually serious value. Between this lockdown and the last, we've had four different meals now and I can't rate them highly enough. Also had Ichigo's F@H, which was expensive (expected), but extremely tasty.

Surprised that there’s no real talk of the various options restaurants are offering at the moment.

We've had some finish at homes ones over the last 6 months, and I've been really impressed. I saw ichigo's one, and it looked like a REALLY expensive bowl of soup! (€60?) What was it like?

Greene's was fab, had it a couple of times for our birthdays etc but their menu isn't changing enough for me to go back for more now.
    Glass curtain was great too, similar enough to greenes. Fish or slow cooked red meat, plus a veg option.
    Paradiso was gorgeous, I had some find of feta & grain cake on a bed of peppers and kale, with a sauce around it. Complete flavour explosion, was my favourite.

I see Cask is doing more of a take-away rather than finish at home.

Sage (midleton) and Farmgate are both doing more family-style ones. Shepards pies, stews, lasange etc.

Anyone else?

We've decided on Ichigo Ichie. My missus was talking to my Mam and she said that she loves Japanese food and made it whenever she was visiting home. So that settled it.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I have a few to try out next time I'm in town now. Appreciated.

The Glass Curtain is very nice, the food was very nice indeed. It's a bit pricey for the portion size but it was very, very tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Tried a burger and chips from Fat Badgers there by UCC gates yesterday.

Slightly pricey (imo, I didn't get the meal deal, which is very much worth it in retrospect) but absolutely delicious. Fresh food, freshly made, lovely salty, crispy, fluffy chips. Will be back for sure.

Had a burger from there at lunchtime today, tasty for sure. The Green Frog right by it has good sandwiches as well so quite the choice in that little spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

in the past week have had lunch take away from english market sandwich stall, coqbull and arthur maynes.

all very nice. arthur maynes only one to put napkins and a handwipe into the takeaway bag. its the small things like that make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭ThePott

opus wrote: »
    Had a burger from there at lunchtime today, tasty for sure. The Green Frog right by it has good sandwiches as well so quite the choice in that little spot.
    Really wanna try Fat Badgers, don't see any mention of a meal deal for them online though. Seems a bit pricey, how would it compare to a Bunsen or Son of a Bun?

ThePott wrote: »
    Really wanna try Fat Badgers, don't see any mention of a meal deal for them online though. Seems a bit pricey, how would it compare to a Bunsen or Son of a Bun?

9 euro for a 4oz burger seems crazy expensive

• Advertisement

On Fat Badgers page on JustEat they give the option of vegan cheese with pizza, does anyone know of any other places that give the option of having vegan cheese or even the option to have it without cheese?

I've checked a few places and there doesn't seem to be any option for either. Not ideal if you have a dairy intolerance but fancy some pizza

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement