Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

sporina wrote: »
    correction - the goujons from Sober Lane! death row stuff...

Had them for the first time last night as well, unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭sporina

TheChizler wrote: »

wow cool... and the "secret" sauce.. hmm ... the perfect accompaniment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

TheChizler wrote: »

Jeeze need to try these goujons , do u get chips with them?

fin12 wrote: »
    Jeeze need to try these goujons , do u get chips with them?

You definitely need to try them... you can order chips too - they are lovely.. skin on.. and come with aioli...

They have a great ordering system for collection (I advise you collect to maximise freshness)..

You order via their website and you can choose collection time..

You definitely need to try them... you can order chips too - they are lovely.. skin on.. and come with aioli...

They have a great ordering system for collection (I advise you collect to maximise freshness)..

You order via their website and you can choose collection time..

Thanks, got them tonight. Ya really nice, definitely can understand all the ranting and raving about them. I also got a free cocktail when collecting my order cause the staff working there had cocktails left over. Really lovely staff.

• Advertisement

Thanks, got them tonight. Ya really nice, definitely can understand all the ranting and raving about them. I also got a free cocktail when collecting my order cause the staff working there had cocktails left over. Really lovely staff.

ehhh delighted you enjoyed them.. and you got a free cocktail - happy days..
    did you get chips with Aioli?

ehhh delighted you enjoyed them.. and you got a free cocktail - happy days..
    did you get chips with Aioli?

Ya I got the chips but I didn’t want the aioli. So ya was very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Booked a table in Liberty Grill on Monday for next Monday (07/12), as they were unsurprisingly totally booked out for this weekend. Got a call on Tuesday to say that, due to staff shortage, they would not be opening next Monday so had to change my booking to Tuesday. Got a call today (Wednesday) to say that "due to unforeseen circumstances" they would not be opening on Mon, Tue, Wed before Christmas. Fri and Sat were totally booked (they don't open on Sundays) so I was left with Thurs 17/12 or nothing!

Looks like the waiting staff, on PUP, didn't fancy coming back to work for Christmas for fear of losing their PUP when the inevitable lockdown happens in January. Must be infuriating for the owners, open 3 days per week in the run-up to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Booked a table in Liberty Grill on Monday for next Monday (07/12), as they were unsurprisingly totally booked out for this weekend. Got a call on Tuesday to say that, due to staff shortage, they would not be opening next Monday so had to change my booking to Tuesday. Got a call today (Wednesday) to say that "due to unforeseen circumstances" they would not be opening on Mon, Tue, Wed before Christmas. Fri and Sat were totally booked (they don't open on Sundays) so I was left with Thurs 17/12 or nothing!

Looks like the waiting staff, on PUP, didn't fancy coming back to work for Christmas for fear of losing their PUP when the inevitable lockdown happens in January. Must be infuriating for the owners, open 3 days per week in the run-up to Christmas.

Disgrace....I'm on the pup and cannot wait to start back Friday even if it is just for Christmas. I believe the employer can report a staff member for refusing to come back as the payment is only valid if your job isn't available which it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Yep I got the same call for a Wednesday night. Such a pity. Wasn't anything else available then that we could make.Nice bit of business being lost there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

byronbay2 wrote: »

Perhaps if they kept them on the wage subsidy instead of letting them go, they wouldn't be in this position.
    I know Paradiso kept on all their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

That’s common all over town. Lots of places that are “taking Christmas off” have no staff.. they let them all go and now are crawling back offering them their old jobs and people have no interest. Kinda don’t blame the staff when they are getting 350 at home or probably get around 400 for 40 odd hours made up mostly at evenings and weekends. Ran off their feet in December and lose their jobs in January if we go into lockdown again then

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, seen a lot of places closing Mondays and Tuesdays over the next few weeks and closed several days over Christmas (Amicus for example are closed 25th,26th,27th,28th and the 1st)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just got sober Lane goujons for the first time. Amazing. Didn't expect them to have a curryish flavour, but they were nice and big and full of chicken which was great. 100% will get it again. Edit: really juicey too!

Just got sober Lane goujons for the first time. Amazing. Didn't expect them to have a curryish flavour, but they were nice and big and full of chicken which was great. 100% will get it again. Edit: really juicey too!

woo hoo

glad you enjoyed... yeah they are quality!!!!

Ah here.

Anyone been to Brick lane recently? What’s the food like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Anyone been to Brick lane recently? What’s the food like?

I wonder are the goujons any good... :pac:

Food in Brick Lane is very nice, would recommend. Staff very nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

After all the talk here I indulged last night aswell. Wow, savage. So much for 6.50, I was stuffed! Very unexpected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

My intrigue levels going through the roof.

Someone mentioned that the famous gougons were curry flavoured. Is this true?

Sound rather unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Sound rather unpleasant.

I don't recall them being curry-isn, but that would not be a drawback for me.

We ate out in Okura last night, in Douglas. We had a late enough table, but the place was evidently struggling staff wise. Delays were not insignificant, and food came to the table super adhoc (so one person might get food and it was 10 mins till the next person got it). Food was okay, but I speak as someone not super into Japanese food so I played it safe with a katsu curry. I would be willing to give it another chance. The place is well put together, and they have 2-3 chef stations on the floor to cook the food so it can be a good experience.

Karmella wrote: »
    After all the talk here I indulged last night aswell. Wow, savage. So much for 6.50, I was stuffed! Very unexpected.

yeah such great value for money.. but its the quality - proper moist chicken and a delicious crunchy coating.. did you get chips too? we did - made pigs of ourselves.. delish..

Sound rather unpleasant.

yeah there is a mild curry flavour of them.. delish hmm

if you don't like curry then perhaps they are not for you..

yeah such great value for money.. but its the quality - proper moist chicken and a delicious crunchy coating.. did you get chips too? we did - made pigs of ourselves.. delish..

Have u had the chicken gougon burger? I’m thinking to get the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

I did get the chips but because it was Deliveroo they weren’t great - I should’ve known better chips are always bad when delivered - anyway I had no room for them in my tummy anyway :D I just used the aioli for the goujons instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Lunch in good day deli today, really lovely
    Had the fish tacos,divine. They had a little market there aswell. Just such a pleasant day! Was great to be out and about in the city.

Have u had the chicken gougon burger? I’m thinking to get the next time.

no i'd never be able for that... it looks gigantic..
    Karmella wrote: »
    I did get the chips but because it was Deliveroo they weren’t great - I should’ve known better chips are always bad when delivered - anyway I had no room for them in my tummy anyway :D I just used the aioli for the goujons instead.

awe ok - yeah I deliberately collected my food from Sober Lane for that very reason

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I also jumped on the sober lane bandwagon this weekend and it lived up to the recommendations here, it was savage! I got the buffalo chicken burger, it was honestly to die for and I wouldn’t usually be a big burger fan, the sauce was delicious and the goujons were as good as everyone has been saying. The dip that came with the chips was top notch too.

I also went to Clancys over the weekend and was unfortunately left very disappointed. I got the turkey & ham sandwich, expecting fresh thick cut carvery style meat but it was more like the thin pre-sliced stuff you’d buy in a supermarket to put in your work lunch.
    I was extremely underwhelmed, I’ve gotten nicer sandwiches from the fridge in Tesco and think €7.50 just for a sandwich using that kind of meat with no chips etc is very expensive.
    Service and drinks were great but thought for a lunch special the sandwich could have been a lot better.

• Advertisement

Rfrip wrote: »
    Lunch in good day deli today, really lovely
    Had the fish tacos,divine. They had a little market there aswell. Just such a pleasant day! Was great to be out and about in the city.

did you like the tortillas? I was there for lunch a while back and while the fish was nice we thought that the tortillas were v unpleasant.. i gather they are made from a v particular type of flour.. might be nice to some but not for our palette ekk ..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement