Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Was in East Village last week for food. Thought it was pretty awful and the service not great either, we ate in the bar though so not sure if that's par for the course there.

Also had dinner in Orso over the weekend which was fantastic as usual. Delicious food, great prices and super service - just love it there.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Ate at Il Vino Saturday night. The tapas we shared for starter were grand. My main of hake with chorizo and lentils was mighty delicious though. Nomnomnom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

northgirl wrote: »
    Was in East Village last week for food. Thought it was pretty awful and the service not great either, we ate in the bar though so not sure if that's par for the course there.

Oh the East Village is shocking. We have eaten in both the bar and restaurant and I wouldn't go back. Food is over seasoned and their is just too much of it also. I had to tell the waiter stop bringing food out as we had no room left on the table. We were wedged in, the restaurant upstairs is very loud, so you are better sitting downstairs and the service is rubbish they have it all wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Milly33 wrote: »
    northgirl wrote: »

Oh the East Village is shocking. We have eaten in both the bar and restaurant and I wouldn't go back. Food is over seasoned and their is just too much of it also. I had to tell the waiter stop bringing food out as we had no room left on the table. We were wedged in, the restaurant upstairs is very loud, so you are better sitting downstairs and the service is rubbish they have it all wrong

Its the most over rated and over hyped restaurant in cork. The people who love it are the people who go there to be seen there. Its cool to go to the village ya know........!

I have to say I agree.. Have never come across such a poser pub/bar... It is a shame because Soho in town although still a little poser-ish downstairs the restaurant upstairs is lovely they have it down to a tee, doesn't matter what you are wearing or how you look, service is always the same and the food is spot on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Milly33 wrote: »
    I have to say I agree.. Have never come across such a poser pub/bar... It is a shame because Soho in town although still a little poser-ish downstairs the restaurant upstairs is lovely they have it down to a tee, doesn't matter what you are wearing or how you look, service is always the same and the food is spot on

To be honest I was pretty shocked by how rude some of the waiting staff were. Overall, they seemed extremely overworked and unhappy and it was very apparent.

They have been like that since day one in there.. I hate this even if they are unhappy in work why work there. I get fine jobs aren't great at the moment but that isn't the customers fault..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭mirm

We went to Pho over the weekend, third time there. Very disappointed, food was very bland and the service was shockingly bad. I would find it hard to give it another go

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭nomeban

mirm wrote: »
    We went to Pho over the weekend, third time there. Very disappointed, food was very bland and the service was shockingly bad. I would find it hard to give it another go

I also had a bad dinner in PHO. Went for the vegetarian option - it was disgusting. Dry french beans, some dry tofu, a few other things, maybe beansprouts. All tasteless except for the dollop of satay sauce on the plate. I couldn't finish it.

Their chicken curry is delish tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Boardwalk Bar and Grill is closing down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Vinta81 wrote: »

Link/Source? Don't see it mentioned anywhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Dead area, not surprised. Food was never great there either.

kingtut wrote: »
    Link/Source? Don't see it mentioned anywhere...

Its closed. Facebook, and website gone too.

rob316 wrote: »
    Its closed. Facebook, and website gone too.

:eek: very sudden! :eek:

Twas on 96fm this morning. Never had the pleasure of eating there myself but anything I heard was all bad

:eek: very sudden! :eek:

Gately is a ruthless businessman I wouldn't be surprised if the staff knew nothing and he just closed there and then the last night. Site down, facebook gone wipe out all traces of it practically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sad to see something close, but I was not a fan. Hope something else goes in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

Never really liked The Boardwalk. Shame for the staff though.

Ate in Uncle Pete's on Paul St twice in the past week and despite the place being very small we were impressed with the food, really tasty. And a good Vegetarian selection too. Also had dinner in Strasbourg Goose lastnight and it was lovely. The owner served us and she was very friendly and chatty.

Dead area, not surprised. Food was never great there either.

I'm always surprised that this "dead area" is not more popular. It's really stylish and looks great with all the lighting. Went for a few pints in one of the pubs there one night, probably boardwalk.

Gately is a ruthless businessman I wouldn't be surprised if the staff knew nothing and he just closed there and then the last night. Site down, facebook gone wipe out all traces of it practically.

I only ever ate there once and have to say the food was AMAZING! However going by recent comments/reviews it went down hill, in fact I had booked dinner there for valentines night.

Just rang them and they said they have been closed since Saturday, also said someone else is dealing with restaurant side but to be honest I doubt I'll get any e-mail from them to say "sorry but your booking has been cancelled as we are closed etc".

Were they not part of the hotel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Doesn't that Gately guy own the Montenotte Hotel also? My parents had dinner there with my aunt and uncle last week as they had come to Cork to visit and were staying there - the food was absolutely terrible. We had a drink with them then another night in the hotel bar and I don't know what it is about the place - just not a very welcoming vibe. Plus the loos were bloody freezing!!

If it keeps up like that I'd say the Boardwalk won't be the only business of his closing.

Has anyone every reserved an area in Sober Lane for food and drinks after work? I emailed them and sent them a PM on FB but no response yet - emailed them early this morning and then sent them a PM before lunch - can't ring them at the moment but surely they should respond on Facebook?

leahyl wrote: »
    Has anyone every reserved an area in Sober Lane for food and drinks after work? I emailed them and sent them a PM on FB but no response yet - emailed them early this morning and then sent them a PM before lunch - can't ring them at the moment but surely they should respond on Facebook?

I have (back in October), I filled in the form online and they responded the next day

http://soberlane.com/email/

I doubt they would confirm a booking through facebook to be honest so e-mail is prob best.

I have (back in October), I filled in the form online and they responded the next day

http://soberlane.com/email/

I doubt they would confirm a booking through facebook to be honest so e-mail is prob best.

Cool thanks, jaysus I didn't think it'd take that long to confirm a booking!

Cool thanks, jaysus I didn't think it'd take that long to confirm a booking!

No prob, reason it takes so long is prob due to a combination of e-mails/facebook not being checked frequently, staff having to check booking requests with management etc ...

No prob, reason it takes so long is prob due to a combination of e-mails/facebook not being checked frequently, staff having to check booking requests with management etc ...

I don't buy that - they're on FB every bloody minute posting things! Anyway, I'll be patient...

I don't buy that - they're on FB every bloody minute posting things! Anyway, I'll be patient...

I don't know, perhaps they have a person dedicated to bookings who isn't in today, not sure .... as it happens I e-mailed this morning to enquire about a booking, I'll post here when/if they reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Don't they have a phone?

Ludo wrote: »
    Don't they have a phone?

Yes, but can't ring at the mo, they quite openly advertise their email and Facebook on their website anyway so you shouldn't have to ring them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Loire wrote: »
    Went to On the Pigs Back in Douglas on Sat for lunch. Think it's a really nice place. Staff are lovely and their beef & mushroom pie is very good. Parking outside the door helps too for anyone who is not able to walk very far (older people, for example).

Loire.

I love this place. I really hope to get there for some coffee and cake on Thursday.

Last time I was in looking for pâté and Brie for new years eve and they had neither due to the whole Christmas mass greed situation. Anyway the nice French lady suggested an alternative to the Brie which was lovely and I picked up some terrine to do me instead of the late. I ordered a take away coffe and she wouldn't charge me for the coffee because they didn't have the two things I wanted. I thought that was really nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Loire wrote: »
    Went to On the Pigs Back in Douglas on Sat for lunch. Think it's a really nice place. Staff are lovely and their beef & mushroom pie is very good. Parking outside the door helps too for anyone who is not able to walk very far (older people, for example).

Loire.

I agree, went here to pick up a few bits for Christmas presents, ended up spending nearly €40, bit expensive but it is artisan produce and very good and a treat. Wanted to eat but was busy and we didn't have the best table but will try again for food. Great to hear good things about it, will try their pie from your review. They were friendly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Had a ploughmans there yesterday, I'm still stuffed, it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭skippey

First time in Strasbourg goose Saturday night and was well impressed
    The food was amazing, so tasty, well priced and staff were brill.
    Looking forward to going back soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Went to Liberty Grill for dinner tonight, excellent spot. The food is good and fresh, had chicken wings and a burger which, despite being lovely, was hard to eat as it was so big! Service pretty good too, although it was early. I know it's a well recognised spot but I said I'd throw in my own experience as I'd only previously been there for lunch before :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Many times. But email them. You will get a response quicker that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Personally quite sad that Boardwalk closed down. I really liked it for steak and I found the service to always be amazing. Also found an article that confirms the closure if that's of interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭SK76

I know not the city, but I also see Crackpots in Kinsale is for sale. I like that place, hope the chef stays on!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Can anyone recommend restaurants that have nice wheat-free and dairy-free options on their menu in the city?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend restaurants that have nice wheat-free and dairy-free options on their menu in the city?

Quay Co-Op used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Orso Kitchen & Bar on Pembroke St!

• Advertisement

There's a spot beside Tesco Paul street that are always advertising gluten free this that and the other. Uncle Pete's I think?

Got in to El Mercado, the new mexican place.

It's nice. Very casual, food was fresh and very tasty... but it didn't have enough chilli in anything for my taste. Even the battered chilli's were kinda tame, despite the girl warning us they would blow our heads off. Chilli sauce on the table to add yourself if you want.

The menu is styled like wahaca in London, small plates of things, but you order a few to share. tacos, tostadas, quesadillas.

They do churros as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Hhhhmmmm churros....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Yeah, I was there last night and the food was nice, really fresh and authentic feel to it. Carne asada soft tacos were really nice, fresh guacamole with warm tortilla chips, really good sweet potato fries. Nom! Definitely not seen the last of me.

The only thing I wasn't impressed with was actually the churros. :p No chocolate pot (sacrilege!) and I think the oil wasn't hot enough so they were a bit greasy and not properly cooked through.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

nomeban wrote: »
    There's a spot beside Tesco Paul street that are always advertising gluten free this that and the other. Uncle Pete's I think?

Yeah they definitely have gluten free pizzas anyway at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Tried the new wings place on Washington Street yesterday, didn't go for the wings though as they had run out by lunchtime and were in the process of getting more from the English Market! Had the Toro Loco burger, wasn't ridiculously spicy (as was advertised) but was quite nice. They were still in the process of setting up the seats upstairs so there wasn't must space, will head back when there is and go through their wings options!

Anybody been to that Soba place in Glanmire? Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭corkchick88

skippey wrote: »
    First time in Strasbourg goose Saturday night and was well impressed
    The food was amazing, so tasty, well priced and staff were brill.
    Looking forward to going back soon.

I absolutely love the strasbourg goose. My favourite. Food is always amazing and such good value.

If you want a booking for Saturday night you better book in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

Markcheese wrote: »
    Hhhhmmmm churros....

soft tacos like you get in real mexico? As oppose to the shell ones you usually get..?

sporina wrote: »
    soft tacos like you get in real mexico? As oppose to the shell ones you usually get..?

Yeah the tacos are soft there. Tostados are the crispy ones.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement