Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭nomeban

Went to that Rooster PilPil place in Ballincollig last night.

Other than the strange name (they don't sell any turkey!) it was feckin delish.

Got a Lebanese half chicken - it's just a half chicken cooked on a charcoal grill and given to you straight up. Really delicious and marinated in spices and the best part is the charcoal grill flavour.

Also got a chicken wrap - yummy. When I think of wrap I think of the cold dry plastic chicken Centra crap - this is far from it.

Each main comes with a choice of 2 sides so it wasn't just a half chicken lying on the plate.

Great value too - 26euro for 1 starter, 2 mains, 4 sides.

I will be returning. Thumbs up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Is Rooster Pil Pil any connection to Rooster Peri Peri? There's a banner over the building next to Lal-Quilla in Douglas Village about a Rooster Pil Pil coming soon and it showed up shortly after Rooster Peri Peri opened. Seems odd if they're unconnected that they have such similar names but also odd if they're connected that they'd be looking at two locations so close to each other.

Perhaps it's another new craze? There are Asian street food places allover the place too.

The rooster "pil pil" one is halal though. So Muslims can eat there too. Not sure about the "pirirpiri".

edit: I just did a bit of googling.

Rooster "Piri Piri" is a massive UK chain, and the Douglas branch is their first "international" opening. Menu seems fairly yummy.

It seems the Rooster "PilPil" in Ballincollig opened in October, and "Piri" opened in Douglas in November. Both have pretty much identical menus but they are not related.

It's confusing alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

I'm in Cork on business for a few days and really fancy a steak tonight. Looking for recommendations from those in the know

Staying in the Kingsley and budgeting about 20 quid. I'll be eating alone so not somewhere that I'll stick out like a sore thumb.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

dan185 wrote: »
    I'm in Cork on business for a few days and really fancy a steak tonight. Looking for recommendations from those in the know

Staying in the Kingsley and budgeting about 20 quid. I'll be eating alone so not somewhere that I'll stick out like a sore thumb.

Cheers

If you head into Washington St, the best steak I've had in Cork was in Liberty Grill. I like my steak blue and that's exactly how they do it ;) It's a nice casual spot and if you get a bench seat by the window it's a nice spot to look out or read while you eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Tried the El Mercado place on Friday. Really enjoyed it, tasty fresh and well presented.
    Me, the OH got the €24.95 sharing menu between us. Really good value I thought, plenty of food. Included
    2 sides (sweet potato fries and fries with chilli)
    Chicken Tacos x 3
    Tostada x 2
    Quesidiila x 3

Great service too. My only criticism is there was very little spice in the chilli.

Look forward to going again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Are you driving? Best steak in the country is The Thady Inn... just west of ballincollig.

If you're limited to the city, I think Elbow Lane's T-bone steak is the best of them at the moment (but not open Mondays!). Liberty grill also good. Both are supplied by the same butchers/farm anyway afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

nomeban wrote: »
    Perhaps it's another new craze? There are Asian street food places allover the place too.

The rooster "pil pil" one is halal though. So Muslims can eat there too. Not sure about the "pirirpiri".

edit: I just did a bit of googling.

Rooster "Piri Piri" is a massive UK chain, and the Douglas branch is their first "international" opening. Menu seems fairly yummy.

It seems the Rooster "PilPil" in Ballincollig opened in October, and "Piri" opened in Douglas in November. Both have pretty much identical menus but they are not related.

It's confusing alright.

Always thought they were the same place but obviously not! Went to the Douglas one on Saturday for lunch and it was really nice. Got steak kebabs and then the half chicken. They only give one side which was a bit stingy but I got the sweet potato fries and they were the best I've ever had. The chicken and steak was damn tasty too. Look forward to going back and much try the Ballincollig spot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

pwurple wrote: »
    Are you driving? Best steak in the country is The Thady Inn... just west of ballincollig.

If you're limited to the city, I think Elbow Lane's T-bone steak is the best of them at the moment (but not open Mondays!). Liberty grill also good. Both are supplied by the same butchers/farm anyway afaik.

I hadn't thought of the Thady inn , with years - a bit out of town though - best steak I ever had in cork was in the four liars, up by the firkin crane, dunno if it still exists -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Markcheese wrote: »
    best steak I ever had in cork was in the four liars, up by the firkin crane, dunno if it still exists -

Ah now.
    Surely you're joking?
    I had one of the worst meals of my life there.
    They tried to serve us instant coffee, amongst other abominations.

I went to the Liberty Grill as I was working around the corner in the evening so was easy to get to. Great shout though, I've never had a steak cooked as well as I ordered as that was, medium rare was perfect.

Happy to take more recommendations for a restaurant tonight. Got more time this evening so can drive local! Fish would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

I went to the Liberty Grill as I was working around the corner in the evening so was easy to get to. Great shout though, I've never had a steak cooked as well as I ordered as that was, medium rare was perfect.

Happy to take more recommendations for a restaurant tonight. Got more time this evening so can drive local! Fish would be nice.

Love Liberty Grill for steak, my favourite restaurant in Cork at the moment is ORSO and they usually have good fish specials AFAIK :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

For a lone diner, Elbow Lane is fantastic.
    You can sit at a comfortable counter and chat with the friendly staff. Food is simple yet unusual. Great meat and whole grilled fish.

northgirl wrote: »
    my favourite restaurant in Cork at the moment is ORSO and they usually have good fish specials AFAIK :)

Orso, I like the food... but god almighty it's pokey! The tables must be 12 inches square, you're squashed in on top of the table next to you.

Last time I was there I was next to a really annoying table of hipster dubs. Girls were mopey wearing glass-less glasses and the guys were a gaggle of waxed mustaches. All poking their food to bits looking for hidden gluten, and talking about their next tv3 gigs. I like a teensy bit more space between me and the unwashed masses so I don't have to resist the urge to slap them out of their vacuous jibber jabber.

I've had the monkfish there, which was the only fish available every time I've been. Fish specials have all been gone.

For fish, try the electric fish bar
    http://www.electriccork.com/fish-bar/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Orso, I like the food... but god almighty it's pokey! The tables must be 12 inches square, you're squashed in on top of the table next to you.

Last time I was there I was next to a really annoying table of hipster dubs. Girls were mopey wearing glass-less glasses and the guys were a gaggle of waxed mustaches. All poking their food to bits looking for hidden gluten, and talking about their next tv3 gigs. I like a teensy bit more space between me and the unwashed masses so I don't have to resist the urge to slap them out of their vacuous jibber jabber.

I've had the monkfish there, which was the only fish available every time I've been. Fish specials have all been gone.

For fish, try the electric fish bar
    http://www.electriccork.com/fish-bar/

Depends when you go, was just giving my tuppenceworth.

• Advertisement

I've had excellent whole sea bass in Elbow Lane, and in Orso. Both are nice to sit at the counter if you are a lone diner.

Second vote also for Electric Fish bar. It's a little more tapas-style I suppose, but really top quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Went to that Rooster PilPil place in Ballincollig last night.

Other than the strange name (they don't sell any turkey!) it was feckin delish.

Got a Lebanese half chicken - it's just a half chicken cooked on a charcoal grill and given to you straight up. Really delicious and marinated in spices and the best part is the charcoal grill flavour.

Also got a chicken wrap - yummy. When I think of wrap I think of the cold dry plastic chicken Centra crap - this is far from it.

Each main comes with a choice of 2 sides so it wasn't just a half chicken lying on the plate.

Great value too - 26euro for 1 starter, 2 mains, 4 sides.

I will be returning. Thumbs up.

There is a one of these restaurants in Douglas, sounds good, but, stupid question here, do they cater for veggies? I'm not but boyfriend is.

On recommendation from 'Loire' I went to 'On The Pigs Back' in Douglas last Saturday for brunch. So, off we went in and it was busy and the girl told us to wait. So another couple came in after us but went around the other way so it looked like they were ahead of us, five mins passed and the same girl looked at me and I said, "table for two please" and she had just given someone else our seat so we were annoyed and just left and went to Puccinos instead (in Douglas), I love that place, it is always buzzing, and they are so friendly, they have a great choice on their menu, they do breakfast all day and it's good value. I will always go back to Puccinos in Douglas but I've heard bad reviews about the one in Ballincollig, pity cause they're a good business. I will go back to 'On The Pigs Back' but I will go very early!! I was really annoyed with the girl who worked there, she should know who is first. I've dealt with the same girl before and on both occasions I got the impression she was stressed, she doesn't smile often but other staff in 'On The Pigs Back' are nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

Ah now.
    Surely you're joking?

if it is still open - it should not be..

put it this way - nothing goes to waste there - not even customers left over veg… fact

Oleander wrote: »
    On recommendation from 'Loire' I went to 'On The Pigs Back' in Douglas last Saturday for brunch. So, off we went in and it was busy and the girl told us to wait. So another couple came in after us but went around the other way so it looked like they were ahead of us, five mins passed and the same girl looked at me and I said, "table for two please" and she had just given someone else our seat so we were annoyed and just left and went to Puccinos instead (in Douglas), I love that place, it is always buzzing, and they are so friendly, they have a great choice on their menu, they do breakfast all day and it's good value. I will always go back to Puccinos in Douglas but I've heard bad reviews about the one in Ballincollig, pity cause they're a good business. I will go back to 'On The Pigs Back' but I will go very early!! I was really annoyed with the girl who worked there, she should know who is first. I've dealt with the same girl before and on both occasions I got the impression she was stressed, she doesn't smile often but other staff in 'On The Pigs Back' are nice.

i miss puccinos from the city centre - a great loss

• Advertisement

Ah now.
    Surely you're joking?

It's a long long time ago that I was last in there - but seriously it was good - once - as I said I've no idea if it's still going or even how long ago it's gone -

And I get told off by my family for being a critical fecker -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Appreciate the fish recommendations.

I ignored them all and had my first KCs instead. Holy Jesus. It was incredible.

Appreciate the fish recommendations.

I ignored them all and had my first KCs instead. Holy Jesus. It was incredible.

You should of went to the Fish Wife, now that is incredible!

What makes KCs so good? Next to all the other chippers/burger joints.

I was there once I think, about 10 years ago, but it didn't stand out to me as anything special.

Malari wrote: »

I was there once I think, about 10 years ago, but it didn't stand out to me as anything special.

I think when you queue for 30 mins in the rain, wind or shine you will have built up such a hunger anything will taste amazing. I've had it numerous times but its so overrated, stingy portions and just greasy. Some things are nice in there but no worth the wait.

The Fish Wife on McCurtain St is head and shoulders above any chipper in the city IMO. Honourable mentions then for The Golden Fry (not what it was though) and Chish and Fips in Crosshaven.

Malari wrote: »

Good quality meat and fish from local suppliers, in proper bread, with real mayo etc. Which is what a lot of other traditional chippers do... so far so good, the basics are right.

If you go in and get a sausage and chips, it's the same as any other good traditional chipper that cuts their own spuds. If you branch out a bit and get something like their blue cheese and bacon burger, or the king creole pitta, then that's the stuff you don't see in other places. That's the special bit.

Then you become a regular and start asking for your own creations, which they do perfectly without batting an eyelid.

YOM!

I like the golden fry as well for fish, except the bastards have gotten my change wrong or forgotton part of my order a couple of times now which makes me angry.

Not tried the fish wife, just because it's not on my regular path, but I'll get there some day.

rob316 wrote: »
    I think when you queue for 30 mins in the rain, wind or shine you will have built up such a hunger anything will taste amazing. I've had it numerous times but its so overrated, stingy portions and just greasy. Some things are nice in there but no worth the wait.

The Fish Wife on McCurtain St is head and shoulders above any chipper in the city IMO. Honourable mentions then for The Golden Fry (not what it was though) and Chish and Fips in Crosshaven.

I don't frequent chippers very often, but I've there a couple of times, and it's been nice, I agree. Although I had to order my 3rd choice - they were sold out of my first two choices!

Chipper aficionados: where is best in the city to get thin, crispy, well-done chips? I hate the big fat rare chips you get in some places.

rob316 wrote: »

Totally agree with you, KCs is very overrated. I don't like their chips (whatever potatoes they use), I got scampi a few years ago and they were so mean with the portion (it was €9 for five small pieces). I was livid and stupid not to go back and complain and very rarely when nothing else is open and I've had a few drinks, I'll get their cheese burger, it's always flat and squished like they haven't put any love into it!! I prefer McDonalds burgers by far. Now saying that, I will try their King Creole some day as people do rave about it.

I love the Fish Wife on McCurtain St, I think they do the best chips in the city. Haven't tried Chish & Fips but that is such a good name for a chipper.

Totally agree with you, KCs is very overrated. I don't like their chips (whatever potatoes they use), I got scampi a few years ago

I never remember them having scampi. Certainly don't do them now. Was it somewhere else?

• Advertisement

I never remember them having scampi. Certainly don't do them now. Was it somewhere else?

No, it was definitely at KC's, about four years ago, obviously it wasn't a big seller if it's not on the menu now, I always said I would never go back there for scampi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

I love the Fish Wife on McCurtain St, I think they do the best chips in the city. Haven't tried Chish & Fips but that is such a good name for a chipper.

I do like the fish wife too but only for certain things. the haddock is yummie. Scampi ick and the guniess stuff nothing new..

it is very hard to find a good fish and chip place. Where this Chish & Fips place

Chish and fips is Crosshaven I think?

I had a king creole and a garlic chips

The creole was really good, if a little bit off on the 'construction', as in I was biting into chunks of chicken then next bite chunks of lettuce etc.

The garlic sauce and the chips were to die for though. I love a garlic sauce and even though I don't eat chipper food very often, this was the best I've ever tasted.

can you "sit in" in the fishwife? and are they open on sundays?
    if so i thought sunday was a bad day for fish? either none of if there is, its not fresh?

sporina wrote: »
    if so i thought sunday was a bad day for fish? either none of if there is, its not fresh?

You can sit in the Fish Wife but it is very small, anytime I've been in there we got takeaway, I bet it tastes even better when you eat in and everything is hot.

According to their Facebook page they are open 7 days a week and I'm pretty sure we've been in on a Sunday on the way back from town.

I'm pretty sure they will be honest with you about how fresh their fish is but even the supermarkets don't get fresh fish in on a Sunday (same with breads, usually baked on the Saturday). Being a Sunday wouldn't put me off ordering the fish. They're hardly going to sell out of date fish, then they would have a bad reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I've heard great things about the new wings place on Washington street. Anyone been yet? Will probably go there for lunch tomorrow, looking forward to trying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

very very small as in you could fit there if no one else was there.. The Shelbourne across the road, lets you eat there.. You could order and then sit outside there and eat. Yummie defo go for the smoked haddock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

They used to have shrimp too. Was great!
    WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I've heard great things about the new wings place on Washington street. Anyone been yet? Will probably go there for lunch tomorrow, looking forward to trying it.

I was there on Saturday and they were still finding their feet. Didn't try the wings as they had run out of them and were in the process of getting more from the English Market, the upstairs wasn't open yet either so they were turning people away as there weren't enough tables. Had the Toro Loco burger and it was quite good, €12 though so not something I'd be having every day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Dub looking for recommendations for a meal next weekend, what's the name of the wings place??

but1er wrote: »
    Dub looking for recommendations for a meal next weekend, what's the name of the wings place??

I'm a Dub, get a KCs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

but1er wrote: »

It's Wild West Wings on Washington street.

Went today and was pretty impressed. Had a starter portion of both the ribs and wings. The ribs were nice enough, didn't blow my mind or anything but nice. I had the Italiano wings which came with parmesan and a garlic dip, totally up my alley. Plenty of wings even for a starter, loads of parmesan shavings on there, crispy skin... Yum! One of the guys I was with is a real heat fiend and he had the insane wings which gave him a bit of a sweat, he was quite pleased.

going to fenns quay tomorrow night - i have some steak lovers in tow - anyone been?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

going to fenns quay tomorrow night - i have some steak lovers in tow - anyone been?

I have and I LOVE that place. I'm not sure it's a steak lover's kind of place though - not even sure they have straight up steak on the menu.

It's what I'd call modern Irish and the food is so good there. I've had a featherblade of beef in there, which was literally falling apart on the plate and the jus that came with it... some kind of mushroom and red wine concoction that I still dream of. Their version of bacon and cabbage is amazing and they occasionally have a dessert which is kind of like a panna cotta but made with carrageen moss. The food is always inventive, perfectly cooked and tasty.

I have a lot of love for that place, in case it wasn't obvious. ;) But if someone is expecting a steak I don't think I'd take them there. I'd be sad about not going though!

so we went to fenns - the starters and most of the deserts were a non runner but 5 stars for the mains, the service and the general atmosphere… and on the deserts - the flourless chocolate pudding was out of this world….

most had beef dishes and two had fish - monkfish - all plates were almost licked clean - and there was a chef among us,..

so reasonable too..

for those of you who like good food - wanna be a little adventurous, wanna try something new without breaking the bank should try it - v v happily surprised.

and i was delighted as i am the local and the guests were visitors = they were v happy,..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭emeo

Myself and OH went to Pho the new place on Douglas street last week, got a voucher on Living Social and said it was worth a try, passed it a few times and it looked nice.
    Ordered the veg red curry and he got Beef Pho, we ordered fresh spring rolls to share.
    The food came out my and looked well, the Pho which to my understanding was a soupy kinda dish,looked like a salad with noodles and some greens and dull grey beef with some pink bits on top. The curry contained a few bits of unseasoned tofu and a bit of brocolli and tasted like water which some chilli had been fired into, the OH picked at the beef and wouldn't even eat it, the spring rolls were ok, but at 9.99 for three veg spring rolls they would wanna be. Won't be recommending or returning, I didn't bother complaining as I had a voucher but the full plates handed back spoke for themselves

emeo wrote: »
    Myself and OH went to Pho the new place on Douglas street last week, got a voucher on Living Social and said it was worth a try, passed it a few times and it looked nice.
    Ordered the veg red curry and he got Beef Pho, we ordered fresh spring rolls to share.
    The food came out my and looked well, the Pho which to my understanding was a soupy kinda dish,looked like a salad with noodles and some greens and dull grey beef with some pink bits on top. The curry contained a few bits of unseasoned tofu and a bit of brocolli and tasted like water which some chilli had been fired into, the OH picked at the beef and wouldn't even eat it, the spring rolls were ok, but at 9.99 for three veg spring rolls they would wanna be. Won't be recommending or returning, I didn't bother complaining as I had a voucher but the full plates handed back spoke for themselves

I went for the other vegetarian dish Pesambar or something - not great. It sounded really fancy but it was just bone dry tofu, beansprouts, french beans, some cucumber with a few tablespoons of peanut sauce dolloped in the middle. I also left the plate back half eaten.

The chicken curry on the other hand, was delish. A friend had it and I gave it a taste.

I don't know what to think of the place.

I went for the other vegetarian dish Pesambar or something - not great. It sounded really fancy but it was just bone dry tofu, beansprouts, french beans, some cucumber with a few tablespoons of peanut sauce dolloped in the middle. I also left the plate back half eaten.

The chicken curry on the other hand, was delish. A friend had it and I gave it a taste.

the reviews from pho seem to be poor all round.. i know a few who have been there and reports were poor..

hope it improves so it can survive - cos at this rate it won't..
    and afaik the owner use to run the cafe in the glucksman?

Probably been reviewed to death,but, went to market lane this evening (first time in a couple of years ) .Brilliant . Nice menu , reasonable prices,good service and ... The food tasted great .
    Four adults and two kids, mains and desserts,a couple of glasses of vino and tea-coffee less than 130 euros -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

My partner got the same vegetarian dish as yourself, very bland, they could at least have put some seasoning on the tofu. Not a restaurant we will be returning to.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement