Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

If you don't want a specific veggie treat (Cafe paradiso, Iyers) Then there are a few places that do vegetarian menus along with omnivore options. Jacobs on the Mall has vegetarian and vegan menus. http://www.jacobsonthemall.com/menu/
    Ivory tower has a vegetarian menu, japanese influence. Both would be top-range.

For mid-range veggie options, the market lane group are pretty good. That's Market Lane, Orso and Blackrock Castle. The fourth restaurant in that group (Elbow Lane) doesn't do much for a vegetarian, it's a meat fest in there.

For low-end, the street markets do some good vegetarian bits. Brendan's burritos, Nut Case, Rocketman etc on the market circuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Malari wrote: »
    Hmmm, I would definitely disagree with this! I know one friend who is a 'carnivore' went there not knowing it was veggie but when he realised it he got up and left!

To be fair, that's no reflection on the food at Café Paradisso. It's a reflection on your friend's prejudiced notions. He didn't experience the food.
    People can be very odd when it comes to eating food without meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

To be fair, that's no reflection on the food at Café Paradisso. It's a reflection on your friend's prejudice. He didn't experience the food.
    People can be very odd when it comes to eating food without meat.

That's not the point I was making though. I was simply refuting the point that you wouldn't notice it was all veggie. You certainly would, and quite quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That's not the point I was making though. I was simply refuting the point that you wouldn't notice it was all veggie. You certainly would, and quite quickly.

The point I was making was that you'd need to eat the food to realise if you'd miss the meat, which was the point the poster was trying to make.

I think it would be pretty obvious on reading the menu that it is, in fact, vegetarian - unless you don't read English. I'm pretty sure the poster didn't mean people could literally be fooled into thinking they were eating meat. That would be illegal and would require pretty gullible customers.

The point I was making was that you'd need to eat the food to realise if you'd miss the meat, which was the point the poster was trying to make.

I think it would be pretty obvious on reading the menu that it is, in fact, vegetarian - unless you don't read English. I'm pretty sure the poster didn't mean people could literally be fooled into thinking they were eating meat. That would be illegal and would require pretty gullible customers.

Maybe so. It wasn't my experience there. I certainly wouldn't describe myself as a carnivore and I often eat veggie dishes when I'm out, but I do think that someone who usually eats steak or a meat-heavy dish when they are out wouldn't enjoy Cafe Paradiso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sorry everyone that last post was way too vague. I'm fairly clued in on the restaurant scence but my mind is blank. Going to try Zamora I think, thanks for the suggestions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Maybe so. It wasn't my experience there. I certainly wouldn't describe myself as a carnivore and I often eat veggie dishes when I'm out, but I do think that someone who usually eats steak or a meat-heavy dish when they are out wouldn't enjoy Cafe Paradiso.

I would be a pretty heavy meat eater and I've enjoyed Cafe Paradiso each and every time I've eaten there.

The problem I think lies in the fact that there is a cohort of diners who think a sirloin or fillet steak is the only choice when dining out, and they're not very willing to expand past that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Milly33

limnam wrote: »
    Didn't go there for veggie but had some veggie dishes.
    over all it was probably the worst experience I've ever had eating out anywhere.

I wouldn't go back if they offered me a free meal.

Really god went in there once and it was grand like but must say I love the place any other time we have been. Mind you it isn't for a spuds and gravy eater

Well said about the meat and veggie options. Think a lot of it is OMG there is no meat in it what do you mean, shock, horror, rofl... Sad but true

dudara wrote: »
    I would be a pretty heavy meat eater and I've enjoyed Cafe Paradiso each and every time I've eaten there.

The problem I think lies in the fact that there is a cohort of diners who think a sirloin or fillet steak is the only choice when dining out, and they're not very willing to expand past that.

My aforementioned friend would be one of that cohort for sure :pac: I was just thinking a person described as a "carnivore" may not be open to a veg-only restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭sporina

ok so someone asks for a recommendation for a restaurant that has veggie and meat options - and then a "vegetarian" restaurant is suggested..

I mean, where is the objectivity in that???

That is so typical of this place.

Its not about where we like to eat - its about what the OP requires..

Sporina, lol, wha?

You know when you are in a couple, one half of the couple wants to treat the other half, or go do a thing they like the odd time. Kinda like dragging yourself to a rom-com or a sci-fi when it's not normally your thing. There were about 20 different options there, and the poster went to Zamora. A happy result all round!

Knickers untwisted?

pwurple wrote: »
    Sporina, lol, wha?

You know when you are in a couple, one half of the couple wants to treat the other half, or go do a thing they like the odd time. Kinda like dragging yourself to a rom-com or a sci-fi when it's not normally your thing. There were about 20 different options there, and the poster went to Zamora. A happy result all round!

Knickers untwisted?

Pwurple, i was referring to the fact that someone suggested Cafe Paradiso.. a vegetarian restaurant,, the OP asked for somewhere that would suit a veggie and carnivore.. hence I suggested places that serve both - Zamora being one of them..

Not sure how your post is relevant to mine

Actually don't think I'm going to go to Zamora, I like the look of Jacobs on the Mall, the vegan and vegetarian menu is very appealing too.

Actually don't think I'm going to go to Zamora, I like the look of Jacobs on the Mall, the vegan and vegetarian menu is very appealing too.

Enjoy, the food is good there. It's a great space too. It used to be the Turkish baths in the city, opened by Alf Jacobs in the 1890's. It was closed during the time of the cities polio epidemic after the second world war, but the facade is still the original doors to the baths.

OMG pwurple!! You sound so angry haha :)... I think we should all untwist our knickers both ladies and gents :)

Enjoy the meal Rob and sure make sure and come back to tell us how it goes

Will do folks, myself and the girlfriend are together 10 years so its a special occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Guys, cop on, let's not get into personal attacks here please.

J Mysterio, please keep on topic of the thread

• Advertisement

Milly33 wrote: »
    OMG pwurple!! You sound so angry haha :)... I think we should all untwist our knickers both ladies and gents :)

Enjoy the meal Rob and sure make sure and come back to tell us how it goes

Milly33, please report a post if you have a problem with it and don't backseat mod, thanks.

the beer revolu, please don't respond to off topic comments on thread, as you only serve to drag it further off course. If you have a problem with a post, please report it.

Booked out for the weekend, balls. Back to the drawing board

Ah that's a shame. How about Greene's? We've been there a couple of times for special occasion type dinners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I know it's not city centre, but how about Gallo & Galetti? It's great Italian food, and will surely cover both vegetarians and meat-eaters.

Wouldn't call that backseat moding more like trying to make a joke...

Could try Nosta then Rob, haven't been in a while but another poster saud they were there recently and enjoyed. The menu looks like it has everything http://www.nosta.ie/#!menu/c14bh.

From what I remember it was a little pricer than lets say scozzis but then it taster very fresh and the portions were huge.. Very comfy ambiance to place... The calamari was the best if you like fish

• Advertisement

Milly33 wrote: »
    Wouldn't call that backseat moding more like trying to make a joke...

Could try Nosta then Rob, haven't been in a while but another poster saud they were there recently and enjoyed. The menu looks like it has everything http://www.nosta.ie/#!menu/c14bh.

From what I remember it was a little pricer than lets say scozzis but then it taster very fresh and the portions were huge.. Very comfy ambiance to place... The calamari was the best if you like fish

Milly33, I'd appreciate if you would just report a post if you feel things are going off topic etc. and not comment about it in the thread. Just ignore it and continue to discuss restaurant recommendations, as is the topic of the thread.

rob316 wrote: »

Bummer, Blackrock castle too ordinary? Menu is here, they mark vegetarian options with (v)
    http://www.castlecafe.ie/menu.php?idF=80

for when do you need the booking?

congrats by the way...

you need somewhere nice for such an occasion - Star Anise is fab - and they do a lot of specials that you will not see on the menu on line.. and its reasonable.. for the quality..

There is a lot of fish on the menu but also a few veggie options and meat..

I would highly recommend it - and they will look after you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Does it have to be city centre? Market Lane and Orso are lovely but for the occasion maybe a bit busy.
    Greene's would be nice as suggested by Malari but I couldn't recommend Star Anise, I thought it was really bland food and very overpriced. Just my personal opinion though.
    Congrats aswell!

northgirl wrote: »
    Does it have to be city centre? Market Lane and Orso are lovely but for the occasion maybe a bit busy.
    Greene's would be nice as suggested by Malari but I couldn't recommend Star Anise, I thought it was really bland food and very overpriced. Just my personal opinion though.
    Congrats aswell!

wow i am a regular in Star Anise - and i am a fussy fecker..
    perhaps you got it on a bad night..?
    I love how they use fresh local ingredients with a kind of mediterranean twist.. dishes like their lamb tagine is sublime - as are all their fish dishes.. and homemade ravioli... and they always have something new on their specials menu .. and their customer service is excellent - professional but yet personal.. and its reasonable... I find it same quality as places like Jaques, but lower in price..

I use to like Green's - was good in the boom but found it has gone down hill in recent times unfortunately.. perhaps that why they havebeen issuing a lot of grabone deals.. trying to get custom back..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Was in Greenes a few nights ago and found it to be amazing. Really enjoyed it, best dinner out i have had in a while. Have not been there in a few years, but always remember the food being a high standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I was in star anise once and was very disappointed with the mains. Haven't gone back since, I suppose I should.

Don't like Star Anise either, food slapdash, atmosphere basic, whole thing a bit studenty.

Just booked updown for during the week to check it out.

Ended up in Galleo and Galetti last night, hadn't been in a long time its was still a fantastic meal. The must have received complaints about portion size before or something ours mains were enormous. I'd comfortably eat 3 course usually but I really struggled on the pasta mains.

Nice, atmosphere and great staff .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Ended up in Galleo and Galetti last night, hadn't been in a long time its was still a fantastic meal. The must have received complaints about portion size before or something ours mains were enormous. I'd comfortably eat 3 course usually but I really struggled on the pasta mains.

Been meaning to try this place for ages... glad it was so good!

pwurple wrote: »
    Don't like Star Anise either, food slapdash, atmosphere basic, whole thing a bit studenty.

Just booked updown for during the week to check it out.

oh come one, are ye all mates on here or what..?

you find Star Anise "studenty"??? seriously..

i'd say you would be more likely to meet students in updown..

seriously.. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

sporina wrote: »

seriously.. lol

Please try and stay on topic and less about the poster you quoted. Thanks

Mod lol

seriously.. lol

Have you a review on updown posted? I haven't been there yet, hence giving it an auld go.

seriously.. lol

The one time I was in Star Anise the main courses for all the party were very poor. I don't see the issue voicing that.

staying on topic and no more,,, glad you have a great eve OP..

On another note, had take out from Chilli Padi the other night and it was just great...
    The first time we got it the portions were v small - the main dish tub was only about half full - my OH had to put on more rice at home to fill up - this time the tubs were full - and the ingredients were so fresh and delicious..
    We had various chicken stirfrys - I asked for shiitake mushrooms of which they were lots of and there was other quality veg such as fresh fine green beans, lots of peppers etc.. and the flavours were wonderful - and a clean finish and not at all salty,..
    I had been missing Banna but I have to say, this surpassed it...
    The consistency now is the only thing I would query.. I wonder if the next time will be as good.
    Just shows - you can not rate a restaurant/take out by one visit..

• Advertisement

Visited the parlour café on Cornmarket Street on Saturday and it was really nice :) Very busy also! Myself and my friend both had the roast chicken sandwich with coleslaw, lettuce and a garlic aioli and small salad garnish on the side. The chicken was warm and was proper off the bone chicken - not cheap plastic stuff that you get in some places. It was served in fresh soft ciabatta (from the Pana bread shop in Merchants Quay), which was delicious! They have a lovely lunch menu and we also noticed that they do tapas from Thursday to Sunday (I think) - from 6pm to 10pm and the tapas look great (someone posted a pic on their twitter page at the weekend). The chef is a Catalan native, I think. They also do breakfast/brunch and all their sweet treats/cakes are gluten free:)

It really is a lovely place, I would highly recommend! We will be going back for the tapas soon hopefully!

Forgot to include link to their website: http://parlourcafe.ie/

Gallo and Chilli Padi are very solid I think. Gallo is definitely underrated because of its location.

Greenes tasting menu at the weekend. It was fine. Not bad or great.

I still think we are missing somewhere "special". Trying Les Gourmandaise again soon, was a little unimpressed previously but looking forward to trying again. Fabulous mid range stuff in Cork now. The choice is amazing.

I still think we are missing somewhere "special". Trying Les Gourmandaise again soon, was a little unimpressed previously but looking forward to trying again. Fabulous mid range stuff in Cork now. The choice is amazing.

I think you're right there. Most of the high end ones are gone. Oysters and Augustines, Lovetts maybe going back a bit. If Ivory tower was more consistent...

Les Gourmandaise is up there, but I'd probably end up going down to the cliff house hotel for about the nearest super-special place. Hayfield is ok, but it's not superstar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Had lunch today in Salt. Thought it was a nice spot but a little draughty when the door opened, we sat in the window . Layout towards the front is high stools at tables for two. Place was not very busy. Staff good . Now for the food review ! I had tarte of the day. Which was vegetarian quiche , toasted veg with goats cheese . It was yum . Pastry nice and crunchy and filling just a lightly firm texture, not dried out and full of great flavours. Served on a wooden board ( not a fan ) with a crunchy green salad. Lunch partner had chicken chic which was a chicken and salad sandwich on a nice bread ( perhaps sourdough ? ) served with a s salad also . Approx €7 each . Dinner menu looked very interesting .. Verging along the tapas/ wine bar type menu . I will be back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

I'll be honest, I've never gone to place to eat hoping that there's a great selection of meatballs on the menu, but good luck to them.

whatever76 wrote: »

yeah i heard a while ago that it will be where Huguenot was - would not appeal to myself.. i hope that have better luck than all the other businesses that have been there,..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Good luck to them. I don't eat meat so would not interest me at all. I did show it to my boyfriend and the idea sounds great to him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭walsh08

Anyone planning to try 'UpDown' did you see their groupon offer?Just spotted it and also a further 15% off that with the groupon discount code mydealpage15 til Nov. 22nd

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement