Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

whatever76 wrote: »

That's because tripadvisor is mainly populated by tourists rather than locals, and Dublin and Dingle would get way more tourists than Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

pwurple wrote: »
    That's because tripadvisor is mainly populated by tourists rather than locals, and Dublin and Dingle would get way more tourists than Cork.

Or could it be that Cork doesn't have any restaurants that deserve to be on Ireland's top 10? We have no fine dining restaurants of merit in Cork imo.
    Certainly not Jacob's and not Les Gourmandises either. Green's seems to be hit and miss and I can't think of any other contenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Or could it be that Cork doesn't have any restaurants that deserve to be on Ireland's top 10? We have no fine dining restaurants of merit in Cork imo.
    Certainly not Jacob's and not Les Gourmandises either. Green's seems to be hit and miss and I can't think of any other contenders.

It's probably a little bit of both, but, IMO, there's a huge range of good restaurants in Cork, and far fewer great ones than we'd like to admit.

We have an awful lot of middle-of-the-road fare serving similar things that are packed out every night of the week.

I have no issue with these places - they're successful in an industry that is difficult to thrive in, but let's be real - Coqbull isn't about to appear on too many 'best in Ireland' lists is it?

It's probably a little bit of both, but, IMO, there's a huge range of good restaurants in Cork, and far fewer great ones than we'd like to admit.

We have an awful lot of middle-of-the-road fare serving similar things that are packed out every night of the week.

I have no issue with these places - they're successful in an industry that is difficult to thrive in, but let's be real - Coqbull isn't about to appear on too many 'best in Ireland' lists is it?

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think Cork has great choice of good casual dining.
    I think Iyer's is one of the best places to eat in the country but it's not really a restaurant.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think Cork has great choice of good casual dining.
    I think Iyer's is one of the best places to eat in the country but it's not really a restaurant.

Spot on.

We've got a great range of food, but no one has quite condensed that into one unmissable top restaurant.

Iyer's, Miyazaki, there are a few others too that are all well worth a look, but won't make it onto this lists. I wouldn't put too much credence in them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

We finally agree! We have no decent proper fine dining restaurant that I know of.

Went to Gallo again recently. I think it's really really great.

We finally agree! We have no decent proper fine dining restaurant that I know of.

Went to Gallo again recently. I think it's really really great.

Flemings?
    Hayfield manor?
    Bastion?
    Ballymaloe (ish... country house style).
    Cafe paradiso?
    Ivory tower (I know i know, inconsistant)

Les gourmandaise certainly used to be good, but I haven't been there in yonks. Augustines was the business, but I don't know was there no demand or are Cork people just mostly heathens who want spuds and more spuds or what. They couldn't make it work anyway for whatever reason.

Anyway, I've seen dopey places altogether on the top of tripadvisor, so I wouldn't pay it any heed at all in terms of rankings. The reviews I do read, but the rankings are bananas.

Ps, try Bastion.

Flemings?
    Hayfield manor?
    Bastion?
    Ballymaloe (ish... country house style).
    Cafe paradiso?
    Ivory tower (I know i know, inconsistant)

Les gourmandaise certainly used to be good, but I haven't been there in yonks. Augustines was the business, but I don't know was there no demand or are Cork people just mostly heathens who want spuds and more spuds or what. They couldn't make it work anyway for whatever reason.

Anyway, I've seen dopey places altogether on the top of tripadvisor, so I wouldn't pay it any heed at all in terms of rankings. The reviews I do read, but the rankings are bananas.

Ps, try Bastion.

Thanks. Must definitely try Bastion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Thanks. Must definitely try Bastion.

try soon as Bastion is a good bet to get a Michelin star in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭sporina

not Mitchelin Star but I loveeeee ORSO... I wish we had more middle eastern style restaurants in cork..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Bastion! never heard of it TBH, where is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

roundymac wrote: »

It's in Kinsale but I've never tried it. The only reason I know it's there is because my eye was drawn to the "Prosecco on tap" sign outside :pac:

roundymac wrote: »

It's there about a year maybe?

Map is on their website.

http://www.bastionkinsale.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

http://m.independent.ie/life/food-drink/rachel-serves-up-her-first-restaurant-in-cork-of-course-35153542.html?campaign_id=A100

Rachel Allen to open a new restaurant on Washington St 5500 sq ft and seats 130, that's huge. I wonder what premises she's taking over. It's nice to see that end of town getting regenerated. Between the Capital and the plans for the Beamish site, it's a good choice of location by her.

ncmc wrote: »
    http://m.independent.ie/life/food-drink/rachel-serves-up-her-first-restaurant-in-cork-of-course-35153542.html?campaign_id=A100

Rachel Allen to open a new restaurant on Washington St 5500 sq ft and seats 130, that's huge. I wonder what premises she's taking over. It's nice to see that end of town getting regenerated. Between the Capital and the plans for the Beamish site, it's a good choice of location by her.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/planning-sought-new-barrestaurant/2507540/

Echo reported that planning permission was sought for a restaurant in the former courthouse chambers earlier this year. Presumably it's that one? There wouldn't be too many other locations that'd be big enough, and no others that I can think of in the area.

Good news. Imagine it will have a market lane type of vibe.

130 covers sounds big, I'm trying to think of other restaurants in Cork that would hold so many. Only one I can think of is Luigi's

It sounds like it's the same site as Pi was in - where Chambers is now.
    Pi was very large.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Square Deal??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

St James,s pub looked closed this weekend, maybe there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭what the hell!

farmerjj wrote: »
    St James,s pub looked closed this weekend, maybe there.

They're closed over a licensing issue according to their FB. Seems to be taking a while to sort out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They're closed over a licensing issue according to their FB. Seems to be taking a while to sort out!

Not what I was told.

ncmc wrote: »

The empty site next to Liberty Grill its going into, formerly Cork Film Services. They have been at it since August, 3 storey restaurant going in there.

She is utterly painful, cant stand her, still a "celebrity" restaurant for the cork scene will be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Hi All, Looking for a recommendation for Saturday afternoon, Gentlemens day out followed by pinting so I'd like to book lunch where the steak is good & they serve Whiskey

Was thinking Greenes/Isaacs but it put me to thinking where's the best Steak in Cork?

• Advertisement

D'Agger wrote: »
    Hi All, Looking for a recommendation for Saturday afternoon, Gentlemens day out followed by pinting so I'd like to book lunch where the steak is good & they serve Whiskey

Was thinking Greenes/Isaacs but it put me to thinking where's the best Steak in Cork?

Elbow Lane is the best but I'm not sure it has reopened yet./

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

rob316 wrote: »
    Elbow Lane is the best but I'm not sure it has reopened yet./
    Was thinking that but it's still closed it appears from their site, yet to eat there so gutted to see it's closed as I've heard great things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

D'Agger wrote: »

Isaacs do a nice steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Was in Cronins Bar in Crosshaven at the W/E, starters were average, mains were good, then Fish & Chips will always be good. However the menu is very limited and has'nt changed for a very long time apart from a few "specials".

The good, the great and the down right ugly.

Just a few places I was in, in the last week or so.

Sago - The place that replaced Chilli Padi on Fr Matthew St. I had the Singapore noodles. Plenty of chicken, 5 pieces of Prawn and just a very tasty bite to eat. €8 take out an absolute steal.

The Sextant, myself and my wife had brunch. I had the chorizo hash, nice size portion, came to together very well, 2 perfectly poached eggs and lovely toast. Delicious.
    Herself had the French toast, said it was the best she has had in a while, fairly big compliment I felt considering we spent a month in the states in the summer, eating pancakes and French toast every blood day for breakfast.

The Model Farm formely McCarthys - where to begin.
    Had my brothers graduation lunch there, the starters were good, I had a black pudding and apple salad, I felt the pudding was over done but it was a nice dish.
    The mains were nothing short of awful though.

I had a smoked haddock croquettes and chips. Plate came, 3 giant turds on the plate it looked like, I felt sick eating it, the texture was like baby food just pure mush. The chips were soggy and the potato just tasted
    wrong.
    Father had the same, had the same problems.

Mother had fish and chips - the batter tasted like washing up liquid. Peas were like a tin dumped into a dip bowl.
    Brother had beef, the garlic potatoes were so overpowering.
    No one was really happy with their food.

Such a shame I expected so much more considering they spent a fortune just refurbishing the place and moving towards been a gastro pub than a pub that does food. Not good for a local business in a suburb.

• Advertisement

The empty site next to Liberty Grill its going into, formerly Cork Film Services. They have been at it since August, 3 storey restaurant going in there.

She is utterly painful, cant stand her, still a "celebrity" restaurant for the cork scene will be good.

Wow, Is that place 5500sqft?

Maybe you'll get the opportunity to tell her how you much can't stand her the next time you meet her so. i'd say she'd be delighted to hear your considered opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Maybe you'll get the opportunity to tell her how you much can't stand her the next time you meet her so. i'd say she'd be delighted to hear your considered opinion.

She doesn't come across well for me either. Seems very forced. The accent really doesn't help her. Sister has worked with her a few times and says she lovely in reality. Doesn't say the same thing about Darina or Myrtle.

wtf the next time I meet her? she is unbearable have you ever heard her or watched any of her shows? comes across totally false

She doesn't come across well for me either. Seems very forced. The accent really doesn't help her. Sister has worked with her a few times and says she lovely in reality. Doesn't say the same thing about Darina or Myrtle.

Thats the main thing, glad to hear that.

wtf the next time I meet her? she is unbearable have you ever heard her or watched any of her shows? comes across totally false

Oh right, i thought the way you had such a strong opinion on you must actually have some dealings with her.

No, I don't watch a lot of telly, so havn't seen it, but she's about midleton a bit with the kids, so I've met her a few times. Didn't do much to inspire that kind of pure hatred those times anyway. Meh.

Oh right, i thought the way you had such a strong opinion on you must actually have some dealings with her.

No, I don't watch a lot of telly, so havn't seen it, but she's about midleton a bit with the kids, so I've met her a few times. Didn't do much to inspire that kind of pure hatred those times anyway. Meh.

pure hatred that's a bit ott. All I said is she comes across poorly anytime I have seen her.

Well I'm glad she is nice according to people who have met her, I never said she wasn't.

pure hatred that's a bit ott. All I said is she comes across poorly anytime I have seen her.

Well I'm glad she is nice according to people who have met her, I never said she wasn't.

Yes, it would be kinda ott wouldn't it. Here is what you wrote, in a public forum, about someone you haven't met. "Can't stand her" , "utterly painful" , "she is unbearable".

But you certainly never said she wasn't "nice".

Anyway, I'll leave it. Just find it weird how female public figures get completely hauled over coals and how personal the character assassination is. See above, the other two women there (darina and myrtle allen) are picked out for attack, but no-one even mentioning the blokes in that enterprise.

Hope the place does well for them and improves the washington street area another bit.

Yes, it would be kinda ott wouldn't it. Here is what you wrote, in a public forum, about someone you haven't met. "Can't stand her" , "utterly painful" , "she is unbearable".

But you certainly never said she wasn't "nice".

Anyway, I'll leave it. Just find it weird how female public figures get completely hauled over coals and how personal the character assassination is. See above, the other two women there (darina and myrtle allen) are picked out for attack, but no-one even mentioning the blokes in that enterprise.

Hope the place does well for them and improves the washington street area another bit.
    Ah in fairness, I don’t think he hauled her over the coals or that it has anything to do with gender. Saying someone is painful and that you can’t stand her is hardly character assassination. I think we’re all guilty of judging celebrities on their public persona. I would have to agree with him, I wouldn’t be a fan of her myself, not keen on the sickly sweet persona or the accent. If you want a bit of gender balance, I feel the same way about Donal Skeehan! He could be the nicest man in the world and rescue puppies and make tea for old ladies in his spare time and I’d still have to turn the channel when I come across him!

That all said, I’m still glad to see her opening the restaurant and as I said in my original post, it’s exciting to see what is happening that end of town. I’ll definitely give her restaurant a go when it opens.

sad to see that people will judge someone because of their accent etc..

I would have thought that we as a nation had progressed a little in that department..

nobody has mentioned whether or not she can cook etc or mentioned anything of her skill which is directly related to the opening of her new restaurant..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ok guys, can we move on please, kind of getting off topic now....

With regard to the restaurant Rachel Allen is opening, it's definitely the place across from the courthouse, my friend saw planning permission notice on it today.

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    Ok guys, can we move on please, kind of getting off topic now....

With regard to the restaurant Rachel Allen is opening, it's definitely the place across from the courthouse, my friend saw planning permission notice on it today.

Where Doran interiors was? Actually that would be big enough for what they are talking about.

You also have a 3 storey restaurant going into the cork film services building too, so lots happening on the street.

I'll be 20 stone by Christmas the fish wife just opened on the grand parade where pizza Italia was. I only live on south gate Bridge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

https://twitter.com/NiallHarbison/status/791035960389697536

i know the burrito joint is Boojums but anyone have any ideas what burger place it is?

https://twitter.com/NiallHarbison/status/791035960389697536

i know the burrito joint is Boojums but anyone have any ideas what burger place it is?

Has to be Bunsen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

If Boojum comes I will be a very happy camper! Yum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Has to be Bunsen!

we can only dream! best burger i've ever had, slighlty better than shakeshack and five guys in the US. i had 3 bunsen in one day when i was in dublin last, each burger as good as the last!
    If Boojum comes I will be a very happy camper! Yum

boojum is pretty much nailed on if the worried talk from competing Cork burrito places are to believed.

Two new places on Washington street, new fish wife, Bunsen and boojum!

This is just brill!

we can only dream! best burger i've ever had, slighlty better than shakeshack and five guys in the US. i had 3 bunsen in one day when i was in dublin last, each burger as good as the last!

boojum is pretty much nailed on if the worried talk from competing Cork burrito places are to believed.

some competition for Buritto n Blues - when ever I pass by it, there is a queue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Delighted to see the new Fish Wife opening on Grand Parade - good to attract a bit of food into that stretch (though I do have a huge soft spot for the old pizza joint that was there, and am sad to see it gone)

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Delighted to see the new Fish Wife opening on Grand Parade - good to attract a bit of food into that stretch (though I do have a huge soft spot for the old pizza joint that was there, and am sad to see it gone)

It's gone a while, his sons own La Tana and La Palmento now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement