Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I'm on the north side (right beside blackpool), any recommendations for an Indian (delivery preferable). The ones I've tried have been fine, but nothing to write home about. Is it a cork thing to use what i think is oregano in Indian dishes?

Iyers is well up on my list, but i'm thinking more of a "get home from work and want a curry and some popadoms" type!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

dibkins wrote: »
    I'm on the north side (right beside blackpool), any recommendations for an Indian (delivery preferable). The ones I've tried have been fine, but nothing to write home about. Is it a cork thing to use what i think is oregano in Indian dishes?

Iyers is well up on my list, but i'm thinking more of a "get home from work and want a curry and some popadoms" type!

Sadly, I think you're out of luck, unless you can get Iyer's to deliver or get out to the Raj. I've NEVER had a decent curry here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The back and forth posts about Ramen are getting tiresome now. Some people like it, some people don't - different strokes for different folks. So, stop it now please and lets just move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I thought the discussion about the chicken was about Aroi...it appears to have changed now to Ramen at top of this page by accident.

Ludo wrote: »
    I thought the discussion about the chicken was about Aroi...it appears to have changed now to Ramen at top of this page by accident.

Whichever restaurant it was about, let's just keep on topic, posters shouldn't be challenging others on their opinions about a restaurant.

These places seem to divide opinion anyway so we could go on forever bickering about it.

Sadly, I think you're out of luck, unless you can get Iyer's to deliver or get out to the Raj. I've NEVER had a decent curry here

Oh:( Anything in the city center? They tend to be fine delivering up the north side as well.

Oh:( Anything in the city center? They tend to be fine delivering up the north side as well.

Apparently there's a new Indian on North Main Street? Not sure what it's called (edit: just checked - it's called Spice Inn) or what it's like though! I live in the northside also and was looking for a place that would deliver recently and we were going to try there - haven't yet though.

There's also an Indian in Glanmire - I think it's called Star of India.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

leahyl wrote: »
    Apparently there's a new Indian on North Main Street? Not sure what it's called (edit: just checked - it's called Spice Inn) or what it's like though! I live in the northside also and was looking for a place that would deliver recently and we were going to try there - haven't yet though.

Did you try it yet?

54kroc wrote: »
    Did you try it yet?

Haha no not yet :pac: Hopefully sometime in 2015! You went didn't you and you liked it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

First you suggest that Aroi serve reformed, processed chicken.
    Then you admit that you have never been there.
    Then you infer dangerous hygiene practices!

What is your beef with this restaurant?

Please stop making unfounded accusations about a restaurant that you have never been to.

i said that I had not been there! Indeed. I am passing on feedback from a person who's opinion I know is reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sporina wrote: »
    i said that I had not been there! Indeed. I am passing on feedback from a person who's opinion I know is reliable.

Someone on the internet knows somebody who......
    Oh, yeah!
    That's really reliable information - NOT!

Did this person you know witness unsafe food handling? You suggested that such poor practice is going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

pwurple wrote: »
    Anyone tried the new pizza and beer place in Douglas? Palmento I think it's called?

We ate here tonight, really enjoyable. We had the sausage, ham and mushroom; and the salami, roasted pepper and sausage pizzas. Both gorgeous, nicely crispy bases and chewy dough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

We ate here tonight, really enjoyable. We had the sausage, ham and mushroom; and the salami, roasted pepper and sausage pizzas. Both gorgeous, nicely crispy bases and chewy dough

I'll be intrested to try it, thanks

Just as a general, please keep this to one or two posts about restaurants and experiences, don't drag on a conversation about specific restaurants please as firstly it's very boring for those of us that drop in regularly & secondly makes us very open to being sued unless it's a first hand experience, in which case you should be taking it up with the restaurant rather than here.

Happy eating guys n gals

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭nomeban

Edit: Question: I was meeting some vegetarian friends the other night at short notice. Cafe Paridiso was a bit out of budget and i didn't have much time to research anywhere else, so we ended up at Yaun Ming Yaun (they said noodles and stuff was good) which I enjoyed, but i'm not so sure they did. Is there anywhere around that is vegetarian friendly, more on the casual side of things? It doesn't have to be fully vegetarian, just with a nice few options.

I spotted a new veggie place on McCurtain Street. Between Spice Route and Lennox's. I can't remember what it's called but the menu was very veggie, perhaps even vegan. Fairly tiny place but I'd like to give it a shot some day even though I am a meat eater. The menu seemed tasty enough.
    steady on, The Raj beats Haveli easily. I always felt Haveli to be only average.

Raj is the best Indian I've ever had - and I was only there once. Lamb Rogan Josh was so delish I had to take a photo of it. I've been to Haveli too by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Apparently there's a new Indian on North Main Street? Not sure what it's called (edit: just checked - it's called Spice Inn) or what it's like though!

I had delivery from this place a few times and it was alright. More of a fruity than spicy type curry, but MASSIVE portions and pretty tasty.

Then I went there and now I just can't. Everything was filthy in there, including the plates we were given that were wiped down with a filthy hand towel as the waiter was handing them out. I just can't imagine how the kitchen would look. *shudder*

Now that Indian Palace has closed down I am totally out of any good curry places in city center. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Went to Orso on Pembroke St after work on Fri. any other time I've been there it's a lunch time visit . We were lucky as we got in just before 6 and didn't have to wait for a table . It filled up very quickly . So tasty... I had full sea bass on the bone served with ribbons of courgette and a side salad . €20 . My friend ate beef patties which were served with a yoghurt type dressing . Also delicious . Very nice staff. Seating is tight so not much privacy but a fusion of tastes ..Would recommend .

I got to Iyers on Saturday. It was really, really good. I'll be back:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Andip wrote: »
    I'll be intrested to try it, thanks

Just as a general, please keep this to one or two posts about restaurants and experiences, don't drag on a conversation about specific restaurants please as firstly it's very boring for those of us that drop in regularly & secondly makes us very open to being sued unless it's a first hand experience, in which case you should be taking it up with the restaurant rather than here.

Happy eating guys n gals

Just so ya know if you like La Tana you should love Palmento, this is one of the brothers new pizzeria.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

My self and the O/H were in Finders in Nohoval on sat. Mainly fish and fairly limited offering, however the same can be said in most of the fish shops this week. I had crab claws in a gratin sauce for a starter and duckling for mains. herself had crab avocado first and monkfish scampi for mains. All were served with veg, potatoe gratin, and chips. With a shared desert and 1 glass of wine the bill was €86. Pricey but enjoyable. Will go again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

rob316 wrote: »
    Just so ya know if you like La Tana you should love Palmento, this is one of the brothers new pizzeria.

I was in there last night - lovely pizza. It's great to finally have a decent pizza place in Douglas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

roundymac wrote: »
    My self and the O/H were in Finders in Nohoval on sat. Mainly fish and fairly limited offering, however the same can be said in most of the fish shops this week. I had crab claws in a gratin sauce for a starter and duckling for mains. herself had crab avocado first and monkfish scampi for mains. All were served with veg, potatoe gratin, and chips. With a shared desert and 1 glass of wine the bill was €86. Pricey but enjoyable. Will go again.

I love the Finders Inn, I couldn't recommend the place highly enough.
    I have to get back down to it sometime soon.

I'm thinking of heading to the Electric Fish Bar during the week.

Any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

It's awesome, I really love it! But you might want to give them a buzz and check they are open. In times of bad weather like this week they've been known to close temporarily because they can't get the fresh fish!

incidentally, we had a take away from the spice inn at the weekend and it was fab.
    I had the jalfreezi - no idea how to spell it - it was so good. The naan was amazing - smelt so home made - great texture.
    He had something with lentils and lamb - was also v good - v big.
    The starters were poor though - but I think transporting the food plays a role here - too much condensation going on inside the pack.
    Portions are massive though - there is defo enough in one for two hungry people - maybe add a naan and rice to fill.
    Not sure I would eat in there - but take out was good.
    Wanted to get one from the bombay palace but it does not deliver.

Anyone ever got a curry from spice route? I believe its good for kebabs but what about curry?

Anyone ever got a curry from spice route? I believe its good for kebabs but what about curry?

Spice Route has the best Indian Curry deal I've ever seen. Go in and ask for the "Chicken Tikka Masala Special Offer".

For €6 you get Chicken Tikka, Pilau Rice, Samosa, Poppadom, Naan Bread and a bottle of water. It's a small portion of curry & rice but the whole thing fills you up anyway. I've never tried their other curries as this one is good enough and always hits the spot. The chicken is delicious and melt in your mouth.

You can also ask for it to be extra spicy if you like.

They don't do delivery so you have to eat in or take away.

a2BzaEf.jpg

nomeban wrote: »
    Spice Route has the best Indian Curry deal I've ever seen. Go in and ask for the "Chicken Tikka Masala Special Offer".

For €6 you get Chicken Tikka, Pilau Rice, Samosa, Poppadom, Naan Bread and a bottle of water. It's a small portion of curry & rice but the whole thing fills you up anyway. I've never tried their other curries as this one is good enough and always hits the spot. The chicken is delicious and melt in your mouth.

You can also ask for it to be extra spicy if you like.

They don't do delivery so you have to eat in or take away.

a2BzaEf.jpg

is this only for lunch time?

is this only for lunch time?

No the opposite actually! Only after lunch. They start doing the curries after 3 or 4pm, can't remember exactly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

No the opposite actually! Only after lunch. They start doing the curries after 3 or 4pm, can't remember exactly.

I'm hungry now looking at that. I love curries.

the jalfreezi really is amazing…

kebabs must be amazing from here - the naan is so good..but if i ate indian like this on a regualar basis i would not fit into my clothes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Had a fantastic steak in Elbow lane. They had two steaks on the menu, t-bone or sirloin (sirloin was the meat special). It came with charred gem lettuce and goat cheese salad. That place is a carnivore's paradise. There is a veggie option on the menu too, grilled haloumi, but I'd be slow to bring a vegetarian there. A lot of stuff being gnawed off the bone, meat juices dripping all over the place. Might not be everyone's style, but it sure was mine. YUM!

Chargrilled homemade marshmallows for dessert with hot blackberries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Had a fantastic steak in Elbow lane. They had two steaks on the menu, t-bone or sirloin (sirloin was the meat special). It came with charred gem lettuce and goat cheese salad. That place is a carnivore's paradise. There is a veggie option on the menu too, grilled haloumi, but I'd be slow to bring a vegetarian there. A lot of stuff being gnawed off the bone, meat juices dripping all over the place. Might not be everyone's style, but it sure was mine. YUM!

That's next on our list to try! Some friends of ours went there last week and said it was pretty good...

anything less meat lover/non vegi?

anything less meat lover/non vegi?

They do a fish of the day special... it was smoked cod I think when we were in, boats had not been out in the bad weather. And a scallop dish. Menus are here.

http://elbowlane.ie/

For those looking for a new mexican restaurant, looks like there is one just open upstairs above burrito and blues. Called El Mercado. I'd love to know how this goes, Cork has been missing a competitor for Cafe Mexicana.

https://www.facebook.com/elmercadocork

And they are running a grabone deal for a few weeks...
    http://www.grabone.ie/cork/el-mercado-cork-city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

When I looked into burritos and blues, I thought the food looked terrible - I didn't bother having anything.
    "born from burritos and blues " doesn't inspire confidence for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

When I looked into burritos and blues, I thought the food looked terrible - I didn't bother having anything.
    "born from burritos and blues " doesn't inspire confidence for me.

I thought the same, even when passing but heard from a chap that wouldn't be eating rubbish now that it was very nice..

jes anything is better than Cafe Mexicana.

Just wondering has anyone gone to the Ivory Tower recently. Have been calling and there is no ring tone, then emailed and have heard nothing back

There's another Asian street food place opening up near the train station.

This is getting out of hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Milly33 wrote: »
    I thought the same, even when passing but heard from a chap that wouldn't be eating rubbish now that it was very nice..

jes anything is better than Cafe Mexicana.

Just wondering has anyone gone to the Ivory Tower recently. Have been calling and there is no ring tone, then emailed and have heard nothing back

Cafe Mexicana is a great restaurant. Really nice food at good prices. Chicken Nachos and a Banana Baileys. Mmmm...

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Cafe Mexicana is a great restaurant. Really nice food at good prices. Chicken Nachos and a Banana Baileys. Mmmm...

ha ha not always - i had fajiata's there and they were so bad it was almost funny… the chef must have been off that night..

and it would be great it it served actual mexican food like tacos - the tortiala type… like in actual mexico

place is v v small also - so cramped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Cafe Mex isn't altogether a lost cause, if you like bland microwaved food of no determinable style.
    TBH you could do better in the freezer section of any Lidl, Aldi, Mace, Centra etc.
    It sure ain't Mexican food (although I'd guess they have crap studenty nosh houses there too) and it won't harm you, but why bother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh god not it isn't... Was shocked like above we got food in there one night and they best thing on the plate was the beans.. It was slop, not even presented nicely.. Oh I rem Cactus Jacks in Dubai now there was a Mexican place like what the Café should be..

We went in were asked to move three times after being told to pick out own seat, the last time I told them no we weren't moving.. Then we eventually ordered, my drink was gone when he picked up the plates ordered another, and we got the slop on a plate, and tried to get the waiter no where to be seen, eventually after diner when we had coffee he arrived with the drink, he said sorry he had to go out and buy a bottle to make the drink I was like well now you know what to do with it.. Mad rubbish staff and rubbish food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Cafe Mex was nice when I was young - I don't know if that was because I hadn't travelled much at that stage, or because it was actually nice back then.

But, I ate there about 2 years ago with friends and found it really poor. Wouldn't waste my money or time returning unfortunately.

dudara wrote: »
    Cafe Mex was nice when I was young - I don't know if that was because I hadn't travelled much at that stage, or because it was actually nice back then.

But, I ate there about 2 years ago with friends and found it really poor. Wouldn't waste my money or time returning unfortunately.

Totally agree, used to love Café Mexicana years ago but in the last 5 years or so it's gone really poor; and they have always been pricy - 18e for fajitas or something like that - crazy

Ah now, I've a soft spot for cafe mexicana. A big plate of nachos and a pitcher of margharitas with buddies. yum yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Ah now, I've a soft spot for cafe mexicana. A big plate of nachos and a pitcher of margharitas with buddies. yum yum.

And it will cost like 40 euro

• Advertisement

And it will cost like 40 euro

Nachos are 6, how much is the margarita now? Pitcher used to be 18.

New Asian spot opening up near Cork Art Supplies. Prince or cook or Marlboro stree . Can never remember which is which.

New Asian spot opening up near Cork Art Supplies. Prince or cook or Marlboro stree . Can never remember which is which.

another one? man i can't keep up…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

If it's known as Asian that's a bad sign, wonder if they're gonna do indian and vietnamese dishes like Ramen lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Went to Elbow Lane and have to agree with previous poster(s?), the food was awesome. Started with what was some kind of chorizo like jam on toast and followed with what was essentially a giant arancini made out of duck risotto. Blew my mind, twice.

Company had the shrimp starter which was the only thing that wasn't very impressive with the meal, they were whole shrimp in some kind of sauce. Not sure if it was his peeling skills or the shrimp themselves, but they were very unsatisfying, not really a lot left after peeling. His sirloin with bernaise butter was glorious, though for a big lad I'd say getting some chips or some other side would be a good idea.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement