Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Since you're all on about Sober Lane, any idea why no pizzas? Would have thought that would be something they'd offer for collection but doesn't appear for order. Just going there for goujons or wings (not really a burger fan) seems meh for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

sporina wrote: »
    did you like the tortillas? I was there for lunch a while back and while the fish was nice we thought that the tortillas were v unpleasant.. i gather they are made from a v particular type of flour.. might be nice to some but not for our palette ekk ..

You know I wasn’t gone on the tortillas either! The chips are gorge though.

I think getting charged for ketchup is nuts tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

sporina wrote: »
    did you like the tortillas? I was there for lunch a while back and while the fish was nice we thought that the tortillas were v unpleasant.. i gather they are made from a v particular type of flour.. might be nice to some but not for our palette ekk ..

I wonder are they genuine Mexican corn tortillas ? They are very different to the tortillas we are used here, they are thicker and there’s a kind of powdery texture to them? I lived with a Mexican girl before and she had them - I wasn’t really a fan either ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭sporina

Karmella wrote: »
    I wonder are they genuine Mexican corn tortillas ? They are very different to the tortillas we are used here, they are thicker and there’s a kind of powdery texture to them? I lived with a Mexican girl before and she had them - I wasn’t really a fan either ...

they are just made from a particular type of corn.. can't rem the exact name of it now.. i've travelled around Mexico and they can vary in taste depending on the corn used but man, never had any as "distinctive" as those from GDD..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's probably masa harina, a cornmeal used for tortillas that's been soaked in bicarb or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

pwurple wrote: »
    It's probably masa harina, a cornmeal used for tortillas that's been soaked in bicarb or similar.

I think they are blue corn soft tacos. (although I haven't been in over a year).
    The couple of times I've had them I loved them and wondered where I could get them.
    It's very hard to find soft tacos in Cork - I'm not crazy about the regular tortillas/wraps you can commonly get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

the more i think of it, is it not crazy getting charged 75 cents for ketchup?

im coming down off my eating out buzz now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Rfrip wrote: »

That’s bad form to be honest. People are losing the run of themselves. Before you know it they will be charging for salt and pepper :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

I had lunch in the Imperial. It was very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

For those heading out, don't forget to ask for your receipt for the Stay & Spend Scheme, which is still active. Minimum spend of €25 (ex alcohol it seems - when I did it in October, it deducted the amount of alcohol from the total), and you get maximum tax relief of €125, which you can claim in the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Pen Rua wrote: »
    For those heading out, don't forget to ask for your receipt for the Stay & Spend Scheme, which is still active. Minimum spend of €25 (ex alcohol it seems - when I did it in October, it deducted the amount of alcohol from the total), and you get maximum tax relief of €125, which you can claim in the new year.

Thanks for this, I was not aware of it!

And there is an app for saving receipts:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/online-services/support/mobile-and-desktop-applications/index.aspx

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Thanks for this, I was not aware of it!

And there is an app for saving receipts:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/online-services/support/mobile-and-desktop-applications/index.aspx

It was launched in the Autumn, and started on 1 October - just as restrictions started tightening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭sporina

I think they are blue corn soft tacos. (although I haven't been in over a year).
    The couple of times I've had them I loved them and wondered where I could get them.
    It's very hard to find soft tacos in Cork - I'm not crazy about the regular tortillas/wraps you can commonly get.

just did some research - they are "blanco nino corn tortillas".. made in Clonmel..
    Rfrip wrote: »

yeah its mental - 75p for ketchup/mayo - but its cos they are "homemade".. I dunno.. the food is € enough to cover the cost of their homemade condiments I think..

i enjoyed my experience there - the weather was savage which really enhanced the great setting - and we went on culture day and did the tour of the museum.. so a great time had.. but I wouldn't be going back for food..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

the looks impressive in fairness - https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/pictures-take-look-inside-corks-19413972

Some cool views of the city !

whatever76 wrote: »
    the looks impressive in fairness - https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/pictures-take-look-inside-corks-19413972

Some cool views of the city !

Is there any connection to The Mayson in Dublin / Press Up Group? The decor, style, experience, vibe all just look in the same vein as The Mayson.

EDIT: There is indeed. It’s owned by the Press Up Group. https://pressup.ie/press-up-hotels/

I ate at The Mayson pre lockdown, and was due to stay there but COVID ended that. From what I recall, it was exceptionally expensive for what it was. Let’s see how it translates to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

https://sophies.ie/menus/

Does look a bit pricey!
    If it weren’t for the views probably wouldn’t even consider going.
    It’ll do well at the start, just out of people’s curiosity. But food will have to be good for repeat customers once the novelty wares off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

4 euro for toast. You'd buy two artisan loaves for that. Joke.
    Ridiculously priced

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    https://sophies.ie/menus/

Does look a bit pricey!
    If it weren’t for the views probably wouldn’t even consider going.
    It’ll do well at the start, just out of people’s curiosity. But food will have to be good for repeat customers once the novelty wares off.
    €17 for a full Irish? Get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Harika

Tried to get booking there, booked out until 2021, milking it while they can.

Went to daycent lunch at the Mayfield petrol station recently, good enough burger but lacking of meat.

Harika wrote: »
    Tried to get booking there, booked out until 2021, milking it while they can.

<snip>

They are also applying a 12.5% service charge to tables of 6 or more, which is the max table permitted between now and the end of the year and seems to be the most common party size.

The menu has brunch/lunch prices for breakfast, dinner prices for lunch and then dinner is dinner and some.

As I said, I ate the The Mayson version of the rooftop bar not long after it opened for a corporate lunch. The experience was okay and one should give it the benefit of the doubt since it was literally two days before the schools were ordered to close. It was cold, empty with no atmosphere (we were the only table).

I can see it doing well if / when offices around the area reopen. My office is down that direction and it would be nice not to have to go as far into town. But I don't think I would be going on my own cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

The boom is back! Invest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

4 euro for toast. You'd buy two artisan loaves for that. Joke.
    Ridiculously priced

It's 2.95 for toast, where are you seeing 4 euro?

That's still a crazy price, don't get me wrong, but are you looking at the right page?

That's still a crazy price, don't get me wrong, but are you looking at the right page?

Sorry I was in bed falling asleep when I was posting with no glasses on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd also love to know where you'd get an artisan loaf for €2 !!

I'd also love to know where you'd get an artisan loaf for €2 !!

See above post.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Pen Rua wrote: »
    They are also applying a 12.5% service charge to tables of 6 or more, which is the max table permitted between now and the end of the year and seems to be the most common party size.

The menu has brunch/lunch prices for breakfast, dinner prices for lunch and then dinner is dinner and some.

As I said, I ate the The Mayson version of the rooftop bar not long after it opened for a corporate lunch. The experience was okay and one should give it the benefit of the doubt since it was literally two days before the schools were ordered to close. It was cold, empty with no atmosphere (we were the only table).

I can see it doing well if / when offices around the area reopen. My office is down that direction and it would be nice not to have to go as far into town. But I don't think I would be going on my own cash.

I have a booking for Sophie’s in January cause after reading the rooftop views and didn’t look at the menu , ya pretty expensive , might still cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

See above post.

Even though the price is wrong you had still said you can get 2 loaves of artisan bread for €4 so Beer is just asking where to find a €2 loaf of artisan bread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

The Brook Inn Glanmire

Very nice food, most importantly. Got a burger & can’t remember having one as tasty in a long time. Cheesecake was good too.

They’ve two menus at the moment. An “Early Bird” which runs all night long and another set menu. First one is €30 for 2 courses (actually €29.95 to make it look cheaper) or €35 for 3 courses. The other one is €32 & €37. So only €2 discount for “Early Bird”.

Some of the dishes are the same on both menus & no a la carte. Can’t pay for items individually, if you wanted only a main. Burger + Cheesecake for €30 is pricey but like I said it was good quality & I knew the prices before going.

Nice decorations around the place too for Christmas. Overall good experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

The Brook Inn Glanmire

Very nice food, most importantly. Got a burger & can’t remember having one as tasty in a long time. Cheesecake was good too.

They’ve two menus at the moment. An “Early Bird” which runs all night long and another set menu. First one is €30 for 2 courses (actually €29.95 to make it look cheaper) or €35 for 3 courses. The other one is €32 & €37. So only €2 discount for “Early Bird”.

Some of the dishes are the same on both menus & no a la carte. Can’t pay for items individually, if you wanted only a main. Burger + Cheesecake for €30 is pricey but like I said it was good quality & I knew the prices before going.

Understatement of the year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

The Brook Inn Glanmire

Some markup on that cheesecake!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement