Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Being honest when i am going out to eat myself i would not go into places that where full of kids if i am going spending 50 euro on a meal as i dont wont screaming kids in my ear. Would others be like that when eating out ?.

I was having lunch one day with my father and they put us beside a screaming kid. we got up and moved to the other side of the Restaurant and the waitress came over to us and said i dont blame you when your having that in your ear ha ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Being honest when i am going out to eat myself i would not go into places that where full of kids if i am going spending 50 euro on a meal as i dont wont screaming kids in my ear. Would others be like that when eating out ?.

I was having lunch one day with my father and they put us beside a screaming kid. we got up and moved to the other side of the Restaurant and the waitress came over to us and said i dont blame you when your having that in your ear ha ha.

I don't think that's unusual. We'd often request a table away from kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, that's a disaster. How do some parents do that themselves? I have mine well warned before we go in the door of a place to behave, or we leave. I've never understood the thing where people let them race all over the place instead of sitting down... there's hot stuff that could fall on them. Or let them be screaming and ignore them, in public. Hullo like, put up with it at home if you want, but you can't do that to everyone else around.

Anyway, another good one for (well behaved) children is Italee. Food is great, they do half portions of everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Theres an Italian on Oliver Plunkett Street where the kids roam free, its like day care.

Can't remember the name of the place, very poor over priced pizza thou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

pwurple wrote: »
    Yes, that's a disaster. How do some parents do that themselves? I have mine well warned before we go in the door of a place to behave, or we leave. I've never understood the thing where people let them race all over the place instead of sitting down... there's hot stuff that could fall on them. Or let them be screaming and ignore them, in public. Hullo like, put up with it at home if you want, but you can't do that to everyone else around.

Anyway, another good one for (well behaved) children is Italee. Food is great, they do half portions of everything.

I used to work in a Restaurant for years and the story's i could tell you about kids. There is some lovely kids who will sit down and eat there dinner no problem and they play there DS or tablet when there board some would even read a book.

Then you have ones who would block the loos, break stuff by trowing around glasses and knifes and forks, Mash food into the floor, trow there food on the floor if they dont wont it, running around the place, going be hide the counter and into the kation, walking out the front door. But if i say anything to the kids i am the bad one ......

Sometimes the only way to teach kids is with a good wooden spooning ha ha :D and they will learn not to do it again ;)

Theres an Italian on Oliver Plunkett Street where the kids roam free, its like day care.

Can't remember the name of the place, very poor over priced pizza thou.

Sounds like Milano! Try Italee, as Pwurple suggests across the street! Much more authentic Italian food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

kcb wrote: »
    Plenty of decent Indian restaurants in Cork... You chose the worst unfortunately!

Raj Gaylord
    Haveli
    Iyers
    Indian Palace (on Marlboro st - I think that's the name)

Don't forget Eastern Tandoori!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Ate in Man Friday of Kinsale yesterday for the first time. Lunch menu only but it was fantastic, home made ice cream for a finish topped it off nicely

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭28srf0c

Some strange goings on over at Charcoal Grill (near Bierhaus) on Pope's Quay. As if having a kebab spot open up in the old Uncle Pete's place wasn't bad enough, half of the Charcoal Grill now seems to be an Indian - it's the Lal Quila crowd from Douglas. Over the door you have the Charcoal Grill sign, and beside that over the window you have Lal Quila Indian cuisine sign.

I went in to check out the menu. They still have all the BBQ ribs and German pork based stuff on the menu, but they don't actually serve this food anymore as it's a halal restaurant now.

Very confusing altogether.

I don't know who is running Lal quila, but that kind of thing really put me off them. Massive indian menu, chinese, thai, plus pizza and pasta and some kind of chicken piri piri thing as well? It just reeks of a place that is buying all this prepacked wholesale stuff in, defrosting to order. They may not be doing that, but it's the impression I get. I wish they could relax on a small bit on the range, and do less stuff, better.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭28srf0c

pwurple wrote: »
    I don't know who is running Lal quila, but that kind of thing really put me off them. Massive indian menu, chinese, thai, plus pizza and pasta and some kind of chicken piri piri thing as well?

Have you ever seen their takeaway menu? It's like a book. Massive yoke. How can they have that many ingredients fresh?

They've a funny review on tripadvisor though!

"Guys, I have eaten here a few times and all I can say is avoid. To my absolute disgust I discovered after having a meal here late on Saturday night all the staff live and sleep in a room at other end of the restaurant, I apologised to the staff member for keeping him so late and asked him had he far to go and he explained. 6 people in one room and the bathroom they use is the restaurant one. I taught this type of thing never happened. What more can I say"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Am heading to Cork for the weekend & was wondering how easy/difficult it would be to get a table for 2 at Elbow Lane around 7pm on a Friday evening. (I believe they don't take reservations.) Any ideas?

Also, any suggestions for quality cocktails in the city center? Not looking for 2 Long Island Iced Teas for a tenner. ;) More looking for a decent Whiskey Sour or a Manhattan.

Am heading to Cork for the weekend & was wondering how easy/difficult it would be to get a table for 2 at Elbow Lane around 7pm on a Friday evening. (I believe they don't take reservations.) Any ideas?

Your best bet might be to pop in half an hour or so before and give your name to the manager there. They'll ring you when a table is available and you could go for a drink nearby.
    Also, any suggestions for quality cocktails in the city center? Not looking for 2 Long Island Iced Teas for a tenner. ;) More looking for a decent Whiskey Sour or a Manhattan.

BDSM on North Main St do great cocktails, but unfortunately it's at the other end of the city to Elbow Lane! Cornstore is a restaurant on Cornmarket St (again not on the Elbow Lane side of town, I'm afraid) which does a good cocktail but I wouldn't bother with the food there ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

32 Marlboro Street for cocktails! Small bar fairly close to Elbow Lane, lovely cocktails..

Lia_lia wrote: »
    32 Marlboro Street for cocktails! Small bar fairly close to Elbow Lane, lovely cocktails..

Cool, I've never been in that place.

Anyone know has something new gone into the spot on Bridge St where 6ix used to be? Boqueria before that? I used to like the odd cocktail there.

Malari wrote: »
    Cool, I've never been in that place.

Anyone know has something new gone into the spot on Bridge St where 6ix used to be? Boqueria before that? I used to like the odd cocktail there.

Yes it's called Boq I think. Haven't been there yet though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

BarBoq yeah, didnt think much of it over Christmas. Had no cold draught pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

kcb wrote: »
    Plenty of decent Indian restaurants in Cork... You chose the worst unfortunately!

Raj Gaylord
    Haveli
    Iyers
    Indian Palace (on Marlboro st - I think that's the name)

Indian Palace closed last year I believe, used to be on Prince's street. There's a "tapas" place called Tedo where they used to be now.

As for getting a proper curry in Cork City, you're out of luck. Iyers, as awesome as it is, just doesn't do it for me as I want a decent lamb rogan josh. Eastern Tandoori and Bombay Palace are both terrible if you're unlucky and mediocre if you're lucky on the day, everywhere else is too far out for people that don't drive. I guess there might be take out somewhere...? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Your best bet might be to pop in half an hour or so before and give your name to the manager there. They'll ring you when a table is available and you could go for a drink nearby.

I'd go more than a half hour before, we've managed to go there once and it was over an hour's wait on a Saturday at the start of January. Worth it though! Also bear in mind some of the "tables" are seats at the bar, which is where we were. Could be a longer wait for an actual table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

Sounds like Milano! Try Italee, as Pwurple suggests across the street! Much more authentic Italian food.

Milano's is much improved over the past year. Don't knock it!

mccard wrote: »

Probably still full of kids though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Heading somewhere Saturday night with the wife cause it was our anniversary last weekend but we don't do the whole Valentines thing.
    Our usual spots are The Barn, Strasbourg Goose or Rossinis but my work colleague is forever raving about Blackrock castle so has anyone had any experiences there or any other recommendations.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

The Castle is nice but a little over-rated.. Nice setting though...

Must say for a nice cozy evening out and for something different I am partial to the Ivory tower..
    Nosta is another nice spot nothing to cozy or anything about the place but nice food

Probably still full of kids though :pac:

Not disputing that but you cant say that the pizza is below par when it is far from it.

Not disputing that but you cant say that the pizza is below par when it is far from it.

I wasn't the one who said that! The poster I replied to did, and I guessed the restaurant they were talking about. I never go in there, so I have no opinion on the pizza. But it's a chain restaurant and I do think the food in general is more authentic in Italee.

• Advertisement

Sure, the response wasn't aimed specifically at you.

As for authentic all of the Pizzaiolo in Milano are Italian.

I never heard that word before! Had to look it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

That the rebranded pizza express place? Always cracks me up seeing people go in there wearing their Sunday best, so far removed from the attire of th average pizza express patron in the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Milano do excellent offers if you sign up for their emails, can be pricey otherwise for what it is.

Heading somewhere Saturday night with the wife cause it was our anniversary last weekend but we don't do the whole Valentines thing.
    Our usual spots are The Barn, Strasbourg Goose or Rossinis but my work colleague is forever raving about Blackrock castle so has anyone had any experiences there or any other recommendations.
    Thanks.

Ate in Zamora (Academy St) on Valentines night, great food, great service. Would heartily recommend it. Nosta as mentioned above, or Il Padrino do great food too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yeah I never thought Milanos well in Cork anywho was that bad.. It is a family friendly restaurant that is it...

We got take out from them twice as it was hard to find Italian take away and it was loverly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Any recommendations for a decent steak other than Elbow Lane? Mrs Billy fancies Asian food (Indian or Thai) on Saturday - so if anyone has any recommendations I'm all ears. Reading Trip Advisor reviews is very 'samey' after a while. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Any recommendations for a decent steak other than Elbow Lane? Mrs Billy fancies Asian food (Indian or Thai) on Saturday - so if anyone has any recommendations I'm all ears. Reading Trip Advisor reviews is very 'samey' after a while. :o

For Indian you won't get anything better than iyers IMO.
    It's vegetarian though in case that's an issue you can't book a table, it's small and hasn't got great opening hours :pac: but it's so worth it.

I know you didn't mention Chinese but Yuan Ming Yuan is not only the best Chinese in Cork it's probably the best in Ireland I haven't tasted better anywhere it really is miles ahead of anyone else.

Steak is a bit more tricky it depends on too many factors but you probably won't go wrong in somewhere like liberty grill

I'm delighted someone else mentioned Liberty Grill for steak, as that's what I always recommend but I wasn't sure if anyone would agree! I really think they are spot on. I like my fillet steak blue and that's what I get every time. I even asked the waiter to tell the chef how good it was :-)

I'd also agree with Yuan Ming Yuan. The dim sum menu is outstanding. My friend in London who eats out a lot said she hasn't found anything that comes close.

That "Golden Elephant" place in Douglas is supposed to be great. It's a Thai. Still haven't tried it though! Not in the city, however. Don't really know of any fantastic Thai/Indian places in the city unfortunately.

I've also heard the steak in Liberty Grill is great. I don't eat meat but often ate there with my OH and he loves steak. Think Electric are supposed to be good for steak too.

Elbow lane 7pm at the weekend is iffy... The last time I was there on a friday there was a queue of 12 people outside the door at 5pm waiting to get in. i'd say get there around 5:30 or 6 if you can, and be prepared to be told to come back in an hour or later.

Cocktails, the best espresso martini I've had around was in Soho on grand parade, but sheesh I hate all the screens and sports on in there. Bar pigalle on barrack street would be a cooler spot for cocktails. Mix of dj's and sometimes jazz in there, other side of town to elbow lane though.

Thanks.

Blackrock castle is lovely. It's the same group of restaurants as market lane,orso, elbow lane, a similar style of food and service to market lane, if you've ever been in there. Not quite a romantic spot though? I kind of put it as better for groups of friends or collegues, with the small tables and glass surrounds, but that's just me maybe.

I love Club brasserie for a couple's night out too, we were there for our last anniversary and it was lovely. I had duck confit, he had a steak, Both very very good.
    (Ps hillybilly, that's the other place I'd recommend for steak)

Zamora is excellent food as well, nice central location so can get a drink nearby afterwards or have a wander around town beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Thanks.

Market lane is the same people as blackrock castle. I've never eaten something there I didn't like, and it's in town if you're looking to go out after or have a drink with it.

Edit: pwurple had it covered!

Ooh yes, Bar Pigalle is a good one, forgot about that spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Coqbull excellent as always last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

gimmick wrote: »
    Coqbull excellent as always last night.

Haven't heard a lot of people talk about Coqbull recently - it seems to be all about Son of a Bun at the moment so glad to hear that it's still doing the business - must pay a visit there again soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Lia_lia wrote: »

They do good food too, check out the food porn on their Facebook page! I've had their XL Double Cheeseburger, but haven't brought myself to spend €25 on 'The Beast Burger' yet!

They also do steak, looks great, but I haven't actually tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

Does anyone know if they do vegetarian dim sum in yuan ming yuan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

you know, this thread really shows how people's opinions can vary vastly as to what is a good/bad restaurant experience..

one'e hit can be another persons miss!! crazy.

Moghead wrote: »

There are definitely some non-meat ones...bean curd, veg spring rolls, etc

Moghead wrote: »

Definetly yes. One of my favourite ones, the crispy taro-root ones are meat free. There's something like spicy seaweed with noodes. Probably some veggie dumplings too.

And loads of the non dim sum menu, a whole veggie section I think.

If your veggie friend is as sensitive as one of mine, you might read the dim sum menu to them (skipping some of the items like chicken feet or duck tongues). My buddy went green even reading them.

Where should I take my mom for dinner for Mother's day? Not actually on the day itself, in fact. Somewhere we won't be rushed and there's a good wine menu! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

What's the consensus on Updown? Heading for an early dinner on Saturday (5:30/6) and was planning on going to Son of a Bun which we've been to before and loved, but I have a discount code that gives me 20% off Updown so was going to chance there instead. How does it compare to SOAB?

ncmc wrote: »
    What's the consensus on Updown? Heading for an early dinner on Saturday (5:30/6) and was planning on going to Son of a Bun which we've been to before and loved, but I have a discount code that gives me 20% off Updown so was going to chance there instead. How does it compare to SOAB?

It's alright. Can't really say stronger than that. Non offensive, didn't bother me.

I not mad into son of a bun either mind you though, so maybe it's perfect for ya. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 schofferhofer

ncmc wrote: »

I was really really disappointed with Updown. My main issue was with the portion size. For the price you are paying, I feel it is not great. 5€ for 3 small falafel balls, in starters, is an example. However that is just my opinion. I like to get value for money. I don't mind paying more if I get something for it but do have a problem otherwise.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Updown is grand, I'd prefer Son of a Bun.
    They're quite different. Updown has a wider range on the menu. Son of a Bun is more casual and the burgers are very nice. Depends what you want really.

I reviewed Updown couple months back:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97526688&postcount=3303

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement