Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Is the Bierhalle any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Finally made it to Aroi today for a late lunch.

Got the Pad Thai which was absolutely delicious! Very authentic, right down to the dried shrimp sprinkled over the dish. Better than the Thai Square (London) Pad Thai which is saying something. Huge bowl too, so the idea of tea now is something I'm viewing with some detachment. :P

The menu looks good. Service was very pleasant and the restaurant was spotless. E10 for any main course and a gelato served between 12-5pm is pretty good value, I think

The difference between Ramen (less said about that the better) and Aroi is like night and day.

People - Don't waste your money in Ramen. The food's crap and the service worse. Go to Aroi instead. You won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Had a really lovely lunch in The Castle Cafe at Blackrock Castle today . Pate to start , plenty of it with toast and crisp breads. Sea Breem on cous cous with asparagus for mains . Half baked choc cake for dessert. Start to finish excellent . (Boiled egg for tea !!! ) I would highly recommend it . The place seemed to be full too , we had booked thankfully . Horrible day but arrived to a lovely real fire in the dining room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

I live quite close to UCC but had never been to the café in The Glucksman Gallery (called Fresco) before. So, when I saw an offer on LivingSocial for a €30 voucher for €13, I decided to go for the weekend brunch. The result was reasonably decent (but not exceptional) grub and the most Fawlty Towers-esque service I have ever experienced.

You would need to have been there to understand how ridiculous the service was (and I don't want to write an essay here) but to give a quick synopsis:
    Our group of 4 ordered 2 full Irish breakfasts and 2 burgers - the breakfasts are inclusive of tea or coffee. The people who ordered the breakfasts were never asked whether they wanted tea or coffee - the breakfasts just arrived. BOTH breakfasts were missing the sausages. It took 5 minutes to get the attention of a waitress and inform her. There was no apology whatsoever. The 2 breakfast people ate their breakfasts (sans tea/coffee) before their sausages arrived. The table had been cleared of all crockery and cutlery by the time the 4 sausages were plonked on the table - on one plate! Needless to say we had to request another plate and 2 knives/forks. We mentioned the fact that the breakfast was supposed to come with tea/coffee but that we had not been offered either - we were informed that we should have asked!

Anyway, we eventually got 2 coffees - again with no apology. In fact, we got the impression that WE were pissing the staff off (Fawlty Towers style) with all of our impossible demands. We finished up and I went to pay at the counter. The waitress called out a number to me as the bill and I said it seemed a bit high. She then listed our items which included a cost for 2 coffees - I explained (as she didn't seem to realise) that these were included in the cost of the 2 breakfasts. Again, no apology, just another number which I accepted and paid. She gave me my change but offered no receipt. I asked for a receipt but what I got was a piece of printed paper with the total cost on it i.e nothing itemised. At that stage I got the fcuk out of Dodge!

At the time I was fuming but we had a good laugh about it later on, when my blood pressure returned to normal. In case you're wondering: No, I won't be going back!

TL/DR: I do not recommend Fresco Café in The Glucksman Gallery, UCC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

byronbay2 wrote: »
    I live quite close to UCC but had never been to the café in The Glucksman Gallery (called Fresco) before. So, when I saw an offer on LivingSocial for a €30 voucher for €13, I decided to go for the weekend brunch. The result was reasonably decent (but not exceptional) grub and the most Fawlty Towers-esque service I have ever experienced.

You would need to have been there to understand how ridiculous the service was (and I don't want to write an essay here) but to give a quick synopsis:
    Our group of 4 ordered 2 full Irish breakfasts and 2 burgers - the breakfasts are inclusive of tea or coffee. The people who ordered the breakfasts were never asked whether they wanted tea or coffee - the breakfasts just arrived. BOTH breakfasts were missing the sausages. It took 5 minutes to get the attention of a waitress and inform her. There was no apology whatsoever. The 2 breakfast people ate their breakfasts (sans tea/coffee) before their sausages arrived. The table had been cleared of all crockery and cutlery by the time the 4 sausages were plonked on the table - on one plate! Needless to say we had to request another plate and 2 knives/forks. We mentioned the fact that the breakfast was supposed to come with tea/coffee but that we had not been offered either - we were informed that we should have asked!

Anyway, we eventually got 2 coffees - again with no apology. In fact, we got the impression that WE were pissing the staff off (Fawlty Towers style) with all of our impossible demands. We finished up and I went to pay at the counter. The waitress called out a number to me as the bill and I said it seemed a bit high. She then listed our items which included a cost for 2 coffees - I explained (as she didn't seem to realise) that these were included in the cost of the 2 breakfasts. Again, no apology, just another number which I accepted and paid. She gave me my change but offered no receipt. I asked for a receipt but what I got was a piece of printed paper with the total cost on it i.e nothing itemised. At that stage I got the fcuk out of Dodge!

At the time I was fuming but we had a good laugh about it later on, when my blood pressure returned to normal. In case you're wondering: No, I won't be going back!

TL/DR: I do not recommend Fresco Café in The Glucksman Gallery, UCC.

I work in UCC and have been there maybe twice (both times a good few years ago now) and each time the service has been extremely slow and each time I went was on a lunch break so you'd want to have 2 hours for lunch! The food was only ok each time too....they obv haven't improved on their service which would put me off going again, because I was only thinking recently that I might visit again....perhaps not now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

leahyl wrote: »
    I work in UCC and have been there maybe twice (both times a good few years ago now) and each time the service has been extremely slow and each time I went was on a lunch break so you'd want to have 2 hours for lunch! The food was only ok each time too....they obv haven't improved on their service which would put me off going again, because I was only thinking recently that I might visit again....perhaps not now...

I know, lunch service has to be snappy for it to be viable for working people. It really does.

Now, the glucksman is probably students, with zero training on working in a restaurant. I know people think it's a no-brainer, but I've worked as a waitress ( in nyc, where the customers will tell you pretty sharpish when you are getting it wrong!). You really need to have your wits about you to be good at it. Watch your tables, watch the kitchen, manage the drinks. Watch the bill, and probably do the tidy-up as well. Juggle them all at the same time, make no mistakes, and be fast.

Anyway, I had some food in one of the Kingsley restaurants over the weekend. Not the fancy one, the middling one you don't make bookings for, that isn't the bar. I think they have 4 restaurants in there? Place looks great anyway, nice refurb. Anyway, the menu was sandwiches, steaks, burgers and that kind of thing. Menu was oddly presented, some ratty creased papers tied with a dirty shoelace onto a heavy piece of sheet-metal, all dangling on meathooks as you go in the door. Don't know what that was supposed to add to the experience. You can see the kitchen from the restaurant through glass, which is nice though, and the river is all around as well.

We got a wonton starter between us. It was 4 deep fried wontons, all stuck together into one congealed lump. Not good. Mains were alright, steak and a burger. Pepper sauce that came with the steak was like a packet-one, had a skin over it when when it arrived, but the steak was cooked correctly, burger was good.

Dessert was godawful. Chocolate fondant was burnt and not in any way a fondant. Mille feuille (Which I assumed was going to be a good old cork Milly Filly!) was a slab of soap-flavoured jelly between 3 sheets of filo pastry. Both went back uneaten. Yeuch. Pricing is ok, I think it was 20 for the steak, desserts were 6. Service was fine. Just some of the food wasn't great, and getting the dessert wrong just leaves a bad impression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Do you mean 'ate it all'?

See the part where I wrote "it went back uneaten"... that's the bit where we sent it back, and told them we weren't happy with it. They offered replacements, but we said leave it, and take it off the bill instead.

Jeez like. :confused:

• Advertisement

Ah lad come on, this is a place that only reopened this year, we were giving it a fighting chance. I'll always let something go at the start, and give it a chance to improve over the rest of the meal. The mains were ok, so it was looking good for ordering something else.

There's a medium ground there between being the ultimate nightmare whingebag customer, and not being walked over. And who wants their mains spat in!

I have heard very mixed reviews about the Kingsley - which are actually beginning to fall more on the negative side now - food wise I mean; the actual surroundings and the staff are fine but it's the most important element, the food, which is letting them down.

I'm going for afternoon tea there in November - really looking forward to it so I hope it's nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Went to Wagamamas last night and I just don't get it.. Himself likes it but I am a defo no no..

Staff were great when we got there and then disappeared. We got a starter to share took one bite, and his main was out, five mins seconds later mine was out. So didn't even finish the starter.. Wanted to get a coffee or dessert but the staff were no where to be found, back by the kitchen chatting.. Paid like €7 off for what they called a big glass of wine, which was just a big glass.. Defo wont be going back there

Why does everyone assume I'm a guy!!!!!!

And you can behave like a whiney petulant child all you like, throwing all your toys out of the pram at the slightest infraction... it's not for me, thanks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Milly33 wrote: »
    Went to Wagamamas last night and I just don't get it.. Himself likes it but I am a defo no no..

Staff were great when we got there and then disappeared. We got a starter to share took one bite, and his main was out, five mins seconds later mine was out. So didn't even finish the starter.. Wanted to get a coffee or dessert but the staff were no where to be found, back by the kitchen chatting.. Paid like €7 off for what they called a big glass of wine, which was just a big glass.. Defo wont be going back there

You're right, you don't get it. The food in Wagamamas (which is yummy btw) comes out as it is prepared. The staff would have told you this, they ALWAYS do. There are no starters. There are sides and there are the mains. The sides are always on the table first (quickest to cook) but they do not wait for you to finish them to bring out the main. Once a meal is ready, it is brought down to your table.

I do agree though that sometimes when you are finished your meal, the staff can be a bit slow coming back around to ask if you want coffee/desert/bill but it's never been a big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

What is the problem there? A big glass is 250ml, a smaller/regular glass is 175ml. :confused:

I love the idea of sides and mains. It means there is always something to nibble on if one of the mains takes longer to cook, and the food is delivered perfectly freshly cooked to your table - no sitting under a lamp or anything, waiting for the other main to be ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Even before we sat down I had a bad feeling about the place: They have these big floor-to-ceiling windows looking out over a beautiful scene of autumnal trees with the leaves turning - a genuinely superb view. Only problem was that the windows were absolutely MANKY - they looked like they hadn't been cleaned in months. Our group noticed it straight away and remarked on what a shame it was - set the tone for the entire meal, unfortunately.

I mean, FFS: half an hour of cleaning, once a week, would make a huge difference to the ambiance - incredible laziness and incompetence really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Also work in UCC, not a fan at all of the Glucksman. I think their food is average and overpriced for what you get. I think I went there twice ever and I'm no longer on main campus so don't go at all now. Service is slow and not the friendliest either so nothing to entice me back even at a weekend.

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Even before we sat down I had a bad feeling about the place: They have these big floor-to-ceiling windows looking out over a beautiful scene of autumnal trees with the leaves turning - a genuinely superb view. Only problem was that the windows were absolutely MANKY - they looked like they hadn't been cleaned in months. Our group noticed it straight away and remarked on what a shame it was - set the tone for the entire meal, unfortunately.

You can always tell the standard of a restaurant/cafe by the way they keep the place. Dirty windows would be a pretty good pointer, as is the state of their loos...

I went home to London in February. Needed a curry fix, so I arranged to meet some friends in Woolwich of all places. If you know London at all, you'll know Woolwich is a dive of a place! The restaurant they booked was in a little side street off the main Woolwich Road. But - OMG. The place was spotless and the food unreal! :D Definitely will go back!!

• Advertisement

Well now I didn't spot that they weren't starters could have sworn it said but perhaps it didn't. But either way nope they didn't tell us anything about bringing all the food at the same time, they only thing they double asked was large or small glass of wine.. Which looking at the menu yeah it says those glass sizes but it was little more over just a reg glass that we got...

Food wasn't wow either one was laced with coriander and the other was just too much..Everyone is different but I know I defo would not be going back there...

Well now I didn't spot that they weren't starters could have sworn it said but perhaps it didn't. But either way nope they didn't tell us anything about bringing all the food at the same time, they only thing they double asked was large or small glass of wine.. Which looking at the menu yeah it says those glass sizes but it was little more over just a reg glass that we got...

Food wasn't wow either one was laced with coriander and the other was just too much..Everyone is different but I know I defo would not be going back there...

I can see how it can be missed but they are marked "sides" not "starters" at the top. The only way they didn't tell you that the food comes out as it is cooked is if you said you had eaten with them before, in which case they don't give the "Wagamama 101" speech :)

Different strokes for different folks as you say. I personally love the place, great spot for a random "I don't feel like cooking dinner tonight but haven't booked anything" dinner :D

No mention of 101 and twas obvious we hadn't eaten there before.. Perhaps you should take a wonder into town this evening for a bite tis nice to walk around trying to pick we do have a great selection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Another outstanding meal in Gallo and Galetti last week, 10 of us were there for a birthday party, clean plates all around it was delicious.

I had the Tuscan chicken, came with sautéed potatoes and this sort of medley of mixed peppers really good, the only thing was the sausage stuffed in the chicken lacked a bit of flavour.

Everyone was very happy and its great value. I'd really recommend it to anyone who hasn't been yet.

No mention of 101 and twas obvious we hadn't eaten there before.. Perhaps you should take a wonder into town this evening for a bite tis nice to walk around trying to pick we do have a great selection

Bad waiter so, it should have been explained.

You're grand thanks, lots of nice places to eat in Cork for sure but I'll be eating at home tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

I have heard very mixed reviews about the Kingsley - which are actually beginning to fall more on the negative side now - food wise I mean; the actual surroundings and the staff are fine but it's the most important element, the food, which is letting them down.

I'm going for afternoon tea there in November - really looking forward to it so I hope it's nice!

Food was very nice for me about 5 weeks ago. Always teething problems as a hotel restarts I suppose. Interior is stunning- all hard wood but modern looking- views on the river are great. Very happy with value as well although menu was a little strange in some ways... no underlying theme to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

I'm a Dub coming in for the weekend to see my mother who recently moved out west.
    I want to bring her to a nice fancy restaurant on Friday but don't know Cork at all, can you people's republic lads steer me right?
    She likes french, italian, steaks, indian or chinese.... Any ideas? Needs to be taxi reach of cork city centre.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Do you work there or something? You've really overreacted to pwurple's review.

Shame to hear about the Glucksman. I've only eaten there once, but it was always held in high regard. Maybe they're diverting all their energies to the new Asian place they're opening and Fresco is slipping as a result? Or maybe it's just gone to pot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Hi there,
    has anyone tried 'The Venue' in Ballintemple? It's recently renovated, but don't know if they do food.
    Thanks!

I'm a Dub coming in for the weekend to see my mother who recently moved out west.
    I want to bring her to a nice fancy restaurant on Friday but don't know Cork at all, can you people's republic lads steer me right?
    She likes french, italian, steaks, indian or chinese.... Any ideas? Needs to be taxi reach of cork city centre.

Market Lane, Greene's, Star Anise, Isaac's. All within walking distance of the City Centre.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

One reply to ask if she complained is a normal response. 4 posts harassing her for your interpretation of her post is an overreaction. Let it go!

Define fancy.

Market Lane is quality food and service, though you can't book it.
    Bar Electric has great food with a lot of buzz from the bar downstairs.
    Les Gourmandes is fancy fancy dining.
    Liberty Grill has great food too, great service and is a bit smaller than the first two I mentioned.

All are in the city centre.

Hi there,
    has anyone tried 'The Venue' in Ballintemple? It's recently renovated, but don't know if they do food.
    Thanks!

Hello yep tis open now under new owners, no food im afraid they are going to start it but id say it will be a while away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Hello yep tis open now under new owners, no food im afraid they are going to start it but id say it will be a while away

Thanks Milly33....just had a yearning for a bowl of homemade soup and thought of there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Les Gourmandises, as mentioned above, best (only?) French restaurant in Cork.
    For Italian, I love Rossini's for the ambience, although maybe La Dolce Vita shades it for the food.
    Greene's an option for the setting (pond & waterfall).

All are within walking distance (or a grumpy "is that as far as you're going?" taxi ride) from the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Had a nice lunch in Fresco this week. Always quite liked the place. Service was friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

Thanks for the advice! This west Brit appreciates it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Just in case you're not already aware of it, the Jazz Festival will be on this weekend so town will be very busy. You ought to make a reservation as soon as you've decided where you'll be taking her.

Also, as this is thread is effectively a review thread you might throw up your thoughts on your experience afterwards. Welcome to Cork!

• Advertisement

Mother of god would you lay off!

The poor starter we let slide, it was followed by decent enough mains. We sent back the desserts when they went wrong later. Perfectly reasonable and normal behaviour by any civilised standard. How you choose to behave in a restaurant, is your own business. Feel free to storm off completely outraged after a dodgey starter if you like. You have not persuaded me that I need to change my ways.

Back on-topic, has anyone been to Bunnyconnellans lately? Someone has given us a groupon they can't use... wondering is it worth the trip, or should I regift.

I'd really recommend the new place Huguenots in town (french), and the Italian run by the same people out in wilton, gallo and galetti. Hugenots is fancier.
    Hi there,
    Thanks!
    I had a drink in the venue alright, bit souless still. No food. Very nearby though is longboats/The Temple Inn. Big red and black pub down the hill. They do food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Mrs. Loire went to Greene's last weekend and raved about it - nice to see somewhere going as long as they have been to remain trumps.

Heading to Orso tonight for a bite - anyone been & anything to recommend?

Thanks,
    Loire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Adding a thumbs up for Aroi. Nomnomnom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Loire wrote: »
    Mrs. Loire went to Greene's last weekend and raved about it - nice to see somewhere going as long as they have been to remain trumps.

Thanks,
    Loire.

I absolutely love the boneless lamb rib!

Loire wrote: »

Love ORSO. Been through most of the menu and it's all good. Lamb & Monkfish are favs from the evening menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

pwurple wrote: »
    I'd really recommend the new place Huguenots in town (french), and the Italian run by the same people out in wilton, gallo and galetti. Hugenots is fancier.

Second Hugenots if you're looking for a nice French place!

I had some friends over last week and we went out a fair few times, covered some of my favorite places. If anyone's heading to Market Lane any time soon I heartily recommend the lamb pie they have on the menu at the moment, it was absolutely gorgeous.

Also went to Italee, Wabisabi and Sohos for lunch, but they've taken the lamb cutlet salad off the menu in Sohos so... No real reason to go back there for me now unless others specifically want to. Gonna miss that salad though, the combo of lamb, mango, black pudding and pesto was SO good.

Oh and we finished off with pizza at the Fran Well the last night. Best pizza I've had in Cork by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MillyD123

Hi guys,

We're visiting Cork next week and looking for somewhere child friendly to eat - any recommendations ? We used to go to the Chinese restaurant in Patrick Street (over H Samuels I think ?) Is this place still good ?

Thanks in advance !

PS planning on visiting Foto and Cobh - any tips for things to do if its raining ? Kids are 2 6 & 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Tung Sing is the one you mention, still going strong, go there myself now and again, one of the family, Gino has a Chinese restaurant in Blarney, not been there though. Enjoy the weekend.

Guys please keep on topic - posters shouldn't have to explain in detail why they don't like a particular restaurant/wouldn't go back. Different strokes for different folks. One post should be sufficient to get the point across.

If there is a problem with a post, report it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yuan Ming Yuan is the only Chinese worth going to in Cork imo.
    Aroi is an excellent new South East Asian restaurant.
    Iyer's :Daytime only (except Thursday and Friday evenings) South Indian vegetarian cafe - fantastic cooking, though not Indian as most people know it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement