Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

yeah there is no comparison b/w son on a bun and uptown.. two totally different offerings and target markets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Also, any suggestions for quality cocktails in the city center? Not looking for 2 Long Island Iced Teas for a tenner. ;) More looking for a decent Whiskey Sour or a Manhattan.

A bit late, but I was in Pigalle recently and was really impressed by the cocktails. Really high quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

sporina wrote: »
    yeah there is no comparison b/w son on a bun and uptown.. two totally different offerings and target markets

Both serving food, however.

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

0c8eec895db688c19b1d8a40494f25c1.jpg

• Advertisement

I was home in Cork last night for a flying visit, and we ordered takeaway from Yuan Ming Yuan. Very impressed, tasty smoked chicken shreds, Singapore noodles, tangy General Tso's chicken and aromatic lamb. A bit pricier than your average takeaway but very good and fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I've eaten in Tedo twice recently and really enjoyed it both times. Good choice of tapas, and the first time I had a really nice Bounty cheesecake dessert. Wasn't on the menu the second time, unfortunately!

Also very impressed by Golden Elephant in Douglas. Far nicer than Nakon Thai, I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Standards have really dropped in Burritos and Blues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

gimmick wrote: »

Our burritos were freezing last time we went there, cheese nachos hard. Not great. Haven't been back since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

We ended up going to No 5 Fenn's Quay on Friday. Absolutely cracking food & brilliant service. We couldn't fault it at all.

Saturday, we went to Miyazaki. This was a revelation. The food was just spectacular & I walked out grinning from ear to ear I was so happy. I would have quite happily stayed to eat my way through the entire menu.

On the cocktail side - BDSM was worth the visit. Mrs B enjoyed the cocktails at The Cornstore but I wasn't impressed to be honest. I gave mine to Mrs B & stuck to the whiskey. Unfortunately, we never made it to Pigalle. Next time. An honourable mention to Bar Barossa for lovely G&Ts, friendly service & great seats for people-watching on a Saturday afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

It's dreadful.

Chicken was crunchy and cold, everything seemed to be heated to different temperatures so it was a mess. Staff are also particularly rude (as they are in B&Bs in Dublin)

In comparison, Amigo on Washington Street and in Blackpool have friendly staff and I've never had issues with temperature, mess, etc in their burritos.

I won't recommend Burritos & Blues to anyone.

--

Checked out the Meatball Place recently. Nice food, well priced. Would be happy to go back. Had beef meatballs, tomato and red onion sauce and mashed potato. Mountain of food for €10 it must be said.

OH got the creamed spinach - very nice I must say!

was in the Greenroom today in Midleton -cafe/bistro part of Sage.. quality is all I can say.. this is what food and service should be.. the benchmark for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Yep great place is Sage. Donovans in Mideleton and the Farm Gate are great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I see a new place is due to open at the end of cornmarket street on the quay side - where the Irish Cancer Society shop used to be - think it's called the Red Dragon - Chinese, Thai and Fillipino cuisine.

leahyl wrote: »
    I see a new place is due to open at the end of cornmarket street on the quay side - where the Irish Cancer Society shop used to be - think it's called the Red Dragon - Chinese, Thai and Fillipino cuisine.

good to know...
    need another thai place - still miss Banna...

Anyone tried Soba yet in Glanmire or Blackpool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Annie's is closed. Seemingly the lease wasn't renewed.

northgirl wrote: »
    Annie's is closed. Seemingly the lease wasn't renewed.

you mean Lavelle's?

you mean Lavelle's?

Still says Annie's on the building...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

I switched to Amigos a while back, my only gripe is their limited choice of hot sauces.

I'd love a Boojum in Cork, their 'secret' naga sauce is amazing!

northgirl wrote: »
    Still says Annie's on the building...

lavelle's bar and bistro has been its name in an age

• Advertisement

Sure, the last proprietors called it Lavelle's... Most folk will recall it as Annie's as it's been known for many years previous..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

It will always be Annie's

lavelle's. pfft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

Cool_CM wrote: »
    I switched to Amigos a while back, my only gripe is their limited choice of hot sauces.

I'd love a Boojum in Cork, their 'secret' naga sauce is amazing!

Agree totally - cork crying out for a Boojum !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

limnam wrote: »

lavelle's. pfft.

My dad still knows Mc Donalds in Daunt Square as Mandys lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Is that Annie's in Sunday's Well you're talking about? Very sorry to hear that. Had a super meal there a couple of years back (thanks to recommendations on this thread) the food was superb and the pub itself is lovely.

Didn't the guy who was the chef in Augustines in the Clarion take Annies over? I heard that initially there were a few teething problems but that the food was excellent then, so I imagined they were doing well. Was only talking with my friend about going there for lunch someday as we work close enough to it. That's a pity if it's closed again.

Didn't the guy who was the chef in Augustines in the Clarion take Annies over? I heard that initially there were a few teething problems but that the food was excellent then, so I imagined they were doing well. Was only talking with my friend about going there for lunch someday as we work close enough to it. That's a pity if it's closed again.

Yeah, that's what I heard too but as far as I know after the 12 months they decided not to renew.

.red. wrote: »
    My dad still knows Mc Donalds in Daunt Square as Mandys lol

I remember a trip to Mandys being a really big deal as a kid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

dudara wrote: »

My dad used to deliver into them. At christmas they used to give him a load of vouchers for meals which he would give us if we were going to town. Some of the staff would ask where we got them and when we said from Mr. Red they would usually give us the vouchers back with the meal. I used to sell them the following monday in school for a pound!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

good to know...
    need another thai place - still miss Banna...

Anyone tried Soba yet in Glanmire or Blackpool?

Tried the Blackpool one, was alright. Massive portions and very heavy on the meat I felt, but otherwise nothing wrong with it. I had an udon noodle dish I can't quite remember, maybe teriyaki? I would have liked more noodles in it, bit of a first world problem. :p

Quick service, about average prices. If I had a choice I'd still go for Chili Padi, but in that part of town it's not a bad choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

nerwen wrote: »
    Tried the Blackpool one, was alright. Massive portions and very heavy on the meat I felt, but otherwise nothing wrong with it. I had an udon noodle dish I can't quite remember, maybe teriyaki? I would have liked more noodles in it, bit of a first world problem. :p

Quick service, about average prices. If I had a choice I'd still go for Chili Padi, but in that part of town it's not a bad choice.

I thought you were going to say that the only other problem was that they didn't charge you enough!! We all have our cross to bear, I suppose!

limnam wrote: »

lavelle's. pfft.

yeah, i guess for some, like the same way that my aunt still calls the sweets Starburst, Opal Fruits... lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

dudara wrote:

Dont mind mandys ,burgerland on patrick street was around before mandys - very flash back then ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm prettypretty sure that's going to be a shop rather than a restaurant.

I'm prettypretty sure that's going to be a shop rather than a restaurant.

Oh really? My mistake, I just assumed, apologies.

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    Dont mind mandys ,burgerland on patrick street was around before mandys - very flash back then ..

gosh - we use to go to burgerland after clubs back when i was at college - i don't eat burgers.. but it was part of the night out, in a way..

had totally forgotten about it

Markcheese wrote: »

I remember that too. Chicken fillet burger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My Mother worked in Burgerland when she lived in Cork for a summer in the 80's. :D

Anyone remember Dayvilles 32 flavour ice cream that opened next door to Burgerland on Patrick's Street?
    It was subsequently incorporated into Burgerland and eventually they did away with it altogether and the space was just extra seating.

It was a big deal when it first opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Anyone remember Dayvilles 32 flavour ice cream that opened next door to Burgerland on Patrick's Street?
    It was subsequently incorporated into Burgerland and eventually they did away with it altogether and the space was just extra seating.

It was a big deal when it first opened.
    It sounds like when we had Paddy Garibaldis and when Nickerbockerglorys were new

• Advertisement

kcb wrote: »
    It sounds like when we had Paddy Garibaldis and when Nickerbockerglorys were new

Paddy Garibaldis... haven't thought of that place in forever!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Looking to treat myself in town today, whats best from the ones a mentioned? Is there even better places?

Merged this thread with Restaurant Recommendation thread - we don't really need a separate thread for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

Son of a bun imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

I can recommend son of a bun also, that being said I havent been to the others so cant offer a comparison
    I agree with c montgomery about the wings being great

Just had the lunch deal in Tandoori Nights on McCurtain Street.
    Really tasty and ridiculously good value.
    €5 for a Thaali - four small dishes served with pilau rice and naan.
    Not sure how they're making money on it, though.

Just had the lunch deal in Tandoori Nights on McCurtain Street.
    Really tasty and ridiculously good value.
    €5 for a Thaali - four small dishes served with pilau rice and naan.
    Not sure how they're making money on it, though.

never heard of it - there are so many places on McC street...

I have to try the fish wife soon.. meant to be the best

I have to try the fish wife soon.. meant to be the best

Ate there the other night and it was unreal. The chips were just perfect, and the fish was lovely. Good value too (they do a student fish & chips for a fiver).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Ate there the other night and it was unreal. The chips were just perfect, and the fish was lovely. Good value too (they do a student fish & chips for a fiver).
    Is that a takeaway or sit down place...sounds nice.

There's a small little counter inside the place, seats about four. I've been lucky any time I've gone, but if there's no spot there you could have them deliver to the pub over the road. Haven't done that myself yet, but it's a service they advertise and it sounds like a solid plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

There's a small little counter inside the place, seats about four. I've been lucky any time I've gone, but if there's no spot there you could have them deliver to the pub over the road. Haven't done that myself yet, but it's a service they advertise and it sounds like a solid plan.
    Its sounding better every time you post.Hope theres no spot free when I try it out:pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement