Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

Let me know when they get a card machine and a till. Aint much to ask in the 21st century

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Saw this interesting article in the Indo today. I've taken friends from London to the Farmgate and loved it there. Not eaten at Ballymaloe though.

Adrian Gill's a bit of an arse though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Tried Tedo recently. Wasn't very impressed unfortunately.

The setting is ok, tables quite close together but fine. The service was grand, quite informal and friendly but had to ask for water twice and one of the Tapas I ordered was forgotten and we never ended up getting it.

The food itself was quite disappointing. I thought it lacked a bit of polish, and the portion sizes of some of the tapas were very small for the €7-8 they cost each. The burger tasted ok but the presentation was awful, looked like something you'd get in a work canteen.

I wouldn't necessarily put people off trying it, but personally I won't be going back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Saw this interesting article in the Indo today. I've taken friends from London to the Farmgate and loved it there. Not eaten at Ballymaloe though.

That is huge for The Farmgate - Gill is the most powerful and widely-read food critic in Britain. Even when he likes restaurants, he very rarely gives 5 stars for both food and atmosphere, as he did in this instance. Lots of Brits will be adding The Farmgate to their itinerary when visiting Cork.

As for Gill himself, you need to take what he says with a pinch of salt (culinary pun!) but he is a beautifully stylish food writer and very knowledgeable on the subject. I look forward to reading his column every week in The ST, even though he is generally very London-centric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I would pretty much agree with what he says about Ballymaloe. They may have once been ground-breaking but I've had better carvery in some pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Malari wrote: »
    I would pretty much agree with what he says about Ballymaloe. They may have once been ground-breaking but I've had better carvery in some pubs.

I've never been to Ballymaloe for food but I have heard some very negative reviews about the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

leahyl wrote: »
    I've never been to Ballymaloe for food but I have heard some very negative reviews about the place.

Ballymaloe is like a blast from the past. They come out with seconds of whatever you order, more fish, more meat, whatever. If you go there wth a hungry group they will be delighted. but it's traditional simple food, served in an old-fashioned way.

I like it sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I've only eaten there once (Ballymaloe) and while I don't have anything negative to say about the place I don't have anything positive to say either in that it just wasn't memorable in the slightest so very middle of the road/nothing special.

pwurple wrote: »
    Ballymaloe is like a blast from the past. They come out with seconds of whatever you order, more fish, more meat, whatever. If you go there wth a hungry group they will be delighted. but it's traditional simple food, served in an old-fashioned way.

I like it sometimes.

I don't have a problem with simple, traditional food if it's done well. But for the prices they charge I think the quality could be far higher.

I don't have a problem with simple, traditional food if it's done well. But for the prices they charge I think the quality could be far higher.

I have to say I don't think I could ever fault the quality. That's their selling point. Top quality, both in produce and cooking. They are a culinary school. I've never had anything there that wasn't perfectly cooked.

(other selling point being the dessert trolley!)

Their style isn't for everyone though, no doubt about that.

• Advertisement

I have to say I don't think I could ever fault the quality. That's their selling point. Top quality, both in produce and cooking. They are a culinary school. I've never had anything there that wasn't perfectly cooked.

(other selling point being the dessert trolley!)

Their style isn't for everyone though, no doubt about that.

It's a fair point that the quality of the produce is indeed very good, but I'd argue that the quality of the cooking is often less than I'd expect.

It's a fair point that the quality of the produce is indeed very good, but I'd argue that the quality of the cooking is often less than I'd expect.

Might have the students in there! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Went to the coq and bull for lunch the other day after hearing great reviews. Couldn't fault the service but wasn't majorly impressed with the food to be honest.

What is it with consistency in a lot of restaurants in Cork - that seems to be the main problem I think - you go to a place once and it's lovely and then you go back and it's like a different restaurant!

Went to the coq and bull for lunch the other day after hearing great reviews. Couldn't fault the service but wasn't majorly impressed with the food to be honest.

Jesus, where did you hear great reviews? Everyone I know slated the place.

Jesus, where did you hear great reviews? Everyone I know slated the place.

I've heard both good and bad reviews about the place.

I went there on a Saturday in November and couldnt fault it
    Was decent enough burgers and no messing with the service

-Toppy- wrote: »
    Was decent enough burgers
    Twould want to be more than a 'decent' burger for the price tag of 15 quid. Blob o coleslaw on the side, that's an extra 3 euro.

I can't justify paying almost 40 quid for burgers and chips for two people, it's just madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Ate in Pho (Asian street food place on Douglas st) last week. Found it far better than Wagamamas/Ramen etc. I love asian food but not a fan of these places so far, there's usually only 1 or 2 things on the menus of these street food places that sounds remotely appealing. Most things on the Pho menu sounded delicious. I had a beef rendang and OH had a thai green curry. The green curry was nice, decent thai restaurant standard I thought - better than equivalent dishes is Wagamama/Ramen. The rendang was outstanding - rich, flavoursome sauce, melt in mouth beef. Only one desert item on the menu (shaved ice w/ some kind of syrup I think). The waitress said it wasn't going down well and they were doing a brownie instead, brownie was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭sporina

had lunch in KC Peaches on dawson st in Dublin today - it was 100% !!! And such good value for money. Wish we had one in Cork!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Milly33

Called into Scoozis last night and have to say I was a little disappointed with the food. It was nice but jaysus they are completely over charging for what they are serving..Most of the mains were around €17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Milly33 wrote: »
    Called into Scoozis last night and have to say I was a little disappointed with the food. It was nice but jaysus they are completely over charging for what they are serving..Most of the mains were around €17

Isn't it just reheated food mostly? Its got a bit of a following much like Luigi Malones, no idea why as its fairly average. Its one of those places to go so people like it oblivious to the standard of food.

I know we used to go in there all the time before and yes while it is on the same line as Milanos and Bullys (although they had really gone to pot) it was always nice, tasteful food.. Was shocked to see the mains at €16 - €17 euro for what it was and the menu wasn't very exciting either...

Maybe it is better for lunches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Milly33 wrote: »
    I know we used to go in there all the time before and yes while it is on the same line as Milanos and Bullys (although they had really gone to pot) it was always nice, tasteful food.. Was shocked to see the mains at €16 - €17 euro for what it was and the menu wasn't very exciting either...

Maybe it is better for lunches

Or maybe you've just outgrown the place?
    I've never heard of anyone being disappointed in the food in Scoozi's - I didn't think anyone had any expectations of the food there.

Mmm no, I wouldn't think so. I love my oysters and I also love me chicken nuggets. Just thought the menu was boring and the prices were mad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭.red.

Its not in the city but we ate at the Lee Valley Golf Club again last night. We had high expectations after the last time we were there and we werent dissappointed.

They have an offer till the 23rd. A main course and a starter OR dessert for €15.95. Its from a set menu but theres plenty of choice. Your eating in the bar so its nice and cosy with a big fire blazing. Feels more like a restaurant tho as its a bit out of the way for just a pint so most people are eating.
    I had the large portion of hot wings, 8oz rib eye with a side of mushrooms and onions and a stickey toffee pudding. All top notch bar the pudding, that was a bit heavy after a big meal.
    My wife had nachos, chicken curry and apple crumble and that was all good.
    We had a coke, pint of cider and 2 teas and the bill came to just under €60 which i thought was very good value.
    My pudding wasnt bad, it would have been grand with a cuppa without a meal but was just a bad choice as i was full before it came out.

@Red:
    While €15.95 is very good value for 2 courses, €28 for 2 desserts/starters, a coke, a pint if cider and 2 teas is pretty pricey , no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭.red.

@Red:
    While €15.95 is very good value for 2 courses, €28 for 2 desserts/starters, a coke, a pint if cider and 2 teas is pretty pricey , no?

Think it came to €58.
    The extra €26 was for a large portion of wings, a bowl of nachos as another starter, a side of sauteed mushrooms and onions, 2 teas, a pint of cider and a coke.
    Considering a pint, coke and wings in a lot of places would be €20 id say we got very good value.

.red. wrote: »
    Think it came to €58.
    The extra €26 was for a large portion of wings, a bowl of nachos as another starter, a side of sauteed mushrooms and onions, 2 teas, a pint of cider and a coke.
    Considering a pint, coke and wings in a lot of places would be €20 id say we got very good value.
    Ah, with an extra side included and it being €2 less, it adds up better alright.

We ordered take out from the Mill House Thai place in Douglas and we were well impressed. Very nice not greasy or fatty.. Nice fresh ingredients, or it taste like they are

• Advertisement

Had a great lunch in Italee recently. That place is so good. I had salmon spinach pasta. 8 euro i think. Yum. Their tiramisu is awesome as well, really tastes like fresh coffee. It always seems to be half-full of Italian people too, which is a good sign I think.

They were saying they are not going to open in the evenings any more.. The day is too long.

Had a great lunch in Italee recently. That place is so good. I had salmon spinach pasta. 8 euro i think. Yum. Their tiramisu is awesome as well, really tastes like fresh coffee. It always seems to be half-full of Italian people too, which is a good sign I think.

They were saying they are not going to open in the evenings any more.. The day is too long.

no way? we had a fab meal there at night recently..

i had cod the so good and was only like 15e and was the size of your head..

himself had streak - again for about 18e and he would not speak to me while eating it as it was so good.. it was marinated in herbs or the like… and it came with a rocket and parmesan salad.. and roasties.. looked so good..

I know, would be a loss alright. I guess it's hard to trust someone else to run your place for you and the hours were getting too much for a reasonable work-life balance. They are jammers at lunchtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Loire

Have you ever had their "special" hot chocolate? It's some sort of special Italian concoction....I used of work in town and get a take away coffee a few days a week at lunchtime before heading back to the office. I was chatting to one of the guys behind the counter about it one day and held off as it was 3 euro something. Anyway, one Friday I treated myself and went for it...seriously it was out of this world. Such a nice bunch there too.

Loire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We had dinner last night in Elbow Lane and very much enjoyed. Got two seats at the bar area, ordered blood pudding and the brisket to start, followed by ribs and smoked duck. Really enjoyed all the food & liked the chargrilled lettuce served with each dish. Large portions too. Only problem were the fiddly boards that the mains were served on. Two pichets of very good wine and a few little free samples of their beers. Total bill was €78.

Friendly staff & very nice decor.

Picked one up the other day cant wait.

On another note we went to Griffins today and I must say the restaurant there is shocking along with the staff in there..shame they really let the place down

Ate in the Castle Cafe before going to the movies last night, couldnt recommended it more
    good food and good service

Ate in the Castle Cafe before going to the movies last night, couldnt recommended it more

I had lunch there on Saturday and couldn't fault it!
    It seems they've turned the food around. For a long time they had a terrible reputation for bad bad food.

It's great to see it changed.

Yes, that whole group are doing well, I think they have a good format going. Blackrock castle cafe, Orzo, Elbow lane and Market lane are all places I would recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Does anyone know about that new restaurant opening on Academy st? I passed it the other day, they seemed to be training staff. It looked pretty swish.

I can't remember the name of the place :o

Léan wrote: »
    Does anyone know about that new restaurant opening on Academy st? I passed it the other day, they seemed to be training staff. It looked pretty swish.

I can't remember the name of the place :o

Menu looks nice.

I passed the other day and dropped in to tell them that the menus weren't readable from outside. When I passed the next day they had them properly displayed - hence I could read them.

Can't remember the name either.

Zamora! Had lunch there the other day and it was a little rough around the edges yet (not all menus printed, waiter a bit slow in bringing water refills, etc), but the food was pretty good.

I noticed that they had the menu propped in the window the first time I passed so you couldn't actually read it without seeming to be eyeballing the people sitting in the window seat! :pac:

anyone eaten tapas in jacques recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

Any one eaten in Bar pigella on barrack street ? Worth a visit ?

whatever76 wrote: »
    Any one eaten in Bar pigella on barrack street ? Worth a visit ?

Yes, I really like it, it's worth a visit. Seems to be good value, friendly service and they have live string music playing at weekends...think it's Sunday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Ate at Market Lane this week for first time. What a great restaurant! Lovely staff, quick and friendly service and really decent and interesting food. Great value too so I can see why it is so highly rated on trip advisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

I'm off to Cork for 3 days after Christmas, what would be your guys 3 recommendations for good but reasonable restaurants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

See above post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

See above post.

Market Lane 3 nights it is :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement