Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

Alright, fish restaurants! The best one in cork city or surrounding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

murfilein wrote: »

Fish bar upstairs in electric.
    Quinlan's
    Oyster's used to be great, but it's closed now. :(
    Kinsale has fishy fishy, the Bulman, man friday, the white house, jim edwards etc.

Not a great time of year now for fish though is the only thing. Between chrsitmas and new years. Even the fishmongers will be closed until after the new year, so you won't get much fresh as not many trawlers are out. Frozen, smoked or salted bits around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Think this is something Cork needs. We both love fish but fresh stuff really and find it hard to get a nice place in Cork..

In Cork City the N Square is nice a little bit pricey and the atmosphere is a bit non exisisting there..

Noasta was very nice too the calamari is the best i have ever tasted.

Ivory tower do loverly non traditional fish dishes.

Outside Cork then
    Poachers on the Bandon road
    We were just told about another Clon also ill try and get the name of it
    Caseys down in Baltimore best crab claws ever

I so wish Cork had someplace like Morans or The lobster hut place in Kerry

Jim Edwards as said too is very nice they do a loverly Oyster selection plate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

The Finders Inn is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

11214 wrote: »
    The Finders Inn is excellent.

The fish pie is divine. Followed by a cheese board and washed down with a pint of Murphy's, of course :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Went to The Meatball Place (Carey's Lane) last night and I would be happy to give it a thumbs up. Not gourmet cuisine by any means but tasty and great value. I had the chicken wings (€5.50) to start with beef meatballs, gravy (which was more like a jus than gravy) and creamy mashed potato (€10) for main. I thought the starter was the right size (not too big), suitably spicy and tasty. The meatballs were chunky and delicious but I would have preferred actual gravy rather than what was served. The mash was excellent and a big portion - I couldn't eat it all. For dessert we had the malteaser cheesecake which was tasty but the base was rather hard - one dessert was plenty for the 2 of us.

We both agreed that it was excellent comfort food and that we would return. They have a good wine list with Heino/Moretti on tap and several bottled craft beers. We paid €56 for 2 starters, 2 mains, 1 dessert, 1 coffee,1 pint of Moretti and 2 glasses of wine, which I thought was excellent value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Anyone been to Les Gourmandises recently?

The last mention of them here seems to be over 14 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 schofferhofer

Had lunch at the Meatballs place on Carey street and must say that I was pleasantly surprised.Excellent value for money. Food was delicious with enormous portions(the way me likes :)) Ambiance is good and I was definitely impressed by the time i left. Would certainly recommend it as it is lovely food and more importantly reasonably priced (unlike some overpriced restaurants)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭snoopy12

Ventured out to Murphs in east Cork today. Easily the best food we've enjoyed in recent times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

snoopy12 wrote: »
    Ventured out to Murphs in east Cork today. Easily the best food we've enjoyed in recent times.

Where in East cork?

It's in East Ferry outside midleton off the whitegate road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

We ate in the cornstore during the week and i wouldnt be going back in a rush.
    Starters of wings and black pudding/brie were nice but expensive at E9 each. We had a burger and curry for mains, the burger was homemade and looked delicious but didnt taste of much. The curry was really good tho. We both had cheesecake for dessert and that was also pretty tasteless. The thin top layer of mango was nice but the middle was very bland. Add in 2 cokes and a tea and it came to E75 which was probably more than ive ever paid for any meal for 2 without drinks.
    I also ordered onion rings which never came out. When i asked they apologised and said theyd get them. My dinner was almost gone when they arrived. The waiter said i wouldnt be charged. Only realised i paid for them when i saw the reciept at home later on. We also had to ask for milk for the tea as they forgot that too.
    We were really dissappointed with it. Its one of the few places we've eaten that i wont be going back to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I was at Zamora a couple of times recently for lunch and I really enjoyed it. I got the halloumi and roast veg sandwich and it was really tasty. Filling but not too much, which I like. They have great wine too, and the service was prompt and polite. Lovely spot for a quiet lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

limnam wrote: »
    Anyone been to Les Gourmandises recently?

The last mention of them here seems to be over 14 months ago.

I was there last Spring for the first time. Honestly I wouldn't be rushing back there. The food was nice, don't get me wrong but I'm more into laid back, informal dining tbh. I thought it was expensive for what we got too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

Malari wrote: »
    I was at Zamora a couple of times recently for lunch and I really enjoyed it. I got the halloumi and roast veg sandwich and it was really tasty. Filling but not too much, which I like. They have great wine too, and the service was prompt and polite. Lovely spot for a quiet lunch.

i am mad to go there.. but i will wait till later in the new year..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

snoopy12 wrote: »

On the basis of my last visit you should try the sandwich bar in supervalu for better food. I had heard wonderful things about it, and kept nagging the OH to try it (it's not far from us) but it was woeful. It is a pub fair enough, but we were elbow to elbow with pint slingers, eating bland Mammy food. Not my idea of a good meal.

Cedrus wrote: »
    On the basis of my last visit you should try the sandwich bar in supervalu for better food. I had heard wonderful things about it, and kept nagging the OH to try it (it's not far from us) but it was woeful. It is a pub fair enough, but we were elbow to elbow with pint slingers, eating bland Mammy food. Not my idea of a good meal.

Hi Cedrus, wow that's so disappointing. Maybe we got it on a good day or you on a bad one. Either way we were happy with the food, flavour combos etc but we have had similar experiences to you in other places and I hate when it happens! I find it particularly galling to pay for food that you'd do better at home yourself for half the cost.

The day we were there had very few drinkers but quite a lot dining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

.red. wrote: »
    We ate in the cornstore during the week and i wouldnt be going back in a rush.
    Starters of wings and black pudding/brie were nice but expensive at E9 each. We had a burger and curry for mains, the burger was homemade and looked delicious but didnt taste of much. The curry was really good tho. We both had cheesecake for dessert and that was also pretty tasteless. The thin top layer of mango was nice but the middle was very bland. Add in 2 cokes and a tea and it came to E75 which was probably more than ive ever paid for any meal for 2 without drinks.
    I also ordered onion rings which never came out. When i asked they apologised and said theyd get them. My dinner was almost gone when they arrived. The waiter said i wouldnt be charged. Only realised i paid for them when i saw the reciept at home later on. We also had to ask for milk for the tea as they forgot that too.
    We were really dissappointed with it. Its one of the few places we've eaten that i wont be going back to.

Can never understand the popularity of this place. It's woeful!

• Advertisement

dont understand it either its nice for cocktails thats it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Milly33 wrote: »
    dont understand it either its nice for cocktails thats it

You have to hand it to Cornstore owners, they have managed to fool people into going to their restaurant for years. It's baffling. They are now doing the same with that glorified chipper Coq Bull.

Proof, I think, that lots of people like bland food. The fact that Eco, Currans, Scoozis, Luigi Malones (and some more) still exist, is further proof of this.

kcb wrote: »
    You have to hand it to Cornstore owners, they have managed to fool people into going to their restaurant for years. It's baffling. They are now doing the same with that glorified chipper Coq Bull.

Proof, I think, that lots of people like bland food. The fact that Eco, Currans, Scoozis, Luigi Malones (and some more) still exist, is further proof of this.

I must say im a big fan of luigis. Im a chicken wing nut and havent found many places that do them better. I woukdnt be a huge fan of the rest of their menu but the(large) wings and toblerone cheesecake are my favourite main and dessert in the city. I might only go once or twice a year but dont even look at the menu anymore.

i was in luigi's once and it was so bad it was funny - sorry if that offends those who like it..

I had chicken salad - the croutons were stale personified.. the chicken was like something from a deli.. the kids lasagne was as tough as old boots.. i am not kidding..

no offense but chicken wings - hardly good food - all you need are some chicken wings and a sauce,,, and what ever about the quality of their wings - not something i would order.. and i doubt they make their own sauce

I like the pizza in Luigi's. Only thing I'd ever eat in there. And only once or twice a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Luigis is awful. The food also comes out way too fast which isn't a good sign. Lots of people I know love it there. Some people just like bland food and huge portions I guess!

I don't go near the Cornstore. Had an interview for a waitressing job there when I was a student and they came across as a horrible place to work for. The attitude of the fella interviewing me made me stay away from the place. They offered me a trial, but I politely declined.

• Advertisement

you know, one thing I have come to really realise from 2015 is that one cannot go by reviews of anything.. restaurants, movies, books, etc... its so subjective - depends on one standard, preferences etc..

but as we are talking about food - I think it is especially the case.. like Coqbull is a perfect example.. its obviously very popular.. but i went there once out of just needing somewhere to eat - jazz weekend after 9.30 - had planned to go to chilli padi - just for something fast but not fast food - but it was closed - so ended up in coqbull.. i had my reservations but had not been..

but my god, i would have been better off with a burger king.. such much.. poor quality meat laced with salt, flavourings and sauces..

i had to have 3 sparkling waters after it..

some may like this over flavoured food - to mask the poor quality i would think.. but i don't eat such muck too often so it did not go down well with me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Totally agree sporina, luigi's and coqbull are not for me either, but loads of people are into it. It is all subjective.

That's why I really love a post with loads of details. "Great food in x place" leaves me no wiser.

Tell us what you had and why you liked it. I guess the risk is people jumping down your neck and calling you names about what you like/don't like.

pwurple wrote: »
    Totally agree sporina, luigi's and coqbull are not for me either, but loads of people are into it. It is all subjective.

That's why I really love a post with loads of details. "Great food in x place" leaves me no wiser.

Tell us what you had and why you liked it. I guess the risk is people jumping down your neck and calling you names about what you like/don't like.

yeah there is always a risk of people being offended - and its not meant that way - not from me anyway.. i just like minimally processed local fresh food - cooked well..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Was dragged into coqbull today as it happens. 10 mins wait so I could pay €13.50 for a burger and tiny portion of chips. Place was full to the brim, you'd get better value in some of the better chippers alright.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

sozbox wrote: »
    Was dragged into coqbull today as it happens. 10 mins wait so I could pay €13.50 for a burger and tiny portion of chips. Place was full to the brim, you'd get better value in some of the better chippers alright.

I know and they never make you wait in a chipper! And they lay on such lavish surroundings, while you wait for your food. The table service is just great. And the jax is never as greasy as their chips.

13€ for a meal in a restaurant is 'cheap as chips' IMHO

Btw I don't think much of the 3 spots being discussed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Some people's attitudes are gas. This is about opinions, some of the posts are so OTT proclaiming this place and that place are crap like its a fact.

I wouldn't be a huge fan of Coqbull at all, but comparing it to a chipper is disingenuous. I've often waited 10 minutes in Lennox and they definitely don't offer me a seat, a waiter, music or a choice of alcoholic drinks.

Even if I am getting the same quality food, I'd still prefer to sit in a restaurant than a chipper! I don't mind comments on food quality, but it's not the same as going to a chipper. I've only been to Coqbull once and I far prefer the burgers and chips in Son of a Bun. Tastier and skinny, well done chips, the way I like them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

What is the verdict on Eco Douglas?

as for luigis lol. it sems to be a marmite restaurant. you love it or hate it lol.
    personally im not mad about the place but like i said above i love chicken wings and they do for me anyway, the best in the city. i also love their cheesecake. anything else ive tried in there has been a bit meh!

Techmaster wrote: »

the food is ok, nothing special.
    book a table for an extra 2 people, when you are seated wait 5 minutes and thell them the rest of the party cancelled. otherwise you will be seated so close to the people next to you you'll think your sharing a table with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Techmaster wrote: »

Massively popular.
    Awful over priced dated food in a hot crowded atmosphere.
    (should add that it's about 13 years since I've been but have no reason to believe it has changed)

Just checked their website.
    They have a choice of over 60 main courses.
    9 different types of potato sides.
    All fresh and lovingly cooked, no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Coqbull is clearly the new Ramen for this place. It's cool to picks flaws in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

gimmick wrote: »
    Coqbull is clearly the new Ramen for this place. It's cool to picks flaws in it.

I think the reason both of those places get special attention here IMO is (they are crap BUT ALSO) they have this 'attitude' and blow on about how great they are. The sheep mentality that exists only spurs them on!

I dislike Ramen because of the very low quality of the food. How dare you suggest that it is for some sort of notion of being "cool", whatever you mean by that?

It is very ignorant to label people who have different views to your own as somehow having a "sheep" mentally. A real lazy form of argument.
    Do you seriously think people are going to Coqbull and Ramen, enjoying their meals and then reporting that it was terrible just to be "cool"? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I quite like Coqbull but the criticism of Ramen is justified, its very poor value.

kcb wrote: »
    I think the reason both of those places get special attention here IMO is (they are crap BUT ALSO) they have this 'attitude' and blow on about how great they are. The sheep mentality that exists only spurs them on!

oh i would not agree with you here - i'd say it uncool to say you like coqbull.. lol..

as for ramen - it defo has a market.. its not the best asian but its not the worst and i think the set up is good for young adults/families.. there is a nice relaxed atm in there.. its not for me but i can see that it would have a market

• Advertisement

sporina wrote: »
    . its not for me

Trying to be hip with the cool kids, hu?

Trying to be hip with the cool kids, hu?

sorry?

Went to Son of a Bun earlier for a Birthday lunch, wow! Got the SOB Burger and it was so good, loads of toppings and the pattie was cooked to perfection. Monster of a burger.

Wings for starters, again excellent best I have had in a while.

Knickerbocker Glory for dessert was again lovely, bit OTT on the strawberry though.

Service was great, and the setting of the place is so chilled out.

As a fan of Coqbull, this is in a different league.

Look to be doing really well too, the place was packed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Rubbish.

If it was cool to knock Ramen it would be as equally cool to knock Chill Pad. But IMHO they're a world apart quality wise.

Cool or not you couldn't knock Ramen if the food was decent. It's not.It's sh|te.

limnam wrote: »
    Rubbish.

If it was cool to knock Ramen it would be as equally cool to knock Chill Pad. But IMHO they're a world apart quality wise.

Cool or not you couldn't knock Ramen if the food was decent. It's not.It's sh|te.

yeah they are worlds apart - Chilli Padi is fantastic.. € but worth it once in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

So chili paad is expensive? Never been do don't know. If so why the comparison to ramen which is cheap? Different markets, different ingredient quality and different expectations surely. Not all restaurants should be compared at same standards. There is a market for both and both suit different occasions.

This thread is compulsive reading but utterly meaningless for restaurant recommendations. The only way to out if you like a restaurant is to go... Not based on anything here. Someone have out about pint singers in a pub when they were eating. Dear God. It is a pub. And I hazard a guess that anyone who uses the phrase pint singers should not eat in a pub to begin with a they are not going to enjoy it. Someone else said the same pub is great for food.

Chilli Padi is cheaper than Ramen or equal in price on all dishes. I am constantly in there.

There are a good few semi-regular posters in here who I know would like the same kind of restaurants I do, so if they give a new restaurant a good or bad review it gives me a good indication if I'll like it.

As for Ramen, I actually don't mind it too much. It's fast food. I do agree it seemed to start off with better quality meals than it is now. I haven't tried Chilli Padi yet, as the location of Ramen is more convenient usually, but I will at some stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd prefer Son of a Bun over Coqbull anyday, the OH is the opposite then, prefers Coqbull. :o

Went to Meatball Place on Saturday and we both enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

After reading the recommendations here we went to The Meatball Place for lunch last week. While it is excellent value (€7.50 for lunch) we wouldn't go back. The meatballs themselves were small, yes the sides were big, but didn't make up for the mains.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement