Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

The Gourmet Burger place on Bridge Street mightn't have the fancy branding of the two new places around the corner but they have been doing really top notch burgers for quite a few years at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

sporina wrote: »
    yes but it was the only actual Thai takeaway in the city... there are none now.. and ramen or chili padi don't make the cut for me..

I know it's not the city but I find Golden Elephant in Douglas to be a pretty good thai place. I've only ever gotten delivery but their pad thai and green curry are top notch, much better then Banna Thai ever was imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭sporina

Léan wrote: »
    I know it's not the city but I find Golden Elephant in Douglas to be a pretty good thai place. I've only ever gotten delivery but their pad thai and green curry are top notch, much better then Banna Thai ever was imo.

yeah i have herd that it is good but tbh i use to use banna thai for take away purposes.. which would not be too often but there are occasions when the need would arise.. and as i live north side, douglas is a bit far for delivery i'd say..

era i will just have to cook it myself..

might try chilli padi again but their menu is so small..

like banna use to do a pepper and garlic stirfry which was divine.. as was the ginger one.. hmm.. how i miss it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh Golden Elephant is loverly was going to suggest it... Much nice than Banna Thai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Aroi closed until further notice, passed it this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

must say - the new coffee place Langford row is looking very cool ... opened today I think ! Cakes look delish
    https://www.facebook.com/Langford-Row-Coffee-Music-Store-531240397035091

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

Was in electric for a meal with work yesterday (our meal was fine - if small portion)

However there was an american couple beside us who ordered there meal and a starter (salad between us) and they still had not got it by nearly 8!! They were very polite to the servers etc but i must admit i was not impressed by the delay

Toppy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

whatever76 wrote: »
    must say - the new coffee place Langford row is looking very cool ... opened today I think ! Cakes look delish
    https://www.facebook.com/Langford-Row-Coffee-Music-Store-531240397035091
    Was off work on Monday and went there with a buddy, sickened it wasn't open yet but will def call in soon :) Looks great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ate in Sage Greenroom in midleton a few days ago. Had a Chicken and Mayo sandwich, and simple as it was, (bread, chicken and mayonnaise) it was very tasty. The chicken was warm like it had just come out of the oven, bread was decent, mayo is apparently homemade. Thumbs up from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Sage is great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Yep, went to Sage a few weeks ago for a birthday dinner, the beef shin was one of the nicest plates of food ive ever eaten

ahhhh Sage is a realllllllly reallllly great restaurant... i wish I lived closer to it - or it was closer to me.... have only had the pleasure of eating there during the day - would love to go at night but we would need a DD.... such great food.. you imagine that the carrots were in the earth hours before they reached your plate,. and the chicken so delicious you just know it had a happy life... drool...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Had Ramon a few times now as its very close to me in cork well where the 1st one that opened is. Its ok i wont be saying its fantastic at all very meh there duck spring rolls are lovely i give them that.

Also don't rate Coqbull at all the last time i was there was with my sister and we both sent back or burgers they where that bad she got the portobello mushroom burger and the mushroom wasn't even cooked and my burger was completely rare in the middle as like burger cooked trow. Wont be back there in hurry.

Liberty Grill now that place is fantastic love there burgers there and there chicken wings are something else.

But i get a fantastic curry from a Indian on north main st sent to me they do a proper tastey madras and there nam bread is also great.

Have seen Elbow Lane there as they have a few craft beers on draft is it any good now is the main thing ?.

Elbow lane I've been there three times (lucky me!) and it was good food each time. Better when you get in early and get a proper table rather than eating at the bar. But I love that whole charred thing. Blackened fish, steak, and even chucking lettuce on the fire for a minute.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭baldtooyoung

Is the ambassador hotel restaurant nice lads and ladies?
    Booked it on a whim for tonight just there!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭baldtooyoung

Went to the ambassador.savage grub,decent price.good vibe and a really nice place.lovely staff and would defo go back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ramen tonight. Pad Thai with chicken. Absolutely excellent. An ample quantity of obviously fresh chicken, fresh veg, piping hot.... excellent. It's more like a Char kway teow with chicken than a Pad Thai, but very tasty. Delivered to the door in 20 minutes. Tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Had Dim Dum in Yuan Ming yesterday It was fab, definately would recommend it, even the O/H, a fussy eater at the best of times enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Went to the Strasbourg Goose 2 weeks ago myself and the wife, it was bitterly disappointing. From the food to the service, it was awful.

Such a shame, I used to love the place.

Oh no shame to hear love the place too but haven't been there in a while

• Advertisement

Milly33 wrote: »
    Oh no shame to hear love the place too but haven't been there in a while

The service was the worst, the waiter was just so cold, a foreign chap with fairly poor English, the other waitress was no better.

We were absolutely rushed through our meal, the table of 6 in front of us were only just been served their starters when we finished our mains. Granted we are just 2 plates so it would be quicker but this was ridiculous, as soon as one plate left the table the next course was out. I couldn't breath or enjoy it. I actually had to tell them come back in 15 minutes and we will order dessert then.

My starter was a pudding salad, the lettuce was drowning in a very sharp Caesar dressing and the pudding was cremated.
    I had the ribeye it was tasteless, unseasoned and a very thinly cut steak.

I do remember when it kinda started going that way.. And it was just about bareable when it started..Another one bites the dust then

I do remember when it kinda started going that way.. And it was just about bareable when it started..Another one bites the dust then

Very much quantity over quality. Unlimited potato gratin and chips says it all.

Like it was €23 for 3 courses, I wasn't expecting amazing but I did expect better. Solid food is what I always got and expected from the Strasbourg Goose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

I went back to Elbow Lane last night and highly recommend that for a glorious ribeye.

anyone been to Son of a Bun? opened last night..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Gourmet Burger, took me far too long to try it, lovely atmosphere as it was quiet, nice music, relaxed & the food was delicious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Went to Son of a Bun for lunch. Really good burger. Chips were supposed to be 'Rosemary' but weren't - no flavour to them - but they were grand.

Fairly pricey for lunch but you'd hardly be going there to often as you'd have a cardiac arrest. €8.50 for the cheeseburger and €3.50 for chips. €12 all in, acceptable.

Words of wisdom sought..

So for late service restaurants in Cork.

I have Arthur Maynes but I would think that will be jammed on a Friday night and it will be later in the evening
    Weatherspoons is on the list alright but is there any other place

Looking to go for nums after the opera house so around 10ish

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Went to Son of a Bun for lunch. Really good burger. Chips were supposed to be 'Rosemary' but weren't - no flavour to them - but they were grand.

Fairly pricey for lunch but you'd hardly be going there to often as you'd have a cardiac arrest. €8.50 for the cheeseburger and €3.50 for chips. €12 all in, acceptable.

you didn't get a drink? i assume they have meal deals?

so what was the atmosphere/vibe like? from what I have seen on FB I would assume its kinda fun?

you didn't get a drink? i assume they have meal deals?

so what was the atmosphere/vibe like? from what I have seen on FB I would assume its kinda fun?

I cheaped out and got tap water :o

Yeah, the atmosphere is good. It was lunch so it was very busy but the place is cool. It's very big though so I would be surprised if over time they manage to fill it out regularly. They have plenty of comfortable looking booths, though I sat up by the window.

They have like a maitre D when you come in. The staff are very friendly but almost a little too attentive, not really letting you get on with it but I imagine that's first day 'excitement'?

They didn't really seem to have meal deals as such. You order your burger and sides (chips etc) separately. They had a 'burger of the month' though it didn't seem to be discounted so i don't know what the point is (it was €10, the cheeseburger was €8.50). It's not cheap but its good quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Words of wisdom sought..

I have Arthur Maynes but I would think that will be jammed on a Friday night and it will be later in the evening

Yuan Ming Yuan serve pretty late.
    Not sure about after 10 though.

Edit: just checked and they're open till 11.30 so you should be fine.

I cheaped out and got tap water :o

Yeah, the atmosphere is good. It was lunch so it was very busy but the place is cool. It's very big though so I would be surprised if over time they manage to fill it out regularly. They have plenty of comfortable looking booths, though I sat up by the window.

They have like a maitre D when you come in. The staff are very friendly but almost a little too attentive, not really letting you get on with it but I imagine that's first day 'excitement'?

They didn't really seem to have meal deals as such. You order your burger and sides (chips etc) separately. They had a 'burger of the month' though it didn't seem to be discounted so i don't know what the point is (it was €10, the cheeseburger was €8.50). It's not cheap but its good quality.

cheap would be poor quality no?
    anyway is it fast food or restaurant? do they use plates/cutlery? is the food home made?
    and how do prices compare with competition? ie with gourmet burger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

From the pictures I've seen, the burgers look delicious. Well up for giving it a try before too long.

serious competition between it and bad boys i'd say

cheap would be poor quality no?
    anyway is it fast food or restaurant? do they use plates/cutlery? is the food home made?
    and how do prices compare with competition? ie with gourmet burger?

Jasus you're demanding.

Jasus you're demanding.

LOL, ANSWER ZE QUESTIONS! :p

I'll guess it is table service, plates and cutlery for 12 euro burger & chips? That's what I'd expect anyway. Price lower would be the cardboard box and a tray service.

I don't need the burger comparison prices with other places. There are roughly a bazillion burger places in cork now, you'd be all day and night comparing them.

pwurple wrote: »
    LOL, ANSWER ZE QUESTIONS! :p

I'll guess it is table service, plates and cutlery for 12 euro burger & chips? That's what I'd expect anyway. Price lower would be the cardboard box and a tray service.

I don't need the burger comparison prices with other places. There are roughly a bazillion burger places in cork now, you'd be all day and night comparing them.

that what i figured..

but if your gonna talk about price you really have to compare with the immediate competition... and while there are lots of places that offer burgers... Gourmet Burger would spring to my mind as an obvious benchmark for Son of a Bun, as they both speciaize in Burgers.

They're very similar. Both similarly priced and both good quality. At the moment I would actually lean to Son of a Bun for a burger but who knows if they can maintain a high standard consistently, though I suppose they will.

Gourmet Burger is good for some other things though such as Falafel burgers etc. which set them apart a little - Son of a Bun is pretty much a burger bar whereas Gourmet Burger have more variety.

Bad boys stuff looks very American style covered in sauces kinda of stuff. haven't tried it but anytime I look at the pics on their page im like yuck.. heard WHite rabbit is much better.

Thanks beer revolu not sure would we go for curry style place but good to know

• Advertisement

Bad boys stuff looks very American style covered in sauces kinda of stuff. haven't tried it but anytime I look at the pics on their page im like yuck.. heard WHite rabbit is much better.

Thanks beer revolu not sure would we go for curry style place but good to know

Yuan Ming Yuan isn't a curry style place. It's a very good Chinese restaurant.
    You'll struggle to find somewhere serving food after 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Words of wisdom sought..

Milly sometimes the Opera House has meal and theatre deals with certain restaurants. Why don't you ring and ask them if there are any on, then you could find out if they are pre- or post-show deals. There might be one doing a late sitting if they are guaranteed the custom.

Thanks Malari might take a look alright we defo need it for after as we wont have enough time beforehand there lies the catch with it, but sure ill see what they say

Just had a burger in Son Of A Bun.
    I just had the classic burger with no sides or drink - €7.50 (although it says €8 on the menu) Not bad value for a lightish lunch.

I liked the decor and the buzz of the place, the friendly staff , quick service - even the relatively loud music didn't bother me. I also liked the open wifi.

The burger was good - nice bun, good flavoured, well seasoned patty and sensible toppings but.....................
    they make a big song and a dance about serving their burgers pink but then don't follow through on that promise. Now, my burger wasn't grossly overcooked but it wasn't pink. I might return but I'll specify a pink burger, although pink is supposed to be the standard.

Also no one asked me during or after my burger how I enjoyed it.
    I left a feedback card, instead.

Just had a burger in Son Of A Bun.
    I just had the classic burger with no sides or drink - €7.50 (although it says €8 on the menu) Not bad value for a lightish lunch.

I liked the decor and the buzz of the place, the friendly staff , quick service - even the relatively loud music didn't bother me. I also liked the open wifi.

The burger was good - nice bun, good flavoured, well seasoned patty and sensible toppings but.....................
    they make a big song and a dance about serving their burgers pink but then don't follow through on that promise. Now, my burger wasn't grossly overcooked but it wasn't pink. I might return but I'll specify a pink burger, although pink is supposed to be the standard.

Also no one asked me during or after my burger how I enjoyed it.
    I left a feedback card, instead.

I had the same thought about the pink burger!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Thought Son of a Bun was very comfortable, nice decor, nice staff. As for the burger I thought it was good, but not spectacular. Sides were all very nice, bit annoyed chips didn't come with rosemary seasoning as the menu stated. We both thought the burgers could have been a bit tastier, if anyone here has tried Bunsen in Dublin that's the best I have tasted in Ireland this was a good bit off. Overall I was expecting better given all buzz etc but would happily go again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

I've having trouble deciding where to go for my graduation dinner, I love the likes of the market lane, electric and the cornstore, anyone have any recommendations I can't make my mind up where to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

We liked market lane too so decided on Blackrock castle ( same company ) . It was really great and it was especially nice to get photos taken around the castle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Does son of a bun have table service aswell?, Spiderdan mentioned Bunsen in Dublin, the burgers are great but the staff are terrible and there is full table service for no reason at all, I hope son of a bun isn't like this because it ruins the casual burger place idea.

Table service, yes. I have no problem with that, doesnt ruin anything for me. Are you upset with table service in Eddie Rockets?

Managed to eat in Salt on Victoria Avenue.
    It's all sharing plates in the evening.

We had a fish plate (€14) and the mini burgers (€6.90 I think?). Fish plate had loads on it. A mackerel mousse, smoked salmon slices, fish pate, huge pile of anchovies, pickled squid, two fish cakes and a little pile of salad. Burgers were tasty, 2 of them. Meat about the side of a golfball with mini bun, cheese and something else, relish maybe. they do desserts too, we had a brownie. Nice, warm and came with icecream.

Place was busy. It's a nice place, I'd go back.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement