Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

kcb wrote: »
    Even with 2-3 drinks each, I just think 50 quid a head for a burger joint is too much! People seem to be happy to pay it though, and continuing to amaze me, people just seem to be happy with that kind of middle of the road food.
    !

Elbow Lane is a hell of a long way from a burger joint! It may be on the pricey side but a burger joint it isn't.
    You either haven't been there or you have a very strange perception of food!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Even with 2-3 drinks each, I just think 50 quid a head for a burger joint is too much! People seem to be happy to pay it though, and continuing to amaze me, people just seem to be happy with that kind of middle of the road food.

Cornstone (Coqbull) have made a killing out of copping onto people's general disinterest in flavoursome quality food!

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Cornstone (Coqbull) have made a killing out of copping onto people's general disinterest in flavoursome quality food!

10 drinks is at least 50 quid. Four 3 course meals for €150 isn't the cheapest but it's not bad either. Also, Elbow Lane is not a burger joint and hardly "middle of the road" food.

Also, with regards to your CoqBull comment. Meal for 4 with starters & bottle of wine came to €99.50. Great value, great food, great atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Went to the Cornstore a couple of weeks ago for first time in a long time. I must say I enjoyed it. Full sea bream was very tasty indeed. Well presented and cooked. Very flavoursome also by the way.
    I enjoyed it a lot more than Market Lane. Been there a few times recently and I am not impressed by their menu but that is personal preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

The missus and myself escaped over the weekend to Blairs Inn

Food was good, (we had a slight hiccup in service (they forgot about giving the kitchen our starters) but they saved the day with a bottle of wine and an apology from the manager)

Bill was around 70 euro (2 starters, 2 mains, 2 deserts and baileys coffee each) so reasonable enough in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Elbow lane doesn't do burgers... are you thinking of somewhere else maybe?

I agree, it's way to high for burgers, and wouldn't darken coqbull's door again for exactly that reason. But for a massive well cooked steak like they do in Elbow lane? I'd be back there in a shot for it. I think they are reasonably priced for what they provide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Had an awful meal in Wild West Wings this week. Gutted as I had heard good reports!

We were seated upstairs, where there wasn't a waiter to be seen and no background music playing, making the atmosphere very empty. The tables were very close together and for the price of the food I wouldn't expect to be sitting on a bench.

The service was slow and seemed very inexperienced. Having waitressed myself I picked up on several major no no's, from clearing one plate before the rest of the table had finished to proceeding to wipe in front of my friend whose plate she had just taken, even though the rest of us were still eating! Our starters took 35mins to arrive even though it was a Tuesday lunchtime and not overly busy. We asked for water 3 times before giving up because the waiter kept forgetting.

Food was mediocre and over priced for what its was. My biggest gripe is the service, however that just may be a teething issue that may improve over time.

I'll give it another go in a few weeks to see if theres any improvement but was thoroughly unimpressed with my first visit. According to Trip Advisor they are deleting negative reviews from their FB page too, which I don't like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Had an awful meal in Wild West Wings this week. Gutted as I had heard good reports!

We were seated upstairs, where there wasn't a waiter to be seen and no background music playing, making the atmosphere very empty. The tables were very close together and for the price of the food I wouldn't expect to be sitting on a bench.

The service was slow and seemed very inexperienced. Having waitressed myself I picked up on several major no no's, from clearing one plate before the rest of the table had finished to proceeding to wipe in front of my friend whose plate she had just taken, even though the rest of us were still eating! Our starters took 35mins to arrive even though it was a Tuesday lunchtime and not overly busy. We asked for water 3 times before giving up because the waiter kept forgetting

Food was mediocre and over priced for what its was. My biggest gripe is the service, however that just may be a teething issue that may improve over time.

I'll give it another go in a few weeks to see if theres any improvement but was thoroughly unimpressed with my first visit. According to Trip Advisor they are deleting negative reviews from their FB page too, which I don't like.

lack of service/bad service seems to be common nowadays in shame

WhiteRoses wrote: »

At least you got in the door. :)

We tried to go in for lunch there on Monday, sign on the open door said Open at 12. It was 1pm, walked through open door and was roared at that they were not open.

ok lads, jeez... might want to shut the damn door and change your opening hours signage then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

pwurple wrote: »
    At least you got in the door. :)

We tried to go in for lunch there on Monday, sign on the open door said Open at 12. It was 1pm, walked through open door and was roared at that they were not open.

ok lads, jeez... might want to shut the damn door and change your opening hours signage then!

:eek: They won't be getting a lot of customers if they treat them like that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

leahyl wrote: »
    :eek: They won't be getting a lot of customers if they treat them like that!

The reviews on trip advisor are frightening! I was looking forward to trying it but dont think ill bother!

Went to Oscars on Cook Street on Saturday with my friend for lunch. It was nice, sandwiches were tasty - we both had grilled sandwiches, mine had turkey and swiss cheese and my friend had toonsbridge mozzarella with lettuce, tomato and pesto.

The only thing I'd say is that there a bit pricy for what you got - 7e just for the sandwich and a tiny portion of coleslaw (if you could call it that because there wasn't any sauce on it) and a bit of chutney.

Also, my sandwich didn't have anything else in it, just the cheese and turkey, would have been nice to have a bit of lettuce and tomato too.

It did also take a particularly long time to get the sandwiches - about 15-20 minutes waiting - which was a bit much!

But they were tasty sandwiches don't get me wrong! I would go back again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

There's some Chilli place opened where Uncle Pete's was on Pope's Quay, anyone been? I wonder is it the same owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Question. Given that there's a few Japanese places in town now, does anyone know if any of them deliver? I can't find anything online. Seems like a gap in the market :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Went to Oscars on Cook Street on Saturday with my friend for lunch.....

Was actually in there myself on Saturday, for breakfast. Never heard of the place, just stumbled across it.

Nice place. Had waffles, with strawberries, cream & maple syrup. Very tasty.
    My brother had a full irish. Looked good, he said he was nice as well.

• Advertisement

evilivor wrote: »
    There's some Chilli place opened where Uncle Pete's was on Pope's Quay, anyone been? I wonder is it the same owners.

i was that alright - "chilli something? can't think of the word - implied chinese and a chipper - id say its a chipper/chinese.. i stand to be corrected though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sporina wrote: »
    i was that alright - "chilli something? can't think of the word - implied chinese and a chipper - id say its a chipper/chinese.. i stand to be corrected though
    Golden Chilli
    It does pizza and kebabs.
    Claim to make their own bread for kebabs.
    Said they'd be doing some Indian dishes from next week. New owners. Not tried it yet.

Golden Chilli
    It does pizza and kebabs.
    Claim to make their own bread for kebabs.
    Said they'd be doing some Indian dishes from next week. New owners. Not tried it yet.

oh i knew it was something along those lines..

huh - i am dubious - don't know why.. maybe i am totally wrong..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

so what did ye do for 3 hours?

Went to El Fenix for a quiet drink :)

No idea what kcb is on about, they don't serve burgers, we had T bone steaks! I'd be wary of getting value and was well pleased with the price.

In comparison 2 of us were in Les Gourmadies recently and the bill was €150.

sozbox wrote: »

No idea what kcb is on about, they don't serve burgers, we had T bone steaks! I'd be wary of getting value and was well pleased with the price.

em, think you mean Elbow Lane???? El Fenix is a bar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

em, think you mean Elbow Lane???? El Fenix is a bar

You asked what we did for 3 hours while waiting for our table at Elbow Lane.
    I'm telling you we went to El Fenix for a quiet drink.

You asked what we did for 3 hours while waiting for our table at Elbow Lane.
    I'm telling you we went to El Fenix for a quiet drink.

sincerest apologies - half blinded by the eclipse - joking - i didn't read the quote = mutli page reading = badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I went to the St. Lukes' Wine Tavern last night. It was a good night all in all. Myself and a friend wandered up, took a seat at a big table at the back and browsed photography books. The wine was good, we had a Spanish white to start with, the €7.50 one. It was lovely, really nice a good mix of sweet, fruity but still crisp. I went on to have the Rioja. It was definitely strange for a Rioja, quite a ripe flavour to it which I wouldn't be used to. Not as nice as the Rioja I had in Fionn Barra's which was a full on dark red fruit assault. The smoothness of it the St Lukes one was interesting though, quite a buttery finish to it with made for an interesting mix with the typical Rioja full-on heavy bite.

We asked for food too late, but what we saw of other people eating it looked good. It was a mix of cheese and meat boards, and the option for a daily stew. The olives we got were delicious. Not that many of them for €2.50 but they were absolutely lovely. I'm not usually a fan of the darker olives but these were great, and in a lovely marinade.

We had no bother taking it slowly up there. We arrived around 8.30 and drank two glasses (of a generous enough measure) over two and a half hours. We'll definitely be back. It was a complete contrast to the city centre wine bars, no hyped up hipness to the place but a relaxed rustic feel. Definitely somewhere I would recommend.

http://www.stlukeswinetavern.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I know its not the city but I stopped into The Mills in Ballyvourney yesterday for dinner, it was outstanding. I hadn't been in years and it is still excellent. Definitely the king of pub grub.

I had the Lamb Shank and herself had the Lasagne, delicious.

Had the sextant brunch yesterday. Eggs benny was tasty, but it was mobbed and they were out of pancakes by 1. Still wondering how you run out of pancakes if you are still serving eggs and have milk in tea. No flour maybe? Odd one.

Service was slow. 30 minutes before order was taken. another 40 minutes after that by the time food or tea came. Would have eaten shoe leather at that stage. Wasn't in a mad hurry on a sunday morning, but was fairly hungry and thirsty. Loads of staff, but seemed to be falling over each other as we had three of them ask us the same question very quickly in succession (was food ok), but couldn't find anyone to get a missing fork.

rob316 wrote: »
    I know its not the city but I stopped into The Mills in Ballyvourney yesterday for dinner, it was outstanding. I hadn't been in years and it is still excellent. Definitely the king of pub grub.

I had the Lamb Shank and herself had the Lasagne, delicious.

My mum was only there recently also on her way back from a few days in Kerry with her friends and she said it was absolutely beautiful also :)

Had the sextant brunch yesterday. Eggs benny was tasty, but it was mobbed and they were out of pancakes by 1. Still wondering how you run out of pancakes if you are still serving eggs and have milk in tea. No flour maybe? Odd one.

Service was slow. 30 minutes before order was taken. another 40 minutes after that by the time food or tea came. Would have eaten shoe leather at that stage. Wasn't in a mad hurry on a sunday morning, but was fairly hungry and thirsty. Loads of staff, but seemed to be falling over each other as we had three of them ask us the same question very quickly in succession (was food ok), but couldn't find anyone to get a missing fork.

That's a very long time to be waiting for some poached eggs! I hope to try there soon but to be honest after hearing how long it might take to get the food, it's kind of putting me off! I'm definitely going to try Goldbergs - meant to be lovely Sunday brunch. Trying to do as many reviews for my blog as possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Another +1 for The Mills from myself - haven't been there in a long while but their lasagne is unreal!

Ate in Coqbull this weekend for the first time, had a large Ceasar salad - nothing really to write home about, nicely presented and did the job for me, very much liked the vibe in there though and my friends really enjoyed their food - the wings are a favourite of one of my mates - not the butter ones - apparently they're shít. It's nice having Cork coffee roasters next door too, popped in for a quick cuppa after, very much liked the layout of the place, loads more seating which is nice to see.

That's a very long time to be waiting for some poached eggs! I hope to try there soon but to be honest after hearing how long it might take to get the food, it's kind of putting me off! I'm definitely going to try Goldbergs - meant to be lovely Sunday brunch. Trying to do as many reviews for my blog as possible!

Ah don't let it put you off, maybe they were just very busy at 12-1. Try earlier, or later? I think they open at 11. We probably just hit there at a bad time.

We walked past goldbergs on the way there, looked empty around the same time... so not as popular. But I think they've only just started doing it.

Ah don't let it put you off, maybe they were just very busy at 12-1. Try earlier, or later? I think they open at 11. We probably just hit there at a bad time.

We walked past goldbergs on the way there, looked empty around the same time... so not as popular. But I think they've only just started doing it.

Not as popular....yet! I'm surprised it wasn't busy to be honest. Granted, I've only been there once for drinks on a Saturday night but I loved the place, great mix of people there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Les Gourmadies is a total rip off IMO. Went there once and was very dissapointed. €125 and was still hungry when I left.

roundymac wrote: »
    Les Gourmadies is a total rip off IMO. Went there once and was very dissapointed. €125 and was still hungry when I left.

Tell me about it, I was there a couple of years ago. My mate actually said to the waiter "where is the rest of the food" :D

roundymac wrote: »

Well in fairness, it clearly advertises as Fine Dining, which means much more effort is put into the presentation etc, rather than huge quantities. As much as I like a pile of melted-cheesy spuds, sometimes I'd be in the mood for something tasty, delicate and beautiful. I don't think it's a rip-off for the time and effort that goes into it, and it's not like it should be a surprise. How much is a meal in Noma going to cost you, and it's won't be big portions there either.

There are places for stuffing your face around as well if "a good feed" is what you fancy, and loads of others in between.

Room for them all.

Well in fairness, it clearly advertises as Fine Dining, which means much more effort is put into the presentation etc, rather than huge quantities. As much as I like a pile of melted-cheesy spuds, sometimes I'd be in the mood for something tasty, delicate and beautiful. I don't think it's a rip-off for the time and effort that goes into it, and it's not like it should be a surprise. How much is a meal in Noma going to cost you, and it's won't be big portions there either.

There are places for stuffing your face around as well if "a good feed" is what you fancy, and loads of others in between.

Room for them all.

Agree but my experience of Les Gourmadies swings a bit too much towards the presentation side. There is a happy medium and the best restaurants hit that generally.

rob316 wrote: »
    There is a happy medium and the best restaurants hit that generally.

.. and if all restaurants were the same, we'd be bored and looking for something different. No harm in a bit of variety. Upmarket, downmarket, something in the middle. All grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Yeeeeeeees. So, Sammy's takeaway has been, i guess, taken over and renamed China City. I got the chicken satay skewers, they had good sauce, very good sauce:D Best ones i've had since i moved to Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

dibkins wrote: »
    Yeeeeeeees. So, Sammy's takeaway has been, i guess, taken over and renamed China City. I got the chicken satay skewers, they had good sauce, very good sauce:D Best ones i've had since i moved to Cork.

Where's that? Never heard of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Thomas Davis Street, up from the Centra/Subway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

dibkins wrote: »
    Thomas Davis Street, up from the Centra/Subway.

Had to look at a map! :pac: I've never been in Blackpool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Had lunch in The Workshop in Ballygarvan recently and it's very nice. Proper homemade food at a reasonable price. No rush in there either and the staff are very nice. 10/10 for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Loire wrote: »
    Had lunch in The Workshop in Ballygarvan recently and it's very nice. Proper homemade food at a reasonable price. No rush in there either and the staff are very nice. 10/10 for me.

Assume it's easy to find , Ballygarvan ain't huge -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Loire wrote: »

yeah i was there too recently - its cool - love the theme - so eclectic - and the food is thee best - local and fresh - good produce,.. and the service is great…

the only quibble i have is that the atmosphere felt a bit stiff? I don't know why - felt more like a restaurant than a cafe - maybe its cos i was expecting something more laid back..
    know what i mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Markcheese wrote: »
    Assume it's easy to find , Ballygarvan ain't huge -

It's not in the village. It's up the hill from Five mile on the way to lehanaghmore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'm aware this isn't restaurant related but if anybody can tell me the best place to get a breakfast roll or some sort of savoury mid-morning snack in Ballincollig I'd appreciate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

D'Agger wrote: »
    I'm aware this isn't restaurant related but if anybody can tell me the best place to get a breakfast roll or some sort of savoury mid-morning snack in Ballincollig I'd appreciate it

I only had a breakfast roll this morning for the first time in a looooong time. It was savage!

The Gala shop up past Applegreen used to do a mighty breakfast roll. Havent been in there for a few years tho but worth a try anyway. I know they still have a decent hot counter.

Theres a shop next to SuperNova that does a very good lunch, im pretty sure they do a hot breakfast too so thats probably worth checking out too. Coming from ballincollig, its just past super nova on the left. Id probably go here before Gala!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Heading to Cork this weekend, looking for a nice restaurant, been reading this thread and the type of menu I like is something along the lines of 'The Mills', straightforward food.
    Cafe Paradiso comes highly recommended on trip advisor but I dont like the menu,or rather, the way it's worded, too fancy.
    Staying in Fota so maybe somewhere out of city centre would suit either. Would like to keep bill under €100 including a glass of wine each. Thanks.

Heading to Cork this weekend, looking for a nice restaurant, been reading this thread and the type of menu I like is something along the lines of 'The Mills', straightforward food.
    Cafe Paradiso comes highly recommended on trip advisor but I dont like the menu,or rather, the way it's worded, too fancy.
    Staying in Fota so maybe somewhere out of city centre would suit either. Would like to keep bill under €100 including a glass of wine each. Thanks.

Market Lane would be my recommendation, it would be a little more adventurous than The Mills but have a sort of meat and 2 veg core to it IMO.

What about Sage in Midleton?
    http://www.sagerestaurant.ie/

-Toppy- wrote: »
    What about Sage in Midleton?
    http://www.sagerestaurant.ie/

Sage might be a bit fancypants as well.

I'd recommend the Elm Tree in Glountaune near Fota for you. http://www.elmtree.ie/

Best carvery in Ireland award.

Market lane group would suit as well I'd say, so Market Lane in the city center, or Blackrock Castle slightly outside the city center if you want someplace you can park.

I had dinner last Christmas at the Bramley Lodge just outside fota

Wasnt bad, definately worth a pop in, I remember the desert was divine (Was some form of chocolate cake thing)

Blackrock Castle gets a thumbs up from me too!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement