Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Malari wrote: »
    I passed Serendipity on the Western Road and I think they were doing brunch. I've never been to it though, so no idea if it's any good.

Serendipity is gorgeous - just had lunch there a few weeks ago and the food was beautiful and very reasonably priced. Going there again on Friday! Would love to try it for dinner as well.

dibkins wrote: »
    Annies is doing Sunday brunch as well now.

What's going on there now? The kitchen is obviously back up and running again? Wonder if they have a new website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I passed Serendipity on the Western Road and I think they were doing brunch. I've never been to it though, so no idea if it's any good.

My brother is always going on about that place - I've never been though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Elbow lane last week for dinner, would highly recommend. Can be a pain getting a table though as they don't take reservations.

sozbox wrote: »
    Elbow lane last week for dinner, would highly recommend. Can be a pain getting a table though as they don't take reservations.

Want to go there too - it's pricy though is it? Market Lane own it which explains the no reservations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I think it's reasonable for the quality of the food served.

And in such a small place I think the no reservation thing works. You can stick your head in early to put your name down and go for a pint while you wait though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

leahyl wrote: »
    What's going on there now? The kitchen is obviously back up and running again? Wonder if they have a new website.

Ate here last week and unfortunately was disappointed. Had the Halloumi salad which was only ok with sides of chunky chips that were great and overcooked broccoli with sliced almonds :(

northgirl wrote: »
    Ate here last week and unfortunately was disappointed. Had the Halloumi salad which was only ok with sides of chunky chips that were great and overcooked broccoli with sliced almonds :(

I read about it on tripadvisor last night and latest reviews are not good at all which is disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

It got taken over by the people from Oysters (i think, there was more a few pages back). Ain't been in since it changed hands, but I walk past it every monday after my music lesson!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

dibkins wrote: »
    It got taken over by the people from Oysters (i think, there was more a few pages back). Ain't been in since it changed hands, but I walk past it every monday after my music lesson!

Not much has changed there to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭sporina

whats the story with electric - every time i try to make a reservation its booked up? and they can only offer me a table at the fish bar..

the menu would be nice but stools? and i think diners sit in a row as oppose to around a table - for those of you who have been there am i right?

if so, thats ok for an informal bite but not a dinner date..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Was only there once. It does have a kinda cool vibe, but it is quite informal. Wouldn't be a bad date spot imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

sporina wrote: »
    whats the story with electric - every time i try to make a reservation its booked up? and they can only offer me a table at the fish bar..

the menu would be nice but stools? and i think diners sit in a row as oppose to around a table - for those of you who have been there am i right?

if so, thats ok for an informal bite but not a dinner date..?

I find the waiting list works well as they are pretty good at calling you back if there are cancellations.

It's not all sitting in a row, sporina, but the tables are high so the seats are stools or bench seating. I've been there with my mom, with friends and with my boyfriend so it can be intimate if you like. They usually only seat you at the bar or facing the window if there's only 2 of you.

It's not all sitting in a row, sporina, but the tables are high so the seats are stools or bench seating. I've been there with my mom, with friends and with my boyfriend so it can be intimate if you like. They usually only seat you at the bar or facing the window if there's only 2 of you.

thanks for that - the fish bar was booked out also in the end - and got no call about a cancellation.. another time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Thoughts on Greene's...?
    Went there recently, 3 course deal for €29
    Being honest it was only ok; portions small and not particularly well presented
    One small side of veg and potato (i'd say one small potato!) to share between two!!
    Desert was very ordinary
    Charging €6.50 for a glass of white wine

Wouldn't be rushing back at all. nice setting and very friendly in fairness though.

Thoughts on Greene's...?
    One small side of veg and potato (i'd say one small potato!) to share between two!!
    Desert was very ordinary

Wouldn't be rushing back at all. nice setting and very friendly in fairness though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

kcb wrote: »
    Thoughts on Greene's...?
    Desert was very ordinary

Went there a few months ago - thought it was great really - think it was a bit dearer than 29 euro for three courses though ...
    In fairness you'd spend 6.50 on vino in a pub -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

went there a few years back when everyone was raving about it, did not impress me at all.

kcb wrote: »
    Thoughts on Greene's...?
    Desert was very ordinary

thats average for a glass of wine - but what was the wine? where was it from? quality etc..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Portions are small alright in greene's, but they always have been. That's their style i guess... Not a giant feed, but good quality.

I haven't been in years actually, last time was with my parents now that I think about it. Always picture it as being for an older crowd, the 50+ bunch. What was the age group like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭.red.

I know Ramen has been done to death here but i went last week to their ballincollig shol for the first time. Couldnt fault anything about it apart from the noise. It was about 530 when we got in and it was manic. I had the pad thai which id never had before and it was savage. The kids got the goujons with rice and a bit of sweet and sour. It was only €6 with a carton of fruice which was great value. My dad got the €6 before 6 which was a red marmasam curry and that was also pretty tasty.
    I passed it a few days later and got the Rendang take away for my lunch in work and again it was really tasty. Bargain too as it was the €6 deal.
    Been in twice and ive been impressed both times. Cant see myself going back to my usual chinese anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

.red. wrote: »
    I know Ramen has been done to death here but i went last week to their ballincollig shol for the first time. Couldnt fault anything about it apart from the noise. It was about 530 when we got in and it was manic. I had the pad thai which id never had before and it was savage. The kids got the goujons with rice and a bit of sweet and sour. It was only €6 with a carton of fruice which was great value. My dad got the €6 before 6 which was a red marmasam curry and that was also pretty tasty.
    I passed it a few days later and got the Rendang take away for my lunch in work and again it was really tasty. Bargain too as it was the €6 deal.
    Been in twice and ive been impressed both times. Cant see myself going back to my usual chinese anytime soon.

The 6 before 6 is the only reason I would go to ramen, its not good value for what you get otherwise. €12.95 for a curry with no mean. €11 for a noodle dish with very little meat. Taste wise its fine but Aroi would be much better value and better quality IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭.red.

rob316 wrote: »
    The 6 before 6 is the only reason I would go to ramen, its not good value for what you get otherwise. €12.95 for a curry with no mean. €11 for a noodle dish with very little meat. Taste wise its fine but Aroi would be much better value and better quality IMO.

A lot of people say that about Aroi. I go in town about twice a year and always treat myself to a big dirty kebab when i do so wont be trying Aroi any time soon.
    As for the lack of meat in Ramen, both dishes i tried had enough for me. Not loads of big chunks but plenty of smaller pieces and a nice bit of veg. I paid full price for the pad thai and if id gotten a similar meal in a chinese take away nearby id have paid about the same for it. Maybe id have gotten more meat but id have had less of the flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Milly33

Don't get Greenes either wouldn't go out of my way to dine there

New Japanese take away place opened on Evergreen St, cant tell you the name (even though its across from my house), its where Yangsee River was.

Went over Friday night when it opened, I generally have a rule not to try somewhere new for a few weeks but I was feeling **** and wanted a quick option.

I got the Pork Katsu and herself had the Yaki Soba. Very reasonable too about 8.50/9.00 per dish. Waited for ages and the place was mobbed as to be expected. I was order 31 and I knew I was getting looking warm food as the 30 to 31 took 10 mins to come.

So ya my meal was just warm but very tasty I must say. Its a Katsu so you can't do much to mess it up but I really enjoyed. Her Soba was lovely too.

I'll try it again next month when they are a bit more up to speed. Great to see that spot so busy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Went to CoqBull recently. They do the same thing as Market Lane with no bookings for small groups. Worse, the only way to stay in a queue is to go for a drink in their bar upstairs. We weren't able to arrange a phone call for when the table was ready so that we could have a drink elsewhere. At least the bar is decent and there's a good atmosphere upstairs too.

The food was very good. Great starter platter with wings and ribs to share between the 4 of us. Seriously good ribs. The burgers were tasty and substantial in size. Chips were nice too. Staff were friendly and helpful and the whole place has a nice vibe to it. Certainly something different for a meal out in Cork. I will be back... just a pity about the booking situation.

That's a shame about the booking! Seems unfair to force people to drink in their own bar if they want a table.

i see that there is a new mexican restaurant where castelli's was on princes st - no website that i can find - its called siesta… hopefully it will create some competition for cafe mexicana - and get them to up their game

• Advertisement

i see that there is a new mexican restaurant where castelli's was on princes st - no website that i can find - its called siesta… hopefully it will create some competition for cafe mexicana - and get them to up their game

The new place el mercado on Paul St is very nice too.

I noticed that too, but haven't heard of anyone who's been there yet. I'll have to try it. Castelli's had died a death so it could be a good change.

rob316 wrote: »
    The new place el mercado on Paul St is very nice too.

i don't get this place - there is no signage afaik to indicate a restaurant there at all..

but siesta looks like an actual restaurant as oppose to street food affair which burrito and blues is..

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭rubicon99

Siesta have a facebook page now, nothing there yet just their logo. Will try it the coming days, hope it's good.

Finally, might be a bit of healthy competition for Café Mexicana, which is pretty average and overpriced lets be honest.

Finally, might be a bit of healthy competition for Café Mexicana, which is pretty average and overpriced lets be honest.

i remember the 1st time i was there - i had fajiatas and they were so bad they were funny.. it was as if the chef was off and one of the regular staff made it.. i could have done better myself with an ole de paso pack..

• Advertisement

Just in case anyone is into japanese... new place on Evergreen street. Seems to be a take-away mainly, with a small space for eat-in. Have only passed it so far, but will try to get in and give it a go in a few weeks

https://www.facebook.com/miyazakicork/timeline

pwurple wrote: »
    Just in case anyone is into japanese... new place on Evergreen street. Seems to be a take-away mainly, with a small space for eat-in. Have only passed it so far, but will try to get in and give it a go in a few weeks

https://www.facebook.com/miyazakicork/timeline

Post about it on the previous page! ;) Wouldn't be into Japanese food but seems to be a hit.

Post about it on the previous page! ;) Wouldn't be into Japanese food but seems to be a hit.

Couldn't find it.... realised we sort our pages differently, and it was the one with no name!

The name is Miyazaki.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I tried El Mercado a few weeks ago and thought it was awful. Steak in the quesadilla was so tough that it was impossible to eat, and the 'pulled pork' was a lukewarm, wet mess.

I really enjoyed Wild West Wings, great flavours and the price is good too. Wish they would have mentioned on their FB page that it's BYOB with corkage charge as we had to run back out to an off-licence to stock up before eating. So heads up for anyone else planning to go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tried another of the Asian street food joints last night. Chilli Padi, Fr. Mathew Street . Similar price to Ramen or Pho but (Asian) streets ahead of either. Very generous portions but most importantly the food is proper, authentic Asian food - not dumbed down for Irish tastes and not destroyed by meanness of ingredients.

When ordering my wife's laksa, I was warned that it was very strong tasting and fishy. It was. My wife loved it. I hated it! But it was the real deal.

My beef Rendang was fantastic. Again, how it should be.

It's far too bright in there and the loud pop music is off putting (it felt like it should be full of drunk kids) but the staff are lovely and the food fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I really enjoyed Wild West Wings, great flavours and the price is good too. Wish they would have mentioned on their FB page that it's BYOB with corkage charge as we had to run back out to an off-licence to stock up before eating. So heads up for anyone else planning to go there.

They posted on their Facebook when they just opened that they couldn't serve alcohol yet, so it was BYO for the first month with no corkage?!
    Do they have any alcohol in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Had Eggs Benedict in Liberty Grill today, possibly the best breakfast I've ever had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Not a restaurant but anyone know when Starbucks is opening on Princes Street? It must be almost ready - it looks very well from outside, they've done a fine job on the frontage, nice and subtle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Want to go there too - it's pricy though is it? Market Lane own it which explains the no reservations

4 of us went, bill was 200 euro. Not bad as we each had 2-3 drinks and starters, desserts.

Waited 3 hours for the table so I'd advise putting your name down at 7 and going to the cinema :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

4 of us went, bill was 200 euro. Not bad as we each had 2-3 drinks and starters, desserts.

Waited 3 hours for the table so I'd advise putting your name down at 7 and going to the cinema :D

Three hours! I'd be raging. I have a voucher for there but there's no way I'll be waiting 3 hours for a table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Bacchus wrote: »
    Went to CoqBull recently. They do the same thing as Market Lane with no bookings for small groups. Worse, the only way to stay in a queue is to go for a drink in their bar upstairs. We weren't able to arrange a phone call for when the table was ready so that we could have a drink elsewhere. At least the bar is decent and there's a good atmosphere upstairs too.

The food was very good. Great starter platter with wings and ribs to share between the 4 of us. Seriously good ribs. The burgers were tasty and substantial in size. Chips were nice too. Staff were friendly and helpful and the whole place has a nice vibe to it. Certainly something different for a meal out in Cork. I will be back... just a pity about the booking situation.

Was in CoqBull for lunch today, very tasty and a nice spot; I'd happily go back again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

bladebrew wrote: »
    They posted on their Facebook when they just opened that they couldn't serve alcohol yet, so it was BYO for the first month with no corkage?!
    Do they have any alcohol in there?

They didn't have any last weekend anyway.

so what did ye do for 3 hours?

Even with 2-3 drinks each, I just think 50 quid a head for a burger joint is too much! People seem to be happy to pay it though, and continuing to amaze me, people just seem to be happy with that kind of middle of the road food.

Cornstone (Coqbull) have made a killing out of copping onto people's general disinterest in flavoursome quality food!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement