Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Castle café recently for dinner which was lovely, staff were great & had the pork wellington which was top notch, always enjoy the setting there too with the castle lit up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Ate in Man Fridays on Saturday. It was such a lovely evening out. Food was divine, service was great. Had never been before but 100 percent will be going back
    Turfed out after the time limit of course but still great to get out!!! il look forward to going back when we can stay for a bit longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

I had lunch in the newish Naturally Nourished cafe on Railway St today, well worth a visit. Food was good, staff were good & all served up quickly which is exactly what you want at lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Any place doing bottomless brunch over the Christmas outside of weekends? Nearly all the places I can find are only weekends but I'm looking for something between Christmas and new years. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

JMNolan wrote: »
    Any place doing bottomless brunch over the Christmas outside of weekendcs? Nearly all the places I can find are only weekends but I'm looking for something between Christmas and new years. Cheers

Dwyers I think do it on a bank holiday so should be on the 28th but is that technically over the weekend?

• Advertisement

Ah ya, might book the 28th, cheers.

Ah ya, might book the 28th, cheers.

Ya I’ve had a small bit of a look around and it seems to be nowhere doing it during the week. I say ring dwyers first just to confirm about 28th cause it def says it on their website about Bank holidays but just to be sure.

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya I’ve had a small bit of a look around and it seems to be nowhere doing it during the week. I say ring dwyers first just to confirm about 28th cause it def says it on their website about Bank holidays but just to be sure.

Website only has option for weekday brunch on the 28th so might give them a buzz alright

Website only has option for weekday brunch on the 28th so might give them a buzz alright

Ya that’s what I noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭sporina

opus wrote: »
    I had lunch in the newish Naturally Nourished cafe on Railway St today, well worth a visit. Food was good, staff were good & all served up quickly which is exactly what you want at lunchtime.

had lunch there today too - delicious - and love the space.. wish it was more central.. i'll be a regular anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Some suggestions for the best chips in Cork city please, available to eat/take away?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Jackie Lennoxs

The Fish Wife is countless times better than Lennoxs.
    They also do a better burger than you'd get in most restaurants.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

.red. wrote: »
    The Fish Wife is countless times better than Lennoxs.
    They also do a better burger than you'd get in most restaurants.

Has anyone tried the new fish and chip place on Grand Parade that was (or is?) The Fish Wife?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Jackie Lennoxs

Got then a couple months ago
    They were horrible, destroyed in grease. Would gladly never eat from them again

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the new fish and chip place on Grand Parade that was (or is?) The Fish Wife?

Yes, only this week.
    Fish was excellent, lovely thin batter and ridiculously big portion. Had hake.
    Chips were fine, nothing special. Could have been cooked a bit more and the potatoes weren't really tasty but they weren't bad chips, by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Debub wrote: »
    Some suggestions for the best chips in Cork city please, available to eat/take away?
    Thanks

Didn't know you were going to open a can of old worms, when you only asked about chips.

Water John wrote: »

Didn't know you were going to open a can of old worms, when you only asked about chips.

It's like the civil war all over again :)

Yes, only this week.
    Fish was excellent, lovely thin batter and ridiculously big portion. Had hake.
    Chips were fine, nothing special. Could have been cooked a bit more and the potatoes weren't really tasty but they weren't bad chips, by any means.

Thanks!

Just the fish then. With homemade rice and salsa!

I always thought that fried fish and fried chips was a bit of overkill on grease.

I'll keep the good chips for buttys!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Water John

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Thanks!

Just the fish then. With homemade rice and salsa!

I always thought that fried fish and fried chips was a bit of overkill on grease.

I'll keep the good chips for buttys!

My own personal opinion is that batter usually destroys good fish. Unless the batter is very light and crispy, no soggy stuff.

My own personal opinion is that batter usually destroys good fish. Unless the batter is very light and crispy, no soggy stuff.

Agree. It should be like tempura, translucent, a bare crisp.

I also feel very strongly about onion rings.

At the very least breaded, never the overly fried dough things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This was very good, very light batter.
    As good a battered fish as I've had. It's often really not enjoyable. I dislike it if the batter is heavy or greasy or if the fish isn't very fresh.
    I can only speak for one portion on one night, mind, but if they are consistent, then they are better than The Fish Wife, imo. Called Sea Salt now. No connection.

Ended up getting fish and chips there after Lennox's, mc curtain street only had cod and fish wife was closed for some reason. Will definitely go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Where should we get this weekend's takeaway from? Local over chain, if possible. Would be handy to use Just Eat (as they take One 4 Alls and we have a rake of them), but not a deal breaker.

I'm planning ahead since it takes myself and Mrs Pen Rua and age to agree on a place!

We've done: Lab 82, Sober Lane, Captain America's / Wow Burger, Bunsen. Of the lot Lab 82 has been our favourite. Open to most cuisines save for Japanese (sushi). Wouldn't mind steering away from burgers / friend chicken places.

Potentially related - where has the best spice bag in Cork? Being from Galway, I'm craving the one from Xian, but it's going to be some time before I get back home, so looking for the next best thing in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Got food from Cask during second lockdown and was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭sporina

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Where should we get this weekend's takeaway from? Local over chain, if possible. Would be handy to use Just Eat (as they take One 4 Alls and we have a rake of them), but not a deal breaker.

I'm planning ahead since it takes myself and Mrs Pen Rua and age to agree on a place!

We've done: Lab 82, Sober Lane, Captain America's / Wow Burger, Bunsen. Of the lot Lab 82 has been our favourite. Open to most cuisines save for Japanese (sushi). Wouldn't mind steering away from burgers / friend chicken places.

Potentially related - where has the best spice bag in Cork? Being from Galway, I'm craving the one from Xian, but it's going to be some time before I get back home, so looking for the next best thing in Cork.

no idea about a spice bag but The Golden Elephant in Douglas is fantastic (if you like Thai)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Oliver Plunkett does an absolutely savage spice bag, dont think its on the takeaway menu though so no good to you at the moment!

I'd suggest Koto for takeaway but not on Just Eat unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

sporina wrote: »
    no idea about a spice bag but The Golden Elephant in Douglas is fantastic (if you like Thai)

I'm outside their delivery radius - darn!
    Kerry25x wrote: »
    Oliver Plunkett does an absolutely savage spice bag, dont think its on the takeaway menu though so no good to you at the moment!

I'd suggest Koto for takeaway but not on Just Eat unfortunately.
    Good to know re Oliver Plunkett if / when we get back. Have eaten at Koto pre-COVID and was impressed by value for money tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Spice of India in Bishopstown is on Just Eat, if you like indian. The spice of india special with lamb and a naan is my favourite order there.

Yuan Ming Yuan on there as well. Amber Fire steak is noms, or the aromatic duck.

Izz cafe is pretty delicious.

Spice bag, no idea on the best, I've only had one or 2 ever. I've had one from the Pier Head Chinese (blackrock village) that would stop your heart it was so salty. Is that a sign of a good spice bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Thali always a good shout too, Nepal so pretty much Indian food.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Had Ecos at the weekend. Overrpiced muck. 56 euros for 2 mains, 2 starters and a portion of curry. The portion of chips was half a small bag. Won't be going back anytime soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

ICOS?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement