Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

rob316 wrote: »
    Chilli Padi is cheaper than Ramen or equal in price on all dishes. I am constantly in there.

Ah sorry...Thanks. Previous post made me think it was more expensive with the euro symbol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Went to Dashi on Cook St for noodles the other day. It was really nice. Pity they dont serve beer. But would definitely go back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭sporina

Chilli Padi is cheaper than Ramen or equal in price on all dishes. I am constantly in there.

well actually i only ever get stirfrys and Chilli Padi's are €11.95 while Ramen's are €10.95 - and I only ever get them delivered for a meal for two is circa €27.. but I will pay that for the quality of Chilli Padi - once in a while... I would not pay that for Ramen - not in a fit.. as the quality is not there for me..

but hey, we won't argue over a €1 - I am saying that for me - who cooks - and only gets deliveries once in a while, it is €.. (defo not gonna pay for bad quality though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Went to rockat man the other day for Falafel after reading so many good things on here about them. Before this i never had one and always wonted to try one and i was not disappointed at all with it and tasted just fantastic. I had the Mexican one and for 6.50 you really cant go wrong as i full after it. Will be going back again soon.

Also went to burritos and blue for a burritos was also very nice i had a steak, black beans and cheese and spicy salsa was nice but felt it was quite small compare to what other people got and was still a small bit hungry after it.

Box noodle is also not bad went here on a date not to long ago i know i know how cheap. But we where both hugy and we seen that they had a one of 3 things for 7.50 with a drink and if you had a student card another 10% off so worked out 6.75 each for us. I used for the honey and chili crispy chicken while my date had the chicken chow main. Both very nice and loads of food for 6.75 so will be going back there soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

I don't think there is much difference in price between Ramen and Chilli Padi, aside from the €6 thing in Ramen (which is €6 as they put very little meat in it it seems!). Exact same market.

This has gone off topic a bit alright!

I won't ever understand it but it seems there are certain places that people will just go to regardless of quality or service. Come forward Cornstore, Coqbull, Eco. Also places that are not bad but not good enough to have a queue outside in the rain; Liberty Grill, KCs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Went to the rocketman falafel place today. I ordered the standard sandwich but with extra jalapeños. Is it just me or does €0.50 seem an outrageous charge for a few slices of jalapeños in a €6.50 sandwich. I declined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

My husband and I had lunch in the Linen Weaver recently. I had never been to a Wetherspoons before and to be honest, I wasn’t expecting much, I must say I was pleasantly surprised. The décor is lovely and it was busy with a buzzing atmosphere so I didn’t notice the lack of music. I have no issues with ordering at the bar, a lot of pubs in the UK do this and it saves waiting around for a waiter to come to you. My husband had a ham and cheese panini, I had the philly cheese steak baguette which came with chips and onion rings. It was an outrageous amount of food for the price! The panini was pretty good – how exciting can a ham and cheese panini be! But my philly cheese steak was nice, the meat was really tasty and nicely done. The onion rings were a bit soggy, but the chips were fantastic! Lovely and fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside and so tasty. I’d go back for the chips alone! The two meals with two soft drinks came to €15 which is superb value in anyone’s language. I have read that the staff aren’t good, but our waiter was pleasant and came and checked on us a couple of times.

It’s not fine dining by any stretch, but it’s pretty good food at a very reasonable price in nice surroundings. I will definitely go again and I think it’s a good addition to the Cork dining scene.

Went to the rocketman falafel place today. I ordered the standard sandwich but with extra jalapeños. Is it just me or does €0.50 seem an outrageous charge for a few slices of jalapeños in a €6.50 sandwich. I declined.

€6.50 for a sandwich?!

kcb wrote: »
    €6.50 for a sandwich?!

Essentially, yes. Or €7 if you want a few slices of jalapeño in it.
    It's a falafel sandwich in flatbread with some salad stuff and hummus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

dropped the brother back down to Cork yesterday (disgrace that cork-limerick road was completely shelved but i digress) and checked out two places, fenn's quay and gourmet burger bistro.

we didn't know whether to go to elbow lane for the 3rd time or not, but we said we'd check out fenn's quay for a change. early bird was decent value but nothing jumped out so we just went for two mains. i got the venison special and he got shoulder beef, along with two sides of mash. venison nothing to write home about, sauce not great and small portion but i suppose that's standard at these 'kind' of restaurants. mash was fecking delish though! my venison was €20, his beef was €17 and mash side was €3 each so it was fecking pricey. definitely not going back, elbow lane all the way which was similiar prices but way better fare. here's a pic of the venison: https://goo.gl/photos/4kZ9vYkVFv3wgxTR8

i was still hungry (!) so walked around town for a while checking out somewhere else to go. town was abssolutely DEAD Monday night, most places were empty, barmen on their phones in front of an empty bar which is to be expected the first Monday after Xmas. Little did I know that everyone was hiding out in Son of a Bun! i headed up there with plans to go to Bad Boys BBQ but I didn't know (and yelp didn't tell me) that it's closed a Monday. here's a crappy photo of the crowd in Son of a Bun then, with 4 girls also waiting for a table at 9pm: https://goo.gl/photos/n7qyhjNwdRXQpuWb7
    it's like there was more people here than the rest of Cork's restaurants combined! i must give it another chance when i can get a seat, didn't think much of if when I tried before Xmas, not a patch on any of the Dublin burger joints

I just headed to an empty Gourmet Burger Bistro and got the Lamb burger/blue cheese special. It was alright, nothing to write home about. I could barely taste the blue cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Can anyone recommend a good seafood restaurant in the city? One that is open on a Sunday evening. I know there is one in Electric. Haven't heard much about them though! Been to Quinlans and like it but looking for something more suited to a special occasion.

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good seafood restaurant in the city? One that is open on a Sunday evening. I know there is one in Electric. Haven't heard much about them though! Been to Quinlans and like it but looking for something more suited to a special occasion.

one should never eat Seafood on a Sunday as its not fresh - on deliveries on Sunday..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

sporina wrote: »
    one should never eat Seafood on a Sunday as its not fresh - on deliveries on Sunday..

Out of curiosity how fresh do you think fresh fish is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Ah be grand like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

11214 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity how fresh do you think fresh fish is?

Caught that morning.

Never really thought about fish not being caught & delivered on a Sunday before... is that true? Can't imagine it makes a world of difference anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭.red.

The old fishmonger story of "it was caught off ballycotton night" is as believable as fish having fingers.
    The large trawlers leave and depending n their catch rate could be gone to sea for 3/4 days to a week. Everything that is caught is filleted and iced. You could collect it off the boat and it could be 4/5/6 days old.
    All seabass sold in Ireland is imported, its supposed to be anyway. It's all farmed in Greece. If they tell you its wild and Irish their either lying or selling illegal fish.
    Lastly, a lot of corks sales of cod and other white fish are caught in Iceland, processed over there and flown via a cargo aircraft to shannon. Our local fishmongers drive up to collect it from a warehouse 4 nights a week and tell the mugs in their shop its fresh from castletownbere last night

well I was told that by a reputable restaurant owner and the bally cotton guys..

but i guess it depends how fussy you are - i do not eat cod these days - we know its not local.. i always get the local stuff in the market..

And as for Sunday's, I only really eat fish when I am out for a nice meal - but I forgot this rule on two occasions..

One was in Electric - the special was suppose to be hake but they ran out so they gave me something that was suppose to be Cod - when i took the skin off all that was left were a few flakes of what was suppose to be fish (defrosted to long in MW i'd say)..

On another occasion it was in a restaurant in Killarney - was so unwell for hours afterwards.. again - probably defrosted.. or just not fresh..

and the thing is, you pay a lot for fish when out - so I make sure its from a reputable source and get the catch of the day...

But perhaps its not a hard and fast rule - depends on where you go..
    Thats my twopence worth anyway

Lovely lunch in Iyer's today.
    Ordered my masala dosa with some extra pickle (ramekin of gorgeous made-in -house mango pickle) and guess what? No extra charge!

Real value imo.
    The more I think about it, the rocketman falafel place is really quite expensive for what is essentially a takeaway place with a couple of cramped semi outdoor seats. The extra charge for some jalapeños just brought it home to me.

In Iyer's for €6.95 you can get a masala dosa that comes with 2 chutneys and a little bowl of sambar (like a thin soup) on a plate with cutlery, a carafe of water with a real glass and eat it indoors at a clean table.

well I was told that by a reputable restaurant owner and the bally cotton guys..

i always get the local stuff in the market..

I wouldnt believe a word anyone in the market tells me. A few years ago there was a lot of hassle at cork airport. The licak trawler lads were picketing over the amount of fish being brought in on a cargo flight. Half the vans that were collecting it were from well known shops around the county and from the english market. That flight moved to shannon a while back and afaik it still lands there. If you ask where it comes from none of them will tell you its Icelandic fish flown into Ireland. Sure its all local!
    The only fish that is defo gonna be fresh in Cork is anything caught by an angler who is giving away his catch. Anything else can be sitting in fridge on a boat for whatever amount if days before it hits the counter or restaurant. That doesnt mean theres anything wrong with it tho. If someone offered you a nice plunp codling that they caught in monkstown 3 days earlier you probably wouldnt eat it tho.

.red. wrote: »
    I wouldnt believe a word anyone in the market tells me. A few years ago there was a lot of hassle at cork airport. The licak trawler lads were picketing over the amount of fish being brought in on a cargo flight. Half the vans that were collecting it were from well known shops around the county and from the english market. That flight moved to shannon a while back and afaik it still lands there. If you ask where it comes from none of them will tell you its Icelandic fish flown into Ireland. Sure its all local!
    The only fish that is defo gonna be fresh in Cork is anything caught by an angler who is giving away his catch. Anything else can be sitting in fridge on a boat for whatever amount if days before it hits the counter or restaurant. That doesnt mean theres anything wrong with it tho. If someone offered you a nice plunp codling that they caught in monkstown 3 days earlier you probably wouldnt eat it tho.

that is why one has to be mindful of where and when you eat fish.. the proof is in the pudding - hence i had two bad experiences

in one of those restaurants i will NEVER eat again and in the other, I might, but I won't order fish on a sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

If you go into The Good Fish in Carrigaline they have the origins if all their fish on display. Very little of it local . If you want really fresh fish you would need to be at the pier when the day boats come in and try and buy some from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lovely lunch to today in Tiramisu (La Dolce Vitas new café). Got a baguette with salami, leaves, fennel, and mayo, toasted and a pancetta and lentil soup.
    The soup was so good, chunks and chunks of pancetta, taste was beautiful.
    €7 for a nice roll and soup, cant go wrong there and it was busy enough in there when I was there.

Décor is great in there and it really feels authentic Italian.

Lovely lunch to today in Tiramisu (La Dolce Vitas new café). Got a baguette with salami, leaves, fennel, and mayo, toasted and a pancetta and lentil soup.
    The soup was so good, chunks and chunks of pancetta, taste was beautiful.
    €7 for a nice roll and soup, cant go wrong there and it was busy enough in there when I was there.

Décor is great in there and it really feels authentic Italian.

Good to hear. Now that's decent value.
    I didn't eat in there, just got a coffee (excellent by the way, but it felt like a real nice place, nice staff and the food looked great. Looking forward to going for a big lunch there.

I'd say they are open Sunday also (and they don't seem to tweet about multinationals!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Went to Rooster Pil Pil in Victoria Cross last night. It was quite good. Both chicken burger and wings were very nice.

Also they don't serve booze there but we asked could we get a few cans from Centra and it was no problem.

Pity we were literally the only people sitting down for the 2 hours we were there. Only 2 people came in for takeaway also. Hope they do better on other nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The extra charge for some jalapeños just brought it home to me.

Did the owner serve you? I'm convinced that is what makes the difference. I tried Salt again (it's on my way into town), and the staff really are so bizaarly rigid! They have plates of scones etc on the counter, but if scone time is over, no amount of begging and pleading will persuade them to sell you one of them. Off they go to the bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

gimmick wrote: »
    Went to Rooster Pil Pil in Victoria Cross last night. It was quite good. Both chicken burger and wings were very nice.

Also they don't serve booze there but we asked could we get a few cans from Centra and it was no problem.

Pity we were literally the only people sitting down for the 2 hours we were there. Only 2 people came in for takeaway also. Hope they do better on other nights.
    To be honest i dont know how business savy the owners of this place are, i knew they were in for trouble a few weeks back when they had a hand written sign in the window saying they were looking for "Female Waitresses" , to post a sign like that in a place overloaded with well educated students is just stupidity at its finest

pwurple wrote: »
    Did the owner serve you? I'm convinced that is what makes the difference. I tried Salt again (it's on my way into town), and the staff really are so bizaarly rigid! They have plates of scones etc on the counter, but if scone time is over, no amount of begging and pleading will persuade them to sell you one of them. Off they go to the bin.

Surprisingly, it was the owner.
    I had previously had one served by a staff member with no extra charge.

We ate in Electric last night and it was probably the nicest meal I've had in a long time.
    4 of us ate and everyone was happy. The chicken and beef salad starters were really good and the only "fault" was that the chicken salad was a little big as a starter.
    We had 3 burgers and fish/chips for the mains and everyone was happy, especially with the burgers.
    The desserts were also very nice. I had baked alaska and it was 10/10. We had 2 orange cheesecakes that were maybe a little tangy/bitter for the people eating them but that was how they were meant to be, the last was a toffee pudding which again was a 10/10.
    Add in a few teas, and a glass of wine and it came to €130 which for food that everyone was delighted with seemed very good value. The service was also really good in there.
    I'll be back again.

Eat in Taste the tapas bar in Carrigaline last night. We had the selection starter for two and a main each. I had Thai curry and herself had Cod. Food was very nice €82 with a bottle of wine, but the service was very slow. We were there over an half an hour before the starter arrived and another 45 mins before we got the main course. That might be alright in Spain but not over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

We ate in Electric last night and it was probably the nicest meal I've had in a long time.
    4 of us ate and everyone was happy. The chicken and beef salad starters were really good and the only "fault" was that the chicken salad was a little big as a starter.
    We had 3 burgers and fish/chips for the mains and everyone was happy, especially with the burgers.
    The desserts were also very nice. I had baked alaska and it was 10/10. We had 2 orange cheesecakes that were maybe a little tangy/bitter for the people eating them but that was how they were meant to be, the last was a toffee pudding which again was a 10/10.
    Add in a few teas, and a glass of wine and it came to €130 which for food that everyone was delighted with seemed very good value. The service was also really good in there.
    I'll be back again.

Oh this is good to know, I booked a birthday meal there for next month and I seem to remember a couple of people mentioning here that they weren't happy with service/food. Fingers crossed it'll go well!

Karmella wrote: »
    Oh this is good to know, I booked a birthday meal there for next month and I seem to remember a couple of people mentioning here that they weren't happy with service/food. Fingers crossed it'll go well!

About 10 mins after we were finished our desserts and teas the waiter came over and said the table was booked again and asked us to move down to the bar. We booked the table late and apparently they told us this when we made the booking so fair enough. For a birthday it might be worth asking if he'd be rushed off and maybe it'd be possible to sort a table or corner downstairs for ye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

About 10 mins after we were finished our desserts and teas the waiter came over and said the table was booked again and asked us to move down to the bar. We booked the table late and apparently they told us this when we made the booking so fair enough. For a birthday it might be worth asking if he'd be rushed off and maybe it'd be possible to sort a table or corner downstairs for ye?

True, I've been given a time already that they need the table back, we have 2hrs & 15 mins. But that is a good idea re getting a space downstairs especially as it's a large party (12). I'll ask them.
    Thanks!

I'll be back again.

good to hear that you had a good time - the time i was there is was deplorable - i wrote a mail to complain (constructively) and in the reply, they "justified" all my issues - were extremely defensive, giving reasons for everything - but with NO APOLOGY!! I could not believe it. Whether is has improved or not I still could never return - as i said in a previous post, I brought guests there.. and was mortified..
    I heard after our visit that the standard had plummeted bigtime; the owner has been giving his attention to other ventures.. mgmt must have slipped in this time..
    Maybe they have pulled up their socks now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

anyone try here yet ?
    http://www.aliskitchencork.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

whatever76 wrote: »
    anyone try here yet ?
    http://www.aliskitchencork.com/

Yup, was there just before Christmas - had a bit of lunch. I had the corned beef sandwich which was very tasty, on lovely fresh bread! They have some savage looking sweet stuff though - cinnamon buns and the like, but didn't get to try any that day :(

It's small enough in there but nice atmosphere; must go back just for a cake and tea :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Any place doing a nice lamb shank these days ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

Any place doing a nice lamb shank these days ?

I had a really nice Lamb shank in a place I normally wouldn't eat in over xmas The Bodega. It was absolute perfection and they had a few taps on from across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

limnam wrote: »
    I had a really nice Lamb shank in a place I normally wouldn't eat in over xmas The Bodega. It was absolute perfection and they had a few taps on from across the road.

I suppose that was their special Christmas menu . Hopefully they put the shank on the main menu .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Milly33

So Bad Boy BBq or White Rabbit for a few people to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Not been to Bad Boy, but I think White Rabbit is decent for the price. Even though I think the portions have gotten smaller for sure. When it opened the feed for €10 was decent, and nice beers there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Went to Perrotts Garden Bistro in Hayfield Manor for dinner tonight. Wouldn't be somewhere I'd think of going but my Mother and Grandmother were up for the night staying there. Heard from a few people the restaurant there isn't amazing considering the price, so I didn't expect much...

But it was great! Had the seabass which was fab. My Mother had the veggie option which was a bean burger type thing and my Grandmother had the duck. Everyone really enjoyed it. Shame there is only one vegetarian main course, not much choice for my Mother. I would usually have the vegetarian option but I also eat fish and there was plenty of fish choices. Service was also great. Was quite expensive but what you expect in an expensive hotel. Nothing too over the top.

Was also in Orso over the weekend for my birthday dinner. Fab as usual! Had this beetroot, potato, goats cheese and squash dish which was fantastic. Also shared that lovely chocolate board. Very reasonable too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Milly33 wrote: »
    So Bad Boy BBq or White Rabbit for a few people to go

Only been to each place once, I'd say White Rabbit has the better food. Bad Boy was very... well, the place was a bit of a mess, the plates were a mess and the waitress didn't seem to know much about anything. I had ribs and the portion was huge, but they weren't fall off the bone nor did they really taste of anything besides the metric ton of bbq sauce they were swimming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Milly33

Thank you Nonoperational and Nerwen, yeah to be honest that's where my thoughts are coming from. All the Bad boy stuff looks a bit mingy and covered in sauce which I hate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Also shared that lovely chocolate board.

That sounds like a daycent idea. I've had plenty cheeseboards, but never a chocolate board!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭opus

whatever76 wrote: »
    I believe the Sultan in Penrose quay is good
    https://www.facebook.com/Sultan.Cork

Was there with a few friends last nights & it got a thumbs up all round. Think you can bring your own wine if you want.

Was in Cronins Crosshaven saturday night. Excellent as always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Went into son of a bun.

The burgers were really v good, nice crust on the outside, pink in the middle, awesome. Chips were meh, frozen yokes, not particularly crispy. Got nachos as well. They were ok, nothing special.

It's oddly jammers for a burger and chips joint. Kinda like a darker, louder Eddie Rockets, with beer.

great to see that the sultan now allows BYOB - ha ha - they had to succumb to the irish way

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wonka

yes happy to see the BYOB policy in the Sultan Cafe (although it is 5 EURO!). Going there on friday, and all reports so far are positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

wonka wrote: »
    yes happy to see the BYOB policy in the Sultan Cafe (although it is 5 EURO!). Going there on friday, and all reports so far are positive.

5 euro seems quite reasonable to me. They provide glasses, etc and having drinks usually prolongs the meal which means they would have slightly less availability throughout the night.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement