Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Anyone been to Annies since it reopened and, what nights do they serve food?

Tried last night and they weren't serving. Website seems to be terribly out of date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

Their website seems defaced!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

evilivor wrote: »
    Anyone been to Annies since it reopened and, what nights do they serve food?

Tried last night and they weren't serving. Website seems to be terribly out of date.

I was there the other night and they serve every night with the exception of Monday & Tuesday. I saw the menu, not particularly to my taste but I'm sure others might like it.

So are they going more towards Oysters style? Or like their take on the annies style

Anything you remember from the menu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

northgirl wrote: »
    I was there the other night and they serve every night with the exception of Monday & Tuesday. I saw the menu, not particularly to my taste but I'm sure others might like it.

Need more info! What was on the menu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

-Toppy- wrote: »
    Their website seems defaced!

did anyone call then to let them know? If not I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Looking at the state of it, I dont think they are even using the website
    That chef they had on it Zico hasnt been there for 4/5 years I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

pwurple wrote: »
    Need more info! What was on the menu?

Gosh sorry I can't remember exactly. There's a starter of breads & hummus etc., a Bouillabaisse, scallops, that's all I can remember :o

Gosh sorry I can't remember exactly. There's a starter of breads & hummus etc., a Bouillabaisse, scallops, that's all I can remember :o

Thanks, I like all of those things! I'll put it on my list of places to try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

hmm i love bouillabaisse..

is the chef from oysters did someone say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Unfortunately, I echo the views on Pho.
    Went with the voucher.
    I won't be back.
    Much much better ingredients than Ramem but no great flavour. My Rendang was very poor. Not like a rendang at all - more like tough, thin, stirfried beef in an overly sweet, not very fragrant, under seasoned sauce. It seems like the chef doesn't know what rendang is.
    Just all very bland and disappointing.

So:
    Ramem : awful
    Pho: meh
    Aroi : love it.

Have to try new one on Fr. Mathew St. and Malay Kitchen at Paradise Place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I've been to the 3 of them a few times now. I think it's hugely dependent on the dish you choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Has anyone tried The Square Table in Blarney? Its my mother's birthday so and thinking of going there. Otherwise thinking of the Thady.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭nomeban

Have to try new one on Fr. Mathew St. and Malay Kitchen at Paradise Place.

Malay Kitchen isn't great. Stodgy boring noodles the two times I went.

Is the place on Fr Mathew street open yet?

nomeban wrote: »
    Malay Kitchen isn't great. Stodgy boring noodles the two times I went.

Is the place on Fr Mathew street open yet?

Yup. Up and running.

Yup. Up and running.

name of the place?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭nomeban

sporina wrote: »
    name of the place?

Chilli Padi.

I guess it's a "chain" now. The first one opened in Ballincollig.

The owner of Chilli Padi was a chef in the first Ramen in Anglesea St as the legend goes.

And the Head Chef of the first Ramen in Anglesea St. used to be a chef in Wagamama!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Had dinner in El Mercado tonight and it was fab! Fresh ingredients, delicious and brilliant prices. I really hope they do well and stick around because I want to go back, a lot!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

bee06 wrote: »
    Had dinner in El Mercado tonight and it was fab! Fresh ingredients, delicious and brilliant prices. I really hope they do well and stick around because I want to go back, a lot!

I really must try this place soon. What did you order?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Where's El Mercado again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Rory Gallagher Square - by Tesco's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

It's upstairs in Burrito and Blues on Paul street.

We had the combo menu thingy they have. You get a choice of one taco (we had steak), one quesadilla (we had chicken) and one tostada (we had fish) and two sides we had slaw and Mexican fries. Loads of food for two people and only 24.95 so great value. We actually can't wait to go back!

Edited to add: my only negative comment is that they have absolutely no signage for it. You go into Burrito and blues and up the stairs to get to it and the only sign for what's up the stairs is for the toilets. If you were passing you'd never know it was there.

That ...And the lack of heat in anything. We doused the whole lot in the spicy sauce on the table, and that was after asking for the hottest thing on the menu. Gimme da chillis!!

And, I'm such an ould grouch,... but food on wooden boards freak me out. How is that cleaned? Plates please.

edit, sounds like I don't like it, but I really did like it! Just, ya know.... The signage, the heat, and the timber. But it's yummo.

What do you guys think of Rockin' Joes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Terrible. I went to the one in Blackpool twice. The chips were bland ordinary chips. I remember Eddie Rickets used have gorgeous chips. I got a salad the first time I went there and it was nothing special either. Eddie Rockets used have a gorgeous salad called burger in basket or something.

Sam Mac wrote: »

Went a couple of times when the burgers were €3. Only had the burger each time and thought it was good. Freshly cooked. Not overcooked. Reasonably good ingredients. Great at that price - nothing special, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Sam Mac wrote: »

oh no its bad, I wasn't a fan of Eddie rockets but at least there was a bit of taste. rockin joes is just slop

Milly33 wrote: »
    oh no its bad, I wasn't a fan of Eddie rockets but at least there was a bit of taste. rockin joes is just slop

I like their burgers. They are nice and big too, and always fresh. Chips are meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jimb433

what is the best indian please

• Advertisement

jimb433 wrote: »

My indian colleagues say Haveli in Douglas, Iyers in the city, or Spice of india in bishopstown. Iyers in the city is pretty authentic south indian. Vegetarian, plenty of dhosas. It's more of a cafe though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭mirm

jimb433 wrote: »

The spice inn North Main Street is amazing, was only there last nite. Never disappoints!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Haveli and the Raj are the 2 best Indian restaurants in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jimb433

thanks guys

anyone tried the pizza in the rising sons or reardens?
    there seems to be a lot of pubs doing pizza - but i wonder how many of them do it well..

i find still that no where beats novecento

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

there seems to be a lot of pubs doing pizza - but i wonder how many of them do it well..

The pizza (Pompeii ) in the Franciscan well is pretty damn good -
    My regular Saturday pizza is volcano at Douglas market (they do Mahon and Wilton too )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    My regular Saturday pizza is volcano at Douglas market (they do Mahon and Wilton too )

funny your name has "cheese" in it too..

reardens call their pizza "volcano" too - doubt its the same supplier though..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

funny your name has "cheese" in it too..

reardens call their pizza "volcano" too - doubt its the same supplier though..?

That's because I sell cheese -
    I've a feeling volcano at markets supply reardans - I've know idea how reardans is cooked what it's like -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

That's because I sell cheese -
    I've a feeling volcano at markets supply reardans - I've know idea how reardans is cooked what it's like -

oh ok..

so volcano supply the ingredients to reardens? but i guess the oven plays a massive role

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Have had both, prefer Rising Sons. The full Irish pizza there is very good.

I had this for the first time recently and while it was tasty enough I found it very soggy - all the toppings just fell off - it wasn't very crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

whatever76 wrote: »

I don't know why GULPD is on this list, we went into today and I personally would not go back. We asked for the wifi code but it did not work, it also has a sign saying that you can only work on a laptop for 20 mins at a time and when it is quiet! I am not a coffee drinker but I love trying different places for hot chocolate but here it was very milky and not hot at all, not to my taste, def more for a child. You pay 20c extra for a chocolate stick, maybe that's what makes it, I didn't go for it as €3 is dear enough. It was very noisy too and only one loo for everyone. Look, it wasn't my cuppa (pardon the pun), I think there are far better places to go to but I know that not all places have wifi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Iyers for lunch on Saturday, Sextant for brunch on Sunday. Both delicious!

Loads of places doing brunch now it seems - must definitely try out Goldbergs and the Sextant, makes a change from Liberty Grill all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

leahyl wrote: »
    Loads of places doing brunch now it seems - must definitely try out Goldbergs and the Sextant, makes a change from Liberty Grill all the time.

Are there many doing brunch on a Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

Sunday Brunch is the new thing now !! All the rage in Dublin. Even have to book to ensure you get a seat for some places its so popular. Hopefully this will kick off in Cork now !!!

Went to The castle Café in Blackrock castle for Sunday brunch few weeks back - well recommend !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I passed Serendipity on the Western Road and I think they were doing brunch. I've never been to it though, so no idea if it's any good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Annies is doing Sunday brunch as well now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I've heard Bodega's Sunday Brunch is good too. Has anyone been? And where exactly is it??

On a side note. Went to Huguenot's Saturday night for a late birthday dinner. The meal was really nice. Had the scallops to start, followed by a confit duck. Himself had the Morceaux sausage, followed by the Poulet Bourguignon, which he pronounced delicious. Sides of Parmesan fries for him, and a Gratin Dauphinoise for me. Slightly disappointed by the Gratin, if I'm honest - thought it was a bit dry. Himself had the chocolate cake with raspberry sorbet, which he loved. I was stuffed at this point, and just had a glass of sherry and coffee.

Very nice meal all round, and nice ambience in the restaurant. We'll be back!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement