Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Chili Padi is feckin amazing, there's no comparison.

I think I get what you're saying though - its a great place to have a pint with someone and also get some pretty decent grub, informally.

Still though, it could be really great...

how would you compare banna thai to chilli padi in terms of quality etc?

i really banna

i wonder if their business is suffering due to all these new cheaper asian type places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I havent had Banna Thai yet... To be honest though, i'm so happy with Chili Padi, i'm in no rush! Got Crispy Chili Beef on Friday and thumbs up for that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Banna thai is for me, the best asian place in ballincollig. Really nice food, both starters and mains. The early bird is really good value too.
    their desserts are muck tho.

.red. wrote: »
    Banna thai is for me, the best asian place in ballincollig. Really nice food, both starters and mains. The early bird is really good value too.
    their desserts are muck tho.

when i get a take away which is rare, i always go to banna - but now i am keen to try chilli padi

i was traveling for a while last yr and strangely enough i got such a craving for a banna curry when all i had been eating was eggs, rice and beans..

people were laughing at me saying "but your irish???"

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

They do. Unfortunately the last pizza I had there had a very wet base, not as all crisp. Nice flavour but way over topped and soggy as a result.

+1 for this. Tried it at the weekend, service was very good and pizza was very tasty but abit soggy for my liking. Still nice but would of preferred a more solid base

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I'm heading to Cork for a few days and looking for a cheap and cheerful Boojum/Chipotle style restaurant/takeaway. Is there anywhere like that in the city centre? Basically somewhere you can get burrito and drinks for under a tenner!

Cafe Mexicana or Burritos and Blues I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Cafe Mexicana or Burritos and Blues I suppose.

wooaw he said under a tenner!

You find anything that comes close to Boojum in Cork, Burritos blues is probably the best, but still leaves alot to be desired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

wooaw he said under a tenner!

You find anything that comes close to Boojum in Cork, Burritos blues is probably the best, but still leaves alot to be desired.

You read my mind ;)

You can get lunch in there for under a tenner but that would be with table water. Granted the portions arent massive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

D'Agger wrote: »
    Hoping to make La Dolce Vita my next excursion, menu looks great

Went in this weekend and thought it was lovely

Had the Carbonara & my ladyfriend had the pasta special which was fish based and looked amazing - I don't eat fish barring tuna but I was impressed with how it looked, very well presented with prawns, mussels etc. looked delicious.

My Carbonara was nice, good portion size - looked small but was filling and left room for desert.

Only point I'd knock off is that we'd to ask the staff twice for more time but even then that's very harsh - it was quiet when we went there and the menu is huge, between chatting and glancing through it took a while for us to order. Staff being eager is a good complaint rather than being forgotten about - would recommend and will definitely go back again so thanks to all of you who recommended here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I had a similarly great experience in La Dolce Vita recently. The pasta is all freshly made and tasted amazing. The fish was beautifully woody and smoky-scented from the wood-fired oven, and it was excellent value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

6 of us ate in the Gourmet Burger on Sunday.....there wasn't any complaints! really great food and service- top class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Yep, nice spot for a burger in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Market Lane last night, twas delicious. Monkfish with smoked sausage. Nomnom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

dibkins wrote: »
    Market Lane last night, twas delicious. Monkfish with smoked sausage. Nomnom.

I was there again at the weekend. Right back to the top of my list of places to eat in Cork again (I posted a while back that I thought the standards had slipped a tad). I had the same too, Monkfish with the sausage. Delish. The prawn starter was yum too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Was at Market Lane 2 weeks ago and it was very nice but the only thing was my steak could have been a bit hotter but it was very tasty and tender....mmmm.....

i had eaten in market lane in the past and while i liked the food, I found the restaurant unpleasant - we were always rushed and i found the restaurant noisy - anyone find this and is it still like this?

I've never felt rushed there, even when there's a queue of people. We've always been left time after eating before they take coffee/desert orders, and if we don't want any we are left alone until we call the bill.

I agree it's noisy though. Well, bustling, I suppose you'd call it! Not really ideal for the hard of hearing or if you want a quiet, intimate dinner.

Agree with Malari there. Never ever felt rushed there in the slightest. Really friendly staff. When they call you that your table is ready, they always make a point to say "take your time". As for the noise... it's a busy restaurant with a bar and open kitchen, it's all part of the atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

sporina wrote: »
    i had eaten in market lane in the past and while i liked the food, I found the restaurant unpleasant - we were always rushed and i found the restaurant noisy - anyone find this and is it still like this?

Gosh, one of the things I liked about market lane was that they don't play loud music and I can talk away to my friends. It's bustling alright, but not CoqBull level of deafening racket, where you give up on roaring WHAT? across the table and sit staring at eachother without talking instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

pwurple wrote: »
    Gosh, one of the things I liked about market lane was that they don't play loud music and I can talk away to my friends. It's bustling alright, but not CoqBull level of deafening racket, where you give up on roaring WHAT? across the table and sit staring at eachother without talking instead.

Ya the last and only time I went to Coqbull our table was underneath a speaker, it was awful. The place is already packed, you don't need music.

Had a really excellent tasting menu in Greenes recently. Surprisingly good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

I've been away or eating at festivals. :) The street food stuff run by the Ocean to City Harbour festival was great altogether. Mussels and chips before a free go out on the boats. Gorgeous.

Last place I ate lunch out was Italee in the city center, which was awesome as usual. I don't know what they put in that tiramisu, but I'd eat my own bodyweight in it if it was in front of me. It's the nicest one I've ever eaten.

I'm going with a group to this yoke http://www.corkmidsummer.com/programme/event/our-table in the midsummer festival, which might be a washout... but might be good.

Going to try the new River Lee hotel brunch menu next month as well if I can. Nice view from that restaurant there, but the food in the evenings has been hit and miss for me so far.

Eaten in Sakura a lot, it's very good. They have a Bento Box at lunch for 8.99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Been going to places I already know I like recently, Wabisabi and Chili Padi for lunch most recently. Japanese udon noodles at Chili Padi yesterday seemed to come with a sauce laced with crack or something equally addictive. :o

I had lunch in the Thomond Bar a couple of times recently and must say really enjoyed it. Decent basic pub grub.

Lasagne and Chips - Bit heavy on the cheese but the ragu was great quality, chips were good and bit of Ciabatta garlic bread on the side.

Beef and Guiness Stew - Delicious, just like Mama used to make, there's eating and drinking in it, gorgeous soda bread with it too.

Both dishes were just €8.90 each, really good value I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭onasis

We went to the Steakhouse in Kinsale a few weeks ago and it was delicious. Steaks were cooked perfectly with delicious chips (choice of steakhouse chips, sweet potato chips or roasted baby potatoes). I didn't have a starter but OH had chicken wings and of course i tried one - fab. For desert I had the chocolate pudding and I loved it. Staff were lovely and it's a nice place in general. I'd definitely go back again.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    there's eating and drinking in it

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Possibly not relevant to Irish people but a Japanese colleague of mine (here for 6 months) said she much preferred Miyazaki (sp?), at the bottom of Barrack Street - was not impressed with Sakura at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Opinions on Charcoal Grill anyone?

Techmaster wrote: »
    Opinions on Charcoal Grill anyone?

Used to love it, cheap and tasty for a quick bite.

Last time I went will be the last I'm afraid. Uncle Pete's owned it but sold it an Asian guy and the quality and portion size has plummeted.

Shame.

I got 'Buffalo' chicken wings from them two weeks ago and there was nothing Bufallo about them - literally no sauce? Dip was meh too. Also obviously dry from reheating.

Have got Currywurst there too which, while nice, just isnt Currywurst.

None of those restaurants is in Cork City!?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

Malari wrote: »
    None of those restaurants is in Cork City!?

Jai Ho, Hibernian Way, Mallow, Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

Kalman wrote: »
    Jai Ho, Hibernian Way, Mallow, Cork

Is over 20 miles North of Cork City.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

kub wrote: »
    Is over 20 miles North of Cork City.

Oh, I see, you are referring to the City Centre.

Kalman wrote: »
    Oh, I see, you are referring to the City Centre.

Mallow is definitely County Cork, nowhere near the city... centre or suburbs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

I second this recommendation :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I like Sakura as well. It is right by my house so it is good for a takeaway!

Went to Siesta recently. Atmosphere average, food ok, wouldn't be in any rush to go back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Ate in Nakon Thai in Douglas this weekend. Lovely food and good prices - the decor could do with updating though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Had another delicious meal in Gallo & Galetti tonight. It's great to see a restaurant actually succeed in Wilton. My favourite dish of the moment is the Chicken & Pancetta Salad mmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 6 1577

That restaurant in mallow has been shut down by food safety

Had a great time at the midsummer table on Sunday night... Each table had a different menu. Ours was from Jacques, market lane and Idaho cafe. All fantastic. Really impressed with how that event was organised, and the great food.
    Downloads_002.jpg

Could someone recommend somewhere for 4 people tomorrow night? One person pretty only eats chicken, another vegetarian and the other 2 don't really care.
    Nothing too fancy, maybe 2 courses.

thanks

Could someone recommend somewhere for 4 people tomorrow night? One person pretty only eats chicken, another vegetarian and the other 2 don't really care.

thanks

Just going by the "nothing too fancy" request which covers a lot... Scoozi's is a fairly casual place. I've not eaten there in years but it was decent, cheerful grub and they probably have a few decent veggie options.
    Cafe Mexicana would be a great option too (if you like Mexican food). It's also casual and fun and the food is great.
    Gourmet Burger Bistro do good burgers and have salad and veggie burger options. Again, it's a nice casual dining experience.
    The Woodford bar does good food too and it'd be quieter mid-week so you're not sitting in the middle of a packed bar :) but I don't think there'd be much choice for the vegetarian.

That's all I can think of in the casual category off the top of my head right now.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Just going by the "nothing too fancy" request which covers a lot... Scoozi's is a fairly casual place. I've not eaten there in years but it was decent, cheerful grub and they probably have a few decent veggie options.
    Cafe Mexicana would be a great option too (if you like Mexican food). It's also casual and fun and the food is great.
    Gourmet Burger Bistro do good burgers and have salad and veggie burger options. Again, it's a nice casual dining experience.
    The Woodford bar does good food too and it'd be quieter mid-week so you're not sitting in the middle of a packed bar :) but I don't think there'd be much choice for the vegetarian.

That's all I can think of in the casual category off the top of my head right now.

Ya I wouldn't be a fan of the other places but Gourmet Burger Bistro is interesting, I havnt tried that.

thanks

Gallaghers on bridge street is a lovely pub that does great food. Nothing fancy, but really nice.

If you like american food, then there's always liberty grill.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement