Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

pwurple wrote: »
    LOL. There are no 'celebs' in Cork, let alone Douglas.

I presume it's sports celebs they mean! :pac:
    pwurple wrote: »
    Anyway, nearby to douglas, Gogo's does a really nice lunch. Very impressed with it last week. Nice fresh food, served quickly, not too pricey.

I agree! Although I haven't been in a while. In my experience it's always quite busy for lunch and you can be waiting for a table, so if you only have an hour or so it's sometimes not worth the risk in going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yep East Village is pots compared to Soho.. We were in the same mind after having the lovely hot stone steak in Soho.. Loved it so said East Village must be more along the same lines, but nope. The tables were jammed together, service very slow, food was over salted and very badly, and they kept bringing out side dishes I had to tell them to stop that if we wanted anything else wed ask.. There was no room to eat..

Soho was great, we had lovely waiter, lovely food and the service was top notch. He even said look ill leave the sides at that but if you want more just ask (it wasn't charged) but I hate wasting food so loved that he said this...

East Village cant say much about it being a pub or for food always thought it was a posers spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Malari wrote: »
    Really? Why on earth would they eat there? What's so good about East Village?

Exactly!!
    I like the type of food they serve in there, im not into food with names i dont understand in fancy restaurants.
    Saying that ive eaten in the both the east village and soho once each and never went back. Its over priced, the food isnt great and the service was shocking.
    I really cant see how they are both so busy all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Dunno they just like it, they would be fairly plain eaters to be fair.

Celeb inverted commas I mean Peter Stringer, Donnocha O Callaghan, ya know real famous people :rolleyes: Full of these socialite types, who wouldn't know a fillet steak from a minute steak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

EV hasn't been a posers spot since around 2005. Bit of a kip these days really.

Food is shocking there - wouldn't recommend it at all anymore which is a shame really.

Is Gogos the place on the Well Road or am I thinking is something else ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I ate there 3 times only and 2 of those times, Donnacha O'Callaghan was there.
    Another day I was in Nando's and he was there aswell..:eek:
    I think he might be following me.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Deer wrote: »
    EV hasn't been a posers spot since around 2005. Bit of a kip these days really.

Yep...was in there for first time in ages a couple of months ago for a quick bite on a monday evening. Food was ok to be honest about it but yeah...place is kinda run down and a bit of a kip now. Could really do with being maintained better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

We went for a bite to eat at McGettigan's on Friday as I didn't fancy cooking. This is the third time we've eaten there, and it's safe to say we won't be going back...

The waitress didn't take our order for drinks, so I had to literally chase after her to place them. I think she was at the end of her shift, as she seemed to be in a bit of a rush. Anyway - all sorted.
    I ordered the lamb and my husband the T-bone steak. I noticed the plate under the lights for a while, but thought nothing of it until another waitress whipped the plate from under the lights and brought it over together with the steak. The lamb was dried out and tough after sitting there for a while, so I'm afraid most of it went home for the dog. He liked it I suppose! :pac:

My husband's steak was OK, but very small for the price. The veg were cold and the mash tasteless (Again! Why do we keep doing this to ourselves??) His Eton Mess was nice, but I skipped the dessert for coffee...

Ordered an Americano and a latte. The latte was OK, but my Americano looked like tea!! Tasted it, and it was like gnat's. So it went back. And they made a mistake with the bill and tried to charge us twice for them. It was swiftly sorted though.

On the upside? The front of house manageress was lovely, and so was the waitress who served us later. But it was very expensive for what we got, and I don't think we'll be back. It's a shame...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

Not such a good meal in the Ivory Tower saturday night
    It started off well but someone else in the restaurant complained about to the hostess/waitress and after that service went to pot. It took 50 mins for our deserts to come out and the hot chocolate fondant came out the fridge unheated :( No coffee was offered either. Unfortunately as well I believe we got over charged too but I don't have the receipt to prove it.

The starters and mains were good but I dont think Saturday night was a good night for them in terms of service.
    The excuse used was they had a big crowd in, meh I dont know if thats good enough in my opinion

Toppy

Sports celebs would be right mostly hurlers and the Brothers whatever there names are have to say met a few there and they didn't come across as friendly anywho..

Oh no sorry to hear Toppy.. Did you complain to them or say ye weren't happy..Id nearly get onto Richard or was he there... Sure how can they be all over the place with a large group you can only fit a few people up there...

Shame shame on them if they do not offer some comeback

• Advertisement

Hi Milly33 no clue which chef was there,
    TBH I was more disappointed with the lack of service than the food. If you would compare it to Les Gourmandise or Jacobs they would be streets ahead (I know its not quite like for like but definately the same price range)

Cheers
    Toppy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

blade1 wrote: »
    I ate there 3 times only and 2 of those times, Donnacha O'Callaghan was there.
    Another day I was in Nando's and he was there aswell..:eek:
    I think he might be following me.:pac:

My and my sis saw the rugger guy with the sex tape in Nandos another day. Must be the hip place to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Myself and a friend tried out Aroi (takeaway) yesterday.

I had the yellow fish curry which was very tasty. Fresh ingredients. Zing of lime leaves off it. Twas lovely.

My friend had the calamari for a starter, again very tasty (i stole some :D). Very soya- saucy but tasty nevertheless. He had a duck main course. I think it was the char-grilled duck. I didn't taste it myself but he was singing it's praises.

Just as a side note too. This was about 5pm yesterday evening, i was walking the hound through town and decided to get a bite. While waiting outside for the food to be ready the owner came out and had a nice chat with us told us to sit down outside (with the dog!) and the food would be along shortly. It was a really nice touch, we were just passing through but he made the effort to come out and chat, dog and all. This might be nothing to most people but i thought it was really nice and welcoming.

It's nice to see some healthy competition around the place. I've had Ramen several times and tbh it's just glorified run of the mill, gelatinous take away. If you're spending €10 + on a main for something which is pretty much fast food i'd expect it to be half decent. Everything in Aroi was under a tenner, they had an extensive menu, the food was fresh and the customer service was fantastic. I cannot say the same about Ramen.

I've tried Malay Kitchen twice now too also (once from their day menu and once from their night menu). It's definitely on the pricier side during the day but again the customer service was great and the food was good. Their €5 nighttime menu is fairly limited but it makes for a welcome change from the usual late night takeaways about town. You're certainly getting bang for your buck too. I had chicken fried rice which was practically overflowing. Very filling and not greasy.

Looking forward to Pho opening now... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Does the Ivory Tower have a new owner?
    I'd be tempted back if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

54kroc wrote: »
    Does the Ivory Tower have a new owner?
    I'd be tempted back if so.

No, it's still owned by Seamus O Connell.
    Ivory Tower has been hit and miss for years.
    I've had some of the best food I've ever eaten there but I've also had some awful meals there too.
    Seamus is a lovely guy, though and when on form, a world class chef. Problem is, he gets bored easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

No, it's still owned by Seamus O Connell.
    Ivory Tower has been hit and miss for years.
    I've had some of the best food I've ever eaten there but I've also had some awful meals there too.
    Seamus is a lovely guy, though and when on form, a world class chef. Problem is, he gets bored easily.

Still himself, ah well.
    I've nothing good to say so I'll shut up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Anyone hear anything about a restaurant / bar opening in the old Maher's Sports (I think) building next to the bus station? Lovely old building, could be really nice if done well. Parnell Place is massively improved lately, great to have more eating / drinking options (plus it's about 1 minute walk from my place :) )

Called into Goldbergs for lunch yesterday and have to say it was lovely. Bacon BLT yummie. Price wasn't bad either some of the stuff on the menu for lunch I think are a little overpriced but the specials are great. Very nice staff too in there and it has a nice atmosphere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Deer wrote: »
    Is Gogos the place on the Well Road or am I thinking is something else ?

Yeah, GoGos is on the Well Road - by the roundabout that brings you to Woodview or Douglas Tennis Club. I believe the premises used to be a "Curio"/antiques place before.

I was in there for the 1st time on Sunday morning for brunch and was impressed with the food. I had eggs benedict and it was delicious - perfect Sunday morning grub with gooey egg, salty bacon and sticky bernaise sauce. Little Bay Jr. had pancakes with Nutella which he loved. Thought it was a bit pricey mind: €10 for mine and €7 for 2 Nutella pancakes. Not for everyday dining (for me anyway) but a good spot for a treat.

BTW: there's parking round the back, which I didn't realise until we were leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

That is too expensive for breakfast alright. Liberty grill does eggs benny for 7 quid and the pancakes for a fiver.

• Advertisement

yep thought the same too overpriced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Went to Luigi Malones tonight, just don't understand what people see in the place. It's cheapish I suppose, but the food is just... meh. Average bordering on bad occasionally. Had a ceasar salad for starter which was strangely moist except for the chicken which was supremely dry. Then a pizza which had a good base but toppings were scant and lacking in flavour. Finished off with a chocolate cake which made me think fondly of the chicken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

I went to Isaac's last night and it was packed. The food was as good as ever and the service top class. I love places that keep their standards up for many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

nerwen wrote: »
    Went to Luigi Malones tonight, just don't understand what people see in the place. It's cheapish I suppose, but the food is just... meh. Average bordering on bad occasionally. Had a ceasar salad for starter which was strangely moist except for the chicken which was supremely dry. Then a pizza which had a good base but toppings were scant and lacking in flavour. Finished off with a chocolate cake which made me think fondly of the chicken.

pretty sure 70% of making a profit in the restaurant biz. is having a trendy crowd. Cocktails were horrible as well when I was there. Liberty Grill has the same thing going except the food is decent :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Visited Aroi last night, was really impressed. Good quality authentic Thai food. The seafood curry was delicious. Nice to see they also offer brown and sticky rice. Friendly and genuine staff. It's so much better (and cheaper) than Ramen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Was at Aroi Tuesday, also impressed by the quality Versus price.

I found that they went out of their way to put something "odd" in all the dishes thou, like "Tree Ear"

I found that they went out of their way to put something "odd" in all the dishes thou, like "Tree Ear"

LOL, do you mean wood ear? That's just a type of mushroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Tried Perry St Cafe for breakfast on Sat, one of the worst places I've been to in Cork. Place was jammed, my gf went ahead when I joined her she had been waiting 10mins in line. All the food is precooked at the counter yet they insist you prepay then take a seat with no food. No free tables yet there's loads of empty space not being used, ridiculous. Food arrives after sitting for 25mins had to ask what was going on. Basic fry hard to fu*k it up but they did, instead of toast we both got bread that must have been in toaster for no more then 10 seconds - my gf didn't get any tomato, had to ask for ketchup. 'Wild' mushrooms were chestnut, with about a pint of cream thrown over them. Pudding was bland, food was crap all round. With orange juice and tea it came to e25 for two. Absolute kip won't be going near the place again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Probably gonna be in trouble for posting about a kinsale restaurant but :)
    Went to maxs In kinsale a week ago, very nice ...
    We rocked up without a booking at 8.30 on Saturday night, we had to wait a short while for table(no prob), place felt very spacious ,relaxed atmosphere,and the food was very good. 2 starters,2 mains and a bottle of Merlot was about 80euros ,(we missed the early bird menu).lovely meal ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

OH wanted to go to ramen I'd been a few times and had enough anyway we went, she's the boss. Never again I tell ya, 50 mins sitting on a wooden bench waiting for a pad thai. I was furious and not even an apology for the waiting.

Couldn't even enjoy my average food when it did come I was so pissed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I went to Liberty grill recently for breakfast, I was very impressed, had poached eggs and a nice coffee, and it's pretty cheap compared to other places in the city, there was a queue outside waiting for a table on a Wednesday morning!

Had a cuppa and a scone in Sunbean on union quay (next to the phoenix), really liked it. Scone was warm and came with butter, jam, cream and fruit. The place was warm and comfortable on a nippy morning. Very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

It's not a restaurant per se, but I went to Filter last week and it's a great little spot. Very good coffee too.

.red. wrote: »
    We bought another grab one voucher this morning, this time for a new place in ballincollig called Rooster Pil Pil. €15 for a €30 voucher. We brought the kids to the cinema and went in after.
    The place is a copy of Nandos, the menu is even the same. Its got restaurant service tho and not the fast food type of service i hate so much in nandos.
    The food was fantastic, 4 different types of marinade available with 4 spice levels of each ranging from mild to very hot.
    We got 2 half chickens with "mild pil pil" on one and "hot mexican" on the other. The chicken was nice and juicy, cooked to perfection. We werent mad about the pil pil flavour but that was a personal preferance and nothing to do with the food. The mexican was delicious tho.
    the kids both had chips and garlic bread with 6 wings or a breast cut into strips. Bots were a fine sized portion with a small dessert included for €5.95.
    in total we had 2 kids meals, 2 mains, 2 teas and 1 adult dessert and it came to €44 so only cost €29 with the voucher. Great value even at full price.
    Its not the kind of place id go to for a big romantic gesture but for simple well cooked food its perfect. Just make sure all your party likes chicken.

Went here on Saturday after the cinema too, wasnt too bad. The chicken was pretty good (had the groupon voucher as well) Service wasnt perfect but not the worst either. I dont know if I would be back for a sit down meal but its definately one I would do takeaway from. (Takeaway and sitdown are the same menu and same price)

Cheers
    Toppy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

-Toppy- wrote: »
    Went here on Saturday after the cinema too, wasnt too bad. The chicken was pretty good (had the groupon voucher as well) Service wasnt perfect but not the worst either. I dont know if I would be back for a sit down meal but its definately one I would do takeaway from. (Takeaway and sitdown are the same menu and same price)

Cheers
    Toppy

We actually went back last night again with another voucher. Service was shocking. Took 40 mims from when we were seated to when we got our food. A couple were seated next to us 20mins after we got there and got their food about 30seconds after us.
    I went for the same as last time, hot mexican half chicken and it was a lot hotter than i remembered. I also got 3 wings with extra hot mexican and they werent as spicy the hot for some reason lol. My wife got mild tika which was really nice but again, way too spicy to be mild.
    The food is nice but they need to sort out their service and flavouring as its all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Was in Harvey's(Academy Street) yesterday evening.

Think it was €21 for 2 courses and a glass of wine.

Very reasonable and the food was lovely.

Would recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Was in Harvey's(Academy Street) yesterday evening.

Think it was €21 for 2 courses and a glass of wine.

Very reasonable and the food was lovely.

Would recommend.

I love Harvey's, go there a good bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Looking for fine dining in cork city, where is the best place to go with a good menu and wine list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Looking for fine dining in cork city, where is the best place to go with a good menu and wine list

Oysters in the Clarion for excellent fish, and Les Gourmandaises for fine French dining are both very good quality. Great food and service in my experience.

Oysters in the clarion hotel
    Orchids in hayfield manor
    The ivory tower (quirkier than the others)
    Les Gourmandaise

Maybe the new place in the kingsley (that's a guess, haven't been there yet myself)
    Maybe greenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

If by 'fine dining' you mean a formal experience with high prices and good quality food I'd suggest Les Gourmandises in the city centre or Hayfield Manor up by the university on the city's outskirts. However, my favourite restaurtant which would be less formal than the two which I've mentioned is Star Anise. It is quite centrally located. It's small so you'd probably have to reserve a table if your intention was to go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Many thanks for all the suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd second Star Anise.
    More bistro style than fine dining but lovely ambiance and top notch food!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'd second Star Anise.

+1 on the above, I'd add greenes on macCurtain st.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'd second Star Anise.

We've booked a table for our wedding anniversary on Saturday night. Really looking forward to it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Was flipping through a free magazine of what's happening in Cork (called [Insert title] I believe) and there was a small add for a new place opening soon, "Upstairs" on French Church st. with tapas style dining. Anyone heard of this? I do love me some tapas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

nerwen wrote: »
    Was flipping through a free magazine of what's happening in Cork (called [Insert title] I believe) and there was a small add for a new place opening soon, "Upstairs" on French Church st. with tapas style dining. Anyone heard of this? I do love me some tapas.

There's some tapas place called Tedo opening on Princes Street Lower too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Translates to me as food poisoning.... we went on the tapas trail sales thing a few month ago and the whole 8 of us were sick.

btw, loved aroi a few nights ago. That guy running it is a dote altogether, so full of smiles and very welcoming. I got the calamari, and tom yum... we had no booking, were wandering in very late after someone offering to babysit last minute. food was good, tasty and very spicy, which I like. Frikken draughty in the seats by the window though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

Went to Aroi tonight. Got the Pad Kei Mao Telay, which is (I took a pic of the menu :P) prawn, squid, thai green peppercorn, basil, a lot of chilli, baby corn and keoteow. It was UNREAL! My dad got the green vegetable curry and he loved it. Two meals, two beers, 30 euro. :) would recommend.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement