Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Understatement of the year!

€30 for a burger and cheese cake is outrageous, the most I would expect to pay for that would be €21 or €22. I don't live far from the Brook but would never eat there for that reason. About a year ago I paid €9.95 for the meanest toasted sandwich and a few chips, they used white sliced pan and were not generous with the filling. I also have a bit of an issue with the staff there, some of them are quite unfriendly and I was made feel quite unwelcome there on more than one occasion when I met a friend mid morning for a coffee, they barely acknowledged me when they realised I wasn't eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

That is a complete rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Seamai wrote: »
    €30 for a burger and cheese cake is outrageous, the most I would expect to pay for that would be €21 or €22. I don't live far from the Brook but would never eat there for that reason. About a year ago I paid €9.95 for the meanest toasted sandwich and a few chips, they used white sliced pan and were not generous with the filling. I also have a bit of an issue with the staff there, some of them are quite unfriendly and I was made feel quite unwelcome there on more than one occasion when I met a friend mid morning for a coffee, they barely acknowledged me when they realised I wasn't eating.

Ya it’s about €8 too much. Was thinking the same.
    The toasted special is on their day menu now for €12 :-)

On that same menu (finishes at 5pm) the burger is €14 & cheesecake is €6. So they’re adding €10 for the evening.

The staff, ya some seemed less friendly than others. The place feels like a pub, the early bird is a pub menu really but it’s charging fancy restaurant prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

the food is nice in the brook but its way too expensive for what it is imo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I had one time the nicest salmon encrote in Brook Inn ever. When I returned was not on menu anymore.

• Advertisement

Had lunch in anglers rest, its a lovely spot i think. Staff are lovely and food is really really nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Rfrip wrote: »
    Had lunch in anglers rest, its a lovely spot i think. Staff are lovely and food is really really nice

It is a nice spot, I really like their open air section, it's perfect for anyone who's a bit nervous about crowded indoor spaces. Is that part open at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think there is a market for very expensive, plain food.

High end, expensive restaurants tend to have somewhat adventurous menus - this doesn't appeal to the plain eater.
    But where are these plain eaters supposed to go when they want to push the boat out and spend a bit of cash for a treat?

This could be where the likes of The Brook come in. Keep the menu plain, simple and non challenging but keep the prices high, giving the perception of superior quality and keeping the sense that it is somewhere special.

I could, of course, be talking through my arse, too, but I think there might be something to this.

But Jaysus, €30 for a burger and a cheesecake:eek::eek:
    (and probably not a patch on Bunsen)

High end, expensive restaurants tend to have somewhat adventurous menus - this doesn't appeal to the plain eater.
    But where are these plain eaters supposed to go when they want to push the boat out and spend a bit of cash for a treat?

This could be where the likes of The Brook come in. Keep the menu plain, simple and non challenging but keep the prices high, giving the perception of superior quality and keeping the sense that it is somewhere special.

I could, of course, be talking through my arse, too, but I think there might be something to this.

Isn’t Sophie’s a high end restaurant or the glass curtain?

Seamai wrote: »
    It is a nice spot, I really like their open air section, it's perfect for anyone who's a bit nervous about crowded indoor spaces. Is that part open at the moment?

it was actually! loads of heaters etc. They have it very well set up for these times

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »

glass curtain wouldnt be classed as plain food though!

The Glass Curtain wouldn't appeal to the plain eater, at all.

Sophie's might fit the bill, alright, for what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

lol, you might be on to something!
    Very different to Bunsen. I preferred the Brook.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Where would people recommend for pizza, that you can collect in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

titan18 wrote: »

Oak Fire. Pompeii out of Fran Well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Haven't actually had his pizza yet but that guy that calls himself Curly Stu does pizzas from his mobile trailer at the Coal Quay on a Saturday - they are supposed to be lovely, they certainly look it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

leahyl wrote: »
    Haven't actually had his pizza yet but that guy that calls himself Curly Stu does pizzas from his mobile trailer at the Coal Quay on a Saturday - they are supposed to be lovely, they certainly look it anyway!

One of the nicest pizzas I've ever had. His sauce is really top notch. They're more lunch sized than dinner sized tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The normal price for a burger with chips in a restaurant is 12 to 15 euro.

Cheesecake is 5 to 7 euro.

Where are they getting 30 from? Absolute madness

The Brooke Inn is nice enough but it's very expensive. Far too expensive for what you get. I'd actually refuse to go back with those prices

The Glass Curtain wouldn't appeal to the plain eater, at all.

Sophie's might fit the bill, alright, for what I'm talking about.

I haven’t been in glass curtain so was just wondering cause heard it was expensive?

I haven’t been in glass curtain so was just wondering cause heard it was expensive?

It is.
    It's also extremely good value, imo.

• Advertisement

Glass Curtain is very nice, it's expensive but not overly so. What you pay for is very, very tasty and pretty good portion sizes too.

I had a starter and main and was too stuffed for dessert and I'd have a pretty big appetite. Was worth the price imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Had the sober Lane goujons again today, lovely as usual! Just posting it though because they threw in a bag of cadbury chocolates, like a selection box. Very thoughtful I think!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Had the sober Lane goujons again today, lovely as usual! Just posting it though because they threw in a bag of cadbury chocolates, like a selection box. Very thoughtful I think!

Oh nice, I should really try them, I live just around the corner!

Would a portion of the chicken and a portion of the chips do two people with homemade salad?

Ya, I had them Friday and got that too. Didn't get the love of the goujons though. They were alright, preferred the wings tbh.

Also had oak fire pizza as that was recommended and whilst the pizza was quite nice, service was poor. Ordered it in advance for 7pm and it was about 7.10 before we got it. No real system to distinguish between people for collections and people getting food there.

Bottomless brunch at metrapole , very nice and lovely staff.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Oh nice, I should really try them, I live just around the corner!

Would a portion of the chicken and a portion of the chips do two people with homemade salad?

Not really unless ye don't eat. It was 4 goujons (tbf large enough) and a normal sized portion of chips for a bar/restaurant (wouldn't be Lennoxes portions)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭sporina

Not really unless ye don't eat. It was 4 goujons (tbf large enough) and a normal sized portion of chips for a bar/restaurant (wouldn't be Lennoxes portions)

i got 5 really big goujons in my last order.. kept one for the following day... hmm hmm hmm..

Did they put in an extra portion of chips?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

siblers wrote: »
    Did they put in an extra portion of chips?

Unfortunately not I had bought my own though!

• Advertisement

Unfortunately not I had bought my own though!

They threw in extra chips when I ordered. It was a glorious surprise

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement