Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Bit of a specific query here. Looking for a place for a large group - 20-ish people - to gather informally on a Friday evening and have some reasonably priced food and a couple of drinks, but not an all-night affair. We'd love tapas, or we'd go for something like a pig on a spit if we could find somewhere to host it. Failing the above, somewhere that would seat a group that big but doesn't cost that much per person. Any ideas?

Electric would have been perfect, but they seem to have changed their bar menu since last summer and don't have the tapas-style dishes they used to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

La Dolce Vita has a private function room upstairs with a full bar. It has changed hands several times and I haven't eaten there in ages but it is geared towards parties and large groups. It used to be Proby's before. It's an Italian/Pizza place now but upper class style of this. ladolcevitacork.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Rendang is a dry curry. That's how it's supposed to be.

Not this dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dried rendangEdit

According to Minangkabau tradition, their true rendang is the dry one. Rendang is diligently stirred, attended and cooked for hours until the coconut milk evaporated and the meat absorbed the spices. It is still served for special ceremonial occasions or to honour guests. If cooked properly, dried rendang can last for three to four weeks stored in room temperature and still good to consume.[4] It can even last months stored in a refrigerator, and up to six months if frozen.[17]

quote="Nonoperational;95442255"]Not this dry.[/quote]

Rendang can be served with different degrees of wetness. People in this part of the world tend to like it wetter rather than drier but the traditional Beef Rendang is a dry curry - very dry. I've had beef rendang in Indonesia and I've had it in Chilli Padi. They serve an authentic, traditional Rendang. It might not be to your taste but it is the real deal.
    Maybe they should offer a wetter version to cater for different tastes.
    Personally, I love the dry one but it wouldn't be a big deal to do a wetter version (as long as I can still have my dry one!)

Hungry now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

rob316 wrote: »
    Tried Chilli Padi last night on the recommendations here. Streets ahead of Ramen, if there free ice cream was nice, Ramen's is disgusting.

Had the Beef Rendang, lovely tender massive chunks of beef and there was serious heat in the dish unlike Ramen.

Very pleased up there with Aroi.

Agree on the Rendang - its the best i've had.
    Their Korean chicken wings are good too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Tried Chilli Padi last night on the recommendations here. Streets ahead of Ramen, if there free ice cream was nice, Ramen's is disgusting.

Had the Beef Rendang, lovely tender massive chunks of beef and there was serious heat in the dish unlike Ramen.

Very pleased up there with Aroi

Must avoid so :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Agree on the Rendang - its the best i've had.
    Their Korean chicken wings are good too!

Agreed the Rendang is also the best I've ever had.
    I don't often say to die for but when I do, it's about chili pad's duck rolls! nyam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Was in the Workshop tea room by the Airport yesterday, limited enough menu just sandwich's and a "tapas" plate which consisted of a teaspoon of each, goats cheese, onion relish, sundried tomato's with a choice of meats, ham chicken or spiced beef. Some salad leaves an a couple of slice's of bread rounded it off, €8, not bad but not filling if you were hungry. There was a selection of cakes there as well but I did not try them. Nice atmosphere, being served with china ware was nice, but in this day and age I think I'm gone past little things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭snoopy12

For something tasty near the airport dwyers garden cafe in dwyers electrical is super. Fab decor and food (sandwiches, soup, cakes,hot lunch specials). I think it's one of the more decent places for lunch on the south side with parking.

Jam down by Hanleys garden centre at the Kinsale Rd roundabout, or the Pavillion garden centre up by the back of Ballygarvan, all excellent places to try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

roundymac wrote: »
    Jam down by Hanleys garden centre at the Kinsale Rd roundabout, or the Pavillion garden centre up by the back of Ballygarvan, all excellent places to try.

wow is that the same jam as in kenmare? if so, i never knew it was there

sporina wrote: »

It's a chain. There was very short lived one Cork too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Faith wrote: »
    Bit of a specific query here. Looking for a place for a large group - 20-ish people - to gather informally on a Friday evening and have some reasonably priced food and a couple of drinks, but not an all-night affair. We'd love tapas, or we'd go for something like a pig on a spit if we could find somewhere to host it. Failing the above, somewhere that would seat a group that big but doesn't cost that much per person. Any ideas?

Electric would have been perfect, but they seem to have changed their bar menu since last summer and don't have the tapas-style dishes they used to.

Bar that does food so?

Tom Barry's. Sextant. Sober lane. What's that one on grand parade next to the library... Used to be goat broke loose? They have a very large booth you can book. Rising son is a place I've heard booked at work a few times but never tried the food there myself.

Faith wrote: »

maybe you should consider a BBQ type of affair.. there are lots of options around town = Bodega, The Clarion, Soho, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

We went for dinner last year and popped into the sextant for a pint afterwards. They were doing a pig on a spit out the back and it looked and smelled savage. When they finished up the beer garden started to clear and we got seats under a heater. Next thing i knew my sis in law left out a scream. There was 6/7 a few rats a few feet away from us running round eating the scraps on the floor. In their defence its next to a river and theres probably not enough poison in all of cork to stop them but i still wouldnt eat in there after seeing it.

.red. wrote: »
    We went for dinner last year and popped into the sextant for a pint afterwards. They were doing a pig on a spit out the back and it looked and smelled savage. When they finished up the beer garden started to clear and we got seats under a heater. Next thing i knew my sis in law left out a scream. There was 6/7 a few rats a few feet away from us running round eating the scraps on the floor. In their defence its next to a river and theres probably not enough poison in all of cork to stop them but i still wouldnt eat in there after seeing it.

Oh sweet jesus. That's put me off alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Went to Greenes for dinner last night and it was delicious as usual. I'm a bit obsessed with their pork belly and black pudding starter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

.red. wrote: »

I completely understand where your sis in law is coming from-I actually would be unable to stay for a drink! That is disgusting- maybe the owners aren't aware? I really hope they can sort this out - employ a few cats?

I completely understand where your sis in law is coming from-I actually would be unable to stay for a drink! That is disgusting- maybe the owners aren't aware? I really hope they can sort this out - employ a few cats?

Most cats won't go near a rat. They need to clean up scraps faster so there is no attraction.

• Advertisement

The rats didnt appear till they stopped serving the food and the beer garden started to clear. No sign of them when the lads were cooking and the beer garden was full. Where the pub is located makes it difficult to keep them out. My concern would he them climbing up on the seats and tables and pi$$ing on them where it will come in contact with hands.
    Its a lovely pub tho, one of the best in town. I just dont go out to the beer garden any more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

pwurple wrote: »
    Most cats won't go near a rat. They need to clean up scraps faster so there is no attraction.

you should tell that to my cats - regularly find a rat on the doorstep when I get home, big feckers too!

sporina wrote: »
    Yes it is, but I think the one in Kenmare is better.

okedoke wrote: »
    you should tell that to my cats - regularly find a rat on the doorstep when I get home, big feckers too!

:rolleyes: yup, That's why I said most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Tried coqbull last night it was only average I thought. Not bad but I wouldn't be rushing back.
    First off its all ready a packed restraunt why the need for the blaring pop music?

I had the bacon bull. Patty was done medium and was very nice. At €15 I expected more than a morsel of cheese and a slither of bacon. Bun was nice too but overall it was a boring enough burger. Chips were good.

Dessert I had the donuts that was easily the best part of the meal. Custard dip was very tasty.

All in all if you want a buger restraunt in town liberty grill would be a much better choice.

went to huguenot last night..

we had a lovely eve

the decor is fab - and manager was great.. love down stairs..

good wine list

on the food, my fish was a bit over cooked and a bit small..

the roast spuds were v sad..
    but the desert was unreal - tart tatin,, hmm.. now this was massive - more than enough for two…

food v oily but i guess thats v french

i am not a desert person but needed half of this to be full…

thought staff were a bit all over the place - but the waiter we had was new so maybe he is still finding his feet.. they are v attentative though

But i have to say, i think its the same offering as Jaques and if i were to compare the two, Jaques wins hands down…

Ok Jaques is a bit more expensive but the difference in quality of main dishes is way superior in jacques.. ie the difference in price is not relative to the difference in quality

But i like the place - their mains could be better though..

• Advertisement

I'd agree with all the positive reviews The White Rabbit is getting.
    Shared a BBQ plate just there.
    Great flavours, good simple food. Good value.
    Definitely going back to try other meats and sides. I like their style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Tried coqbull last night it was only average I thought. Not bad but I wouldn't be rushing back.
    First off its all ready a packed restraunt why the need for the blaring pop music?

I had the bacon bull. Patty was done medium and was very nice. At €15 I expected more than a morsel of cheese and a slither of bacon. Bun was nice too but overall it was a boring enough burger. Chips were good.

Dessert I had the donuts that was easily the best part of the meal. Custard dip was very tasty.

All in all if you want a buger restraunt in town liberty grill would be a much better choice.

Roughly my feelings on the place too. On the whole "how would you like your burger cooked thing". Isnt this a big no no from Irish food safety. Thought they weren't allowed offer it in this country. If they did, it'd be well done for me in like of coqbull, wouldn't trust them to make the pattys just beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Roughly my feelings on the place too. On the whole "how would you like your burger cooked thing". Isnt this a big no no from Irish food safety. Thought they weren't allowed offer it in this country. If they did, it'd be well done for me in like of coqbull, wouldn't trust them to make the pattys just beforehand.

As you have alluded to, you can offer this service, but generally the risk it entails means that many places wont offer the service.

I think its all about risk really, if the meat is minced within a few hours of when the burger is to be cooked, then the risk is relatively low, also the temperature at which the meat reached internally is a factor.

You can have burger meat that is still a bit pink, but has reached the necessary temperature to be considered safe. Again there is a risk on the chef really needing to be on his game.

Like most people i would prefer a burger on the well done side anyway.

As for the restataurant - to me it is too limited in what it is.
    Its ok, but nothing that will be dragging me back regularily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I have to say, I have been 3 times now to Coqbull and each time the burger has been absolutely gorgeous - I think the meat is so tasty. It's amazing how people have different experiences. I passed it yesterday when I was in town and the smell wafting from the place was nearly enough to drag me in there on my own for a bite to eat!

leahyl wrote: »
    I have to say, I have been 3 times now to Coqbull and each time the burger has been absolutely gorgeous - I think the meat is so tasty. It's amazing how people have different experiences. I passed it yesterday when I was in town and the smell wafting from the place was nearly enough to drag me in there on my own for a bite to eat!

Different levels of expectations.
    Different chefs
    Different staff in different moods

Not that amazing, most restraunts I've frequented in Ireland are horrifically inconsistent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

limnam wrote: »
    Different levels of expectations.
    Different chefs
    Different staff in different moods

Not that amazing, most restraunts in Ireland are horrifically inconsistent.

Wow that's some generalisation, and really unfair/wrong

farmerjj wrote: »
    Wow that's some generalisation, and really unfair/wrong

I've un-generalised it for you. Also you can't tell me what *I* experience is wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Enough please. Let's move on

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Could anyone recommend a nice authentic pizzeria / Italian restaurant for a sit down meal (not a take away - all credit too Dominos! ;0) in the city centre? Read online about a place in Franciscan well but it doesn't seem to be there on Saturday night... Any suggestions? Preferably not too pricey, for a group of 8 to 10.

Could anyone recommend a nice authentic pizzeria / Italian restaurant for a sit down meal (not a take away - all credit too Dominos! ;0) in the city centre? Read online about a place in Franciscan well but it doesn't seem to be there on Saturday night... Any suggestions? Preferably not too pricey, for a group of 8 to 10.

http://ladolcevitacork.ie/ should suit

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Menu looks decent, have you eaten there?

Menu looks decent, have you eaten there?

Yes many times and with a fussy Italian and they were very happy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Hoping to make La Dolce Vita my next excursion, menu looks great

I went to the White Rabbit last week and this week. Last week I had the Brisket Sandwich and this week the Pork Shoulder with Red Slaw and Potato Salad. Bit underwhelmed the first time and fairly disappointed this week.

I like the idea of what they're doing, and its a cool pub, but it doesn't really deliver tbh

Went to El Mercado for the voucher deal last night. While it was a good value feed for 2 for €16, I tasted nothing that would make me return. There was nothing really wrong with most of the food - it just wasn't really tasty and had no spice at all to my palate. I wanted zesty, spicy tasty food. What we got was really pretty bland and one pork taco type thing was just really, really sweet - sweet pork, sweet onions, sweet cabbage.

Their guacamole was pretty good and their tortillas chips were nice and unseasoned proper chops.

• Advertisement

Went to El Mercado for the voucher deal last night. While it was a good value feed for 2 for €16, I tasted nothing that would make me return. There was nothing really wrong with most of the food - it just wasn't really tasty and had no spice at all to my palate. I wanted zesty, spicy tasty food. What we got was really pretty bland and one pork taco type thing was just really, really sweet - sweet pork, sweet onions, sweet cabbage.

Their guacamole was pretty good and their tortillas chips were nice and unseasoned proper chops.

+1. Way too tame. I asked for the hottest thing on the menu when I was in. They gave me the battered chili's. They were the mildest chillies I've ever eaten. More like eating a red/green bell pepper.

Also, was all your food served on timber? Drives me nuts.

How does that work? The upstairs of the burrito place becomes a 'restaurant' at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Brandon F

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I went to the White Rabbit last week and this week. Last week I had the Brisket Sandwich and this week the Pork Shoulder with Red Slaw and Potato Salad. Bit underwhelmed the first time and fairly disappointed this week.

I like the idea of what they're doing, and its a cool pub, but it doesn't really deliver tbh

Have to agree with this. The side options are quite limited. I had the potato salad and beans, both were bland and didn't hit the spot. The idea is great and definitely needed in Cork but it just doesn't execute as well as it should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Brandon F wrote: »
    Have to agree with this. The side options are quite limited. I had the potato salad and beans, both were bland and didn't hit the spot. The idea is great and definitely needed in Cork but it just doesn't execute as well as it should.
    I know I've already given my thoughts on White Rabbit but I have to disagree on the sides - I really thought the potato salad was lovely on the two occasions I had it. The beans were okay, I get what you mean about them.

I think for anybody going there - it may have been blown out of proportion or caused increased expectations for people reading here before heading in for themselves, but essentially you get a nice place, with good music & vibe, cheap and cheerful food - I think what you get for €10 is quite good all things considered.

Could it be done better? - yes, but like Ramen, Chilli Padi and other restaurants opening up - I think they're geared towards, quick, cheap food & I'd imagine they're already doing good business. As you've said - this was something Cork needed so I'll take a rough around the edges version over nothing.

Chili Padi is feckin amazing, there's no comparison.

I think I get what you're saying though - its a great place to have a pint with someone and also get some pretty decent grub, informally.

Still though, it could be really great...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Went to Goldbergs for lunch yesterday after seeing the recommendation here and while I was disappointed they didn't have the promised pulled lamb from the website menu they did have a lamb roll to take it's place and I gotta say it was really nice. I don't think my 2 friends were as enamored with their meals (cajun chicken baguette and chicken and chorizo wrap) as I was with mine, but they liked them well enough.

But mine was awesome (slices of lamb roast with gravy on a nice, crusty roll and a side salad) and the place is really charming. :)

D'Agger wrote: »
    Could it be done better? - yes, but like Ramen, Chilli Padi and other restaurants opening up - I think they're geared towards, quick, cheap food & I'd imagine they're already doing good business. As you've said - this was something Cork needed so I'll take a rough around the edges version over nothing.

Can't really compare chilli pad to Ramen, Chilli Pad is a million miles ahead on all fronts. Flavor quality of the ingridients, portions. I sent out a search party for the chicken in my tikka in Ramen and the chicken that was in it was that awful fake plastic chicken. even the free ice cream tastes nicer in chilli pad ;)

(waits for someone to say it's the same ice-cream)

Can't really compare chilli pad to Ramen, Chilli Pad is a million miles ahead on all fronts. Flavor quality of the ingridients, portions. I sent out a search party for the chicken in my tikka in Ramen and the chicken that was in it was that awful fake plastic chicken. even the free ice cream tastes nicer in chilli pad ;)

(waits for someone to say it's the same ice-cream)
    Did the chicken ever turn up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Does anyone know whether Palmentos in Douglas do takeaway/collection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

They do. Unfortunately the last pizza I had there had a very wet base, not as all crisp. Nice flavour but way over topped and soggy as a result.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement